Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Undertaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I believe going by sales numbers in Japan, Seven Deadly Sins is the new biggest thing.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1373137

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Terper posted:

I believe going by sales numbers in Japan, Seven Deadly Sins is the new biggest thing.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1373137

Yeah, but that's Weekly Shonen Magazine, same magazine as Fairy Tail and Hajime no Ippo.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'd say the WCW to Jump's WWF, but WCW doesn't exist anymore and I don't know what's up with wrestling nowadays.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Vengarr posted:

Just a heads-up that spoilers and pics are out earlier than normal, since Jump is releasing on Saturday this week.

Scans might not be out any quicker though, apparently a lot of the Chinese raw providers are freaked the gently caress out over the crackdown going on. Who can blame them, I'd hate to get disappeared over One Piece myself.

Are they really cracking down that hard? Ouch.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
A new shounen series about a boy on the run from the corrupt manga government for the crime of wanting to bring comics to ~the world~.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

What's the wrestling equivalent of a legacy manga like Kochikame that somehow keeps going on and on ad infinitum?

Kane

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

What's the wrestling equivalent of a legacy manga like Kochikame that somehow keeps going on and on ad infinitum?

Depends, if it's been consistenly decent to good, Undertaker, if its been decent to kinda bad, Kane. If it's had real peaks and valleys Hogan.

If it's been pretty good but looked like it's going to end forever a lot of times Terry Funk :v:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In this week's episode of Hero Academia, Handman reveals himself to our hero.

"Let's go grab some tea, bro."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I saw that.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This whole series has been escalating quickly when you think about it.

Not that I mind.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Cool development though.

It's always cool watching the students get to throw down but honestly if nothing really terrible happened with Stain it kinda sets the tone; I'm doubting anything really seriously bad will befall any of the students until All Might finally suffers his long-foreshadowed death. Can't have anyone stealing his thunder after all.

So having Shigaraki show up to have a chat with Midoriya is actually a way cooler thing to start off this arc than just having another group of mooks roll on the class right away. It's a bummer all the raw providers started getting busted NOW of all times.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bad Seafood posted:

This whole series has been escalating quickly when you think about it.

Not that I mind.

This series doesn't dawdle, and that's why I like it. The author spends only as much time as he needs on each thing before moving on. I have a feeling that he is conscious of the failings of other shonen comics in this respect--though he could stand to slow down just a bit. We actually do want to see more of how the other classmates overcame their challenges and so on.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mr. Fowl posted:

Are they really cracking down that hard? Ouch.

A number of people have been arrested, which can be somewhat intimidating in China. Fallen-Angels raw guy got arrested himself, which is why their trans was so late last week.

He's probably getting his organs harvested as we speak.

Scans when

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Vengarr posted:

A number of people have been arrested, which can be somewhat intimidating in China. Fallen-Angels raw guy got arrested himself, which is why their trans was so late last week.

He's probably getting his organs harvested as we speak.

Scans when

He'll turn up eventually.

In the Bodies exhibit.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Mr. Fowl posted:

He'll turn up eventually.

In the Bodies exhibit.

As someone who sold tickets to one of those, I am so tired of hearing that the cadavers were once Chinese criminals. They have Russian prison tattoos! If you're dumb enough to get prison tats for prisons you don't go to, you'll wake up cut to pieces and injected with plastics.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Mr. Fowl posted:

This series doesn't dawdle, and that's why I like it. The author spends only as much time as he needs on each thing before moving on. I have a feeling that he is conscious of the failings of other shonen comics in this respect--though he could stand to slow down just a bit. We actually do want to see more of how the other classmates overcame their challenges and so on.

The pacing of MHA is far-and-away its best quality. It's amazingly good at giving everyone the screentime they need and for things to take exactly as long as they need to. Reading a weekly shonen series has never felt so good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's funny that Shigaraki is creepier without the creepy hand on his face then with.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I can't wait to find out what's up with all the hands.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think we're established enough now that after whatever this upcoming arc is I'd kinda like it if he slowed down a bit.

This series has been consistently great so far but it really, really badly needs a series-defining arc. It needs an Enies Lobby/Chuunin Exam/Soul Society level arc- the kind that let series that end up sucking coast seemingly forever on good will alone. This whole thing where maybe 2-3 main story beats max get covered and the rest get side-paneled doesn't cut it for that purpose.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I guess Shigaraki misunderstood what was meant when AfO told him that he'd grow up to be a handy man for the Villian Alliance.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
His friends asked him if he needed a hand.

