Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fans posted:

Not sure if anyone's said it yet because I ain't reading 600 pages, but this mod shows you what dumb thing your character is about to say and so it's pretty great.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/

It was made by a goon who has posted about creating it on this very page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I found a mascot head so now I can live out my wildest fantasies acting like I enjoy hurting other people.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Tenzarin posted:

Turn off survival, install the increase or decrease legendary monster mod from the mod thread. Have more fun playing the game.

I set mine to spawn legendaries like survival but I don't do 50% dmg.

I mostly run survival because I like that slower health regen but the (lack of) damage done is just ridiculous. If it just made you rely more on chems and other aid items but what it does most is turn the game into you watching how your companion is saving the day while you plink away at enemies and might as well just put your gun away. Thanks for directing me to the modding thread, I'm going to try this: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/222/

Hope it doesn't break the game horribly or something.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

God drat it what the gently caress can someone make a mod that triples the drop rate of legendary weapons compared to armor or something because I still HAVENT GOTTEN ANYTHING OTHER THAN A CHEST PIECE

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Vargs posted:

It was made by a goon who has posted about creating it on this very page.

Well done that Goon.

Bob NewSCART posted:

God drat it what the gently caress can someone make a mod that triples the drop rate of legendary weapons compared to armor or something because I still HAVENT GOTTEN ANYTHING OTHER THAN A CHEST PIECE

I get nothing by Tire Irons, consider yourself lucky.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
There's a lot of things I'm liking about this game (not the least of which is the improvements in writing, even if I did start frothing at the mouth when I read about 'West Cost BoS Elders'), but it really, really fails to make me identify with the protagonist. Specifically, the protagonist as they want you to identify with him.

The initial bit of characterization--he has a family and they are taken away from him--is a cheap shortcut to try and establish pathos for the protagonist. I'm not sure how many people felt for that, but for me I could only laugh when I realized that they were literally fridging your significant other in the first ten minutes. Thing is, maybe I could run with this if the way the game plays focused around your stolen child; if this was actually a point of urgency. But it isn't. Every time it comes up in dialogue, the protagonist gets somber and choked-up, but then I go and don a superhero costume to help a crazy person and speak like I stepped out of a classic Superman radio play, or decide I want to be some unfrozen Harriet Tubman to a bunch of replicants, or immediately sign up with some dogmatic CLEANSE THE WASTELAND group of crazies.

They tried to do a focused story, but at the same time they tried to have an open world, do-what-you-will playstyle filled with strange and goofy things, and the two elements don't mesh at all. Previously they tended towards the latter, but they didn't go far enough in the former for it to work--and for this gameplay style I'm not even sure the former would. The protagonist should be having some serious survivor's guilt, or PTSD, or future shock, or be hellbent on running down the guy who took his son, but instead I'm helping some jackasses plant crops because apparently these assholes can't figure out agriculture on their own.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Fans posted:

I get nothing by Tire Irons, consider yourself lucky.

Lead pipes. With VATS-related abilities. :suicide:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Man, all these factions are really annoying and I'm struggling to continue playing because I don't like any of their goals. Does the minutemen quest line go anywhere or is it just unlocking more and more settlements that I don't care about?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Minorkos posted:

Man, all these factions are really annoying and I'm struggling to continue playing because I don't like any of their goals. Does the minutemen quest line go anywhere or is it just unlocking more and more settlements that I don't care about?

Play it until you get the Castle at least.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Ironslave posted:

The protagonist should be having some serious survivor's guilt, or PTSD, or future shock, or be hellbent on running down the guy who took his son, but instead I'm helping some jackasses plant crops because apparently these assholes can't figure out agriculture on their own.

I get what you're saying, but by this logic none of the Fallout games (or most games in general) would really work. The courier shouldn't be perfectly recovered from a coma immediately after regaining consciousness and should probably be disabled for life. The lone wanderer likely would have been killed in a day in the wasteland because they grew up extremely sheltered in a vault. :shrug: And all the games have the similar issue of "I have a really important singular goal to achieve but I'm helping with 20+ mundane tasks for random wastelanders instead."

