Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

How on earth did it take you ten minutes to kill the Behemoth? That's not even the whole quest, you jump out right after. Also ok thanks I really didn't know I haven't played one since MW.

I honestly don't know how long it took me to kill the behemoth, because it wasn't memorable in the slightest apart from how bad and generic the quest is. I guess what you're stupidly getting at is that I'm bad at the game, or something? It's an impossible to fail rail shooter, followed by easily defeating the same super mutant encounter that I've fought dozens of times before, rewarded with a loot crate that gave me like 20 pieces of ammo and a bunch of trash guns, and a legendary super mutant who gave me a shoulder pad that bumps my strength by 1, along with 200 caps and 300 experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sector_corrector posted:

I honestly don't know how long it took me to kill the behemoth, because it wasn't memorable in the slightest apart from how bad and generic the quest is. I guess what you're stupidly getting at is that I'm bad at the game, or something? It's an impossible to fail rail shooter, followed by easily defeating the same super mutant encounter that I've fought dozens of times before, rewarded with a loot crate that gave me like 20 pieces of ammo and a bunch of trash guns, and a legendary super mutant who gave me a shoulder pad that bumps my strength by 1, along with 200 caps and 300 experience.

Mostly it just seemed like you have a lot of venom for a thirty second section of a several dozen hour game. You called it the whole quest too so I was wondering.

Actually it seems like you should play a game you like instead. Maybe Fallout 3?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 19, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

anatomi posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine playing without the dialogue mod now. It gels perfectly with the game. Most lines aren't even much longer than a few words, making the abstracted answers even more stupid.

Seriously the dumbing down of RPG dialogue systems is one of the worst things to happen to the genre in a long time.

gently caress you Mass Effect! :argh:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Deified Data posted:

Mission accomplished.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

eSporks posted:

Does commando work with miniguns and Gatling lasers? The explosives perk with missile launchers? I really don't understand the weapon categories in this game and I wish there was a UI indicator to make it more explicit.

They probably all just count as heavy weapons. Not sure if they get the bonuses from commando or explosives but probably not.

I would think each gun would only have one gun based perk apply to it. There should really be a "weapon class" stat though to make things simpler. So when you put on a pistol grip on a rifle you could see it change from "weapon class rifle" to "weapon class pistol", and then if you put an auto receiver on it then it changes to "weapon class auto". Comeon Bethesda.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously the dumbing down of RPG dialogue systems is one of the worst things to happen to the genre in a long time.

I want to say ME didn't start the trend, but at the same time can't think of what else that would have kicked it off.

e: Oh wait. Oblivion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I want to say ME didn't start the trend, but at the same time can't think of what else that would have kicked it off.

Hahaha yeah maybe Oblivion. At least Oblivion was deeper, you had that pie chart dialogue system which kinda required it to be 4 simple options, and you'd end up using all 4, it wasn't like normal dialogue.

But that was also stupid.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

please, maxson isn't even half as fun as dubya
dude will never get down w/ these moves, he's just a regular ol' hitler

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

mass effect's dialogue system is great

if you're playing a mass effect game

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Ain't nothing wrong with it if you have good writers to back it up, like Alpha Protocol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahaha yeah maybe Oblivion. At least Oblivion was deeper, you had that pie chart dialogue system which kinda required it to be 4 simple options, and you'd end up using all 4, it wasn't like normal dialogue.

But that was also stupid.

At least you could circumvent it forever after a point by giving everybody like 500 gold. Worst part of the game by far outside of the loving goblins.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Heelp, i have some questions about what i guess are the games two main factions: The Railroad and Brotherhood of Steel. I'm guessing i have to chose one to side with? If so, what are the advantages to both? For instance i heard you can get a vertibird to transport you around with the BoS, what else is there that i can lock myself out of by choosing one faction?

well first off, there is another faction that will be made obvious as you progress the main quest line. the benefits from the factions are pretty useless. just choose based on which npc helper you like the most, tho keep in mind that siding against the brotherhood lets you kill maxson and steal his kickin' rad outfit/a unique laser minigun

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me
Ugh, I think I took to many chems.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

mass effect's dialogue system is great

if you're playing a mass effect game

Even then there's times where you pick one option and Shepard says some stupid poo poo you wouldn't have selected if you knew what was gonna happen.

But mostly it being selections of "good / neutral / evil" means you've only got one option for the thing you're going for, so its not like there's something else you could have chosen.

That's my big beef with a voiced protag, it means inherently that you have far less dialogue choices than if they were all text.

Shepard though at least had decent voice acting and the story was really made around your character, so it worked yeah.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Oblivion's keyword system was taken straight from Morrowind and Daggerfall, so I think what we can all agree on is that Bethesda ruined gaming. By being there as one of the first.

