Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My buddy got a +50% luck trinket and after playing about 6 games tonight it definitely supports the theory that it affects loot dice and sack rats. We were finding a loot die in a chest and a sack rat on almost every level, when I usually don't even see either one on a whole level. correlation is not causality and all that but it's starting to look like more than confirmation bias.

What we are wondering now is, does the person with the trinket have to be the one to open the chest for it to make a difference. So far it doesn't seem like it but it's hard to tell with so few cases.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I might be the minority here, but just tried pub nightmare, and it lives up to it's name. Pub hard I've barely has any issue with, in fact most pub groups have gone exceedingly well. Nightmare somehow everyone's pants go on their heads. Had 5 wipes in a row where I was to of nearly every score and handily the last to go down, while being half to quarter everyone else's level.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Huge Obamacare Fan posted:

I might be the minority here, but just tried pub nightmare, and it lives up to it's name. Pub hard I've barely has any issue with, in fact most pub groups have gone exceedingly well. Nightmare somehow everyone's pants go on their heads. Had 5 wipes in a row where I was to of nearly every score and handily the last to go down, while being half to quarter everyone else's level.

Yup, I've tried Nightmare 2 evenings in a row and 0 successes. People backtracking solo to get a grimoire, going back to dead bodies in Horn to get a tome despite warnings only to find out the door closed, non-stop friendly fire, people going afk, disconnect as soon as they get grabbed, it is a nightmare (heh).

With Fallout 4 released goons activity is at an all-time low and I'm sad to see this reach the level of L4D2 a few months after release where it was impossible to find a group and finish something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've mostly been lazy and just playing public games when I play without friends because I'm lazy and don't want to plug my mic in but I'll make sure to get in group chat when my friends are offline from now on

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've mostly been lazy and just playing public games when I play without friends because I'm lazy and don't want to plug my mic in but I'll make sure to get in group chat when my friends are offline from now on

This is exactly me. I dunno what it is about this particular game, but it's grabbing me way more than other similar co-op games of the past. Also I'm the weird one that gives no poo poo about modern fallout. In the group, but if you want to play and don't mind someone semi low level (mid 20a) who's not retarded but may be a bit drunk, add "total eclipse of the fart". Usually play either early afternoon or post midnight pst.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Huh, moving up to hard actually made the game a lot better as people are complete twats on normal. On hard they get advanced tactics like stick together or hide behind the guy with a shield. Mindblowing.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

BioTech posted:

Yup, I've tried Nightmare 2 evenings in a row and 0 successes. People backtracking solo to get a grimoire, going back to dead bodies in Horn to get a tome despite warnings only to find out the door closed, non-stop friendly fire, people going afk, disconnect as soon as they get grabbed, it is a nightmare (heh).

With Fallout 4 released goons activity is at an all-time low and I'm sad to see this reach the level of L4D2 a few months after release where it was impossible to find a group and finish something.

There will probably be a spike if the DLC with new levels and bad guys to kill comes out and is reasonably priced.

If I were them I'd make the DLC standalone, so really this game is called "Warhammer: End Times" and the section we have bought is called "Vermintide" say the next DLC is adds new levels and heroes that fight the Orks in a different city, they call that "Waaaagh" or something and you can just buy that DLC and play those levels with the Waaaagh heroes if you want, or you can buy the whole thing and play all the original levels and use the original heroes.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Fishstick posted:

It is mostly very CPU heavy although the last patch has fixed that a bit. I'm on a 670 and can run things on medium/mixed high at 60fps with dips when the cpu can't cope with the shitton of rats. A 260 is probably gonna have a bad time unless you have a decent CPU to go with it, even on lowest settings.

You guys weren't kidding about this game being CPU heavy as gently caress. I have a GTX960, SSD and 8gbs of ram, but a core2quad q9500. The game runs like absolute poo poo on lowest at 720p. Anything I can do to make this better?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Rats are a drain on memory. Kill more rats to improve performance.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Backhand posted:

Rats are a drain on memory. Kill more rats to improve performance.

But then the rats are converted to statistics which are kept in memory, thus draining performance. I am very confident that is how computer work.

Pulled off the sickest headshot on a packmaster with a longbow from across the room in the finale of Gardens of Morr. I went to one side assuming I was being followed by a teammate, started beating on a chain, turned around to fight off some rats and realized teammates had all gone to the opposite side without a word. I don't know what happened to them as I was about to go down fighting a bunch of rats with a stormvermin, somehow pulled it off, saw one teammate was down, one grabbed and I think the other was swamped. Nailed the packmaster and they all recovered.