The story is cliche as hell, but I don't think it's fair to fault it because it's acting like a video game instead of a 100% exact simulation of reality.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Also if you stop to help assholes plant crops you are the one choosing to do that. If you want to RP more urgency then rush the main quest and ignore anything that won't help you FIND SHAUN.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

I get what you're saying, but by this logic none of the Fallout games (or most games in general) would really work. The courier shouldn't be perfectly recovered from a coma immediately after regaining consciousness and should probably be disabled for life. The lone wanderer likely would have been killed in a day in the wasteland because they grew up extremely sheltered in a vault. :shrug: And all the games have the similar issue of "I have a really important singular goal to achieve but I'm helping with 20+ mundane tasks for random wastelanders instead."

The story is cliche as hell, but I don't think it's fair to fault it because it's acting like a video game instead of a 100% exact simulation of reality.

Bethesda bad at writing, previous games don't count for arbitrary reasons, etc etc etc

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Whoever was the art director for this game, give them a raise. They did a hell of a job.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I've figured out how to eliminate one of my inventory issues without feeling like I'm cheating.

I'm going to use the console to view the carry weight of my companion then add that to my own. Instead of having to bother switching items around between the two of us I can just pretend my inventory is shared.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Inverness posted:

I've figured out how to eliminate one of my inventory issues without feeling like I'm cheating.

I'm going to use the console to view the carry weight of my companion then add that to my own. Instead of having to bother switching items around between the two of us I can just pretend my inventory is shared.

Kinda sorta wish the game did this by default just to make it easier on the player.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So I think I might have hosed up my faction stuff, the main quest is confusing me. I might have accidentally joined the Institute? I finished the quest Institutionalized and then did the first quest they give you to find a synth. I turned over the holotape to the minutemen but either nothing came of that or I don't remember. I am afraid I hosed myself by doing an institution quest maybe? I wanted to join the Railroad people too, but hadn't done any of their quests yet, and now they don't trust me. I also haven't done any brotherhood of steel quests yet. Goddamnit how hosed am I :( I hate my son.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Junk Jet: Nice idea except now I NEED my junk! The days of decapitating a man with a wad of Pre-War Money is over.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ironslave posted:

There's a lot of things I'm liking about this game (not the least of which is the improvements in writing, even if I did start frothing at the mouth when I read about 'West Cost BoS Elders'), but it really, really fails to make me identify with the protagonist. Specifically, the protagonist as they want you to identify with him.

The initial bit of characterization--he has a family and they are taken away from him--is a cheap shortcut to try and establish pathos for the protagonist. I'm not sure how many people felt for that, but for me I could only laugh when I realized that they were literally fridging your significant other in the first ten minutes. Thing is, maybe I could run with this if the way the game plays focused around your stolen child; if this was actually a point of urgency. But it isn't. Every time it comes up in dialogue, the protagonist gets somber and choked-up, but then I go and don a superhero costume to help a crazy person and speak like I stepped out of a classic Superman radio play, or decide I want to be some unfrozen Harriet Tubman to a bunch of replicants, or immediately sign up with some dogmatic CLEANSE THE WASTELAND group of crazies.

They tried to do a focused story, but at the same time they tried to have an open world, do-what-you-will playstyle filled with strange and goofy things, and the two elements don't mesh at all. Previously they tended towards the latter, but they didn't go far enough in the former for it to work--and for this gameplay style I'm not even sure the former would. The protagonist should be having some serious survivor's guilt, or PTSD, or future shock, or be hellbent on running down the guy who took his son, but instead I'm helping some jackasses plant crops because apparently these assholes can't figure out agriculture on their own.
I would argue that it's the opposite - they give you a vague sense of being a human being pre-war, and then it's all taken away from you, and eventually you find out that it was ALL taken away since saving your kid is even a moot point so you really are given the best "welp, time to just go gently caress around".

There really isn't much better of a way to try to have it both ways.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Speedball posted:

Junk Jet: Nice idea except now I NEED my junk! The days of decapitating a man with a wad of Pre-War Money is over.

Pre-War money only gives cloth and you probably already have loads of that. Fire away!

