Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Madkal posted:

Talking about strange rules when it comes to marketing addictive stuff I've noticed that TV commercials in Canada for alcohol don't actually show anyone drinking. They will have a scene in a bar, beers all around, people talking and laughing and doing whatever, but no-one actually drinks. The glass never touches someones lips, no one takes a gulp. Nothing. It kind of seems strange because if you were at a bar you would expect to see people drinking, especially if you heard an voice over telling you how smooth tasting the beer in front of you is.

The U.S. has laws where you aren't allowed to show people drinking alcohol on screen. You can have pictures of alcohol, bottles of it, glasses of it, whatever, people holding it, these things are fine. The ban is on drinking it. Sounds like Canada has the same law or they're just running U.S. adverts.

That's why you'll see happy 20-somethings moving like they're going to drink but then laughing or something. Some shows have gotten around this by having a bunch of unlabeled bottles and never saying that it's alcohol or that they're in a place where alcohol is consumed. I mean places where people drink shots of cold tea exist, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Drunk Nerds posted:

This popped up while I was browsing the NFL's website today:

Aren't almond farmers one of the reasons for California's drought?

I know I've seen people explicitly drinking booze on TV, and not in something like Mad Men, but in sitcoms and such. Maybe its just ads?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We have a drought but nobody appears to give a gently caress. I've walked past some golf courses and the sprinklers are still on full power every day.

And yeah farmers are still growing those almonds that use up a ton of water so people can get their precious almond milk.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mu Zeta posted:

We have a drought but nobody appears to give a gently caress. I've walked past some golf courses and the sprinklers are still on full power every day.

And yeah farmers are still growing those almonds that use up a ton of water so people can get their precious almond milk.

Golf is a plague upon the land. And Almond Milk is gross, and the ads really piss me off. Why do healthy food ads take such a condescending tone? Or is that just the nature of healthy eating all natural industry?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Because they have to take the position that they know better than you, you dumb ignorant PLEBES DRINK OUR ARTISAN-CRAFTED ANTIQUE RECIPE YAKSNOT CULTURE ALMOND gently caress because otherwise the people who buy said almond gently caress wouldn't know what to drink. According to marketing, anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It hasn't rained here in 5 years. This is the forecast for the week. Send help and gently caress almonds.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Yeah, screw almonds, right now the trend is totally on mealworms and plain roasted locusts. Why eat kale when you can get your veggies through the transitive property?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

I looked this up since I've never heard about it before, and I don't think that the slogan was the campaign's biggest problem.

I was catching up to this thread and I have to say, that middle one has some terrible implications, even more so than the rest!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

twistedmentat posted:

Golf is a plague upon the land.

gently caress golf courses, even where I live if there's a drought and everyone has to budget their water so have to choose between showering or flushing the toilet more than once a day, guess who's still watering all of their courses because the tourists come here to see them? gently caress those assholes. I've driven by golf courses who had sprinklers just spraying into their own ponds and into the parking lot!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Australia has the same problem, with farmers in drought country trying to grow rice FFS. Oh well, at least the north of the country has tropical weather and lots of rain so I see the near future as cities and farmers moving into the near empty north. E: even the south west is plenty wet.
Bigger problem for the US, no where to move to as there's shorter seasons and more frost in the northern states. Easier solution for Australia although we have the disadvantage of the interior being completely useless besides growing some grain, or grass for animals.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 10:08 on Nov 19, 2015

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The U.S. has laws where you aren't allowed to show people drinking alcohol on screen.
Australia is surprisingly lax about this, not surprising given it's a country that's big on drinking socially.
There's been more of a crackdown to when a beer commercial can be seen, which has lead to concerns that many are being snuck in during sports events "This coin toss was sponsored by VB" where you just show the brand and it kind of influences kids.

The general rules:

Drinking must be kept in moderation and be seen as responsible - that is always a social event in a group, never on your own.
So while you can be seen drinking in a commercial it can't be done to excess. Most of the time you get around it by setting the scene in a pub vs a house or office.

In recent times I've noticed they don't bother showing people actually drinking as the more outlandish commercials would imply you and your mates got drunk on rum and tried to build a boat or setup giant trebuchets in the city - branding has become more important than the drink itself.

Alcohol can't be seen as an influence on behaviour or cause success as a result of it's consumption. So no depictions of having a pint before scaling a cliff. In any social scene the alcohol must already be there, not brought to start a boozeup.

However the key word is drink you can be perfectly fine holding a beer as long as the actions on the screen are not implied to have been caused by the beer being consumed.

