Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fereydun posted:

please, maxson isn't even half as fun as dubya
dude will never get down w/ these moves, he's just a regular ol' hitler

now I know where Drake learned his moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

gullah jack posted:

a bunch of naked, invulnerable caravan guards got into the mix and killed everybody with their bare hands

This is the obvious actual resolution to that situation. You got the working version.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shadowlz posted:

You're forced to kill. I'm pretty sure at least. I got to a part of the story where I didn't see a way to avoid a violent confrontation.

Tenzarin posted:

Nope, there is no peaceful option. Deacon explains it best for the game.

Harrow posted:

You definitely can't do a pacifist playthrough. The best you can hope for is using high-ranking Charisma perks to make NPC enemies kill each other for you, but that's not very reliable. There are several villains that you absolutely have to fight and other scenarios that mean you definitely have to kill people.

That sucks. Thanks for the quick responses gentlegoons.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

iGestalt posted:

This is the obvious actual resolution to that situation. You got the working version.
I got literally a dozen Gauss Rifles out of the deal so I for one welcome our nude, violent caravan guard overlords.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Does the Robotics Expert perk that lets you hack enemy robots work on Synths?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bethesda should abandon main quests entirely and focus on a small number of larger quest chains with interesting characters in their open world games. They do companions well but they only ever have a tiny chain of 2-3 personal quests that end with some perk. If they had made Shaun an orphan baby you find along with a quest NPC who then takes care of them and had a bunch of small time leaps across the game that would age him, they could have an interesting thing where you help raise this kid and he can end up running away and becoming a raider or joining the institute because you raised him to be super well educated but with loose morals. Include a bunch of other similar quest chains with other NPC's where your relationship with them develop over the various time leaps (you invested in a store, he's now a rich merchant or you didn't and he just travels around with a mule but generates legendary items) and you might actually care about the charaters.

Instead you interact with NPC's once and forget they exist.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Demiurge4 posted:

Bethesda should abandon main quests entirely and focus on a small number of larger quest chains with interesting characters in their open world games. They do companions well but they only ever have a tiny chain of 2-3 personal quests that end with some perk. If they had made Shaun an orphan baby you find along with a quest NPC who then takes care of them and had a bunch of small time leaps across the game that would age him, they could have an interesting thing where you help raise this kid and he can end up running away and becoming a raider or joining the institute because you raised him to be super well educated but with loose morals. Include a bunch of other similar quest chains with other NPC's where your relationship with them develop over the various time leaps (you invested in a store, he's now a rich merchant or you didn't and he just travels around with a mule but generates legendary items) and you might actually care about the charaters.

I would play a Fallout where the final boss was Shaun, your son and the opposing Junklord drug baron of East Boston or whatever.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Trick Question posted:

So, how do you turn in quests to dudes you've already befriended? Got a couple hanging out in my log but whenever I talk to the dudes I only get the option to join up with them or not.
Have them join you and then talk to them again. It's really handy to have Preston following you around when you're doing his quests. ;)

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Regarding the institute, did they ever explain what happened to dude who made Kellog into a cyborg? The terminal I read said they had a big following and were really into the project. It kinda sounded like DLC bait.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Harrow posted:

You definitely can't do a pacifist playthrough. The best you can hope for is using high-ranking Charisma perks to make NPC enemies kill each other for you, but that's not very reliable. There are several villains that you absolutely have to fight and other scenarios that mean you definitely have to kill people.
You almost could do a pacifist playthrough if you hacked yourself a bunch of crafting components so you could level up by building your settlement until you have enough pacifism perks accumulated. It'd be boring as gently caress and frankly your companions won't be able to protect you if you can't rely on your persuadertron abilities. I think it would be fun for a bit however once you befriend that sentry bot near sanctuary or find that spot that spawns the pair of deathclaws, you'd just walk around picking up loot and not gaining exp.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Have them join you and then talk to them again. It's really handy to have Preston following you around when you're doing his quests. ;)

drat, that kind of sucks - I sort of wish you could just turn them down cold, since I've already invested points in the lonesome wanderer perk. Thanks for the help!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Just noticed

gave me a chuckle

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Trick Question posted:

drat, that kind of sucks - I sort of wish you could just turn them down cold, since I've already invested points in the lonesome wanderer perk. Thanks for the help!
Does lonesome wanderer stop working forever if you hire a companion for 2 minutes to talk to them, and then pick up Dogmeat again?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I think my own version of Fallout 4 (I immediately regret posting this because I know I'm going to get made fun of for the very idea) would be pretty similar: you'd still be someone from before the Great War and you'd still be cryo-frozen, because I think that's a good setup. I'd have the player pick from four or five possible backgrounds at the start and then relegate those backgrounds to side quests throughout the game. All of them would touch the main plot in minor ways, but not be as tied into it as the family part is now. I'm basically copying Dragon Age: Origins here but, hey, it was pretty cool in that game.

