Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm collecting little quality-of-life stuff from random mods that people use cleverly in various mod packs so I can give them a mention in BFSR. While playing Blightfall, I found out about a few things, read up on some others, and have some base ones that I could not really mention on their own.

1. MFR plastic bags, which would be a really simple early-game way to expand your inventory. It takes the pressure off setting up your permanent base right away somewhere.
2. Jerky making and berries from Natura, which take some of the edge off in Spice Of Life stuff in the early game.
3. The Last Millennium and the Deep Dark.
4. Autonomous Activators and clever uses for them.
5. MFR fisher because it accumulates so much bizarre extra stuff.
6. MFR Liquidcrafter for early batch process of liquid-based stuff (cheese, butter, dough).
7. The Tinker's Construct crossbow seems better than the old-style bows in every way.
8. Bloodwood trees for "wooden steel," fireproof wood, and respectable bow.
9. Artifice armor enhancements.
10. SDX if you need to blast out a hard material and don't have the tool for it.
11. The builder's wand, since I'm already dealing with the division-by-diamond.

I also figure it's about time I read up on the Tinkers Construct armor. Has that finally matured? I just installed the latest stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

6. MFR Liquidcrafter for early batch process of liquid-based stuff (cheese, butter, dough).

The cyclic assembler can also batch-process liquid based stuff, but it does take (a pittance of) power. The MFR liquicrafter requires a redstone clock to operate, which makes it a bit irritating if you don't have botania bootstrapped.

Regrowth turned me on to Similsax Transtructors which manages to accomplish both having a goofy as gently caress name and be really handy for building stuff. You hold one of the transtructors and hover over a block, and depending on what part of the block you're hovering on, an arrow will appear. Right click to place a block in that direction of the same type as the one you're looking at. Right click again to extend the stack, and so on. It's great for building bridges and walls.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

The cyclic assembler can also batch-process liquid based stuff, but it does take (a pittance of) power. The MFR liquicrafter requires a redstone clock to operate, which makes it a bit irritating if you don't have botania bootstrapped.

Regrowth turned me on to Similsax Transtructors which manages to accomplish both having a goofy as gently caress name and be really handy for building stuff. You hold one of the transtructors and hover over a block, and depending on what part of the block you're hovering on, an arrow will appear. Right click to place a block in that direction of the same type as the one you're looking at. Right click again to extend the stack, and so on. It's great for building bridges and walls.

I'll probably end up mentioning both, but the liquicrafter is novel for when you don't really have power generation even going on yet. Then again, nobody's usually making 64 blocks of butter without a powered rancher anyways. I have to see if anything I have in BFSR make clocks easier, or if I will have to explain redstone shenanigans. I didn't know about the transtructor. I will doodle with that, but it looks like I'll have to just try to find out the recipes. The Curse page does not show it, and that's all that comes up in a Google search for the mod. That seems pretty odd so I must have screwed up something.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I didn't know about the transtructor. I will doodle with that, but it looks like I'll have to just try to find out the recipes. The Curse page does not show it, and that's all that comes up in a Google search for the mod. That seems pretty odd so I must have screwed up something.

It's an ender pearl, 4 iron, and a stick.

There's a second version with diamonds instead of the iron (it just has better durability.)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
TiCon armor is really cool but not terribly deep. There's a set of modifiable armor but you can't make it out of various and sundry materials, just set recipes, and each piece has like 2-3 modifiers and there's not a ton of reason to not just put every modifier on every piece of armor, barring the boots (they have a modifier for water walking and a modifier that's basically lead boots).

E: The big thing TiCon armor is good for is that it gives you really early access to step assist with the boots. Not having to jump up one block inclines is really, really nice and the earlier you can get it, the better.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 20, 2015

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'll probably end up mentioning both, but the liquicrafter is novel for when you don't really have power generation even going on yet. Then again, nobody's usually making 64 blocks of butter without a powered rancher anyways. I have to see if anything I have in BFSR make clocks easier, or if I will have to explain redstone shenanigans.

