Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
sorry wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I've already put in an RMA request with Galax, but let me get your opinion of whether this is a failed video card or not.

Was playing FO4 and the game crashes, no video is displayed but I safely shutdown the PC just by pressing the power button on my case(The windows audio for shutting down plays). Go back to playing FO4, think it's just a memory leak or something been playing for several hours. Get to the same area, game crashes again causing a corrupted audio loop. Have to hard shutdown the PC to get it to turn off. Go to turn it back on, the motherboard gets stuck on PCI-E initialization(Red lights on motherboard indicate item being initialized). The video card has lighting effects on it, so when the PC first starts the lights turn on then after about 5 seconds turn off. No video displays at all during this. I changed the BIOS with the button that is on the card, same thing happens with different BIOS. One BIOS was from Galax to try and fix fan ramping issues I was having, the second BIOS was the original stock BIOS.

My computer will still start without problems using integrated graphics and with the card NOT install in the system.

I try the video card in a second PC with completely different specs of mine and it repeats the same symptoms. Lights turn on then off, doesn't display video at all. Now this card is only 2.5 months old.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SlayVus posted:

So I've already put in an RMA request with Galax, but let me get your opinion of whether this is a failed video card or not.

Was playing FO4 and the game crashes, no video is displayed but I safely shutdown the PC just by pressing the power button on my case(The windows audio for shutting down plays). Go back to playing FO4, think it's just a memory leak or something been playing for several hours. Get to the same area, game crashes again causing a corrupted audio loop. Have to hard shutdown the PC to get it to turn off. Go to turn it back on, the motherboard gets stuck on PCI-E initialization(Red lights on motherboard indicate item being initialized). The video card has lighting effects on it, so when the PC first starts the lights turn on then after about 5 seconds turn off. No video displays at all during this. I changed the BIOS with the button that is on the card, same thing happens with different BIOS. One BIOS was from Galax to try and fix fan ramping issues I was having, the second BIOS was the original stock BIOS.

My computer will still start without problems using integrated graphics and with the card NOT install in the system.

I try the video card in a second PC with completely different specs of mine and it repeats the same symptoms. Lights turn on then off, doesn't display video at all. Now this card is only 2.5 months old.

Yeah that's a dead video card if it doesn't work in another system.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I must say, Galax tech support is fast. I put in my RMA at 2am, got an RMA number by 8:30am same day.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

MasterSlowPoke posted:

While cleaning I found some old parts in the bottom of my closet:

- XFX N650 Motherboard, with 4 sticks of what I assume are 4 gigs of DDR2 ram in it. there's a CPU in it but no heatsink, probably removed for space
- A never used heatsink for a Core I5 2500K
- A very well used heatsink for some sort of Intel processor, it might be for the motherboard or broken who knows
No one will pay much money for the heatsinks, but the CPU, RAM, and board would likely sell on eBay. Out of production RAM tends to sell well and someone will probably give you a few bucks for the CPU, less if it's not a quad core, more if it's like a Q9650 or something. The board and heatsinks I'd probably list them as-is and set them for bidding with buyer paying shipping.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is this a good deal?

HP Spectre x360 13.3" 1080p Laptop (Refurb): i7-5500U, 8GB LPDDR3, 256GB SSD

http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/169009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Is this a good deal?

HP Spectre x360 13.3" 1080p Laptop (Refurb): i7-5500U, 8GB LPDDR3, 256GB SSD

http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/169009

It looks like the battery life won't be too hot, and that keyboard isn't that good, but the hardware is quite excellent. I'd say jump on it if you want a 13 inch laptop.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
what's a normal spinup time for a wd3003fzex (wd black 3tb)? I couldn't find it on the spec sheet for the drive. SMART is measuring mine at 11.7 seconds, which seems long and it certainly hangs up certain programs launching

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

fishmech posted:

It looks like the battery life won't be too hot, and that keyboard isn't that good, but the hardware is quite excellent. I'd say jump on it if you want a 13 inch laptop.

