Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The original only went up to 12. DJBPlaythroughs did the remaining 6, with Chip and Ironicus guesting in the final episode, but those videos just disappeared from Youtube. I don't know where they went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

While you're correct that it's ridiculous to compare Pixar and Rooster Teeth, it doesn't really change the fact that the sort of CG production Rooster Teeth is attempting with RWBY just doesn't work well at all unless you have a lot of money and talent/people to contribute. Like, I don't think there's anything wrong with people choosing to make something like RWBY, but it's still clearly an amateur production that feels like the result of a college assignment or something.

I think this while infinitely more reasonable then "If Pixar can do it then why not a group of guys who started off filming their Xbox?" still misses just how we're supposed to contextualize RWBY. It's definitely by any reasonable metric above a college assignment; the art, mocap, fight choreography, generally decent voice actors, and the general upward trend on quality as they manage to build up their assets and ramp up.

We can also definitely conclude based on the RvB* that the production staff at RT is innovative, hard working, and adaptable.

In comparison minusT's 3D Danmaku videos took over a year to produce. And that's for 14 minutes! The average length of a RWBY episode took one talented man the a whole year, who I presume probably put as much spare time as he could into it.

So a college assignment could exceed the average RWBY quality sure, but I would only expect a few minutes after a month's work; not 15 minutes on a weekly basis; I think there are limits and constraints they are hitting with their limited resources sure, but I don't think there's any inherent rule or aspect to animation that insists it must require a huge company to pull off something half decent. The up front cost can be and this is I imagine that they are doing, by gradually ramping up their capabilities with generated revenue from their released content.

*Obviously there are plenty of people who don't like RvB, this is more from watching all of the various content that details their behind the scenes activities such as their podcasts and so on where they detail what they do.

I'm not giving equal time to evaluating RWBY's flaws as most of us know them already.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 15, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think this while infinitely more reasonable then "If Pixar can do it then why not a group of guys who started off filming their Xbox?" still misses just how we're supposed to contextualize RWBY. It's definitely by any reasonable metric above a college assignment; the art, mocap, fight choreography, generally decent voice actors, and the general upward trend on quality as they manage to build up their assets and ramp up.

We can also definitely conclude based on the RvB* that the production staff at RT is innovative, hard working, and adaptable.

In comparison minusT's 3D Danmaku videos took over a year to produce. And that's for 14 minutes! The average length of a RWBY episode took one talented man the a whole year, who I presume probably put as much spare time as he could into it.

So a college assignment could exceed the average RWBY quality sure, but I would only expect a few minutes after a month's work; not 15 minutes on a weekly basis; I think there are limits and constraints they are hitting with their limited resources sure, but I don't think there's any inherent rule or aspect to animation that insists it must require a huge company to pull off something half decent. The up front cost can be and this is I imagine that they are doing, by gradually ramping up their capabilities with generated revenue from their released content.

*Obviously there are plenty of people who don't like RvB, this is more from watching all of the various content that details their behind the scenes activities such as their podcasts and so on where they detail what they do.

I'm not giving equal time to evaluating RWBY's flaws as most of us know them already.

Yeah, I don't think that Rooster Teeth did a particular bad job with RWBY given their resources*. I just think that the sort of production that RWBY is pretty much requires a bunch of resources to be high quality. I realize that it's unreasonable to expect high quality CG animation with their budget and time constraints, but it doesn't really change the fact that the end result isn't that good. Like, if a friend of mine made something of RWBY's calibur I'd be super impressed at their accomplishment, even if I don't think their work is good compared with the works of professionals with more resources at their disposal.

I think part of why they're able to release episodes - and also what tends to bug me the most and looks the most amateur-ish - is how characters are animated. It's really obvious that they're just taking existing 3d models and changing their pose in order to animate them (I'm guessing this is why the program is called Poser). After seeing "actual" 3d animation it's kind of hard to enjoy something like RWBY.

*This post is just focusing on the animation and is completely ignoring the fact that the writing in RWBY is really bad and honestly isn't much better than I'd expect out of a random fanfiction.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Raenir Salazar posted:

In comparison minusT's 3D Danmaku videos took over a year to produce.

90% of which was apparently hand-placing bullet hell projectiles.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

It's really obvious that they're just taking existing 3d models and changing their pose in order to animate them (I'm guessing this is why the program is called Poser). After seeing "actual" 3d animation it's kind of hard to enjoy something like RWBY.

