Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

radical meme posted:

This went right over my head. Is it a reference to the Democrats that wanted to vote for the bills? Did they really believe Obama was going to cover their rear end after what he said at the G20? Is there a news story on it; specifically about the 15 referenced by Jomentum? I found a Vox article but it I'd be interested in knowing more.

Here's a Roll Call piece that mentions the 15 Blue Dogs.

zoux posted:

Veto override is 2/3s of the total membership, not 2/3s of present voting members?

Present voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Joementum posted:

Present voting.

That's not correct. To override a veto you need 2/3 of the entire body.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Should I be hunkering down for WWIII or what

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's WW IV now get it right.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pook Good Mook posted:

That's not correct. To override a veto you need 2/3 of the entire body.

According to the Congressional Research Service it's two thirds of the members voting, a quorum being present.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Meanwhile, someone decided a good thing to do at Harvard would be to put black tape over the faces of portraits of black professors outside a lecture hall.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

euphronius posted:

It's WW IV now get it right.

But Einstein assured me that war would be fought with rocks and sticks!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Meanwhile, someone decided a good thing to do at Harvard would be to put black tape over the faces of portraits of black professors outside a lecture hall.

BLM should stop harassing law students, and maybe those law students, who stand to become some of the wealthiest Americans, wouldn't have to be so racist!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Senate has concluded all pre-Thanksgiving voting. The last recorded vote was on Peter William Bodde to become Ambassador to Libya, which was 95-0. He was nominated for the position 135 days ago.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Joementum posted:

According to the Congressional Research Service it's two thirds of the members voting, a quorum being present.

Well I'll be damned. Today I learned something.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Joementum posted:

The Senate has concluded all pre-Thanksgiving voting. The last recorded vote was on Peter William Bodde to become Ambassador to Libya, which was 95-0. He was nominated for the position 135 days ago.
Is the House starting to crack at the seams under Ryan's tenure juuust yet?

(Actually that's a silly question, they've "passed a bill that tightens restrictions on the resettlement of Syrian and Iraqi refugees, amid security concerns.")

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Grouchio posted:

Is the House starting to crack at the seams under Ryan's tenure juuust yet?

Well, today's vote had no debate, didn't go through committee, both of which were things Ryan promised to change from the Boehner days. I doubt even the process loonies in the HFC care on this issue, but it's a sign that Ryan's willing to go around regular order when it suits him and they'll start to care very quickly once appropriations get in the mix.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Speaking of Ryan

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/19/paul-ryan-tells-sean-hannity-will-not-support-cuts-muslim-immigration-thats-not/

Also Breitbart is now referring to any refugee conversation as "Muslim Immigration"

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 19, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Wait did Congress actually pass a bill that can't be vetoed by Obama?

What's in it?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

No.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nonsense posted:

BLM should stop harassing law students, and maybe those law students, who stand to become some of the wealthiest Americans, wouldn't have to be so racist!

Uh when is the last time you looked into the legal industry.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think I've stumbled upon an argument that makes the refugee panickers think twice if nothing else.

The "America is a nation of immigrants argument." Specifically, the "we have seen all of this before and we will see it again" strain.

"This is a country where the Irish were denigrated as drunkards and feared for their secret loyalty to the Pope, where the Chinese were hated for stealing good honest jobs, where the Japanese were loathed and kept in internment camps. Now these people are productive parts of American society. The Syrian refugees would be no different. The American melting pot is undefeated."

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress these gutless fear mongers.

quote:

“Frankly, my sense is more and more of my colleagues feel the same way,” he said, adding there was a “lack of a compelling reason to vote ‘no.'”

“It’s not going over well,” a House Democratic aide told CQ Roll Call as members continued to listen to McDonough and Johnson. “The message on this is too complicated.”

Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., an opponent of the GOP bill and one of two Muslims serving in the House, said he believes the White House has done “as good a job as can be done.”

“If I was to offer [administration officials] some constructive proposals, it would be to say, ‘help members see why the [Republican] bill is going to essentially raise a threshold so that nobody’s gonna get certified. I mean, I think it’s important to make that point a little more explicit.”

This member said the focus of McDonough and Johnson’s message was the White House doesn’t want to add an “extra burden” to the existing screening process, which the Obama administration strongly defends. “What member of Congress wants to go home to their district and say, ‘I voted against this bill to keep you safe because I didn’t want to impose more work on the bureaucracy?'” the lawmaker asked.

It's just so haaaaarrrd to explain to voters; so I'm just gonna do the easy thing. But realistically, it's probably an issue that will be forgotten by January 1.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 19, 2015

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

JT Jag posted:

I think I've stumbled upon an argument that makes the refugee panickers think twice if nothing else.

The "America is a nation of immigrants argument." Specifically, the "we have seen all of this before and we will see it again" strain.

"This is a country where the Irish were denigrated as drunkards and feared for their secret loyalty to the Pope, where the Chinese were hated for stealing good honest jobs, where the Japanese were loathed and kept in internment camps. Now these people are productive parts of American society. The Syrian refugees would be no different. The American melting pot is undefeated."