Thanks! Ended up with this 17" one for $650

http://www.adorama.com/IHPJ9K05UABR.html?utm_source=EMW&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=AdoramaOrderConfirmation

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any obvious reason why going from 4 dimms to 2 dimms would cause a computer to not boot? I'm try to go from four 4GB stick to two 8GB sticks and when I do the computer will power on but I get a black screen and can't get to the BIOS. That's exactly what it does if there's no RAM installed at all. I've tried all the recommended configs in my motherboard's manual but the computer only seems to boot if all 4 dimms are filled.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does the manual specify which order the slots should be populated? I'd think A1 and B1 first. You could also try going into the BIOS, reset it to defaults, then see if it boots with two.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Does the manual specify which order the slots should be populated? I'd think A1 and B1 first.

That image I posted is from the manual and that's as much direction as it gives. It says to start with A2 and B2 which I did but then I tried A1 and B1 as part of my troubleshooting.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

You could also try going into the BIOS, reset it to defaults, then see if it boots with two.

I can't even get to the BIOS. When the computer starts I get a back screen and even the power button is unresponsive thereafter. Thanks for the suggestion though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
troubleshooting guide

put in all 4 old sticks. it works?
take out all but one, does it boot in slot 1? slot 2? etc
put in two of the old sticks. Try a couple different configurations.
if it works with all these configurations with the old ram, then it appears to be a problem with the new ram.

Try 1 stick of the new RAM, try the other stick alone as well. Do they work alone?
I think you get the idea...

another variable in the bios' RAM section might include "speed" with values like SPD or XMP, these values could be set wrong in/by the bios or the ram itself. Try changing that around.

edit: sorry, you obliviously already went over some of this.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If it boots with all four DIMMs installed, use that config to get into the BIOS and make changes.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

If it boots with all four DIMMs installed, use that config to get into the BIOS and make changes.

Good idea, but resetting the BIOS to factory default made no difference.

Jago posted:

troubleshooting guide

put in all 4 old sticks. it works?
take out all but one, does it boot in slot 1? slot 2? etc
put in two of the old sticks. Try a couple different configurations.
if it works with all these configurations with the old ram, then it appears to be a problem with the new ram.

Try 1 stick of the new RAM, try the other stick alone as well. Do they work alone?
I think you get the idea...

another variable in the bios' RAM section might include "speed" with values like SPD or XMP, these values could be set wrong in/by the bios or the ram itself. Try changing that around.

edit: sorry, you obliviously already went over some of this.

Okay, so I tried this and it turns out I was wrong about needing all 4. Here's what I observed by placing a single stick of each type of ram in just the A2 slot (which is what the manual says to do for single stick configs):

-One stick of the old RAM = All good. Can get to BIOS and boot Windows.
-One stick of the new RAM = Busted. Black screen for about 40 seconds then the computer seems to power-cycle itself. Waited another 40 seconds and got another power cycle.
-The other stick of the new RAM: Same results.

This new RAM is literally just the 8 gig version of the old RAM so I wouldn't think I would need to change the "speed" in the BIOS, would I?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What motherboard and CPU do you have? Your system may not support 8GB DIMMs.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
It might be helpful to know the make and model of old and new RAM. Maybe there's a voltage difference and your BIOS isn't automatically setting it correctly.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So I came into a handful of refurbished HDDs for extremely cheap, and am combing them over with CDI and trying to make heads or tails of whether they're any good or not. Reallocates Sector Count is 100 [Current], 100 [Worst] and 5 [Threshold] with a raw value of 1, exactly how hosed is this disk? I'm not sure how to read the data, but my understanding is that while something bad happened, as long as the threshold values comes nowhere near Current/Worst then it's okay?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

FaustianQ posted:

So I came into a handful of refurbished HDDs for extremely cheap, and am combing them over with CDI and trying to make heads or tails of whether they're any good or not. Reallocates Sector Count is 100 [Current], 100 [Worst] and 5 [Threshold] with a raw value of 1, exactly how hosed is this disk? I'm not sure how to read the data, but my understanding is that while something bad happened, as long as the threshold values comes nowhere near Current/Worst then it's okay?
If raw value is >0 it's on its way out as that number will just keep going up. Might be usable for a portable drive but I wouldn't trust it with anything critical.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SlayVus posted:

What motherboard and CPU do you have? Your system may not support 8GB DIMMs.

Motherboard: ASUS Z170M-PLUS
CPU: Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz

The motherboard manual on page 18 has this to say about RAM: "You may install 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB and 16 GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR4 DIMMs into the DIMM sockets."

utonium posted:

It might be helpful to know the make and model of old and new RAM. Maybe there's a voltage difference and your BIOS isn't automatically setting it correctly.

