Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SharkTattoos posted:

So I started a couple days ago. Got a couple million and a well fitted Cobra. Is this Robigo thing just go to robigo, take missions, profit or is there some catch I can't find anywhere?

Just tired of shooting in belts for the time being so don't really even care if it's going to take forever to make a bunch of cash or w/e.

Edit: yeah I guess the big thing is there a minimum cargo size or standing or something I need?

Keep logging out and in into different game modes to refresh mission board until you get lucky and see 4-5 mil mission and take it. Keep doing until you see another or a mission that needs you to go the same station as previously taken mission or 2 missions that go to the same station or another 4-5 mil mission. Keep doing until your hold is full than go deliver everything. You can also sell all the materials they gave you and take even more missions but I will not even go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
There's not really any requirement for Robigo apart from "don't be in a Large ship". Yes, it's just go out and get missions. Your trade rank and local reputation will affect the payout and variety of missions available (just like every other mission you've ever done), but "doing the missions" will raise both fairly quickly. The more cargo space you have the more missions you can take, but even a Cobra can get a fair 3-5 million credit payout out of the box; more if you don't mind lingering over your fuel scooping and get a 2A scoop; even more if you have balls of steel, go bare metal with no shields, and trust yourself to boost out of any interdictions and not slam into the side of a station somewhere. I would not recommend scrapping the shields until you've done at least one run and gotten used to the number of times you'll get jumped on your way back to habitable space, though.

Just be sure to set aside a block of time for these, as it takes a fair chunk of time to turn everything in, depending on how many missions you get that go to the same station.

e:

Sekenr posted:

You can also sell all the materials they gave you and take even more missions but I will not even go there.

I have made some effortposts about Robigo* in the other thread if you want to get crazy.

*which were written while dealing with Robigo dropoffs

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 19, 2015

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
A word on Robigo.

Be paranoid about star classes on your route, make very sure you get scoopable stars BEFORE you run out of fuel. If you hit half empty on your fuel tank, check your route again to make sure you hit a KGB FOAM.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I have made some effortposts about Robigo* in the other thread if you want to get crazy.

*which were written while dealing with Robigo dropoffs

Yes, I wanted to link to your much better explanation but couldn't find it.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Awesome thanks for the posts. Pretty fun game so far but I haven't used a joystick in 20 years so I fly like a complete Mister Magoo style rear end in a top hat everywhere I go.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Hahah, no poo poo, I logged out in that system in the current version. I wonder if I wait for 1.5 to drop, I will log back in and suddenly there will be a station.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
You're way the gently caress out there? Doing exploring I assume? I'm kinda planning on exploring when I get bored of shootymans and am space Romney.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Probably because that's where the new station that there have been 10~ CGs about building is going, I'd wager he's not the only person out there.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh right, I'm dumb

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
So I burned out on Robigo runs and found out about this one system, Arexe, that spawns a ton of combat missions to one of its neighbours, Orrere.

Hit Orrere's RES and finish 40 missions in one go. It's surprisingly good money (not on the level of Robigo, and Orrere being an Anarchy means no bounties) and probably the least boring way to rank up for the Federation.

Took me around 170 missions in total to go from Lieutenant to Lt. Commander.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Anyone play elite on Xbox one? I was thinking about picking it up, just curious how the population is (if it's same universe or separate)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally Kermit posted:

Hahah, no poo poo, I logged out in that system in the current version. I wonder if I wait for 1.5 to drop, I will log back in and suddenly there will be a station.

Built a station around a black hole gently caress with me

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

honestly it rubs me the wrong way no matter how they couch it, but otoh i've actually worked in video game qa so the idea of people making it even more exploitative where you need to pay for the honor of doing it feels somewhere between "tom sawyer" and "gently caress you"
I suppose we live in an era of "open betas" being used as glorified demos for marketing purposes, so I could expect a certain sense of entitlement from some people. But you seem to know what's up, so I can't figure out why the gently caress you're so offended by this. In short, your attitude here is incredibly weird to me. Just don't buy it, it's that loving simple. You get literally nothing out of it. No special treatment, no in game advantage... so what's the compulsion?

They've said repeatedly they don't want people who aren't into it playing the betas. That's one of the reasons there's a premium on it, so they don't get completely inundated with shitposting timewasters while they're trying to test things out (paraphrased). Opening up beta access would also dick over those who paid for it during their kickstarter, so they literally can't do anything in this situation without pissing someone off.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Foehammer007 posted:

Anyone play elite on Xbox one? I was thinking about picking it up, just curious how the population is (if it's same universe or separate)

From what I understand the XBox and PC games share the BGS, that is, market prices and Community Goals and Power Play and system ownership and stuff like that, but they do not share instances, so you will only ever see / play with other XBox people.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Chrysophylax posted:

So I burned out on Robigo runs and found out about this one system, Arexe, that spawns a ton of combat missions to one of its neighbours, Orrere.