I use liquicrafters even after I've got a reactor or whatever up. Not having to run power to where you want to make stuff is super useful, and if it's making a stack or less I usually just hook it up to a lever. If you have Extra Utilities it has a clock that pulses every half second or so and is usually good enough for Pam's salt and fresh water crafting or whatever other long-term poo poo you have going.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

The alternate recipes for torches are good. MFR rubber plus sticks if you're short on coal, and TiCons stone rods and coal if you're deep underground.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If you have ProjectE the diving rods are insane and cheap. They let you find diamonds or other ores without mining in gigantic patches of land, and then you can 100% guaranteed mine to them.

Dolly from JABBA is really good early. Lets you move stuff around. One of the fastest ways to get a quarry up is to fill 3-4 barrels with charcoal from an mfr farm, and then quarry something out with two electrum tier servos on a chest, one going to a series of chests (TE's strongboxes preferred) to store the ores and stuff, and another going to a series of barrels leading into a nullifier. Or just a nullifier. The dolly comes in because it lets you move the barrels later on. You can put a chest or barrel onto a dolly then put a dolly in a TE strongbox to not be encumbered.

Tinker's Construct has some armor pieces now that are pretty nice due to their utility.

The hang glider from that one mod is pretty good and relatively cheap.

Mekanism's Jetpack is actually really good and relatively cheap. The armor actually works on it now too and gives you pretty crazy armor for the relative early game when you can make it. I don't know if that's worth mentioning in BFSR, but it's worth mentioning in this thread because I think it's something that experienced players often overlook.

Tinker's Construct stone tool rods made out of cobble stone can be used to easily make ladders/torches in the early game.

Stone hammer head with diamond enchant is pretty much an endgame hammer. Early on you can use stone, later on you can use ardite with a stone head. Just use ardite/cobalt for your single mining pick head for cobalt/ardite mining.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 20, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Early game, bone is by far the best tool handle and is relatively cheap. Tcon books do a poor job explaining which component adds to what, how handle multiplies durability but binding / plates is a flat add, and mining is only the head of the tool. Moss is amazing. Slimy mod is not mossy. Definitely talk about ways to automate the smeltey with fluiducts that can handle heat with an always on servo leading to a casting table with an ingot cast and a hopper underneath to suck it into a chest and also a hopper going into the controller. It's a simple but non obvious setup that saves a ton of time.

Maybe list some non obvious things that everyone does, like putting a chest next to the second crafting table with legs to have it open up next to it, but only stock minecraft chests. The idea to have that be mats you build with and separate mats into chests by mod or some other organizational method rather than a giant dumping ground. Automation and pipes are a big one that's missing. Maybe sorting pipes? I've never bothered.

golden bag of holding I think you already have a quest for. I am a massive fan of faster travel. Elevators and building your base vertically as well as horizontally. The better enchantment options offered by various mods. Thaumcraft could use some serious handholding.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Khorne posted:

If you have ProjectE the diving rods are insane and cheap. They let you find diamonds or other ores without mining in gigantic patches of land, and then you can 100% guaranteed mine to them.
I don't have ProjectE in the pack since I think that takes everything in a different direction, but worth knowing. I've wanted something like that.

quote:

Lets you move stuff around. One of the fastest ways to get a quarry up is to fill 3-4 barrels with charcoal from an mfr farm, and then quarry something out with two electrum tier servos on a chest, ...
I lost something here. What does the charcoal have to do with anything? What is the charcoal feeding? Progressive Automation?

quote:

The hang glider from that one mod is pretty good and relatively cheap.