Hot Plates, now there's something worth its weight in gold.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Speedball posted:

Items in areas respawn and it only took me a little while to have dozens of most mats I care about - certainly enough to roll around dropping level 2 turrets all over any base I feel like, and also building a loving huge structure that encloses the drive-in screen... At this point I could probably be okay with sucking up cans and clipboards since items in containers respawn with enemies.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Harrow posted:

(he's making fun of MisterBibs)

Also "you shouldn't expect X from Bethesda" isn't really an effective shield from criticism. If they're going to try to have some sort of emotionally-affecting story about family and loss (which there are shades of in Fallout 4), it's fair to critique them on how they did and did not pull that off. (They mostly didn't.)

They make lovely inventory systems too, and while the hack/slash combat in skyrim is kinda fun it's the most basic "click mouse button while standing by enemy" combat that games were doing 20 years ago. Archery in skyrim is pretty cool but gets too overpowered, and the magic would be decent if you didnt need to constantly go into the nested menus to switch your only 2 active spells. Same goes with the vats thing in new vegas, i only used it a few times and got sick of it. First-person-shooters don't mesh with fighting-via-menu. And holy poo poo why are their games always so brokenly bugged? Aren't they making like a billion dollars off F4? They could hire a few more guys. Nobody should buy on of their games for a year after release, til modders can fix as much of the stupid/broken poo poo as they can.

Sorry for the rant but I had a bad day and I'm disappointed that new vegas sucks, I heard people hype it for years and was looking forward to it. Maybe steam has the old isometric fallouts on sale, might be worth trying for a few bucks.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
For anyone who is having trouble with selecting their crops in workshop mode, it seems like you still can, just not when you're standing next to it. Instead, back up anywhere from ten to twenty feet and just sorta wave your crosshair in the general vicinity of the crop to get the highlighting to appear. Sometimes your crosshair looks nowhere near the crop, so it's some sort of general targeting issue. You may need to move any other nearby objects so they don't get in the way.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Skeezy posted:

Kinda sorta wish the game did this by default just to make it easier on the player.
A mod could do it whenever the Creation Kit comes around I assume.

A script would only need to do two things: add your companion's carry weight to yours when it joins up and remove it when it leaves, and move any items your companion does not have equipped back to your own inventory after you close the trade window (the anti-cheating aspect).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fans posted:

Pre-War money only gives cloth and you probably already have loads of that. Fire away!

Hot Plates, now there's something worth its weight in gold.

"Oh, thank god, I found a camera. Now I can finally build that drat antenna!" <-- said nobody ever before this game.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

effectual posted:

They make lovely inventory systems too, and while the hack/slash combat in skyrim is kinda fun it's the most basic "click mouse button while standing by enemy" combat that games were doing 20 years ago. Archery in skyrim is pretty cool but gets too overpowered, and the magic would be decent if you didnt need to constantly go into the nested menus to switch your only 2 active spells. Same goes with the vats thing in new vegas, i only used it a few times and got sick of it. First-person-shooters don't mesh with fighting-via-menu. And holy poo poo why are their games always so brokenly bugged? Aren't they making like a billion dollars off F4? They could hire a few more guys. Nobody should buy on of their games for a year after release, til modders can fix as much of the stupid/broken poo poo as they can.

Sorry for the rant but I had a bad day and I'm disappointed that new vegas sucks, I heard people hype it for years and was looking forward to it. Maybe steam has the old isometric fallouts on sale, might be worth trying for a few bucks.

Actually it is you who sucks, and the game is pretty good even though it's flawed

Barnes
Jul 20, 2003
raeg agniast teh machiese
Anyone else having issues with the Workshop screen in the Pip boy? Several of my settlements are showing low defense/food/water values and when I go there to correct it, they're way higher than the displayed value.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Kimmalah posted:

Those work (even the Lone Wanderer) because the character is there for you to decide. This tries to have its cake and eat it too by attempting to establish a personality but then leave it up to the player to act in complete dissonance to that. I'm not bitching about realism; I'm bitching about the story not following through on the sort of character its trying to establish for the story it wants to tell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

effectual posted:

If you couldn't stand the combat in New Vegas then I would not look at the old games. The combat there feels like pulling teeth and is way more clunky. Also even with fan patches Fallout 2 is a glitchy mess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raising the difficult from normal to hard is leading to a legendary raider that was taking potshots at me doing virtually nothing to killing me in five shots. I'm dead before VATS can even lock on. What the gently caress sort of increase is that?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Skeezy posted:

This would break the immersion that going over my 425lb carry limit, turning to my dog, and feeding him 3 miniguns, a desk fan, duct, and enough pants to cloth Sanctuary to reduce my carry weight to 200lbs again.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

This would break the immersion that going over my 425lb carry limit, turning to my dog, and feeding him 3 miniguns, a desk fan, duct, and enough pants to cloth Sanctuary to reduce my carry weight to 200lbs again.

