Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My sister is very angry that 10 and Donna are coming back audio-only. I said she should count herself lucky that they're doing it so soon after their TV season. Still angry. Poor girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Astroman posted:

It ruined the premise of good, deep criticism and picking apart episodes when he tried to cobble together some false meta-narrative. And of course, part of that narrative was to completely dismiss Big Finish as a dead end product of a time gone by that was imperfect but had a small part in the creation of Perfect Modern Doctor Who, the Platonic Ideal of Who. Granted, I checked out at that point so if he's still going he might have changed up a bit...

Apparently he really, really liked Kill the Moon. To the extent that he called it "THE Doctor Who episode" or some other such thing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cliff Racer posted:

Apparently he really, really liked Kill the Moon. To the extent that he called it "THE Doctor Who episode" or some other such thing.

A Verbose Wanker posted:

This was the single best episode of Doctor Who ever.

I am using that sentence with perhaps an odd degree of precision. It is better at being Doctor Who than any previous episode, given that so much of what makes it work is that it is an episode of Doctor Who. It is unapologetic, and indeed triumphant about pulling tricks that only Doctor Who can do. “The moon is an egg.” I mean, that’s the most gloriously trolling reveal imaginable. It all but invokes Poe’s Law on a particular segment of criticism of Doctor Who.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

:ughh: Well that says it all I guess...

Edit:

quote:

I am using that sentence with perhaps an odd degree of precision. It is better at being Doctor Who than any previous episode, given that so much of what makes it work is that it is an episode of Doctor Who. It is unapologetic, and indeed triumphant about pulling tricks that only Doctor Who can do. “The moon is an egg.” I mean, that’s the most gloriously trolling reveal imaginable. It all but invokes Poe’s Law on a particular segment of criticism of Doctor Who.

:vince:

I think his problem is he's too close to the current episodes to be able to evaluate them as soberly as he did the stuff from 40 years ago. He's trying to judge this week's episode with the same weight and critical lens of history that he would for something from 1978 or whatever and he doesn't have the perspective.

Also he's a pretentious wanker.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 19, 2015

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Given the theories about Clara being dead and the Doctor breaking their own continuity to continue to have adventures, perhaps it's an earlier version of 12 (ala the Time of Angels thing)

yuuuuup. I was unsure about this before, but with the Doctor back in his previous attire in the preview, I think Moffat totally went there. It's a clever twist.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Eruditorum should have ended, forever, with Survival or maybe the TV Movie or Fatal Death, and shouldn't have included any audios or books or expanded universe stuff made after Survival at any point in its run. As it stands, it reached beyond its grasp and beyond Sandifer's talents and resources, while remaining incomplete. With a bound set of "Televised pre-1996 (or pre-2005) Doctor Who" you can claim completion, cohesion. When you start picking what's worth talking about, well, you're vulnerable to feedback loops.

I'm sympathetic towards Phil's opinions on Kill the Moon, insofar as that I don't despise it, actually quite like it, and certainly find it to be a profoundly fascinating piece of television drama for both textual and paratextual reasons. I'm orders of magnitude less sympathetic to his love of Forest, seeing as he was extremely quick to declare it a Blakeian Masterpiece without ever offering any actual televisual merit or genuinely considering how irresponsible the medication bullshit is, on the basis that Blake had "visions" and that "visions" are legitimate artistic inspiration and not merely symptoms of dangerous brain diseases, and HOO BOY once Sandifer smells William Blake or Alan Moore on something he's gonna, well, there are sexual metaphors I'd use if they were appropriate but they aren't so just say he really likes that poo poo regardless of actual qualitative execution.

Sandifer believes his own hype. This is a wonderful thing when he's running righteous exposes of systemic transphobia among Wikipedia editing cabals and tearing Vox Day new rhetorical assholes on internet radio. It's a less wonderful thing when he gets it in his head that any opinion he holds is self-evidently virtuous and proper because he holds it. The trouble is that he's very clever and a very capable wordsmith in terms of syntax and rhetoric and sheer volume, and also he makes enemies of really nasty people, and so it's hard to keep up with him when arguing and even harder to not come off as a total shithead in the process. So he (very nearly) never gets taken to task properly and therefore never really modulates himself.