Mekanism's Jetpack is actually really good and relatively cheap. The armor actually works on it now too and gives you pretty crazy armor for the relative early game when you can make it. I don't know if that's worth mentioning in BFSR, but it's worth mentioning in this thread because I think it's something that experienced players often overlook.
OK I'm adding both because I miss both the hang glider and the jetpack personally.

quote:

Stone hammer head with diamond enchant is pretty much an endgame hammer. Early on you can use stone, later on you can use ardite with a stone head. Just use ardite/cobalt for your single mining pick head for cobalt/ardite mining.

The hammer is already mentioned in reasonable detail. In BFSR, that's all one really needs to complete the fundamental quest due to the ore abundance, but it's good to have all the normal mining toys so people get used to them.

Bhodi posted:

Early game, bone is by far the best tool handle and is relatively cheap (etc).
This will probably go in eventually but not right now. I feel like I should do a shout-out to Iguana Tweaks, but I'm not sure what exactly I want to do yet. I'm thinking maybe it would be like Blightfall where people just get more modifiers as the XP goes up. I also would probably give more starting TNT so people don't pound their heads into the desk trying to dig a safe place before the first night.

Heffer posted:

The alternate recipes for torches are good. MFR rubber plus sticks if you're short on coal, and TiCons stone rods and coal if you're deep underground.
I forget about this so I'm putting them in.

Glory of Arioch posted:

It's an ender pearl, 4 iron, and a stick.

There's a second version with diamonds instead of the iron (it just has better durability.)
Oh gees that's so much better than divide by diamond for something that should be pretty accessible.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
An important Ticon Armor thing to know is to make a glove and load it with your spare redstone, it will make all your tool swings be faster.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, darksteel stuff from Ender IO is good stuff, I've never touched it before, but with a couple upgrades the chestpiece has a built in glider, togglable with a key (much more convenient than the OpenBlocks one), has diamond level armor and has 75% of durability damage subtracted from power instead, eventually 100%. Haven't gotten enough stuff to build the other pieces but if they're all this good that's pretty awesome - rechargable armor is great compared to the pain in the rear end it is to repair vanilla armor.

Bhodi posted:

This was a neat idea that I considered doing, but the main problem for me was that mobs will not spawn inside cubes, period. So there's no way to make a mob spawner without a chunkloader, and both mob spawners and the miner being loaded while you're tooling around in the base is really necessary. Otherwise, I'd have definitely gone that route! In fact, it'd be a neat idea, a map where you can ONLY go that route. A sort of inception style map pack with no overmap at all, where you spend 99% of your time inside cubes.

I've used the progressive automation miner some, but when I give it my leveled up pickaxe it mines out literally 3000+ blocks in minutes so I haven't really needed to actually leave it running. As far as mob spawners go I only really seem to need ender pearls and endermen traps never work well for me without much more advanced tech than I have to either instant kill them or block their teleportation. So I haven't really had much need for a mob farm, i get lots of zombie flesh for leather just doing anything outside my base.

The only thing I'm iffy about not working with a compact-cube base is an egg/feather farm - I bought a chicken egg, but I recall someone at some point mentioned a gamebreaking bug with vacuum hoppers in cubes, so I dropped him in a hole outside the cube with a vacuum hopper and a chest and have gotten a grand total of zero eggs/feathers. I've been outside enough that I would have thought he'd at least drop one, but apparently not.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 20, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh gees that's so much better than divide by diamond for something that should be pretty accessible.

To be fair, the similsax transtructors aren't quite as fast or as good as the Builder's Wand, but they are pretty handy.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Speaking of Tinkers Construct, does anyone know what all the Thermal Expansion material modifiers do? Like, Dense or Fancy. IIRC Heavy- the one attached to lead- makes you move slower, but that's all I know.

