Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

coyo7e posted:

Is there anything craftable or buildable that really requires me to collect lots of ceramics? I mean I'm assuming it's good for some armors but there are just so many loving plates and coffee cups...

power-related stuff (poles/swtiches/etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Harrow posted:

That would have been so much simpler, why didn't they do that? As it is, it really comes across as a "haha we got you he was a cyborg :smuggo:" twist instead of having him be a ghoul, which would have introduced doubt right off the bat but left things unclear. The player would think "oh, it's been ten years" when they see his memory of living with Shaun and then think they got it, but when the real twist happens it still wouldn't be a stretch.
then how will you get your sweet lead on him
tell valentine 'yeah this guy... he was a zombie lookin' dude who was bald and had a scar and a gravely voice'
'thats like every ghoul ever'

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Harrow posted:

That would have been so much simpler, why didn't they do that? As it is, it really comes across as a "haha we got you he was a cyborg :smuggo:" twist instead of having him be a ghoul, which would have introduced doubt right off the bat but left things unclear. The player would think "oh, it's been ten years" when they see his memory of living with Shaun and then think they got it, but when the real twist happens it still wouldn't be a stretch.

The radio broadcast from when he was a kid announcing the creation of the NCR was a big tipoff that something was up, because that was roughly 100 years ago. But it's not something most people would notice because you can barely hear the radio and I'm assuming that most players didn't play Fallout 1.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I just want Whitechapel Charlie as a companion, the bowler hat really makes him.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

The radio broadcast from when he was a kid announcing the creation of the NCR was a big tipoff that something was up, because that was roughly 100 years ago. But it's not something most people would notice because you can barely hear the radio and I'm assuming that most players didn't play Fallout 1.

wait what?
that makes even less sense because that scene is with the robo-shaun, not real boy shaun- that's why his house is still around and why the mayor knew who he was.
also the whole 'coursers literally can't exist without old man dadson already being in place' thing

edit:
oh wait i misread derp yeah that makes sense

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Kiggles posted:

Note: it works exactly as described. The core will eject and land directly behind you, exploding like a mini-nuke. It is basically completely useless, except as a way to do something with your tons of fusion cores and kill yourself (they don't seem to do much damage to you). I don't think there has been an instance where I was being chased and it would have ever been a good idea to eject the stupid core like some sort of explosive caltrop, but it's there, I guess.

Yeah I am not sure of the actually application of that but gently caress it sounds cool.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It got to the point where diehards were defending the gamebryo engine, saying bugs weren't a bethesda problem. Thus, the thread for pansy rear end"sane" people.

Ohhhh that's what it meant by "stable" people. I thought it was a thread about Fallout Equestria

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kiggles posted:

^^ electrical systems in settlements need a lot of ceramics, and high level power armor upgrade/repairs require ceramics (less so on the repairs).

If you do not have a grenade item equipped, the fusion core will be available to eject as if it were a grenade.

Note: it works exactly as described. The core will eject and land directly behind you, exploding like a mini-nuke. It is basically completely useless, except as a way to do something with your tons of fusion cores and kill yourself (they don't seem to do much damage to you). I don't think there has been an instance where I was being chased and it would have ever been a good idea to eject the stupid core like some sort of explosive caltrop, but it's there, I guess.

Put on the explosion-dampening combat armor beneath your power armor and walk into melee? It's not completely useless if you've got enough Pickpocket to make the Brotherhood rain fusion cores on you.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Zaphod42 posted:

Even then there's times where you pick one option and Shepard says some stupid poo poo you wouldn't have selected if you knew what was gonna happen.

But mostly it being selections of "good / neutral / evil" means you've only got one option for the thing you're going for, so its not like there's something else you could have chosen.

That's my big beef with a voiced protag, it means inherently that you have far less dialogue choices than if they were all text.

Shepard though at least had decent voice acting and the story was really made around your character, so it worked yeah.

Dragon Age Inquisition had race-specific, class-specific, and perk-specific dialogue options, and I thought it worked pretty well. There's no inherent reason that a voiced PC must result in such simple and poor dialogue as in Fallout 4, it's just that Bethesda's bad at it or doesn't care enough about it to invest development time into it.