It's something of a wonder that he so virulently dislikes the Sixth Doctor because he's the most Sixlike person I've ever met, myself obviously excepted.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

It's something of a wonder that he so virulently dislikes the Sixth Doctor because he's the most Sixlike person I've ever met, myself obviously excepted.

I wonder...

Someone recommended the Eruditorum articles to me; I could never click with the writing style. :shrug:

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

We hate the most in others what we hate in ourselves...

I do admit i tend to like his collaborators more these days.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Astroman posted:

In other news I've been trying new things with Big Finish. I listened to my first B7, Fractures. I wanted a full cast audio so I started there. It was a great start. Michael Keating was particularly good, the others were certainly passable as their old selves, except (most disappointingly) Avon. I was really counting on Paul Darrow to channel that old Avon magic but he seemed to have only one emotion--edgy sardonic. I'm in the middle of rewatching the show, up to mid Season 2, and Avon had a lot more range than that. This was like Avon turned up to 11 for an entire episode. But I know that was an early episode for them, so I'm sure it wlll get better. What was perfect though was the cast interaction, the writing--Justin Richards, unsurprisingly nails the classic dialogue of the show and the voices of the characters. And it was a fine use of the medium.

After hearing how amazingly good Jago and Litefoot are I started with Mahogany Murders, and it was really good. A bit clunky in the exposition of them telling each other the story, but I imagine that changes as the range goes on...I realize that was more of a "pilot." I'm going to look forward to putting them into my rotation. And I'm currently listening to The Yes Men. It's always a guaranteed fantastic episode when you have Frazier playing Two, and the new guy they recast as Ben is solid.

I'd like to try the Tim Trealor 3rd Doctor audios soon. Kinda wish they'd do them as standalone stories and not a package.

I’ve been enjoying the Survivors range. It’s bleak without being “dark and edgy” and an interesting take on the end of the world, British style.

I’ve also been working my way through the Frankenstein play with Arthur Darvill and Nicholas Briggs. It’s based on the novel and it’s pretty well done so far. I have to listen to it in chunks since it’s based on the novel and takes a bit to get going.

In the same vein, apparently Big Finish is going to release an audio play of the novel for Dracula with none other than Mark Gatiss as the Count…

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
This joke has already been done but I'm doing it again anyway

HD DAD posted:

It's me. I have Marco Polo.

It's odd that it's missing because it really should be the easiest to find

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

Sandifer believes his own hype. This is a wonderful thing when he's running righteous exposes of systemic transphobia among Wikipedia editing cabals and tearing Vox Day new rhetorical assholes on internet radio. It's a less wonderful thing when he gets it in his head that any opinion he holds is self-evidently virtuous and proper because he holds it.
Sandifer's batshit crazy fans probably made him worse. There's one who's active both on his blog and at Gallifrey Base, where she posts interpretations that make Sandifer's nonsense about alchemy look positively rational. She's the sort of person whose obsequious ramblings probably feed into his ego.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Picklepuss posted:

Sandifer's batshit crazy fans probably made him worse. There's one who's active both on his blog and at Gallifrey Base, where she posts interpretations that make Sandifer's nonsense about alchemy look positively rational. She's the sort of person whose obsequious ramblings probably feed into his ego.

If we're thinking about the same person on GB, then yeah, she's pretty out there.

Though, for the most part, Gallifrey Base is a good source for spoiler info. Some people close to production post there. Also, I think it was reading that forum that drove Helen Raynor to tears after Daleks in Manhattan aired.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Picklepuss posted:

If you're talking about Jane Campbell, she's a goddamn genius and far more compelling a critic than Sandifer is, in my opinion. The ceaseless recurrence of the Circle-in-the-Square motifs bear out her interpretations with remarkable consistency.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

If we're thinking about the same person on GB, then yeah, she's pretty out there.

