Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They just put out another patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Lorini posted:

They just put out another patch.

Praise Joregensen!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Efexeye posted:

Without the challenge of money, Anno is a very very very shallow city builder. It's like Cities: Skylines in that regard, more of a toy/playset than a game after the initial hump. I doubt most of the lovely reviews on Steam played on Hard, or until they hit the Moon.

Sometimes that's what I'm looking for, though. Like Prison Architect is still super fun when playing on endless money mode. Rollercoaster tycoon too. And The Sims.

There was a whole thing Will Wright said about videogames, "most games you play the game, like how you play a sport or play a song on an instrument. But with like action figures, you play with them. There's no set rules or game, you just come up with whatever creative things you want."

Lots of his games were designed more to be "played with" than played, like SimCity. That can be just as fun if not more so.

Bunmo
Jul 9, 2009

Grape
Soda
Banked

Zaphod42 posted:

Sometimes that's what I'm looking for, though. Like Prison Architect is still super fun when playing on endless money mode. Rollercoaster tycoon too. And The Sims.

There was a whole thing Will Wright said about videogames, "most games you play the game, like how you play a sport or play a song on an instrument. But with like action figures, you play with them. There's no set rules or game, you just come up with whatever creative things you want."

Lots of his games were designed more to be "played with" than played, like SimCity. That can be just as fun if not more so.

Quoted for Truth! I still have my Collector's Edition of Spore. I never got the Space Captain hero expansion thing though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Spore was the most disappointing for me, if only because Wright was hyping something closer to a revisit of SimEarth but delivered something that was less action figure and more a set of three differently shaped wood blocks. It wasn't even a game you play until the Space stage, let alone something you played with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ghostlight posted:

Spore was the most disappointing for me, if only because Wright was hyping something closer to a revisit of SimEarth but delivered something that was less action figure and more a set of three differently shaped wood blocks. It wasn't even a game you play until the Space stage, let alone something you played with.

Yeah spore was a huge disappointment. Its pretty clear that they got too ambitious, and at some point with how many delays it went through the publisher was just like "poo poo needs to ship now" and they had to pretty much hack the thing apart to get it out the door.

Like in that early Robin Williams demo you could add legs on legs on legs and come up with really weird things, and the game still found a way to make them walk and stuff. By the retail release that was all ridiculously restricted. They probably found tons of bugs and gave up on trying to fix them all, took too long.

Yeah the final game was closer to a watered down diablo and warcraft and pacman than it was Sim-anything. It was like a weird "10-games-in-one!" discount software product. A shame.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I just got a "Answer this survey about anno" but it's a million questions and really slow!

Come on guys, get your poo poo together. I'm not even half done and it's been at least twenty questions.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bhodi posted:

I just got a "Answer this survey about anno" but it's a million questions and really slow!

Come on guys, get your poo poo together. I'm not even half done and it's been at least twenty questions.

I'm the worst internet user. I never answer surveys or rate products on Amazon.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bhodi posted:

Wait a few days until the crush dies down. I'm doing my survey on Friday I'm sure it'll be faster.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Limesurvey is just a budget piece of poo poo survey platform, the performance is unlikely to improve with time, just do it when you have a chance it you're interested and be patient.

I'm working my way through it now and while it gives some interesting insights into what may come next, I'm also getting worrying flashbacks to C&C Tiberian Twilight, where EA also had a fan survey circulating around before development and the final product was a giant clusterfuck of every idea they presented mashed into a game. I sincerely hope the next ANNO game isn't a design by committee fiasco.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 18, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wow just like 5 minutes into the game and already I'm stuck in an unrecoverable state.
Looks like there's no save files anymore so I can't load a previous save... and I can't even delete my game and start over? Is my only option here really to delete my corporation and create a new one? Jeeze that sucks balls.

The game told me to build houses so I made a few, told me to make more so I made as many as I could, then it let me build a few more buildings.
So I slap down one of whatever they call the new warehouse depots and one of the biopolymer factories...
Except I have no power, so the biopolymer factory won't run. The tutorial lady informs me that I need to build some power.

But... windmills require 3 biopolymer. :suicide:

So I demolish a house hoping it'll refund me some materials... nope. I scramble around trying to find a way to buy a few spare biopolymer, if this was 2070 I could buy a shipment off the market or something... nope don't have access to the galactic market until I upgrade the space port and I don't see anything else. Literally nothing I can build right now, 0 biopolymer, totally hosed.