It's really funny to me (though not at all surprising) that the weakest part of DAI (open world/environmental storytelling) was due to BioWare trying to ape Bethesda, and the weakest part of Fallout 4 (voiced main character, new dialogue system) is due to Bethesda trying to ape BioWare. I enjoyed both games, but in both cases it feels like they completely failed to understand why people like the thing they're trying to mimic.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kiggles posted:

^^ electrical systems in settlements need a lot of ceramics, and high level power armor upgrade/repairs require ceramics (less so on the repairs).

If you do not have a grenade item equipped, the fusion core will be available to eject as if it were a grenade.

There is like almost no chance of escaping the blast too.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ugh, I bugged the game with the "underground undercover quest"

I can't warn desdemona, since she will only say the "I'm busy" stuff lines, and so I can't continue. From some reading on the web I figured it's because I killed elder maxxon earlier. Any way to fix this?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is there any non-console way to get into the asylum and get the charisma bobble head if the quests for Cabot are bugged and I can't complete them? The whole reason I'm doing these rotten quests is to unlock the place to get the bubblehead so I can get local leader so I can stop running supplies between settlements.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

another good choice is that they could have just loving made the guy that works for the place that makes robots indistinguishable from humans into a robot that was indistinguishable from humans

really I think the whole plot unravels at the seams the moment you meet father

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is there any non-console way to get into the asylum and get the charisma bobble head if the quests for Cabot are bugged and I can't complete them? The whole reason I'm doing these rotten quests is to unlock the place to get the bubblehead so I can get local leader so I can stop running supplies between settlements.

Restart the game.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

How is revealing Kellogg to be a ghoul "simpler" than revealing him to be a cyborg?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

escalator dropdown posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition had race-specific, class-specific, and perk-specific dialogue options, and I thought it worked pretty well. There's no inherent reason that a voiced PC must result in such simple and poor dialogue as in Fallout 4, it's just that Bethesda's bad at it or doesn't care enough about it to invest development time into it.

It's really funny to me (though not at all surprising) that the weakest part of DAI (open world/environmental storytelling) was due to BioWare trying to ape Bethesda, and the weakest part of Fallout 4 (voiced main character, new dialogue system) is due to Bethesda trying to ape BioWare. I enjoyed both games, but in both cases it feels like they completely failed to understand why people like the thing they're trying to mimic.

Bioware has 800+ employees, and a writing staff over 70 people large.

Bethesda still doesn't have 100 employees, and has between 3 and 7 writers, who are also programmers. This is with two teams mind you, there is the Fallout Team and the TES team, which means each game likely only has 40-50 people working on it.

Like yo, I can understand this complaint completely, but let's not fail to understand where the problem is coming from.

e: for comparison, CDPR has 230 employees, who were all working on Witcher 3. They sidelined the other game they were working on for Witcher 3. Bethesda is tiny.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

another good choice is that they could have just loving made the guy that works for the place that makes robots indistinguishable from humans into a robot that was indistinguishable from humans

really I think the whole plot unravels at the seams the moment you meet father

Yeah, that's actually what I suspected. I immediately suspected that a lot more time had passed between Shaun's kidnapping and my waking up than the game wanted me to believe, and I figured Kellogg was a synth. I think the only reason making him a synth would be harder on the narrative than making him a ghoul would be that, when Kellogg kidnapped Shaun, it was before the Institute had convincingly human synths. The easiest way around that would be to say that the Kellogg who killed your spouse and kidnapped Shaun died of old age and was replaced by a synth, though, which might be even better, because it has that whole "you can never actually get your revenge" angle to it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This happens constantly in game design and really shows that game design is a very immature field and most people are just guessing or making things up.