DoctorWhat posted:

If you're talking about Jane Campbell, she's a goddamn genius and far more compelling a critic than Sandifer is, in my opinion.
I'll meet you halfway and admit she's more entertaining to read. Sandifer just annoys me.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh hey, the Secret Santa e-mails went out! Now I have to think of what in the world to get the nice person whose name I got.

I mean, I have half an idea but I'm still kinda terrible at picking out gift things. :smith:
It's the thought that counts though and I'm putting in thought for you!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Having listening to that clip of the Doctor/Donna audio several times, can we please give David Tennant some sort of award for his pronunciation of the word "boys"?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

I’ve been enjoying the Survivors range. It’s bleak without being “dark and edgy” and an interesting take on the end of the world, British style.

I’ve also been working my way through the Frankenstein play with Arthur Darvill and Nicholas Briggs. It’s based on the novel and it’s pretty well done so far. I have to listen to it in chunks since it’s based on the novel and takes a bit to get going.

In the same vein, apparently Big Finish is going to release an audio play of the novel for Dracula with none other than Mark Gatiss as the Count…

Well I couldn't think of a better person to play Jonathan Harker than Arthur Darvill, they should cast him for that one too! The only reason I haven't jumped on Survivors is because I never saw the original series, but I DID see the remake with Paterson Joseph and I really liked it. If they'd have done audios with that cast, continuing that story, I'd have listened ages ago. As it is the one they're doing now sounds interesting, and it's on my radar, but it's low on the radar at this point.

Going to be all over The Prisoner when that hits though!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

"[i posted:

Earthshock[/i]"]

I am using that sentence with perhaps an odd degree of precision. It is better at being Doctor Who than any previous episode, given that so much of what makes it work is that it is an episode of Doctor Who. It is unapologetic, and indeed triumphant about pulling tricks that only Doctor Who can do. “Adric killed the dinosaurs.” I mean, that’s the most gloriously trolling reveal imaginable. It all but invokes Poe’s Law on a particular segment of criticism of Doctor Who.

Master posted:

I am using that sentence with perhaps an odd degree of precision. It is better at being Doctor Who than any previous episode, given that so much of what makes it work is that it is an episode of Doctor Who. It is unapologetic, and indeed triumphant about pulling tricks that only Doctor Who can do. “As a child, the Doctor killed a boy who been bullying his friend, but made a deal with Death so that the friend would experience his guilt, leading to them both leaving Gallifrey and the friend becoming the Master.” I mean, that’s the most gloriously trolling reveal imaginable. It all but invokes Poe’s Law on a particular segment of criticism of Doctor Who.

Love and Monsters posted:

I am using that sentence with perhaps an odd degree of precision. It is better at being Doctor Who than any previous episode, given that so much of what makes it work is that it is an episode of Doctor Who. It is unapologetic, and indeed triumphant about pulling tricks that only Doctor Who can do. “Doctor Who fans are either fat, disgusting blobs who will ultimately harm anyone close to them or they are the victims of said blobs.” I mean, that’s the most gloriously trolling reveal imaginable. It all but invokes Poe’s Law on a particular segment of criticism of Doctor Who.

Stupid idea was actually brilliant, because people thought it was stupid. Good loving God.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

This should be great simply because Gatiss does a dead-on Anthony Ainley, so it may be the closest we get to that particular dream casting.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

TL posted:

Having listening to that clip of the Doctor/Donna audio several times, can we please give David Tennant some sort of award for his pronunciation of the word "boys"?

As soon as he stumbled over the word "wench" my wife and the kiddo lit up like Christmas trees.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

After The War posted:

This should be great simply because Gatiss does a dead-on Anthony Ainley, so it may be the closest we get to that particular dream casting.

Aww man I hate it when people point out obvious holes in my life I never realised were there and can never, ever be filled. This is worse than Leo McKern as Mr Wednesday in American Gods

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Santa presents purchased, now to wait two months for them to arrive and to be a deadbeat :getin:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The exact thing I've been thinking about giving all year has just appeared for the first time on eBay, but I can't do a "Buy It Now" and there are still three days left with one other bidder... :f5:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Have the Santa emails been sent already? I don't seem to have received mine yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

Have the Santa emails been sent already? I don't seem to have received mine yet.