Old RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (4GBx4) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin Memory
New RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin Memory

In case you're curious I was having problems with games randomly freezing up that could be a problem with RAM. When I built this machine DDR4 RAM was scarce so I had to do the 4GBx4 setup. RAM's cheap so I figured I would just throw money at the problem and buy new RAM and simplify my setup with 8GBx2. Never had this much trouble with RAM before.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions so far.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I would say upgrade your BIOS if it isn't the latest version. Other than that, if it doesn't work return the RAM. There is no other reason for it not to be working like it should.

My suggestion for some RAM. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233834

Edit: Just found this BIOS upgrade.

Z170M-PLUS BIOS 0408
Enhance compatibility with some memory.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170M-PLUS/Z170M-PLUS-ASUS-0408.zip

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SlayVus posted:

I would say upgrade your BIOS if it isn't the latest version. Other than that, if it doesn't work return the RAM. There is no other reason for it not to be working like it should.

My suggestion for some RAM. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233834

Z170M-PLUS BIOS 0408

Sounds promising. Wouldn't think I'd need a BIOS upgrade on such a new motherboard but here we are. I'll try this next.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
After you do that, you should clear the BIOS settings using the hardware jumper or button.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

bitcoin savant posted:

If raw value is >0 it's on its way out as that number will just keep going up. Might be usable for a portable drive but I wouldn't trust it with anything critical.

It's currently being used to store pictures and videos. I'll monitor it and see where it goes but it seems like only a minor issue for now. All other HDDs checked out so not bad.

Unrelated to the previous question, does anyone know where I can find a different mounting bracket for an ASUS MG279Q stand? It looks like ASUS uses a VESA compatible mounting bracket in the PB279Q and the MG279Q and PB279Q share stands. Really irritaing since it's an otherwise really good monitor stand I can't use for anything else.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SlayVus posted:

Z170M-PLUS BIOS 0408

Just wanted to drop in and say this was the solution. Thanks for the suggestion and thanks to everyone else who replied. Still can't believe I needed a BIOS upgrade to use a slightly different configuration of the same type of RAM.

Good to know the PC still hasn't lost any of it's "charm". :pcgaming:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I remember a time when motherboard specified whether they worked with single or double sided memory. Because strangely, poo poo like that mattered.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
e im the worst

Setset fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 23, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there a specific type of rivet gun and rivets I can use to "repair" broken hinge mounts on laptops? It's for personal use so looks aren't incredibly important.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I'm crazy out of the loop on computer hardware ( last computer I built had a radeon 9800 agp card), and i'm still rocking an 09 Imac that could play L4D2 on low graphics reliably. My folks want to get me a new computer for xmas and they brought this to my attention. http://www.costco.com/.product.100228010.html?&EMID=B2C_2015_1124_ComputerSolo&wc_mid=2:94067&wc_rid=2:3478924

Will this play recent games well? Star Wars battlefront? I've never once had top of the line graphics so holy poo poo it would be cool just to play recent games.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Crunkjuice posted:

I'm crazy out of the loop on computer hardware ( last computer I built had a radeon 9800 agp card), and i'm still rocking an 09 Imac that could play L4D2 on low graphics reliably. My folks want to get me a new computer for xmas and they brought this to my attention. http://www.costco.com/.product.100228010.html?&EMID=B2C_2015_1124_ComputerSolo&wc_mid=2:94067&wc_rid=2:3478924

Will this play recent games well? Star Wars battlefront? I've never once had top of the line graphics so holy poo poo it would be cool just to play recent games.
That's not really capable of gaming because it lacks a gaming graphics card. For more questions check out the PC Building and Parts Picking Megathread, which despite the name would also be a good choice for determining what computer would match your needs and budget.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Crunkjuice posted:

Graphics card is going to be a problem on that PC, but you can just buy your own and swap it out. Other than that, looks good.

Of course if gaming on a PC is what you want to do then you should almost always build your own, but you said your parents want to buy it for you and unlike most goons I understand the realities of your situation.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im uninstalling a bunch of stuff off my 1tb HDD to prepare for the incoming 500GB ssd I just ordered to take its place as a boot drive.