I mean part of that is on me for being careless for resources but is it really THAT easy to completely gently caress your save and have to recreate your corporation? That's really loving stupid. Why can't I just load a save file or restart this one settlement? Agggh.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You're only five minutes into the game. Just restart, you're not losing anything.

If you have to save that whole five minutes though, you can find boxes of biopolymers sitting on the ground on the various islands you can click on to bolster your supplies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It takes a while to notice and they never bother telling you, but if you pan around the map there'll be little crates scattered across it randomly with a blue glow around them, and they will give you a bunch of any one of the (up to 3) building materials that you have unlocked for that zone. Either that, or there's a trading island you will be able to buy BPs at - it's usually located near your spaceport.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
seriously though you're like two minutes into the game, most games haven't even autosaved by then and i certainly wouldn't, you're complaining about the dumbest thing possible

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I kinda miss the dimorphism of having two factions in the last game, but having several different building styles and linking them all together is really super cool.

Tundra and Moon look really exciting and are driving me to play the game enough to get to them and check out their building styles. And they've got orbit coming as DLC? perfect.

The UI for jumping between regions reminds me of The Sims.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You're only five minutes into the game. Just restart, you're not losing anything.

If you have to save that whole five minutes though, you can find boxes of biopolymers sitting on the ground on the various islands you can click on to bolster your supplies.

Yeah fair enough. Its just the principle of the thing, seems like a really obvious oversight. I'm already moving on though.

E: Game does look really great, UI is slick and everything seems to move faster and easier than 2070

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 18, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

There's also the trading post in the sector. You should be able to click on it and buy some biopolymers from the skeevy looking dude there. Each sector has one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Made it to arctic already (doesn't take much, which is good) and I'm loving the challenge it presents and how it really turns all your normal Anno building strategies on their head. Gotta redesign a new optimal housing arrangement. Tricky!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Don't forget, you can move everything where you might want it, best thing ever in an Anno game.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Lorini posted:

Don't forget, you can move everything where you might want it, best thing ever in an Anno game.

Hmmmm. How am I going to fit these houses I need to move for a security department...

Oh, okay, just whip the entire custom-interlocking structure of the fruit/sunflower/rice farms off to an empty stretch of road on another island. Plenty of space now! :gizz:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lorini posted:

Yeah that really is huge. No more 'oh gently caress I forgot to rotate this so now everything is mis-aligned and I either have to accept it looking ugly or demolish it and build another'

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

nnnnnnng i need 3 million so bad so I can move all my filthy agrarian industry to another island and off of Elysium

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

This game is so loving pretty:

Seriously, give me a few doodads for the arctic and lunar zones and I'd happy, the art design here is amazing. Also the DLC with the shiny new zones, want those too plz. I found Anno with 1404 and as good as Venice and Deep Ocean were, this is legit the first time I'm actually anticipating an Anno expansion.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
So has anyone worked out the most efficient layouts for the production buildings yet? I hate having one or two squares left unused in my factory areas.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Seriously, give me a few doodads for the arctic and lunar zones and I'd happy, the art design here is amazing. Also the DLC with the shiny new zones, want those too plz. I found Anno with 1404 and as good as Venice and Deep Ocean were, this is legit the first time I'm actually anticipating an Anno expansion.

I was jazzed for Deep Ocean but once it came out I barely played it. I'm super excited for Orbit DLC though :dance:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Orbit DLC is just a black hole that you shovel credits into.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Asciana posted:

So has anyone worked out the most efficient layouts for the production buildings yet? I hate having one or two squares left unused in my factory areas.
I pretty much just treat production buildings as the mortar between the bricks that are my housing and mountain/water slots. Everything gets crammed into whatever left over space there is without regard for grouping production or efficient layouts - the most efficient layout is whichever building can get all its modules into the space I have to fill.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Asciana posted:

You can, at any time, relocate any factory and then move its extra components around at will, so snaky-rear end poo poo jury-rigged to fill up as much of an odd corner as possible can be slapped into the open and straightened out into a more-regular layout at any time.

That said, generally if I've got a very large, open area that I've set aside for production I go with a Long Narrow Line setup, and as space starts to run short I play around with laying things out more efficiently. Vitamin Drink factories are good for filling up little remainder areas with their 2x2 juice presses, the expansions for flax plantations are tiny and thus are good for similar usage.