Taking models, rigging them up with bones and then posing them isn't a bad thing, in fact it's a fundamental method of 3d organic animation.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Maybe a better criticism of that is that sometimes it feels like they don't particularly pay attention to it? I'm not gonna go watch it again but even I could spot a whole bunch of places where the rigging just fell apart. Midway through season two and the walking still looked glide-y as gently caress whenever they were forced to show the characters moving around from the waist down.

White's dress is also awful.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Yeah definitely. Poser isn't great as a standalone animation suite, but it's not the sole cause of the poor quality.

I think the rwby team skipped a lot of animation fundamentals to get straight on to the fun bits. And they just don't spend enough time fine-tuning everything.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think what's happening that I noticed this episode is the more "stop motion" feeling "jerkyness" animations is something they're doing deliberately as a stylistic choice for when they want to do comedy, and then mocap/regular tweening (Setting up a bunch of frames and letting the program interpolate, how most animations are done) for everything else.

The walking animation early in the episode before the Crow-Winter fight you see along the courtyard path looked fine to me, but when Ruby and Weiss are talking to Winter it was jerky and weird.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Who the gently caress is Winter?

e. gently caress it, don't care.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I'm only halfway through the first season so far but I kind of like this, a lot of the physical humor and gags remind me of ReBoot. The production values don't bother me too much because the action bits and choreography are outstanding, and I find it hard to fault them for skimping on generic walking/talking/standing scenes to go balls out on the more interesting stuff. It's the same reaction I had to the sketchy Hunter X Hunter chapters, yeah they're low effort but they get the point across and it's still evident someone competent did them, which to me looks 100% better than something high effort done by someone with no talent for it.

The plot looks pretty mediocre though, and there have been some extremely cringeworthy bits so far (Ruby turning into a little hand drawn bobblehead version of herself :wtc: and more that I'm probably blocking out) but I can definitely see why this is popular. It's also interesting how someone earlier in the thread said how this show doesn't understand what it's trying to copy, the creator is actually cognizant of that exact thing, and I don't think he fails in this with RWBY, it's just that the execution is poor sometimes. Fascinating guy; RIP.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm waiting for the bad anime

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Sorry. Wound up napping.

Yeah, I dropped the ball there. Not gonna bother.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 15, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress you bitch i was promised rwby

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

If it was literally anything else, I would give a poo poo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We don't need battle cattle I'm gonna synctube it after work tomorrow

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gOOD

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
RWBY got 3rd in the box office in Japan this week :toot:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

As soon as big authentic anime lad is ready I'm gonna synchtube RWBY season 3

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Omw home from the gym right now, Namtab

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am ready Namtab

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://synchtu.be/r/hype_anims

It is time for RWBY, everyone get hype for RWBY

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad we could poo poo on episodes 1 and 2 together

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

See you next week!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As bad as the production quality of RWBY is it is still better than 90 percent of anime, plus Japan's low standards means that it is no wonder it does so well over there.

The music sucks though, as does most of RT's music. Trocadero's music output for RVB was loving awful apart from Blood Gulch Blues.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

As bad as the production quality of RWBY is it is still better than 90 percent of anime, plus Japan's low standards means that it is no wonder it does so well over there.

The music sucks though, as does most of RT's music. Trocadero's music output for RVB was loving awful apart from Blood Gulch Blues.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In that gif ruby is your dumbass posts and I'm penny

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't think this is true.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know, repeating yourself doesn't make you any less wrong.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The first chapter of the comic came out and it's got exactly the problems you thought it would have, except Jaune gets beaten up in it. I'm gonna read this instead.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Did Tite Kubo do this adaption? It has a few of his more recent trappings like doing less in 19 pages than some can safely do in 6.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If Kubo made this series he wouldn't be afraid to have the lesbians

And also it would look nice if not be horribly plotted

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everyone else pronounces his name Kubo Titty, right?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Titty Kubo is the proper vernacular, tyvm

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

bap kubo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
dangerously low levels of yang in this thread

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Wikipedia posted:

Yang, by contrast, is fast, hard, solid, focused, hot, dry, and aggressive; and is associated with fire, sky, the sun, masculinity and daytime.

Yeah who's up for some hot, fast, aggressively hard masculinity?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

How the hell is Yang "Dry"?

No way in hell is she focused, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Obviously because Yin is feminine and wet, duh.

• Locked thread