I removed over 300gb of stuff but I dont see any freed up capacity when I view properties for the C drive. FolderSize shows the C drive as taking up about 100gb but its 400 in "computer"

Is there a tool I need to run to make windows see it properly?

*edit I found it all in the hidden recycle bin file that showed up with TreeSize. It all works now

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 25, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hi smart people! :wave:

I have a question, but due to the nature I am not sure if it fits here or the other, similar threads listed in the sticky. If I am in the wrong place, please let me know and I will vamoose.

I own a Dell U3014 Monitor (not tv) which I bought second hand and fully functional.

However, it has since broken and I wish to repair it. I have identified the fault with the aid of an engineer friend of mine, which is that a portion of one of the daughter boards inside is no longer conducting power. I have searched to no avail to find a retailer online for Dell monitor boards, and am guessing that is for a reason.

Is there such a source, or am I out of luck, and $1700 for a new one?

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 25, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

McGiggins posted:

Hi smart people! :wave:

I have a question, but due to the nature I am not sure if it fits here or the other, similar threads listed in the sticky. If I am in the wrong place, please let me know and I will vamoose.

I own a Dell U3014 Monitor (not tv) which I bought second hand and fully functional.

However, it has since broken and I wish to repair it. I have identified the fault with the aid of an engineer friend of mine, which is that a portion of one of the daughter boards inside is no longer conducting power. I have searched to no avail to find a retailer online for Dell monitor boards, and am guessing that is for a reason.

Is there such a source, or am I out of luck, and $1700 for a new one?

Don't mess around with it!

The U3014 is so new that I can't imagine it being out of warranty. They (and I believe all Dell UltraSharps) have 3-year advanced-exchange next business day warranties on them.
Just call Dell and get it exchanged for a new one. If the U3014 is like other UltraSharps, there's a little pull-out tab on the side with the serial number, manufacturing date, revision and so on.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 25, 2015

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
I'm going to be setting up a voip system for an office in the near future and need a little advice. We are going with vonage, and my understanding is that any voip phone is plug and play compatible.

The system we have now requires manually transferring calls from phone to phone. I want to be able to pick up a held call from any phone without requiring a transfer. Does this feature have a name? What am I looking for?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

My brother is having me install a spare 2.5 inch SSD into his desktop, but the adapter he bought doesn't play nice with the installation rails in this Dell. I can however, fit it into the spare optical drive bay.

My question is: can I power both the SSD and the DVD-RW off the same power connector? I don't see how it would be an issue since it's just power so the fact that they're 2 different "things" shouldn't really be an issue, but I figured I'd ask before I blew something up for assuming something.

Edit for clarity: What I mean is, that particular power cable from the PSU has 3 end connectors in a series. Can both the optical and disk drive be on that series?

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 25, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

GruntyThrst posted:

Edit for clarity: What I mean is, that particular power cable from the PSU has 3 end connectors in a series. Can both the optical and disk drive be on that series?
Yes that is fine.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

Im uninstalling a bunch of stuff off my 1tb HDD to prepare for the incoming 500GB ssd I just ordered to take its place as a boot drive.

I removed over 300gb of stuff but I dont see any freed up capacity when I view properties for the C drive. FolderSize shows the C drive as taking up about 100gb but its 400 in "computer"

Is there a tool I need to run to make windows see it properly?

*edit I found it all in the hidden recycle bin file that showed up with TreeSize. It all works now

If you still need a program to show you what's taking up space, WinDirStat is highly recommended. It makes storage space used into block spaces;bigger the block, the more space it takes up.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

Don't mess around with it!

I bought it second hand off of ebay, so I do not think there is any warranty I am eligible for. Ebay warranty is only 6 months I think anyway, and it has been longer than that.

I am capable of replacing the board in question (and my engineer friend most certainly could if I could not), however it is a source for the board that has stumped me.

I assume Dell has the parts on lockdown to prevent exactly this type of repair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
I have a question regarding HDMI and audio

I recently bought a Cintiq 13HD drawing tablet which has a screen and requires a HDMI connection to my laptop. Had to use this adapter ( http://www.conrad.com/medias/global/ce/8000_8999/8700/8730/8738/873882_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg ) because my laptop has no HDMI input.
That works fine but now when I have the tablet turned on my audio doesn't come through the laptop. I was wondering if there is a way to split the audio and HDMI feeds the comp isn't trying to send the audio through the HDMI or what ever is happening.