Which makes this sort of ad impossible to air nowadays as it implies sporting prowess through beer. Also Boonie was infamous for once drinking 52 cans of beer on a flight from London to Sydney so by association it implied irresponsible drinking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3C-Rzo2Iwo

As for more bad ads from Australia.

Domino's Australia "Many Toppings"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblEKKuFSg0

BogDew has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Nov 19, 2015

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The U.S. has laws where you aren't allowed to show people drinking alcohol on screen. You can have pictures of alcohol, bottles of it, glasses of it, whatever, people holding it, these things are fine. The ban is on drinking it. Sounds like Canada has the same law or they're just running U.S. adverts.

That's why you'll see happy 20-somethings moving like they're going to drink but then laughing or something. Some shows have gotten around this by having a bunch of unlabeled bottles and never saying that it's alcohol or that they're in a place where alcohol is consumed. I mean places where people drink shots of cold tea exist, right?

Maybe not in commercials, but I know for a fact you can show people drinking alcohol in tv shows.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

DROUGHT CHAT

I'm sitting here in a dank and wet November day in the UK, I'm so used to bloody rain I never think that there are places where this sort of stuff goes on. I can flush my toilet with gay abandon. But we only get like 6 hours of daylight and everyone looks miserable. :britain:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rondette posted:

I'm sitting here in a dank and wet November day in the UK, I'm so used to bloody rain I never think that there are places where this sort of stuff goes on. I can flush my toilet with gay abandon. But we only get like 6 hours of daylight and everyone looks miserable. :britain:

Reminds me of living in B.C. It would rain pretty much all year round except the summer, when it'd be sunny and dry, and the few weeks it'd snow in winter. I used to hate the rain and complain about it, now that I live in a place where it never rains I hate the sun and wish it would be cloudy and wet every day.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

Maybe not in commercials, but I know for a fact you can show people drinking alcohol in tv shows.

There's no law against it on TV, but networks and advertisers tend to voluntary stick with the old Television Code:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Practices_for_Television_Broadcasters

Occasionally people will make a big deal out of drinking on TV as if it's illegal. Kind of like that stupid joke in the 80's about tearing the tag off your mattress. I think I remember an old Daily Show episode with Craig Kilborn acting like he was breaking all the rules drinking a beer on TV. And there were some recent Heineken commercials about that too.

So it's not illegal, although it may violate rules for the individual networks.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I still can't get the crayon carver out of my mind. Read some customer reviews that were positive, I cant handle the possibikity they weren't all fake. But even some one star reviews ("this was the top of my son' s wish list,, but it stopped working immediately") and I still can't believe they are real

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

twistedmentat posted:

Aren't almond farmers one of the reasons for California's drought?

No, it's just something for right-wingers to point at and say "Look, there's your problem, it's all those drat hippies who think they're too good for wholesome American dairy products!"

Almonds are one of the lower water-intensive crops, and even the most wasteful produce is better than dairy farming. It takes thousands of gallons of fresh water to produce one jug of milk.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

twistedmentat posted:

Golf is a plague upon the land. And Almond Milk is gross, and the ads really piss me off. Why do healthy food ads take such a condescending tone? Or is that just the nature of healthy eating all natural industry?

Have you ever been to a Whole Foods? :v:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RandomFerret posted:

No, it's just something for right-wingers to point at and say "Look, there's your problem, it's all those drat hippies who think they're too good for wholesome American dairy products!"

Almonds are one of the lower water-intensive crops, and even the most wasteful produce is better than dairy farming. It takes thousands of gallons of fresh water to produce one jug of milk.

All farming sucks up poo poo loads of water. One of the problems is that the places with lots of water don't have the longest growing seasons. The reason California is so popular for produce farming is that it's warm and has a very, very long growing season. What it does not have in the parts with long growing seasons is enough water to farm intensively. Much of California is a desert, actually. California is also one of relatively few places in America you can grow certain things for a variety of reasons.

Contrast that to, say, Pennsylvania which is incredibly wet but has a kind of crappy growing season. Some things do fine here (we have a lot of orchards, managed forests, and tee farms for example) but it's a lovely place to grow a lot of popular things that people want. The state also freezes over for a few months every year (which mysteriously is a shorter time every year I WONDER WHY?) so you can't grow stuff like oranges.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The real problem with almond orchards and drought isn't that the trees take a vast amount of water(they're better than some row crops, worse than others), it's that you can't let the land go fallow in dry years.