For example, you could pick the Family Man/Woman background, which would be a lot like the family plot now: your son gets kidnapped from the vault, but instead of your spouse being murdered, they die from the cryo system failing like everyone else. Your side quest would be very similar to tracking Kellogg in the game as it is now, complete with the synth copy of your son, except now your son isn't the leader of the Institute but is just an elderly Institute scientist.

Or you could pick the Vault-Tec Employee background where you play as an employee of Vault 111 who was kept in the dark about the experiment. Your side quest would involve going to the other vaults in the Commonwealth and learning about their various experiments, one of which could tie into the Institute.

If you pick the Ex-Military background, your side quest would involve the Chinese submarine and Captain Zhao and maybe an exploration of a strategic site that was nuked in the Glowing Sea.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Does lonesome wanderer stop working forever if you hire a companion for 2 minutes to talk to them, and then pick up Dogmeat again?

I don't think it even breaks if you have like, an animal companion or something, only for dudes. I mean, I realize I could just pick them up and drop them again, but it just feels a bit awkward in practice.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Harrow posted:

I think my own version of Fallout 4 (I immediately regret posting this because I know I'm going to get made fun of for the very idea) would be pretty similar: you'd still be someone from before the Great War and you'd still be cryo-frozen, because I think that's a good setup. I'd have the player pick from four or five possible backgrounds at the start and then relegate those backgrounds to side quests throughout the game. All of them would touch the main plot in minor ways, but not be as tied into it as the family part is now. I'm basically copying Dragon Age: Origins here but, hey, it was pretty cool in that game.

For example, you could pick the Family Man/Woman background, which would be a lot like the family plot now: your son gets kidnapped from the vault, but instead of your spouse being murdered, they die from the cryo system failing like everyone else. Your side quest would be very similar to tracking Kellogg in the game as it is now, complete with the synth copy of your son, except now your son isn't the leader of the Institute but is just an elderly Institute scientist.

Or you could pick the Vault-Tec Employee background where you play as an employee of Vault 111 who was kept in the dark about the experiment. Your side quest would involve going to the other vaults in the Commonwealth and learning about their various experiments, one of which could tie into the Institute.

If you pick the Ex-Military background, your side quest would involve the Chinese submarine and Captain Zhao and maybe an exploration of a strategic site that was nuked in the Glowing Sea.

That's actually pretty cool but probably 90% of people will pick the ex military option leading to Bethesda axing all other backgrounds in the next game.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I like the "backgrounds" idea but it should just be a way of defining your starting stats/skills sort of thing like in Mount & Blade (and maybe in one of the early TES games? I don't remember), I don't think it needs to go so far as having quests based on them

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Earwicker posted:

I like the "backgrounds" idea but it should just be a way of defining your starting stats/skills sort of thing like in Mount & Blade (and maybe in one of the early TES games? I don't remember), I don't think it needs to go so far as having quests based on them

That was kinda the whole point here though? The game already has quests based on your background but it just picks that background for you which is lame as hell from a roleplaying standpoint.

You must be married, you must be straight or bi and you must have a child. Already I barely identify with this character. You can go gay after your wife dies though! :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I feel like I'm missing something with all these jokes about a Mr. Bib in both threads.

Nail Rat posted:

I saw a mudcrab the other day. Dreadful creatures.

If mudcrabs were as dangerous as mirelurks I'd understand people hating them so much.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As far back as the E3 announcement it was Bethesda's stated intention to make players care more about the story of the game by focusing on a singular protagonist and gutting the dialog system. None of this is an accident of bad writing, it's their new design philosophy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

As far back as the E3 announcement it was Bethesda's stated intention to make players care more about the story of the game by focusing on a singular protagonist and gutting the dialog system. None of this is an accident of bad writing, it's their new design philosophy.

The part that is a failure on their part is that they didn't pull off the thing they gutted the dialog system to achieve.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
They should philosophize something else

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

And I think they should have gone all the way with it and copied Mass Effect. Instead we got a half baked poor effort story that nobody cares about anyway. They could have at least spent some time Shaun and made him a 5 year old, just something you can interact with and care about.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I just don't get the frustration about being unable to define a background.

There's no way to play Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 as anything other than Gorion's ward, a sheltered young adult who grew up in Candlekeep, who has secret Bhaalspawn powers. You can't be from any other town, you can't have been raised by anyone but Gorion, you can't be the godspawn of somebody other than Bhaal or not be a godspawn. That's a very specific set of roleplaying constraints.

Ironically some of the RPGs that do the absolute least of this are Bethesda's own Elder Scrolls games, which basically begin with "you're a prisoner" as the only roleplaying constraint, leaving the incredibly important questions of why you're in jail and whether you even deserve to be there up to the player's imagination.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Ironically some of the RPGs that do the absolute least of this are Bethesda's own Elder Scrolls games, which basically begin with "you're a prisoner" as the only roleplaying constraint, leaving the incredibly important questions of why you're in jail and whether you even deserve to be there up to the player's imagination.
Which makes how flat the background stories of Fallout 3 and 4 are pretty hilarious

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's no way to play Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 as anything other than Gorion's ward, a sheltered young adult who grew up in Candlekeep, who has secret Bhaalspawn powers. You can't be from any other town, you can't have been raised by anyone but Gorion, you can't be the godspawn of somebody other than Bhaal or not be a godspawn. That's a very specific set of roleplaying constraints.