All the time you see games whose designers thought "we'll take fun element A from game A and fun element B from game B and put them together! It'll be even better!" like videogames are just peanut butter and jelly. Except half the time the whole reason element A worked in game A is because the environment supported it, but shoehorning that mechanic along with B just creates an awkward mess.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is anyone else having issues with disappearing companions? I just recruited Strong and I'm trying to dismiss Dogmeat to Red Rocket where I have all of my other companions (so far: Piper, Preston, Sheffield... Codsworth is still in Sanctuary) and at least one companion will just straight up disappear. It doesn't matter who I send dismiss next - Strong, Dogmeat, whatever - at least one person will disappear without a way to get them back.

It's incredibly aggravating because I can't just leave Strong at Trinity Tower, otherwise he'll disappear there too. This is stupid. :mad:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is anyone else having issues with disappearing companions? I just recruited Strong and I'm trying to dismiss Dogmeat to Red Rocket where I have all of my other companions (so far: Piper, Preston, Sheffield... Codsworth is still in Sanctuary) and at least one companion will just straight up disappear. It doesn't matter who I send dismiss next - Strong, Dogmeat, whatever - at least one person will disappear without a way to get them back.

It's incredibly aggravating because I can't just leave Strong at Trinity Tower, otherwise he'll disappear there too. This is stupid. :mad:

That is weird. If you dismiss somebody they have to walk so they may not show up for awhile, but you're saying its other companions who get displaced, right? Weird. Probably a bug, unless there's some hidden limit on how many companions can be in one area :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Rookersh posted:

Bioware has 800+ employees, and a writing staff over 70 people large.
-

:stare: What the hell, really?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If Kellogg was a synth from the beginning, then his violent behavior would have been questionable. Synths are cold but they are restrained.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ If he was a synth from the beginning, it also wouldn't make sense: at the time, the Institute didn't have the indistinguishable-from-human synths yet. But if he'd died and been replaced by a synth, it would still work, and would also play into the "Institute replacing people with synths" plot as well.

Deified Data posted:

How is revealing Kellogg to be a ghoul "simpler" than revealing him to be a cyborg?

Because it wouldn't be a reveal. You can't exactly hide that you're a ghoul, and ghouls are already known to age much, much more slowly than humans. You see this zombie-looking guy and, assuming you've never played Fallout before, once you find out that ghouls live an incredibly long time, you're put into a mindset where "he actually kidnapped Shaun 60 years ago" becomes completely plausible in-universe. Alternatively, as Manatee Cannon suggested, he could've been replaced by a synth, which also would've made perfect sense and fit perfectly with how the Institute does things. Either way, there were ways to pull the "Shaun was kidnapped decades ago" twist off by using things that were already established in-universe. Sure, observant players would have suspected things pretty quickly, but, like, I was already suspicious when I noticed that I was refrozen between Shaun's kidnapping and waking up.

Basically, I'm asking them to ground it a little more in things we already know about the setting, rather than pull a totally out-of-left-field twist.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's actually what I suspected. I immediately suspected that a lot more time had passed between Shaun's kidnapping and my waking up than the game wanted me to believe, and I figured Kellogg was a synth. I think the only reason making him a synth would be harder on the narrative than making him a ghoul would be that, when Kellogg kidnapped Shaun, it was before the Institute had convincingly human synths. The easiest way around that would be to say that the Kellogg who killed your spouse and kidnapped Shaun died of old age and was replaced by a synth, though, which might be even better, because it has that whole "you can never actually get your revenge" angle to it.

having kellogg be dead of old age by the time you found him would be a waaaaaaay better twist, tho I did like the part where you plumb the depths of his mind. also having you kill shaun before he announces who he is would have been really interesting. like sure, you can kill him still, but it's not the same

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's a real gift-of-the-magi situation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

having kellogg be dead of old age by the time you found him would be a waaaaaaay better twist, tho I did like the part where you plumb the depths of his mind. also having you kill shaun before he announces who he is would have been really interesting. like sure, you can kill him still, but it's not the same

Yeah, that would've been a fantastic twist and would've been the best possible way to reveal the actual timeline. If you found Kellogg and he was dead of old age, and you could know for sure he died of old age and wasn't killed, you'd immediately know that Shaun was kidnapped a long time ago, and I think, dramatically, that would've been a perfectly fine place to put that twist. Then we could dig up his grave and still pull a cyber-implant from his brain to do the memory sequence.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

:stare: What the hell, really?