If you're growing rice, you just don't plant and hopefully sell your water allotment to some tinpot water district in SoCal. If you're growing almonds, your loving trees die and twenty years of effort go down the tubes. Plus, almonds are on a bubble right now, in ten years when these new orchards are producing fully, the price will drop like a rock.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW2D_Votd2Y

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

http://www.whompcomic.com/2014/04/18/just-you-and-miku/

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

be fair, in the summer we only get about 6 hours of night too, although it rains then also

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rondette posted:

And that's why we have The Smiths.

RandomFerret posted:

I actually read it was left wingers that were upset that a certain type of nut was getting exempt from water management rules. Maybe it was pistachios?

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you ever been to a Whole Foods? :v:

There isn't a Whole Food near me, but I had a manager who's boyfriend worked at one and the stories he had from there. Smile and Nod was literally part of the training when people started going on about their rotten egg cleanses and how The Illuminati create glueten to keep the leafs from getting to the playoffs.

I feel like there's a drinking game involving every time he says Hatsune Miku.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Unrelated to marketing what the hell is Hatsune Miku? Wiki tells me she's a computer program that sings but is that all?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Len posted:

Unrelated to marketing what the hell is Hatsune Miku? Wiki tells me she's a computer program that sings but is that all?

Yup. Its just a Japanese fad character, like Hello Kitty. There's not much to it other than she is a fictional singer who is very popular.

I always thought Hello Kitty was a weird fad, tons of people buy Hello Kitty stuff that have never even seen... is there even show? I think there is now but originally it was just a product, not any kind of show or movie or anything. Like usually with merchandise you tie in to some other property, but these are properties that were just created for the purpose of selling poo poo.

I'm no expert on the subject though so there could be more to it I don't know about.

They did make a Hatsune Miku guitar pedal and its kinda hilarious, but otherwise I really don't get the whole thing.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Basically the voice synthesizing program got really popular, so the company started featuring the most popular songs and turned her into a holographic pop idol.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvairSQRlj0

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That's really loving weird, haha. Although no more weird than the Tupac hologram I guess :v:

Shroud
May 11, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I actually read it was left wingers that were upset that a certain type of nut was getting exempt from water management rules. Maybe it was pistachios?

I read this after reading some soccer/football articles and I was confused for a few moments.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HJ56bnD7eM

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Here's the pedal I was talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aveUEZkcQno

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zaphod42 posted:

I always thought Hello Kitty was a weird fad, tons of people buy Hello Kitty stuff that have never even seen... is there even show? I think there is now but originally it was just a product, not any kind of show or movie or anything.

She was originally a mascot to market silk products.

**edit: There's TV shows, a theme park, couple of movies, all kinds of crazy bullshit now.

PuntCuncher has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Nov 20, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Here's a dumb move in marketing: being a country music musician in 2003 criticizing then president George W. Bush
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Chicks#2003.E2.80.9305:_Political_controversy

Talk about not reading your audience. Their career completely lost all momentum and took a dive they never really recovered from.

Their music is garbage so nothing of value was lost anyway.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

C.M. Kruger posted:

Basically the voice synthesizing program got really popular, so the company started featuring the most popular songs and turned her into a holographic pop idol.

Stilling wait for the Hatsune Miku, Tupac collab.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

canyoneer posted:

Here's a dumb move in marketing: being a country music musician in 2003 criticizing then president George W. Bush
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Chicks#2003.E2.80.9305:_Political_controversy

Talk about not reading your audience. Their career completely lost all momentum and took a dive they never really recovered from.

Their music is garbage so nothing of value was lost anyway.

A few years later Tim McGraw said he voted Democrat and while I don't pay enough attention to his career it felt like it dipped some.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

A few years later Tim McGraw said he voted Democrat and while I don't pay enough attention to his career it felt like it dipped some.

I think Tobey Keith did something similar. It's tough to pin down whether their careers dipped because of their political views or just because they make mostly poo poo music.

Although it's generally wise to not antagonize the 50% of the voting population that buys 90% of your music.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MizPiz posted:

They could get the Gorillaz in there too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think Tobey Keith did something similar. It's tough to pin down whether their careers dipped because of their political views or just because they make mostly poo poo music.

Although it's generally wise to not antagonize the 50% of the voting population that buys 90% of your music.
The dude who will put a boot in your rear end courtesy of the red, white and blue? That seems unlikely.

Brad Paisley played a loving Obama rally if I remember right and I don't think it affected him at all. But I don't keep up with country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MizPiz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo8IvuepIdI