You just reminded me of that bug in Fallout 3 where you could get a laser rifle into Dogmeat's inventory and he'd bark lasers at enemies and now I wish that could happen in 4 too :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Icedude posted:

You just reminded me of that bug in Fallout 3 where you could get a laser rifle into Dogmeat's inventory and he'd bark lasers at enemies and now I wish that could happen in 4 too :(

You just reminded me of it too, and how disappointed I was when I found out it was a photoshop by forums user Everdraed.

Its url was even shhhthisisajoke and people still bought it because they wanted it to be real, and I did too. :smith:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay so what sounded like a jet just whooshed over my head, didn't see anything, anybody have an idea wtf it might've been?

edit: oh it's a crashed something. wish I knew which way it went. :\

Speedball posted:

"Oh, thank god, I found a camera. Now I can finally build that drat antenna!" <-- said nobody ever before this game.
I guess you've never played Starbound or Minecraft or any of the other hundred variants.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So I just started trying to make my base more rad, how do I power the random lights you leave laying around? I tried putting a power conduit on one side of my base-house and wiring directly to a large generator, but it only seemed to get one of my lights. Also, I can't seem to figure out how to door.

Jet (and the jet combo drugs) rule in this game. Chem-ist for MVP (Most Valuable Perk), with a couple levels in it and biomesh on my chest I can slow time for like a minute, more than long enough to murder every living thing in the area before they can even shoot. I've found a couple absolutely absurd drugs in the game world, do you ever get the means to make more/find more/buy more of those? Or are they one and done?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trick Question posted:

So I just started trying to make my base more rad, how do I power the random lights you leave laying around? I tried putting a power conduit on one side of my base-house and wiring directly to a large generator, but it only seemed to get one of my lights. Also, I can't seem to figure out how to door.

Jet (and the jet combo drugs) rule in this game. Chem-ist for MVP (Most Valuable Perk), with a couple levels in it and biomesh on my chest I can slow time for like a minute, more than long enough to murder every living thing in the area before they can even shoot. I've found a couple absolutely absurd drugs in the game world, do you ever get the means to make more/find more/buy more of those? Or are they one and done?

You should be able to make Psychojet and whatever at any chemistry station.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

The origin of Fallout brahmin is a lot less mysterious than you'd think: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman_(cattle)
Brahman are a common heat-tolerant breed of cattle.
Edit: in contrast to something like Black Angus cattle which are known for superb marbling (high-quality beef) but are not nearly so tolerant of warmer climates.

Wow, thats pretty damned interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

In unrelated news, I can't decide what to call this beauty. Not the best damage, but the amount of sustained fire I can throw at mid-range is fun as hell:

I'm leaning towards The Greater Good since using it is giving me flashbacks to playing Dawn Of War as the Tau.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Trick Question posted:

Lights you put on the wall get power from any nearby conduit. It's a small range, so spamming conduits and towers is a good idea for serious lighting.

The standing light though has to be directly wired.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think you have to have Chemist 1 to make most of the raw drugs yourself but can make combo drugs easily without any perks.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm at the beginning of the Mass Fusion quest, where it gives you the choice of allying with the Institute or becoming a permanent enemy of the Brotherhood. Is there a way to avoid making this choice? I really just want to ally with the Railroad, and be chill with the Brotherhood and, yknow, stop by for laundry and Fusion Cores and all that. But it seems like I can't progress on the Railroad quest of "continue working with Father" without making an enemy of the Brotherhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Er, sorry, I know about that, I'm talking about the super-drugs I've found like x-cel and the serum you get on that one quest.

• Locked thread