Hit Orrere's RES and finish 40 missions in one go. It's surprisingly good money (not on the level of Robigo, and Orrere being an Anarchy means no bounties) and probably the least boring way to rank up for the Federation.

Oh shiiit I should head over there

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Thronde posted:

You're way the gently caress out there? Doing exploring I assume? I'm kinda planning on exploring when I get bored of shootymans and am space Romney.

AndroidHub posted:

Probably because that's where the new station that there have been 10~ CGs about building is going, I'd wager he's not the only person out there.

Actually, it's the former, and just coincidence that there'll be a new station there.

I met a player out there who was also in a DBE, except he was rated for distance, and I was A-ranked and sporting lasers and a shield :getin: but I hadn't the heart to end him. He was on the tail end of his trip, so we just posed for photo ops:

"sup?"

When suddenly:

"S-sempai?! :anime:"

Maia is one of the closer black holes to civ-space, and an all around neat system with lots of stars orbiting around, most can be scanned from where you jump in! The black hole is a haul from there, tho.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
New Horizons sneak peek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6DEbuVGtUw

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I need this in my life.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I get that this is all industrial facilities and realistic landscape but give me some space wonders to gawk at instead of shipping containers, Frontier!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Can't wait for CQC to be updated with "SRV Race" and "SRV Death Race" modes

Groggy nard posted:

check your route again to make sure you hit a KGB FOAM.

Glad someone else besides me uses the best main sequence star acronym
:hfive:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Sekenr posted:

I get that this is all industrial facilities and realistic landscape but give me some space wonders to gawk at instead of shipping containers, Frontier!

The shipping containers are for future FPS cover mechanics. Can't wait until we have characters who can hide behind crates.

leethasbro
Apr 11, 2005

Rat Enthusiast

Zaardvark posted:

From what I understand the XBox and PC games share the BGS, that is, market prices and Community Goals and Power Play and system ownership and stuff like that, but they do not share instances, so you will only ever see / play with other XBox people.

Xbox one player here chiming in to confirm that this is correct.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

If we get bobbleheads for our ships, will we get fuzzy dice or truck nuts for our SRVs?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Chrysophylax posted:

There are bounties, actually, but you'll have to fire up the KWS to activate any of them and to be honest they're not that great. Worth doing if you can finish the scan before the target dies, but otherwise :effort:. The only other problem with Arexe is that for the most part it seems to be just pirate killing missions. Some trader and smuggler ones pop up from time to time and even more rarely bounty hunters and nomads, but never enough to eclipse the pirate killing. Based on what others have posted about ranking up fast from super smuggler missions, I'm assuming that the higher the reward for a mission the more it impacts your rank, and missions that target civilians pay a lot more than those targeting pirates (and are easier to boot), so if someone could find a system like Arexe that mostly gives trader targets in a single neighboring system, that'd be the holy grail of this stuff.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, I just love my Imperial Courier. I finally A-graded the drat thing and added the packhound-missile launcher I wanted.

It's moving so smooth and fast!

And when 1.5 and 2.0 goes live, the new buff to reinforcement packages will give my special snowflake ship more HP than my Asp. :getin:

On the other hand, my FSD-range is now down to ~15 ly/jump and I have only 4t worth of cargo space left. Of course I still have a full set of scanners, being fully combat fit doesn't mean I can't make stops to explore things, after all. :v:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sard posted:

....so if someone could find a system like Arexe that mostly gives trader targets in a single neighboring system, that'd be the holy grail of this stuff.

Sothis did exactly this. mostly civilian contracts, all to the system next door.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Sothis did exactly this. mostly civilian contracts, all to the system next door.

Oh, well poo poo. Guess I should have listened to Xae and made the trip after all. Does it still do these?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Literally Kermit posted:

Actually, it's the former, and just coincidence that there'll be a new station there.

I met a player out there who was also in a DBE, except he was rated for distance, and I was A-ranked and sporting lasers and a shield :getin: but I hadn't the heart to end him. He was on the tail end of his trip, so we just posed for photo ops:

"sup?"

When suddenly:

"S-sempai?! :anime:"

Maia is one of the closer black holes to civ-space, and an all around neat system with lots of stars orbiting around, most can be scanned from where you jump in! The black hole is a haul from there, tho.

