Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Power is out at work. Forgot my phone at home before I left, so I missed the email from my boss, got there to an empty parking lot and a coworker sitting in his car letting arrivals know the power is out. Working from home :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I got Fallout 4, and my Dell M4600 surprisingly handles it pretty well. :unsmith:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bajaha posted:

Power is out at work. Forgot my phone at home before I left, so I missed the email from my boss, got there to an empty parking lot and a coworker sitting in his car letting arrivals know the power is out. Working from home :toot:

You mean "working" from home, right?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That's why I'm on here :wink:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Sudden small oil leak on the SRT-4 and it smells like burning oil too. I guess it's finally time for this 160k mile car to start acting like it isn't new. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Also I need to buy some new snow tires for my car very soon. Hooray for a tirerack wholesale account. General altimax are the go-to, right?

I've bought two sets of studded Altimax Arctics now, and I'm not sure I'll ever go back. Absolutely worth checking the little box off at checkout.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've bought two sets of studded Altimax Arctics now, and I'm not sure I'll ever go back. Absolutely worth checking the little box off at checkout.

Even when not studded they are amazing. On my LGT they were nigh unstoppable. Similar performance on a drat 08 honda fit, in 3+ inches of snow it would just dig itself out. I just had a set put on my odyssey. Bring on the snow. :getin:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I used altimax artics on a mustang in a buffalo winter a few years back, didn't even need any weight in the trunk.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Buy the cheapest chinesium winter tires you can find and put studs in them. Then rest easy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Muscles that hurt when breathing last night are now just normal 'post-workout' sore this morning, so yay.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Buy the cheapest chinesium winter tires you can find and put studs in them. Then rest easy.

I'm tempted to kit out the Civic with the $44 13" Chinesium winters they have at Walmart and hand them to my tire guy, but he charges $100 to outfit them with ice-racing studs. :(

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm tempted to kit out the Civic with the $44 13" Chinesium winters they have at Walmart and hand them to my tire guy, but he charges $100 to outfit them with ice-racing studs. :(

Just go to ice racing for fun. It's too much effort jacking up the car and putting racing studs on at the event.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Locator posted:

Muscles that hurt when breathing last night are now just normal 'post-workout' sore this morning, so yay.

Sounds like its time to up your reps.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sudden small oil leak on the SRT-4 and it smells like burning oil too. I guess it's finally time for this 160k mile car to start acting like it isn't new. :v:

Just took a quick look while in the parking lot at work. Probably the rear main seal. drat.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Got calls today from two seperate fiber optics fusion splicing companies that wanna set up interviews with me. Super pumped about that.

Taking my 30 minute lunch break at my house right now since my next job is a 1/4 mile from here. On the downside I still gotta drive back to the shop afterwards to get my car to drive home.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What happened to your car?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I think hes driving a company van.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Having a shop remove mud flaps is probably against some policy somewhere.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Got calls today from two seperate fiber optics fusion splicing companies that wanna set up interviews with me. Super pumped about that.

There's some insane money in that. Someone that's been in the field awhile can bring home high 5/low 6 figures.

Enough to buy splash guards and mud flaps for every car in the US!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
HEY SAG YOU SPLASHED PEOPLE WHEN YOU WERE DRIVING ONCE DO YOU REMEMBER

WE HAVE TO KEEP REMINDING YOU

HUMOR

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well someone replaced the avatar I bought to remind him. :colbert:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

The Locator posted:

No pain no gain

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Cage posted:

HUMOR

Hey for once he's not being a dick or actively bitching about loving his own life. Good on you SAC.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fo3 posted:

Going to play some old game, thinking about vietcong or something, while listening to the grey album mentioned earlier. :toot: happy birthday.
Hey AI, I'm your dumb drunk, poor uncle or something :v:
Yes I had one of them, who was useless, always rented, and most of the time died early enough I barely remember them. I have become one.

Happy birthday uncle Fo3!

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

1500quidporsche posted:

I had some sort of WingDong Tires with the same pattern as altimax. They were horrible. The compound is so hard they never wear out, but at the same time they don't grip cold pavement. I ended up fishtailing all over the highway on dry 5 degree pavement.

Only thing chinesium tires are good for is selling your car with "100 % Tread Winter Tires".

0/10 would not buy again.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cage posted:

HUMOR

This but unironically.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh man if everything goes well we might have a phone line physically connected to the house before Christmas.

gently caress knows how long between that and getting loving INTERNET IN THIS loving GODDAMN THIRD WORLD COUNTRY.