I think there are two components to the "Fallout 4 forced a background on me" complaint (which, I should note, is not really my issue with Fallout 4's story and quest design, so I apologize if I mischaracterize anyone's criticism):
  • Previous Fallout games either had more general backgrounds ("You grew up in Vault 13," "You grew up in this tribe," "You were a courier"), or gave you more time to interact with and influence aspects of your background ("You grew up in Vault 101 and play select portions of your childhood"). People aren't comparing it to all RPGs--they're comparing it to previous Fallout games.
  • Fallout 4 doesn't really succeed at using that defined background to drive its story in the way that Baldur's Gate does, or like Mass Effect does. Given this, people see the defined background as a sacrifice the game made (compared to previous Fallout games) that wasn't worth it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i think this is actually part of the thing that generates the issue in the first place, same w/ the fallout name being behind a lot of the story and rpg-element related gripes
more importantly, where the hell is my gilbert gottfried background where i am just literally gilbert gottfried, voiced by gilbert gottfried (or a poor impersonator)

efb hard damnit

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Well they totally changed this with skyrim, YOU ARE DRAGONKIN SHOOT FIRE FROM MOUTH!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

"you have to come from X fantasy town" and "you are the chosen one" are pretty typical and minor. "You have to be married to a person of the opposite sex and you have a child" is not.

Clear as mud?

Even in Skyrim, its easier to ignore that you might be the dragonborn than it is to ignore Fallout4's "You are missing your loving child" story.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

Well they totally changed this with skyrim, YOU ARE DRAGONKIN SHOOT FIRE FROM MOUTH!
you're a wizard `arry

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't particularly care which way they go with it, but having a pre-defined background means that you have write that background really well to get your player to care. Bethesda did not, and will likely never do that with their current writing team. Saying "you got captured at the border to Hammerfell or w/e who gives a gently caress" means that I have to pay that much less attention to the story, and with Pagliachi or whoever writing the thing is a net benefit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Good god, the Brewing Bot has the dumbest jokes. I recommend everyone go and listen to him for a while if they've rescued him. The deadpan robot delivery also makes it more hilarious than it should be.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

gullah jack posted:

the quest is working as intended. it feels like the intent with this quest is that you'd be hostile with at least one faction by this point but if you aren't it just comes across as hilariously busted. for me it was busted anyway, because a bunch of naked, invulnerable caravan guards got into the mix and killed everybody with their bare hands

What a weird oversight, also yep all the caravan guards in bunker hill are naked for me too. :downsbravo:

peak bethesda

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 19, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

clearly we're gonna have different backgrounds and voiced protagonists just go all the way with the nonsense and have a bunch of voices that are terrible celebrity impersonations
someone made an arnie character but there's yet to be an arnie voice pack for the dude

just dogmeat (???)
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/906/
with some silly trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8itXAr-we7U

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I built mama murphy a chair so she'd stop bothering me. And then another. A week and like 10 chairs later "Still waiting for that chair..." :ssj:

Not only is mama murphy immortal, but the entire settlement goes hostile when I try to kill her. Codsworth and a few others are immortal as well. And they all stay hostile after leaving and traveling back. It's dumb that so many NPCs are immortal and that a settlement you built can go permanently hostile. So now I guess is a good time to scrap everything at sanctuary hills and build a proper settlement with no mama murphys allowed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sanctum posted:

I built mama murphy a chair so she'd stop bothering me. And then another. A week and like 10 chairs later "Still waiting for that chair..." :ssj:

Not only is mama murphy immortal, but the entire settlement goes hostile when I try to kill her. Codsworth and a few others are immortal as well. And they all stay hostile after leaving and traveling back. It's dumb that so many NPCs are immortal and that a settlement you built can go permanently hostile. So now I guess is a good time to scrap everything at sanctuary hills and build a proper settlement with no mama murphys allowed.

Just force feed her jet until she keels over.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sanctum posted:

There's a quest specific chair you need to build her that pops up under the 'special' category, which will shut her up. Then keep feeding her chems till she dies and you don't have to listen to her terrible VA any more (you do however have to listen to a bunch of judgey assholes who are mad that you gave her what she wanted).

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

There's a quest specific chair you need to build her that pops up under the 'special' category, which will shut her up. Then keep feeding her chems till she dies and you don't have to listen to her terrible VA any more (you do however have to listen to a bunch of judgey assholes who are mad that you gave her what she wanted).

It isn't under a special category, it shows up on the very top menu next to the 'Structures' at the start.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does she die off screen or can I watch her heartburst from jet overdose in real time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magmarashi posted:

It isn't under a special category, it shows up on the very top menu next to the 'Structures' at the start.

Oh, you mean the category that's specifically labeled "special" that typically doesn't exist, shows up for the quest, and isn't grouped with the rest of the chairs, you loving imbecile?

• Locked thread