As for vanilla Tcon, in case anyone didn't know already, the two Slimy modifiers cause slimes to rarely spawn when you mine out a block, and the Tasty modifier drops bacon occasionally if you kill a mob with that tool/weapon. Tasty is actually kindof useful if you're in a survival modpack since it gives you free food. Slimy is generally just an annoyance since the spawned slimes are always tiny and thus aren't a good source of slimeballs.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 20, 2015

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

As far as I know, dense and fancy don't do anything. One use for slimy is to turn blue slime into green slime, which is hard to do any other way.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Wolfsbane posted:

As far as I know, dense and fancy don't do anything. One use for slimy is to turn blue slime into green slime, which is hard to do any other way.
That's a neat trick that I could have used; how do you do this? 4 into a block, place and break?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Wolfsbane posted:

MFR Unifier should do this just fine, I think?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Any good, recent HQM mods on the Technic launcher, apart from Blightfall? I've been functionally computerless for a bit (although have continued shitposting by other means), dunno if any good ones have come out recently

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Bhodi posted:

That's a neat trick that I could have used; how do you do this? 4 into a block, place and break?

No, make a slimy tool with a blue slime component, then when you use it it will occasionally spawn green slimes. I used it in the previous version of Blightfall, then completely forgot about it for this one :doh:

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Any good, recent HQM mods on the Technic launcher, apart from Blightfall? I've been functionally computerless for a bit (although have continued shitposting by other means), dunno if any good ones have come out recently

HQM mods generally come out on the FTB launcher, for some reason.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolfsbane posted:

No, make a slimy tool with a blue slime component, then when you use it it will occasionally spawn green slimes. I used it in the previous version of Blightfall, then completely forgot about it for this one :doh:

...but blue slime component Slimy spawns blue slimes.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Well, crap. I guess that explains why I didn't do it in the current version of Blightfall then.

On a totally unrelated note, does anyone have any suggestions on finding green slimes in Blightfall?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Wolfsbane posted:

Well, crap. I guess that explains why I didn't do it in the current version of Blightfall then.

On a totally unrelated note, does anyone have any suggestions on finding green slimes in Blightfall?

Get cactus, then convert it to slimeballs using Botania's Alchemy Catalyst.

Alternatively, spam sapling bag requisitions until you get a slimy sapling.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Wolfsbane posted:

Once you get a single slimeball you can clone it forever using thaumcraft (research the Alchemical Duplication node), or you can use botania to turn it into a cactus, and then grow infinite cactus which you can turn back into slimeballs. If you don't want to play sapling roulette, there's a green slimeball to start your cloning in a dockside crate on the north end of the floating city island, on the far east side of the map.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Can somebody share the magic of storage drawers? I'm not sure I get it. Is it really that much faster to click on icons of your items in the world rather than rummage chests? Is the drawer controller just an importing device? What was this I heard about eventually connecting an AE2 storage bus to it?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is it really that much faster to click on icons of your items in the world rather than rummage chests?
You don't have to enter and exit a GUI, so yeah. It's basically slower AE that only requires wood. Also it makes for a great display, and it takes to automation really well thanks to...

quote:

Is the drawer controller just an importing device? What was this I heard about eventually connecting an AE2 storage bus to it?
This is where it gets crazy: that drawer controller acts as an interface for all connected drawers in range (or in range of the demi-controller things slaved to it). It has no GUI, but you can pull and push items using pipes. It's pretty flexible and easy to expand. As for AE automation, just stick a storage BUS on it and your ME network will automatically account for everything in your drawer network.

Oh, and that goes for compacting drawers too. Which are awesome for storing metal.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Can somebody share the magic of storage drawers? I'm not sure I get it. Is it really that much faster to click on icons of your items in the world rather than rummage chests? Is the drawer controller just an importing device? What was this I heard about eventually connecting an AE2 storage bus to it?

If you have buildcraft, compacting drawers become instant autocrafters. Pipe in coal using vanilla hoppers, withdraw coal blocks using Emerald (white list) extraction pipes. Every other auto crafter has a power cost and/or time delay, but those compacting drawers are instant and free.

Besides that, yeah it's a big wall of icons, but so is a chest.