I've had nothing other than mobile data some August 8th, can't even tether and now my mobile provider is trying to gently push me to another tariff, 16gb a month will do that I suppose.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 19, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

blindjoe posted:

I had some sort of WingDong Tires with the same pattern as altimax. They were horrible. The compound is so hard they never wear out, but at the same time they don't grip cold pavement. I ended up fishtailing all over the highway on dry 5 degree pavement.

That's funny because my issue with my chinesiums is that they're too soft and basically melt like an eraser. They're never going to be the best but I go on gravel roads in winter on a regular basis and they've never let me down, if you're using studded tires that's likely going to be 90% of your stopping power anyways.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cakefool posted:

Oh man if everything goes well we might have a phone line physically connected to the house before Christmas.

gently caress knows how long between that and getting loving INTERNET IN THIS loving GODDAMN THIRD WORLD COUNTRY.

I've had nothing other than mobile data some August 8th, can't even tether and now my mobile provider is trying to gently push me to another tariff, 16gb a month will do that I suppose.

I moved house halfway through September and had a line within 3 weeks. What's the deal here?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Threw an SSD in my old Thinkpad T410 yesterday and put Win 8.1 on it because hey, once I turn all the charms poo poo off and put a real start menu back it's not too bad. I've just spent the last 3 hours trying to install Lenovo's crappy function key drivers so I can turn Wifi and Bluetooth on and off. The solution, naturally, is to install a version a year out of date in Win 7 compatability mode. :shepicide:

When this thing dies I'm buying a Mac.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

88h88 posted:

I moved house halfway through September and had a line within 3 weeks. What's the deal here?

Brand new house, the build isn't connected to the exchange, something is hosed up somewhere and I suspect the local exchange may be at or near capacity. Also openreach won't give technical explanations so I get treated like an idiot on the phone when I ask what's taking so long, why the delay, is there a plan or schedule to put it right.

I straight up asked if there was capacity issues and was told "that's technical and you wouldn't understand" yeah thanks, are there enough connections in the local exchange, is it at a bandwidth limit, are we even connected to the local exchange yet. Simple enough.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

I'm on the fence about studs. On one hand the roads stay pretty clear in town most of the winter and it's an extra $60, on the other they would be really nice for driving to the ski hill and stuff.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yeah I have a company van. With mudflaps too! I have been loving around with fiber optics for the past 5 years so I know a lot about it already. In fact, I worked on the same job as one of the companies a few years ago doing fusion splices at the houses while this company did all the backbone splicing. They do require a DOT physical to get the job so another weed break is in the works on Monday.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Brand new house, the build isn't connected to the exchange, something is hosed up somewhere and I suspect the local exchange may be at or near capacity. Also openreach won't give technical explanations so I get treated like an idiot on the phone when I ask what's taking so long, why the delay, is there a plan or schedule to put it right.

I straight up asked if there was capacity issues and was told "that's technical and you wouldn't understand" yeah thanks, are there enough connections in the local exchange, is it at a bandwidth limit, are we even connected to the local exchange yet. Simple enough.
I know a guy who works for Openreach, worth me seeing if he has access to any information from inside?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

jamal posted:

I'm on the fence about studs. On one hand the roads stay pretty clear in town most of the winter and it's an extra $60, on the other they would be really nice for driving to the ski hill and stuff.

The fact that they make my car sound like a TIE fighter and only cost an extra $60 seals the deal for me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I know a guy who works for Openreach, worth me seeing if he has access to any information from inside?

PM sent.

(Wood)Router ordered, BOM drawn up, going to make some crappy bookshelves, poo poo up the DIY forum and free up some garage space all at once.

We just watched Tokyo drift, magical 4K telly made it look beautiful, I can't wait to binge on 4k YouTube's.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

Welcome to dealing with BT. New buildings are horrible to get connected. If they have to cross a road or someone else's property to get to your house it's gonna take them longer than Christmas. If they have to dig anything then add a few more months.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't even care that he's Christian or whatever. Dude's an rear end in a top hat, pure and simple. Putting any other label on him is just disrespectful to anyone else who happens to share that label.

This is a valid point, and I agree. Trouble is he claims to be Christian (and apparently Baptist at that) and a lot of people are going to make the assumption that all or at least a significant portion believe as he does, just like a lot of people seem to assume that all Muslims are homicidal exploding maniacs. Those of us with brains know better, but that ain't the majority.