(I know it's not the first)

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

I was out doing some random poo poo just now, and came across a robot racetrack because I heard the MC over a loudspeaker. I walked up to it, and saw Mr. Gutsies, an Assaultron, and an Eyebot heading around a track. I thought to myself, "That's actually really clever. I'll go in there and bet some money on a race and see if it has a quest." It didn't. It was the same loving raider encounter I've fought ~50 of throughout the game, except this one had a guy shouting some canned dialog over it. Masterful storytelling.

Yeah it feels really weird to think back to New Vegas after playing this game. Didn't it actually have very little combat? I remember finding This Machine and thinking "Okay I gotta go test this thing out" and started looking for some hostile NPCs. It took like half an hour before I realized that barely anyone attacks you in that game unless you provoke them. And even then, fights are brief and you will almost always be killing named NPCs so it actually feels bad to kill people for no reason. There's very little mandatory battling in that game. The only way you can get Fallout 3 & 4 levels of violence is by picking the violent option every time in every quest, and by doing that you will probably get the entire game world to hate you eventually

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sector_corrector posted:

"You don't have to shoot every raider. You can shoot half of them, find an exposition dump terminal, and then have the game's AI shoot the other half. You can also fight a bunch of other stuff if you press a button. You can also just not go there at all."

I don't know what you were expecting? That area has more options than just fighting the raiders but are you actually complaining that the game didn't do something other than make you press buttons on the controller? Did you want it to come to your house or something?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

Mostly it just seemed like you have a lot of venom for a thirty second section of a several dozen hour game. You called it the whole quest too so I was wondering.

Actually it seems like you should play a game you like instead. Maybe Fallout 3?

It's more like the straw that broke the camel's back. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm done with the game. Combat has officially stopped being fun for me, and I'm at the end of the line for upgrades. I might go see if there's anything worth exploring in the Glowing Sea, but none of the main quests are compelling enough for me to bother finishing the game.

It was better than I was expecting, gave me some solid entertainment, but the recurrent Bethesda problems have finally caught up with me and I can't really imagine playing any more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Yeah it feels really weird to think back to New Vegas after playing this game. Didn't it actually have very little combat?

No? There are aggressive-by-default raiders, mutated animals, ghouls and mutants everywhere in the wasteland, not to mention the Legion if you don't side with them. And you got This Machine so you didn't.

e: Probably didn't apparently the guy doesn't turn hostile with the rest of the NCR if you side with anyone else.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 19, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sector_corrector posted:

It's more like the straw that broke the camel's back. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm done with the game. Combat has officially stopped being fun for me, and I'm at the end of the line for upgrades. I might go see if there's anything worth exploring in the Glowing Sea, but none of the main quests are compelling enough for me to bother finishing the game.

It was better than I was expecting, gave me some solid entertainment, but the recurrent Bethesda problems have finally caught up with me and I can't really imagine playing any more.

How many hours are you at?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there was exactly as much combat in new vegas as there was in fallout 3 or as in this game

I guess people might not think about it much because it was just fallout 3 again/the writing was better/you had more speech checks for getting out of things

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

sector_corrector posted:

See you in a year with 300 mods including mudcrabmirelurk boobs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RBA Starblade posted:

No? There are aggressive-by-default raiders, mutated animals, ghouls and mutants everywhere in the wasteland, not to mention the Legion if you don't side with them. And you got This Machine so you didn't.

e: Probably didn't apparently the guy doesn't turn hostile with the rest of the NCR if you side with anyone else.

He probably had Boone and was only even aware there were enemies around when Boone crit things and the game went into slomo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well, I think New Vegas could feel like it has less combat because a big quest hub in the game had a zero tolerance policy on violence so if you spend an extended amount of time in there, which you easily can, you can go a long time without getting into a real fight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Minorkos posted:

Yeah it feels really weird to think back to New Vegas after playing this game. Didn't it actually have very little combat? I remember finding This Machine and thinking "Okay I gotta go test this thing out" and started looking for some hostile NPCs. It took like half an hour before I realized that barely anyone attacks you in that game unless you provoke them. And even then, fights are brief and you will almost always be killing named NPCs so it actually feels bad to kill people for no reason. There's very little mandatory battling in that game. The only way you can get Fallout 3 & 4 levels of violence is by picking the violent option every time in every quest, and by doing that you will probably get the entire game world to hate you eventually

Yeah NV definitely had less shooting than this one by far. And you could just get Boone and have him kill everybody for you.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

there was exactly as much combat in new vegas as there was in fallout 3 or as in this game

I guess people might not think about it much because it was just fallout 3 again/the writing was better/you had more speech checks for getting out of things

I just recall running around the wasteland doing quests that involved mostly talking and detective work. Even the more violent quests had you kill maybe like 3 or 4 guys, as opposed to Bethesda Fallout style "murder the 20 raiders living in this factory". I guess you still do spend a lot of time killing wasteland wildlife. Other than that, raider and legion encounters were pretty far in between

maybe I'm misremembering

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

sector_corrector posted:

I'm surprised you even bought it in the first place, it sounds like you had your mind made up

Minorkos posted:

I just recall running around the wasteland doing quests that involved mostly talking and detective work. Even the more violent quests had you kill maybe like 3 or 4 guys, as opposed to Bethesda Fallout style "murder the 20 raiders living in this factory". I guess you still do spend a lot of time killing wasteland wildlife. Other than that, raider and legion encounters were pretty far in between

maybe I'm misremembering

It was only different in the murder 20 raiders aspect. In new vegas enemies typically rolled in 3-5 man squads, other than that there was plenty of combat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Well, I think New Vegas could feel like it has less combat because a big quest hub in the game had a zero tolerance policy on violence so if you spend an extended amount of time in there, which you easily can, you can go a long time without getting into a real fight.

there was more shooting in the new vegas hub than in fallout 3 or 4's because more quests took place there

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Anyone else run into a bug where all your ammo disappears?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Minorkos posted:

maybe I'm misremembering

I replayed FO3 and NV before 4, you are. The difference with NV is that it's more spread out; a lot of places are just stuff like farms, NV itself, towns, etc. with little or nothing in them; like most of the sharecropper farms. They're there to world build but only certain parts have anything in them to do. There are fewer dungeons or strongholds full of dudes who want you dead, and more just encounters with dudes. Until the dlc where it's shambling-corpse-harness and robo-scorpion and flayed ghoul city.

Like, the Vipers are right next door to New Vegas and McCarran, it's almost impossible to leave CMC WITHOUT running into them.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You could go a long-rear end time in New Vegas without shooting anything. Animals didn't really beeline for you except for Deathclaws. Raider camps were somewhat smaller, you couldn't really wander into them without knowing in the Mojave, while in Boston it seems that every block has it's personal raider squad gunning for you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

animals had the same ai as fallout 3

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

animals had the same ai as fallout 3

except those animals that didn't aggro you unless you messed around with them too much

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Minorkos posted:

except those animals that didn't aggro you unless you messed around with them too much

Which ones were these? I can't think of any off the top of my head that didn't have a red hp bar instead of an orange one. It sure wasn't ants, cazadores, deathclaws, mole rats, dogs, yao guai or radscorpions.

e: Oh right the radgoats or whatever.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Apparition posted:

I'm surprised you even bought it in the first place, it sounds like you had your mind made up

I split the game with a friend, and had 50 bucks in store credit, so I effectively got the game for free. I was honestly, pleasantly surprised by a lot of the game. Bethesda exceeded my expectations, and it gave me around 30 hours of solid entertainment as an FPS. This is a thread for discussing the game, however, and me chiming in every couple days with 'the combat is good' isn't interesting, nor technically a discussion. The quest writing and encounter design, however, is atrocious, and something worth discussing. I realize that this forum operates as a hug box, and people don't like engaging critically with games they play (especially power fantasy character creation games like this), but I like making people mad and being an rear end in a top hat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there were two types of those, so I guess that is double the amount of fallout 3

tho the goats just had the cow ai

RBA Starblade posted:

Which ones were these? I can't think of any off the top of my head that didn't have a red hp bar instead of an orange one. It sure wasn't ants, cazadores, deathclaws, mole rats, dogs, yao guai or radscorpions.

there were the cows, which are in all of them, and some goats. I think that's it, unless there was like a special quest deathclaw or something but that doesn't really count

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

Bighorners are the only thing that really fits that bill, although higher levels of survival give you Animal Friend, which lets you optionally engage even stuff that would normally attack you on sight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sector_corrector posted:

Bighorners are the only thing that really fits that bill, although higher levels of survival give you Animal Friend, which lets you optionally engage even stuff that would normally attack you on sight.

That's what they're called, I realized they were there a second ago but couldn't remember their names.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

BadLlama posted:

So gatling lasers are pretty cool, been pumping points into heavy weapons. At first using fusion cores as ammo seemed costly but its actually really cheap. I can buy fusion cores for ~240 caps and get 500 shots per core which is the cheapest ammo available in the game. pew pew pew pew

I invest in nuclear physicist, planning to use power armor a bunch, but now I'm sitting on 50+ Fusion Cores. Makes me wish the whole "eject current core" mechanic would just let you throw them like grenades, but thanks for alerting me to this. Now I know how to burn through some of these things without just doing dumb poo poo, like waddling around in power armor while building settlements, because reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Manatee Cannon posted:

well first off, there is another faction that will be made obvious as you progress the main quest line. the benefits from the factions are pretty useless. just choose based on which npc helper you like the most, tho keep in mind that siding against the brotherhood lets you kill maxson and steal his kickin' rad outfit/a unique laser minigun

Or just dont complete the game, there is nothing added once you beat the game expect it locks you out of 60% of the repeatable quests.

All the endings are awful since every side it is side only with us or kill us.

• Locked thread