Also holy poo poo do these people wear the gently caress out of clothes. All of my luxury investor towers are always surrounded by massive silicon mines, because apparently investors wear their chip-filled smart clothes once and then throw them away.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It seems pretty accurate for a future where your jacket is an iphone.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

You can, at any time, relocate any factory and then move its extra components around at will, so snaky-rear end poo poo jury-rigged to fill up as much of an odd corner as possible can be slapped into the open and straightened out into a more-regular layout at any time.

That said, generally if I've got a very large, open area that I've set aside for production I go with a Long Narrow Line setup, and as space starts to run short I play around with laying things out more efficiently. Vitamin Drink factories are good for filling up little remainder areas with their 2x2 juice presses, the expansions for flax plantations are tiny and thus are good for similar usage.

Also holy poo poo do these people wear the gently caress out of clothes. All of my luxury investor towers are always surrounded by massive silicon mines, because apparently investors wear their chip-filled smart clothes once and then throw them away.

I started importing clothes from the world market after a while.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I imported those as well, because gently caress that poo poo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Clothes aren't so bad and give me something to do with my temperate mine slots. Replicators and Androids on the other hand can get hosed, importing that so goddamned hard.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I just refreshed my trade routes from last week and prices have gone up a little bit, but not nearly enough to stop importing the expensive stuff.

Why do these people keep voting for food? I want my free fusion generators, damnit!

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I don't recall, can you import energy from the world market? If not, it's doubly stupid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm really enjoying this game, its super fast to lay down bases and set up supply lines and stuff, and everything looks absolutely beautiful.

I'm starting to feel like my corporation is a game of Jenga or something though, I'm constantly adding a few more buildings here or there and then suddenly my supplies aren't enough so I have to build more of this building or that and then I need more power an then I need more housing and now I'm back in the red and draining funds.

I never know which region I should hop to, do I try to make more money in the temperate region to finance my arctic region running in the negative? Or do I try to work and make the arctic go back into the black?

Its how the game is designed to work and it definitely gives you a lot to do which is great, constantly growing and having to re-design your cities. But it also feels kinda stressful.

Past Anno games I feel like once a city was flourishing I would mostly leave it alone and go build on other islands and just set up trade routes, but with this one I feel like I've gotta go back and fiddle with everything. Especially with the building upgrades, although I really love those and I'm glad they have them. Requiring special resources for them is an interesting move.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

metasynthetic posted:

I don't recall, can you import energy from the world market? If not, it's doubly stupid.

Nope. That 3k extra energy from Walbruck is really nice, though, once you can stay 50k positive for the storyline quest it's gravy.

^^^ all my other regions are just to feed the mega-investor-super-complex my Elysium island. I'm in the process of moving all the dirty industry (rice, fruit, soy, wine and beef) to Veridian Coves. After that I'll move the hi tech industry to the third temperate region. I'm going for a mega city in one temperate region of just investors and entertainment/service buildings, with all the industry on the other two islands. My secondary goal is to remove myself from trading with the world market completely.

boar guy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 20, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Has anyone made it to a million people yet? I'm only at 300K, a long ways to go.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Incidentally, the game works great with the Steam controller, too. Played for like 2 hours from the couch yesterday, on the nice big TV :D Had to turn the subwoofer down for the Moon, though, it made the cats run around in circles

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
So I've played every Anno game, and I hated 2205. They gutted or removed pretty much everything that I enjoyed.

I've already uninstalled and gone back to Anno 2070 with A.R.R.C installed.

I beat the campaign in two sittings, now I'm not really sure what there is left to do. There isnt' random map seeds or freeplay or multiplayer or combat on your map or anything, so IDK. I was a glutton for punishment and LOVED figuring out building layouts that maximized efficiency and space usage, I'm going to miss that too.

Speaking of combat, the combat missions got incredibly repetitive really, really quickly. No community centers or concern for warehouse placement or supply chain management was annoying too. Or supply/demand instantly updating so there was no balance game involved. Upgrading existing buildings was nice but didn't make up for the loss of other mechanics. No depletable resources, no items or Licenses or research to do, no ARKs, no replayability at all.

I was TERRIBLY dissapointed in 2205, which sucks, because they fixed almost all their uplay issues which was the only reason 2070 was harpooned so bad.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

What difficulty did you play on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

There isnt' random map seeds or freeplay

This is the biggest flaw with 2205 IMO.

I'm still having fun though and looking forward to the DLC personally.

• Locked thread