Cage posted:

I've been looking at tires for my winter vehicle. I don't really need any, but the ones I got a year ago are used and they're noisy as hell. This always happens on payday, I look for stuff to buy that I really don't need.

Though I do have a kind of good reason to look: These tires are slightly undersized but I needed them in a hurry. But then I say to myself "well if youre buying new tires you should just go for some oversized bro ones" and then suddenly I'm looking at a $600+ dollar purchase.

I think I'm ok with the tires I have.

I live in TX. My winter tires have been on the car the whole year. :smug:

some texas redneck posted:

Kerbey Lane Cafe. Order the Kerbey Queso.

There's 4 or 5 locations around Austin. The original on Kerbey is the best, of course.

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema is good for drinks and movies, though they've been spreading like wildfire. They started in Houston or Austin, I think?

San Antonio. (hint: look at the name.)

jammyozzy posted:

Threw an SSD in my old Thinkpad T410 yesterday and put Win 8.1 on it because hey, once I turn all the charms poo poo off and put a real start menu back it's not too bad. I've just spent the last 3 hours trying to install Lenovo's crappy function key drivers so I can turn Wifi and Bluetooth on and off. The solution, naturally, is to install a version a year out of date in Win 7 compatability mode. :shepicide:

When this thing dies I'm buying a Mac.

I have Macs. I like Macs. I fix Macs. Apple does stupid poo poo, too. More like arrogant poo poo, really, like decide that your perfectly functioning machine just isn't good enough for the latest OS or whatever.
One the newer stuff, be aware that pretty much nothing is upgradeable, so you'd better be happy with your memory, and possibly hard drive (SSD) size. iMacs, for example, don't have RAM slots, and you have to disassemble the thing to replace the SSD, which is something you need special tools for, since you have to go in through the front glass, and it's glued in, unlike the previous generation that had magnets. The laptops are just as bad. I think you may be able to replace the SSD on those. Here at work, we make sure that everything we use stays in AppleCare for this reason.
That said, they don't break hardly at all, so if you spec the machine adequately in the first place, it'll run for years. For personal use, I have a 2010 MacBook Pro (Core2 Duo). upgrading to 8 GB RAM and an SSD for the OS drive, with a spinny drive in the optical bay, makes it just fine for email, surfing, and general use.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Darchangel posted:

I have Macs. I like Macs. I fix Macs. Apple does stupid poo poo, too. More like arrogant poo poo, really, like decide that your perfectly functioning machine just isn't good enough for the latest OS or whatever.
One the newer stuff, be aware that pretty much nothing is upgradeable, so you'd better be happy with your memory, and possibly hard drive (SSD) size. iMacs, for example, don't have RAM slots, and you have to disassemble the thing to replace the SSD, which is something you need special tools for, since you have to go in through the front glass, and it's glued in, unlike the previous generation that had magnets. The laptops are just as bad. I think you may be able to replace the SSD on those. Here at work, we make sure that everything we use stays in AppleCare for this reason.
That said, they don't break hardly at all, so if you spec the machine adequately in the first place, it'll run for years. For personal use, I have a 2010 MacBook Pro (Core2 Duo). upgrading to 8 GB RAM and an SSD for the OS drive, with a spinny drive in the optical bay, makes it just fine for email, surfing, and general use.

Um, yes they do. Almost every single model of iMac does. "Memory is not user-removable on iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), and iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) computers", that's it, and they still have slots you just have to disassemble the unit to access them, with the exception of the VERY LATEST 21" model ("• Memory in iMac (21-inch, Late 2015) and iMac (Retina 4K, 21-inch, Late 2015) is not upgradeable.") which is understandable since chances are nobody's ever upgrading the RAM in a 21".

Inability to access the HDD is a bit of a bitch though.

And yes, you can swap the SSD out on the laptops with nothing but a pentalobe screwdriver (and a torx for the actual SSD retaining screw). No RAM upgrades, but while that pisses off us power users for 99% of users it doesn't make a lick of difference.

(apple still do hella stupid poo poo though, like how the new mac pro is inferior to the old one in quite a few ways)

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Do you know what beats being on the bike at 4:30am @18C and busting out a 31kph average 90km with 950m elevation change, dead calm with the traffic co-operating so I don't have to unclip for 1.5 hours?

Well if you do, let me know. What an amazing morning to be alive, I haven't gotten to the office in this kind of positive mood ever and ending the ride by crossing the Harbour Bridge on what is looking like a mindblowingly hot day just sealed it. Glad I was done by 730am, it's gonna be stinking hot this afternoon

• Locked thread