I've not sent out a couple because I had to leave work early. Heading out shortly.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

I've not sent out a couple because I had to leave work early. Heading out shortly.

Okay, thanks! Didn't mean to hurry you or anything, I just wondered if something had got lost in the post.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

After The War posted:

The exact thing I've been thinking about giving all year has just appeared for the first time on eBay, but I can't do a "Buy It Now" and there are still three days left with one other bidder... :f5:

Is it the reliquary containing a genuine finger bone from our lord Billy Hartnell

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is it the reliquary containing a genuine finger bone from our lord Billy Hartnell

Hmm, yes, but... that would belong in a museum, wouldn't it JaKirton? Hm?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

After The War posted:

Stupid idea was actually brilliant, because people thought it was stupid. Good loving God.

I don't know or care to know about this Sandifer person, and I'm extremely bored by people talking about forums drama from other forums, but surely nobody would suggest killing Adric was a bad idea?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

After The War posted:

Hmm, yes, but... that would belong in a museum, wouldn't it JaKirton? Hm?

Some kind of space artefact place at that!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

marktheando posted:

I don't know or care to know about this Sandifer person, and I'm extremely bored by people talking about forums drama from other forums, but surely nobody would suggest killing Adric was a bad idea?

I meant the dinosaur part, but yes, Paul Magrs at least thought so. Don't listen to The Boy That Time Forgot if you can help it, ugh.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I just absolutely spoiled myself and watched a youtube video showing off all the Doctors and TARDIS interiors for the Lego Dimensions DW module.

Lego Eleven does the giraffe dance and it made me so happy I started crying.

Coincidentally I watched what I think is the same video yesterday night and yeah I chuckled when 11 did his dance. The game looks pretty loving ridiculously cute and I dig its attention to detail.

Linking the video for anygoon interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a442O-EPK70

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 19, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I stand amazed.

I thought they only came in boxes of ten!

http://dai.ly/xjemxb?start=1284

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Guys, I'm watching a classic episode and Sarah Jane just sprained her ankle! Is she going to be ok?!? :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Guys, I'm watching a classic episode and Sarah Jane just sprained her ankle! Is she going to be ok?!? :ohdear:

That depends, has she exchanged at least one sentence with a vaguely attractive male? Because if so she might fall deeply in love and leave the show forever!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

Going to be all over The Prisoner when that hits though!

I'm so torn. The new trailer they just put up has sold me a little more on their 6, but I'm a little skeptical of how closely it seems to be hewing to the original. Like, what's the point when I can watch the original in HD? I'm not a huge fan of the Ian McKellan version, but at least it tried something new.

Oh, and as for the Ten/Donna clip, I'd guess that's not the final mix, more likely a first quick pass in order to be able to have something to put up to appease fans/outlets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ever since the show came back I've been a sucker for Murray Gold's work, the individual character themes are pretty great in my opinion. But man, Twelve's is just loving spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JpbE_sVabI

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm watching the first episode of the Zygon two-parter and one of the overhead maps on a monitor for like a second was the city I live in. In fact, I could make out my neighborhood. This is probably more common than I'd think if I were British, but I'm on the other side of the world. And fortunately I don't live in New Mexico, either.

Just wanted to announce that I am Doctor Who canon. Until I'm not. I've probably been retconned by now. Bye.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 20, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AndyElusive posted:

Coincidentally I watched what I think is the same video yesterday night and yeah I chuckled when 11 did his dance. The game looks pretty loving ridiculously cute and I dig its attention to detail.

Linking the video for anygoon interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a442O-EPK70

This makes it clear that while 8 was not the one who fought in the time war, he was the one who got rid of the round things and is therefore history's greatest monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Angela Christine posted:

This makes it clear that while 8 was not the one who fought in the time war, he was the one who got rid of the round things and is therefore history's greatest monster.

The tv film started with Seven so...

• Locked thread