2 Questions, how do I enable the screen shot camera (what keybind do i need to set) and 2, was your DBE yellow from paint/sun/or is that how it comes? I want skins for DBS :(

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Thronde posted:

2 Questions, how do I enable the screen shot camera (what keybind do i need to set) and 2, was your DBE yellow from paint/sun/or is that how it comes? I want skins for DBS :(

The debug camera (i.e. the external camera) is toggled on / off with CTRL+ALT+Space. The camera controls are a bit stupid, you manoeuvre it the same way you'd steer the ship.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Zaardvark posted:

The debug camera (i.e. the external camera) is toggled on / off with CTRL+ALT+Space. The camera controls are a bit stupid, you manoeuvre it the same way you'd steer the ship.

That doesn't work for me at all. I haven't changed the defaults either.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

That doesn't work for me at all. I haven't changed the defaults either.

Go into your menu and scroll down the bindings until you find the camera, then just add whatever you want as a binding.

(In my case there also wasn't a default binding, fancy that.)

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Libluini posted:

Go into your menu and scroll down the bindings until you find the camera, then just add whatever you want as a binding.

(In my case there also wasn't a default binding, fancy that.)

The only camera listing I see is "classified camera" and neither the default nor the keybind I switched it to worked.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

The only camera listing I see is "classified camera" and neither the default nor the keybind I switched it to worked.

That's the right one. You can only use it while flying in normal space, not while supercruising or while docked.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

That's the right one. You can only use it while flying in normal space, not while supercruising or while docked.

That is incorrect.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That is incorrect.

Then I guess my game hates me, because even having it bound as a keyboard binding (instead of a controller one) prevents me from using it in either of those situations :shrug:

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
Does anyone have any strong opinions about the FAS? I'm thinking of stepping up to one from my vulture and I didn't see anything about them in the PGS thread OP. I'm a little concerned about the weapon firing arcs since I've been spoiled with large gimbaled pulse lasers on the vulture for a few weeks.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Derakarsis posted:

Does anyone have any strong opinions about the FAS? I'm thinking of stepping up to one from my vulture and I didn't see anything about them in the PGS thread OP. I'm a little concerned about the weapon firing arcs since I've been spoiled with large gimbaled pulse lasers on the vulture for a few weeks.

The FAS is a very good ship that can run almost any setup with power to spare. Two large plasma and two medium multicannons works well for RES farming but you should probably do something involving lasers for CZs.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Derakarsis posted:

It's less agile than the vulture, but not as much as the game would indicate, like the clipper it's fairly easy to get it under that magic 720 tons which gives it maximum agility. It's also got a much beefier powerplant, meaning you have a lot more room to play with.

It's shields are complete and utter poo poo though, but that will probably become less of a problem in 1.5 because you'll be able to beef the hull up to compensate.

And it's faster than the vulture.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Sard posted:

Based on what others have posted about ranking up fast from super smuggler missions, I'm assuming that the higher the reward for a mission the more it impacts your rank, and missions that target civilians pay a lot more than those targeting pirates (and are easier to boot), so if someone could find a system like Arexe that mostly gives trader targets in a single neighboring system, that'd be the holy grail of this stuff.

The problem I have with that is the fact that you can complete like 10 pirate missions (including the time it takes to reroll that many) in the time it takes for you to complete a single assassination one, especially if the target is uncooperative in showing up; I seriously doubt that assassination missions have 10x the impact. Not saying you're wrong tho, I think you're absolutely right, but like donation missions before this, the time you spend doing this is, I believe, lower than the alternative.

Reddit has found the Empire equivalent of Arexe, HIP 7916 which spawns combat missions to the system HR 466. Unlike Arexe tho, there's only a single Empire faction, so it'll make rerolling more tedious. Keep an eye on this thread as they may suggest more systems.

Edit: I misread a word somehow

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Chrysophylax posted:

The problem I have with that is the fact that you can complete like 10 pirate missions (including the time it takes to reroll that many) in the time it takes for you to complete a single assassination one, especially if the target is uncooperative in showing up; I seriously doubt that assassination missions have 10x the impact. Not saying you're wrong tho, I think you're absolutely right, but like donation missions before this, the time you spend doing this is, I believe, lower than the alternative.

He isn't talking about assasination missions he's talking about missions that have you go kill X number of "traders" or some such.

However, I'd still say that the "go kill pirates" variation of that mission is the best, mainly because pirates are the most abundant of all the target types.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 20, 2015

• Locked thread