Then I whiffed a jump, landed in poison and went down instantly. :bravo:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
One of my most nerve wracking moments was realising a pack master was running towards me while I was reloading my handgun trying to save everyone else as I was the last man standing.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

To be honest I panic more when I hear the jingling bone charms of a packmaster than a rat ogre roar.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I have smashed a packmaster with a hammer as he grabs me, killing him and releasing me instantly.

I also use the blunderbus.

Get on my level.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I was jumped by a Gutter Runner, but hit him mid-air with a grenade.

He died, I still fell down, stabbing animation started and stopped right away, 0 damage, got back up and I still had my grenade.

Free grenade!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I have smashed a packmaster with a hammer as he grabs me, killing him and releasing me instantly.

I also use the blunderbus.

Get on my level.

On the other hand I met a packmaster that grabbed me from twice the normal range, and as the camera zoomed out his extendo stick shortened to normal length. I guess it was lag but it was still funny/terrifying.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tommofork posted:

On the other hand I met a packmaster that grabbed me from twice the normal range, and as the camera zoomed out his extendo stick shortened to normal length. I guess it was lag but it was still funny/terrifying.

Yeah I think the lag is the cause of the extendo stick but gently caress me is it annoying/funny.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Tommofork posted:

To be honest I panic more when I hear the jingling bone charms of a packmaster than a rat ogre roar.

i get mentally owned everytime i hear gutter runners

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

hey man, decent NM players don't play Horn. I believe horn was the 5th or 6th map I managed to clear on NM, simply because all the incompetent pubbies queue for Horn only.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Kitchner posted:

There will probably be a spike if the DLC with new levels and bad guys to kill comes out and is reasonably priced.

If I were them I'd make the DLC standalone, so really this game is called "Warhammer: End Times" and the section we have bought is called "Vermintide" say the next DLC is adds new levels and heroes that fight the Orks in a different city, they call that "Waaaagh" or something and you can just buy that DLC and play those levels with the Waaaagh heroes if you want, or you can buy the whole thing and play all the original levels and use the original heroes.

There will be DLC that will require this game, but if things go well it does look like they are setting up for a sequel of "Greentide" or "Bonetide" or whatever, which would sense as more of a standalone sequel type. Should also allow them to explore new character classes, they previously mentioned they whittled down to the current 5 from 50ish.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Nurel posted:

i get mentally owned everytime i hear gutter runners

Pack masters are bigger cunts than gutter runners in my view, they are easier to pick out because ironically they draw more attention to themselves.

Plus shouting "sneak sneak, stab stab" so everyone in the vicinity can hear you is a bad way to be a good assassin.

I feel ultimate hardcore mode should remove the queues from the specials unless they are right next to you. Maybe the rat ogre keeps his.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Skandranon posted:

There will be DLC that will require this game, but if things go well it does look like they are setting up for a sequel of "Greentide" or "Bonetide" or whatever, which would sense as more of a standalone sequel type. Should also allow them to explore new character classes, they previously mentioned they whittled down to the current 5 from 50ish.

I don't see a reason to release a new stand alone game when they have spent all this time building the engine. Unless some of those 50 classes use totally new game mechanics that their engine can't handle, they could just release the DLC esque expansion. For example:

Waaagh expansion
New levels in a new location
New enemy - Orks
5 new classes: Empire Engineer, Brentonian Knight, High Elf Wizard, (Whatever the armoured Lizardmen are), Empire Halbardier

Undead Expansion
New enemy - Vampire Counts
5 new classes: Empire Celestial Wizard, Bretonian Man-at-Arms, Dwarven Slayer, High Elf Phoenix Guard, Empire Warrior Priest

After those new 10 I'm actually struggling to think of a another 40 classes that would be cool to play as but you get the point.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Gestalt Intellect posted:

My buddy got a +50% luck trinket and after playing about 6 games tonight it definitely supports the theory that it affects loot dice and sack rats. We were finding a loot die in a chest and a sack rat on almost every level, when I usually don't even see either one on a whole level. correlation is not causality and all that but it's starting to look like more than confirmation bias.

What we are wondering now is, does the person with the trinket have to be the one to open the chest for it to make a difference. So far it doesn't seem like it but it's hard to tell with so few cases.

I doubt it. I believe items are chests are spawned when the level begins. Sometimes you'll see items clip outside the chest.