Shigaraki doesn't have friends.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Yeah, in no way was my post intended as a complaint. We're just so used to plodding pacing with drawn out fights that Kohei's surprisingly brisk storytelling is immediately striking.

Reminds me of Fist of the North Star in some ways. Now there was a comic dedicated to not wasting your time...well, until the timeskip anyway.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

I think we're established enough now that after whatever this upcoming arc is I'd kinda like it if he slowed down a bit.

This series has been consistently great so far but it really, really badly needs a series-defining arc. It needs an Enies Lobby/Chuunin Exam/Soul Society level arc- the kind that let series that end up sucking coast seemingly forever on good will alone. This whole thing where maybe 2-3 main story beats max get covered and the rest get side-paneled doesn't cut it for that purpose.

This series is still quite young. It does not need a really big arc yet. (Though I doubt I will mind it when it comes.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 19, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wanna get to the arc where the villain turns out to be Deku from 10 years in the future, who's gone back in time to try to prevent an even greater tragedy from occurring.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

DrSunshine posted:

I wanna get to the arc where the villain turns out to be Deku from 10 years in the future, who's gone back in time to try to prevent an even greater tragedy from occurring.

You mean the plot of Infamous?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Mraagvpeine posted:

You mean the plot of Infamous?

I am pretty sure I made this joke earlier in this thread.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How do electricity powers turn into teleporting and time travel anyway?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Enies Lobby was how many years into One Piece's run? It's still got some time before it needs an absolutely game-changing arc. And if it continues to be so consistently good, I doubt it'll ever have to have one.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

You turn yourself into electricity and go back in time through the Internet.

Sounds easy enough in theory.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Enies Lobby was how many years into One Piece's run? It's still got some time before it needs an absolutely game-changing arc. And if it continues to be so consistently good, I doubt it'll ever have to have one.

Yeah, we're on Chapter 62. One Piece was still in East Blue at that point. It was even before Arlong. They were still on the restaurant ship, fighting Don Kreig.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Arlong Park is honestly a better analogy

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
We might be getting a big moment like that, given the spoiler of Shigaraki going and confronting Deku directly apparently. I don't know how that's going to work out, but it seems like it should be fairly huge. Also a fairly nice turn from Shigaraki just hanging back and throwing a tantrum constantly. Might be the start of his "growth" that's been hinted at, and he must have some reason for doing it, particularly when, given the newfound popularity of the VA, you'd think he could just lie low and build up or something instead of initiating a "friendly" chat with the protagonist, who he hates a lot.

Even if that doesn't go anywhere, the larger VA should lead to trouble soon.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

We might be getting a big moment like that, given the spoiler of Shigaraki going and confronting Deku directly apparently. I don't know how that's going to work out, but it seems like it should be fairly huge. Also a fairly nice turn from Shigaraki just hanging back and throwing a tantrum constantly. Might be the start of his "growth" that's been hinted at, and he must have some reason for doing it, particularly when, given the newfound popularity of the VA, you'd think he could just lie low and build up or something instead of initiating a "friendly" chat with the protagonist, who he hates a lot.

Even if that doesn't go anywhere, the larger VA should lead to trouble soon.

Nah, Shigaraki is still very whiny.

http://i.imgur.com/21Mnvkf.png

The newbies are pretty whack. "I want to be like Mr. Stain! I want to kill Mr. Stain! So let me join the Villain Alliance, Tomura!" "I will inherit the Hero Killer's will."

http://i.imgur.com/sbVwmq3.png[
http://i.imgur.com/iu1cMqW.png[

He's not very happy that the two new guys are just interested in Stain. So he rages and walks out after Black Mist keeps him from killing them.

http://i.imgur.com/eLyMyhy.png

Also, everyone gets to go to camp!

http://i.imgur.com/ZJwswax.png

Everyone decides to go shopping (except Todoroki who's visiting his mom) and then split up at the mall. People recognize the group cause they're from UA. One dude in particular is pretty taken with Deku.

http://i.imgur.com/pdL1Api.png

Must be fate or somethin'.

http://i.imgur.com/kaUkITZ.png

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I count Arabasta as being a really drat good arc but Enies Lobby is kinda my standard for shounen arcs.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ah. Well, that's still rather interesting. Also, wow, I think that's the most menacing that we've seen Shigaraki be so far in the comic, even compared to things like his emerging from the portal that one time or when he was gunning for Tsuyu or anything. While nowhere near as fantastic, him looming over Deku and threatening him in a public place, no one else the wiser, is disturbing in a very real way.