Drawers are like a giant 3D chest you build in your base. But they are much better: with drawers your items never change position, you can upgrade them to hold a bajillion stacks each, show their relative fullness and void excess automatically. Also you can dump your whole inventory (keeping your tools) by right-clicking the controller as you run past.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I lost something here. What does the charcoal have to do with anything? What is the charcoal feeding? Progressive Automation?
I usually use it to power steam dynamos with an aqueous accumulator. And the 2nd tier power augments so they put out enough rf.

I suppose the other way to do it is just to use big reactors right away at the quarry site. Depends on the mod pack and how Big Reactors recipes are setup.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!
Has anyone actually made an ME network in regrowth. The first time through I noticed the charger required mekanism and went "meh" and kept my drawers and massive chests.

This time I wanted to go for ME, but god drat that is some hosed up bullshit. Each calculation processor requires a quartz chipset and a certus electron tube from a thermionic fabricator.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Nope. Got frustrated at all the gating and decided I really didn't like mekanism and quit.

Tonight in obscurity I discovered AE isn't gated behind ender io at all, it's gated behind the cube exploration quests on the left branch. All I had to do was find the ocean cube after hell and build a trading post! While the "build a crafting terminal" quest is behind endgame ender io in the foundry line, they give you inscribers for finding the cube and the presses inside and that's all you really need. Other than some SDX to help mine the meteor.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Happy Big Fun posted:

Has anyone actually made an ME network in regrowth. The first time through I noticed the charger required mekanism and went "meh" and kept my drawers and massive chests.

This time I wanted to go for ME, but god drat that is some hosed up bullshit. Each calculation processor requires a quartz chipset and a certus electron tube from a thermionic fabricator.

I haven't, though I technically could -- I have a full Mekanism stack, power, and plenty of certus quartz.

I was holding out for AE quests, but I am starting to think there aren't any.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!

Glory of Arioch posted:

I was holding out for AE quests, but I am starting to think there aren't any.

Correct, there are zero AE quests outside of certus seeds.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This might give you an idea

Basically just right click the arrow looking block in the center and all the items stored on that wall would be instantly pulled from your inventory. Makes coming back from a mining trip easy.

I wish it had an option to store Metallurgy metals as dusts instead of nuggets, but I guess ~balance~

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Happy Big Fun posted:

Correct, there are zero AE quests outside of certus seeds.

alright then

NEED MORE LASERS

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The storage drawer controller also supports dumping into JABBA barrels.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!

Glory of Arioch posted:

alright then

NEED MORE LASERS

This is awesome. Curious to see if AE will end up being worth the effort.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So is there a way to make the smeltery handle multiple casting stations without ending up with a bunch of half-filled ones at the end you need to move around with pumps?

I've tried fluiducts, channels, whatever. drat you AgSkies!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

So is there a way to make the smeltery handle multiple casting stations without ending up with a bunch of half-filled ones at the end you need to move around with pumps?

Fluiducts should work. Just have each pump any excess into the next one, leave the last one not pumping anywhere. Have something taking items out of every one of them.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

You can pull from every face of the drain, and put the stuff into Barrels so you can then use comparators to only dump out the barrel when there is at least 9 ingots in the barrel, its also easy if you use computercraft.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

TheresaJayne posted:

You can pull from every face of the drain, and put the stuff into Barrels so you can then use comparators to only dump out the barrel when there is at least 9 ingots in the barrel, its also easy if you use computercraft.

Wait, do barrels hold liquid? Or do you mean drums?

McFrugal posted:

Fluiducts should work. Just have each pump any excess into the next one, leave the last one not pumping anywhere. Have something taking items out of every one of them.

Yeah, I've done that before with a chain of fluiducts and servos I turn on at the end, but it's just a pain in the rear end. Was hoping I missed something less finicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Wait, do barrels hold liquid? Or do you mean drums?

Yeah, I've done that before with a chain of fluiducts and servos I turn on at the end, but it's just a pain in the rear end. Was hoping I missed something less finicky.

yeah sorry i meant drums and tanks