I'm also under the assumption that the luck trinket only affects loot dice. Running powdered cheese with, I believe, +150% luck we found loot dice quite often. It's hard to tell whether or not it has an effect on actual loot such as potions, bombs, or healing items since sometimes the game showers you with stuff and other times it's stingier than hell. I've since removed the luck trinket in favor of something that helps me or the team out.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Kitchner posted:

I don't see a reason to release a new stand alone game when they have spent all this time building the engine. Unless some of those 50 classes use totally new game mechanics that their engine can't handle, they could just release the DLC esque expansion. For example:

Waaagh expansion
New enemy - Orks
5 new classes: Empire Engineer, Brentonian Knight, High Elf Wizard, (Whatever the armoured Lizardmen are), Empire Halbardier

Undead Expansion
New enemy - Vampire Counts
5 new classes: Empire Celestial Wizard, Bretonian Man-at-Arms, Dwarven Slayer, High Elf Phoenix Guard, Empire Warrior Priest

After those new 10 I'm actually struggling to think of a another 40 classes that would be cool to play as but you get the point.

I don't know what you mean by 'standalone DLC' then, but anything that doesn't require Vermintide to be installed is essentially a separate game, even if it is just a new set of maps & characters in the same engine.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Dunno, this is a smallish game with a fairly small audience. The above just seems like it would fragment the hell outta the community and make finding games super annoying.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Skandranon posted:

I don't know what you mean by 'standalone DLC' then, but anything that doesn't require Vermintide to be installed is essentially a separate game, even if it is just a new set of maps & characters in the same engine.

He's talking Dawn of War 1 style where you can play with anyone with any of the versions, but if you want to play Imperial Guard you had to have Winter Assault

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nebiros posted:

He's talking Dawn of War 1 style where you can play with anyone with any of the versions, but if you want to play Imperial Guard you had to have Winter Assault

They also did this with Dawn of War 2 Last Stand - they released it as 'stand alone DLC' later where if you didn't care about DoW2 you could buy Last Stand for a burger and play that with your homies who had the full game.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Nebiros posted:

Ah, yes, Payday style map/character releases. Yeah, this would be preferable, as it keeps the community together.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Skandranon posted:

Ah, yes, Payday style map/character releases. Yeah, this would be preferable, as it keeps the community together.

It's not quite the same thing - for Payday 2 you need to buy the base game, which isn't a ton of investment but is still a like 20 dollar hoop someone has to jump through to get access to the DLC in the first place. With stand alone stuff you just buy the content you're interested in directly. So the difference being you wouldn't necessarily even need to buy the Ubersreik campaign to play a theoretical Chaos campaign. It's different because for Payday 2 to play Big Bank you absolutely must buy access to all the 'default' heists like Harvest & Trustee.

Still avoids the community fragmentation problem though so the important stuff is the same.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Skandranon posted:

It's like when you see DLC that days "Does not require original game to play" so you can buy the DLC and just play the DLC on its own, but if you have the regular game it's just an add on.

So in this context instead of bringing out say 5 separate games that have no cross over, you have 1 "real game" and 4 add ons that can be played separately or together if you own the actual game.

So if you buy the game (1) and the DLC (2) from your point of view you're playing one game and you can play any levels with any characters (1+2).

If you just buy the DLC (2) you can play the DLC content with your friends who own the game and the DLC (1+2) or friends who just bought the DLC (2).

If a third DLC like that is brought out people who own the game and the DLC (1+2+3) can play on any level with any class.

People who own just the first DLC (2) or the second DLC (3) can only play with those who own the same DLC as them.

Players who own both DLCs and not the game (2 and 3) can play with both but would probably have two different saves as they don't own the main game to tie it all together (so they can only play DLC 2 levels with DLC 2 characters, and DLC 3 levels with DLC 3 characters).

The alternative is you could just force people to buy the game plus DLC, but if each paid DLC had the same content level as the main game (I.E. Like 10 levels, new enemies, and 5 characters with associated loot) then presumably you'd be charging the same for the DLC as the main game, making people double the price to play the game if they don't care about killing rats but do like whatever race you've just released.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Coolguye posted:

It's not quite the same thing - for Payday 2 you need to buy the base game, which isn't a ton of investment but is still a like 20 dollar hoop someone has to jump through to get access to the DLC in the first place. With stand alone stuff you just buy the content you're interested in directly. So the difference being you wouldn't necessarily even need to buy the Ubersreik campaign to play a theoretical Chaos campaign. It's different because for Payday 2 to play Big Bank you absolutely must buy access to all the 'default' heists like Harvest & Trustee.

Still avoids the community fragmentation problem though so the important stuff is the same.

What would be really interesting is if there could be cross-talk between them, like the Ubersreik gang doing new missions, though will probably be impossible to do plausible dialog among too many more characters.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
The community wouldn't be fragmented by what I've said by the way as everyone can play with everyone else. The only downer would be if you owned two different stand alone DLC it would treat them as individual games meaning you cant fuse items from both DLCs and you couldn't search for games from more than one DLC at a time. Problems you can avoid by then buying the original game for £20.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Skandranon posted:

What would be really interesting is if there could be cross-talk between them, like the Ubersreik gang doing new missions, though will probably be impossible to do plausible dialog among too many more characters.