Also, Black Mist breaking up the fight is pretty cool. I'm surprised at how fast they apparently came to blows, though. I mean, I guess that happened with Stain too, but still. I guess Shigaraki just brings that out in people; there really haven't been that many people who've met him who haven't tried to kill him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

Ah. Well, that's still rather interesting. Also, wow, I think that's the most menacing that we've seen Shigaraki be so far in the comic, even compared to things like his emerging from the portal that one time or when he was gunning for Tsuyu or anything. While nowhere near as fantastic, him looming over Deku and threatening him in a public place, no one else the wiser, is disturbing in a very real way.

Also, Black Mist breaking up the fight is pretty cool. I'm surprised at how fast they apparently came to blows, though. I mean, I guess that happened with Stain too, but still. I guess Shigaraki just brings that out in people; there really haven't been that many people who've met him who haven't tried to kill him.

Shigaraki is just a massive jerk to everyone I suppose. The two new kids were acting in defense; it's not like they attempted to attack Shigaraki first. And yeah, that fight scene is loving amazing, which is why I decided to post it.

I really really like how this series shows us how heroes and villains alike are born and grow. Well, less so on the villains being born (we've yet to actually get a grasp of Shigaraki's past) but we see how he's being molded to become the new face of evil, just like how All-Might wants Deku to replace him as the symbol for justice. We see how Stain's actions and ideals have repercussions on the whole community, with would-be villains and anarchists and whatnot all lining up to join the Villain Alliance as a result.

Generally, most shounens have all-powerful villains who start off way stronger than the heroes and have to chased after. Sure, Shigaraki is older than the students of UA and fast / strong enough to fight against (an admittedly weakened and tired) Aizawa, but he's full of flaws. Most of the scenes of Shigaraki are of him being foiled, either strategically (his attempts being foiled by the students, by All-Might, by Stain) or physically (by Stain).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mystic Mongol posted:

As someone who sold tickets to one of those, I am so tired of hearing that the cadavers were once Chinese criminals. They have Russian prison tattoos! If you're dumb enough to get prison tats for prisons you don't go to, you'll wake up cut to pieces and injected with plastics.

There are (or were?) two different exhibits competing with each other. One of them definitely did (and probably still does) source their bodies straight from the People's Republic of Selling Your Corpse to Foreigners. They didn't hide it at all.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

RatHat posted:

Someone saw Back to the Future, and went "He's basically made of 1.21 Gigawatts!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The /a/ translator guys beat FA and the rest to the punch again.

Highlights:

-The girl has killed numerous people via blood loss, and I guess is a vampire or blood controller or something to that effect. She is also batshit insane, and speaks with an unusual affect of some sort. Even Shigraki and the zombie guy comment that she appears to be mentally ill.

-Zombie guy says he will carry on the hero killer's will.

-Shigaraki attacks both of them out of annoyance because they're fans of Stain. Black Mist admonishes him for it.

-Another "logical ruse" from Aizawa. Iida does actually call him on his poo poo though.

-Everyone decides to go shopping. Bakugou bows out because he says it's too annoying, and Todoroki is going to visit his mom in the nuthouse.

-The general chatting among the students is just them trying to figure out what to get for the trip. Mineta is a pervert as usual.

-Uraraka remembers being asked if she likes Midoriya while talking with him about what to pick up. Not sure if it's some pun or whatever but she recalls this while in the middle of saying "insect repellant" and then loses her poo poo and runs off.

-Shigaraki rolls up on Midoriya talking like he's a fan; mentioning that he recognizes him from the Sports Festival and the news report in Hosu. After he throws his arm around him he says, "Ah, the last time we met was at the USJ invasion...". Then the stinger page is him saying something to the effect of "Ahh, this must be what they call destiny, or fate." "Wanna go grab a cup of tea, bro/bud?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wonder if the Lizard Guy who dressed up as Stain will show up as well.