Also Blizzard went from 60 core developers and 400 employees to hundreds of developers and over 4 thousand employees in the course of World of Warcraft.

Really shows why their corporate culture changed so drastically so fast.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If Kellogg was a ghoul, then clever players could have had an "Aha!" moment when the mayor of Goodneighbor explained that ghouls age slowly. Then they would have had a satisfying "I knew it!" moment when they met Shaun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that would've been a fantastic twist and would've been the best possible way to reveal the actual timeline. If you found Kellogg and he was dead of old age, and you could know for sure he died of old age and wasn't killed, you'd immediately know that Shaun was kidnapped a long time ago, and I think, dramatically, that would've been a perfectly fine place to put that twist. Then we could dig up his grave and still pull a cyber-implant from his brain to do the memory sequence.

Congrats, these good ideas have just gotten you black-listed at Bethesda.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If Kellog was dead or replaced by a Synth, you wouldn't have an opportunity to put the bastard responsible for stealing your son and killing your wife/husband down. The game would be significantly weaker.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

If Kellog was dead or replaced by a Synth, you wouldn't have an opportunity to put the bastard responsible for stealing your son and killing your wife/husband down. The game would be significantly weaker.

no it wouldn't, that would have given the writers far more interesting outlets for character development than [shoot man]

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If anyone hasn't done the quest related to the USS Constitution I recommend doing it, its kind of funny, based on the decisions I made.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Because it wouldn't be a reveal. You can't exactly hide that you're a ghoul, and ghouls are already known to age much, much more slowly than humans. You see this zombie-looking guy and, assuming you've never played Fallout before, once you find out that ghouls live an incredibly long time, you're put into a mindset where "he actually kidnapped Shaun 60 years ago" becomes completely plausible in-universe. Alternatively, as Manatee Cannon suggested, he could've been replaced by a synth, which also would've made perfect sense and fit perfectly with how the Institute does things. Either way, there were ways to pull the "Shaun was kidnapped decades ago" twist off by using things that were already established in-universe. Sure, observant players would have suspected things pretty quickly, but, like, I was already suspicious when I noticed that I was refrozen between Shaun's kidnapping and waking up.

Basically, I'm asking them to ground it a little more in things we already know about the setting, rather than pull a totally out-of-left-field twist.

Synthetically-augmented humans are already established in the setting. Is having a "reveal" a bad thing?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

no it wouldn't, that would have given the writers far more interesting outlets for character development than [shoot man]

On the other hand, I want to shoot mans. And I did. With a nuclear bomb thrower.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Dunno. He was a guy who had very little talk up, you find out his name then find him super fast. Also he just reminded me of cornflakes rather than revenge :v:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

Um, might want to click the black bars in my post, because you seem to have forgotten that Kellog is the dude who stole your son and shot your spouse. If you're not [shoot man]ing that person in the story, the story has failed at providing what's required.

Edit: vvv That's intentional. The Institute hung Kellogg out to dry after he did what he did.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 19, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Kellog the only person to be cyborged ever, good thing they didn''t try to expand the life of sole person who helped the institute the most.

Im dying of a future thing even though Im the leader of the most advanced people ever.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Manatee Cannon posted:

Theres little story told in the game. Every quest giver just tells your to go to another castle, no choice is ever left to the player.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

Kellog the only person to be cyborged ever, good thing they didn''t try to expand the life of sole person who helped the institute the most.

The only person besides the Courier and the Lone Wanderer, and I guess technically the guys in the Big MT? And Robobrains sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Bifford posted:

If Kellogg was a synth from the beginning, then his violent behavior would have been questionable. Synths are cold but they are restrained.

A good point.

Idk it made sense but it was a little strange, I agree. Ghoul maybe would have worked better since we already know about ghouls and we don't need another category of 'gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 synths, but also we can make cyborgs with extended lifetimes, and also animal synths' etc. to worry about keeping straight.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The Institute is kidnapping them :tinfoil:

• Locked thread