"Nice try, but they weren't bloodthirsty religious fanatics bent on destroying our way of life" - terrified racists.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The House did (barely). The Senate won't.

quote:

What's in it?

A bunch of stuff.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Hulk Krogan posted:

"Nice try, but they weren't bloodthirsty religious fanatics bent on destroying our way of life" - terrified racists.
Your simulacrum of a terrified racist said nice try, which I consider points in my favor.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

JT Jag posted:

Your simulacrum of a terrified racist said nice try, which I consider points in my favor.

Plus the Irish and Italians were dirty papists intent on destroying our Protestant way of life. So... ya.

Edit: poo poo you already mentioned that. My bad.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

alpha_destroy posted:

Plus the Irish and Italians were dirty papists intent on destroying our Protestant way of life. So... ya.

And the Chinese and Japanese got caricatured as murderous oriental degenerates who couldn't wait to get their yellowing fingernails on all the white women.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Basically my argument to people freaking the gently caress out is "Hey, have you played Bioshock Infinite? That was some real poo poo. This ain't new. Take a breath, America is bigger than this."

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

But Einstein assured me that war would be fought with rocks and sticks!

Well, I mean, at least one side will be using rocks and sticks.

:ssh:Refugees will be that side:ssh:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Basically my argument to people freaking the gently caress out is "Hey, have you played Bioshock Infinite? That was some real poo poo. This ain't new. Take a breath, America is bigger than this."

I would just keep quoting the "Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses" quote from the Statue of Liberty over and over.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

I would just keep quoting the "Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses" quote from the Statue of Liberty over and over.

Uh sorry that poem is by some Zionist Jew and doesn't represent True American Values.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What's in it?

Not at all, if it gets vetod, the dems will pull support.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

WampaLord posted:

A lot of people would tune that out. While most people like the idea of the Statue of Liberty's inscription as well as its history, I doubt a ton of them still subscribe to its original meaning. Confronting them with the idea that America has faced precisely this sort of situation in the past and come out of it stronger might work better.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I've tried a lot of approaches at this point and most of them end with the other person falling back on "well I just don't want terrorists coming in here and killing us, that's all." At that point I'll talk about how the refugee process is way slower, more expensive, and more heavily scrutinized than say, trying to get a tourist visa, and that the only people we're really hurting by denying refugees are the victims of ISIS. I don't know if that convinces anyone but they usually stop responding after that point.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

WampaLord posted:

"That sentiment only counted during the 19th century when we had a frontier to expandand most immigrants were white or closer to it, these days we don't have room enough for them all even if they weren't a security threat!" - a paraphrase of an actual argument I've heard here in D&D.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Here; I made a nice chart for anybody who finds somebody complaining about Syrian refugees.

Based off of the statistics found here:
http://www.factcheck.org/2015/09/stretching-facts-on-syrian-refugees/

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 19, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

I've tried a lot of approaches at this point and most of them end with the other person falling back on "well I just don't want terrorists coming in here and killing us, that's all." At that point I'll talk about how the refugee process is way slower, more expensive, and more heavily scrutinized than say, trying to get a tourist visa, and that the only people we're really hurting by denying refugees are the victims of ISIS. I don't know if that convinces anyone but they usually stop responding after that point.
Many people seem to be of the understanding that it's really easy to get here as a refugee, perhaps easier than most other methods, and that's why it would be desirable for ISIS. While wrong, I think it might be best to deflect that talking point. America is stronger than any extremist ideology. The refugees will come and in time become normal Americans, as all immigrants have in the past.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

USPol November: Hey America, I can see your isolationism showing!

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I need to stop reading about politics while at work, I don't usually want a drink this early in the day...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Personally, I think he should call them out on it.

"And unfortunately, some members of my own party have forgotten that we, as Democrats, must constantly stand as a bulwark to right tyranny in waiting."

*ignores FDR*

Tbf it was really hard for FDR to stand for anything, much less as a bulwark to tyranny

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JT Jag posted:

I remember a few years ago (like early-mid 2012) people were getting weirdly nervous about "i-i-is American society tearing itself apart?????" and I took gleeful delight in telling them about how the real gold standard for civil unrest in this country is when the Secret Service flies the President to Camp David because D.C.'s just a little too hot.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Greatbacon posted:

I need to stop reading about politics while at work, I don't usually want a drink this early in the day...

This last week has been murder on my productivity.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Jaguars winning last week is probably the only thing that kept me from going into a massive depressive spiral. Hopefully the fascade can continue tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Here; I made a nice chart for anybody who finds somebody complaining about Syrian refugees.

Based off of the statistics found here:
http://www.factcheck.org/2015/09/st...yrian-refugees/

That's a dead link.

Also I don't think that the number of Syrian refugees is a strong argument, it only takes one person to commit an act of terror that kills dozens or more. I think the stronger argument is one of American (espoused) values and the warnings of history.

Besides I think every one knows the REAL reason libtards care about this poo poo:

• Locked thread