The vast majority of stuff they say isn't mission specific. So you'd only need the voice actors to say like 5-6 lines extra each per expansion.

EDIT: That's if you bother at all. Most of them just say things like "This way!" outside of the first 10 seconds of the level. If you record generic lines like "Stop dawdling and start hauling those over here!" you can just insert that into any fetch bit of a level, "Hurry up, they won't wait forever!" for the escape etc. Then have a generic start like "The enemies of the Empire will suffer my wrath!" which can be played at the start of the level and job done.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 19, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If you go that way it should be possible for each of the adventure packs to include the base game things, and then just have the one you're running from check for the presence of the others, and if present flag their content as available.

Basically just split the current game into The End Times and the Vermintide content pack DLC and have all the other content packs come with The End Times if you don't have it.

Alternately, just progressively lower the price of the base game as new stuff comes out.

Also it's generally considered cool to let hosts host content they have for friends without.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
It would make sense to just leave the original characters and put them up against new enemies and in new locales. If they really want to hook in those loot based players, make a rare item or two for each character for each slot (head, melee, ranged)

You wouldn't need that many extra characters. You could just give different weapons that accomplish the same. Dual axe/hammers for Dwarf, Pole arm for elf, flail for soldier, etc etc. Then intro one new character per major dlc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really doubt we're going to see a different group of enemies without a completely new game. An enormous amount of work went into the skaven being the only enemies in the game, from all of their animations to a huge number of character lines to all the design and coding of the enemies themselves (particularly specials). They may add new kinds of rat enemies but I would be amazed if they have the time and resources to make an orkflood expansion. I would like to see some more guys like storm vermin that are big threats but not quite specials, kind of like L4D2's "uncommon common infected"

New player characters also have a pretty big scalability problem where each one means new dialogue for all preexisting characters, unless you just have the old characters conspicuously not acknowledge the presence of the new one, which is shoddy since right now the characters have very good banter and call each other by name. They may add 1 new character but I would be surprised if there are more than that.

New maps and weapons are the pretty obvious choice here, and I'd love to see some more variety in the weapons. A halberd on the witch hunter or sgt would be amazing. Maybe even give it a damage sweet spot where rats too close to you won't be hit by the halberd blade and will take less damage, but sweeps at the perfect range will be devastating.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
It would be completely hilarious if they went and had us fight undead next. For it to be greenskins and still fit lore-wise with the strength of the heroes it would need to be mostly goblins, which would be kind of lame, but orcs would basically be on par with stormvermin unless they were completely unarmored (savage orcs?)

Gonna have to be honest and agree with it being unlikely we will get new enemy factions without an entirely new game.

I do think they could have us fighting skaven in other locations though, maybe even take the fighting to them.

e: also I really hope there's good stuff to do with trashy oranges in the coming update, I have an innate ability to roll orange repeater pistols and swift bows.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 19, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They could do Karak Eight Peaks, which is (i think) the Dwarf hold where Skaven, Dwarves, and Goblins have fought to a perpetual stalemate.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think they could mix up enemy types as long as they didn't worry about 1:1 comparisons. For greenskins, goblins could replace slaves/clanrats easily enough while orcs would be the equivalent of 2-3 clanrats. At least in health if not in damage. Black orcs could be like two stormvermin each. Enemy numbers would of course have to be tweaked to compensate for all of the changes. They'd also have to worry about spawn points since an orc isn't going to clamber out of a hole in the wall and nimbly climb down like your average skaven. I'm sure something could be worked out.

On this subject, I seem to remember the devs saying they were working on some chaos-themed enemies. Marauders and chaos warriors would make for some scary opponents if they're given the right stats.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Thing is if they develop a "new game" for a new enemy it's just going to be the same engine with new characters, locations, and a tweak to the enemy AI (e.g. Vampire counts zombies will be like, well, zombies).

Yes they would need to animate a whole new range of characters (there are 9 different types of enemy with only the clan rats showing a huge variety of models, slaves and specials are all the same) but after they do that and change the way the AI acts what is really requiring this to be a new game? Surely by creating the engine and the AI director and almost everything else they've done most the work?

Even for new characters apart from the dialogue problem, something like a sward slayer would be relatively easy to put in as the concept of what a character looks like and the types of damage weapons do is already established.

From what the team said on a Reddit AMA they are keen to do other races (undead are the obviously easy one as it's basically just L4D then) and I don't think they'd need to do a stand alone game where vermintide veterans need to start from scratch again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Skaven vs. Skaven mode when? I could see that being an interesting expansion given the whole Skaven backstory being semi-warring clans always competing against each other for everything.

Finally got an orange hatchet for WH. It's beautiful.

• Locked thread