Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm pretty new to this whole politicking thing but it looks like historically, the GOP has kept the ship together through funding and fundraising and access to the party purse. Now with CU and Trump being a grajillionaire willing and able to self-fund through 2032, what tools does Reince (or anybody, really) have to reign things in and end up with somebody who stands a chance in the general? The only real solution may be getting a boatload of billionaires behind an anti-Trump superpac, but has Jeb! given them all cold feet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

I'm pretty new to this whole politicking thing but it looks like historically, the GOP has kept the ship together through funding and fundraising and access to the party purse. Now with CU and Trump being a grajillionaire willing and able to self-fund through 2032, what tools does Reince (or anybody, really) have to reign things in and end up with somebody who stands a chance in the general? The only real solution may be getting a boatload of billionaires behind an anti-Trump superpac, but has Jeb! given them all cold feet?

Nobody wants to be the one to go after Trump because Trump will hit back. Since there's still several viable not-Trumps, each one hopes someone else does it, knocks out Trump, and gets damaged in return.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Nobody wants to be the one to go after Trump because Trump will hit back. Since there's still several viable not-Trumps, each one hopes someone else does it, knocks out Trump, and gets damaged in return.

Plus nobody wants to waste money on a kamikaze candidate for the good of the party.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Would Huey Long not gotten farther up had he not been assassinated? He did serve both as Governor and as Senator, and declared an intention to run just before his death.

Possibly but I think he would've gotten roundly trounced by Roosevelt in the end. He was also a lot further left wing and there are other differences. Basically though there's historically been room for "party outsider" candidates especially ones that use populist rhetoric. They don't win elections but they win primaries.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
The other thing that gives me pause about Trump is that it's not like he hasn't left openings to attack him, it's that the other candidates didn't go after him when he gave those openeings.

When Trump said some anti-Vaxx poo poo at one of the debates, I was expecting him to get slammed hard for it by the other candidates, but Carson and Paul just sort of equivocated and let it go by. That was a perfect opening to hit Trump when he over-extended, and yet everyone else up there just let him get out of his blunder intact.

If nobody's going to actually attack Trump, then you're relying on Trump self-destructing (looking much less likely) or the base/voters getting bored with him (we're four months in, and they're not bored yet, and Iowa grows closer by the day).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

fade5 posted:

The other thing that gives me pause about Trump is that it's not like he hasn't left openings to attack him, it's that the other candidates didn't go after him when he gave those openeings.

When Trump said some anti-Vaxx poo poo at one of the debates, I was expecting him to get slammed hard for it by the other candidates, but Carson and Paul just sort of equivocated and let it go by. That was a perfect opening to hit Trump when he over-extended, and yet everyone else up there just let him get out of his blunder intact.

They didn't let it go by

Carson shook his hand, and if Rand comes out as pro-vaccine then he loses like 80% of his base

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Epic High Five posted:

and if Rand comes out as pro-vaccine then he loses like 80% of his base

Both Larry and Phil?! :ohdear:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's amazing how desperately some of you are grasping for straws that Trump couldn't possibly win.

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015
late but,

quote:

:hf: My man! (Sally's or Modern?)

Sally's if I'm in the area. My favorite of all time is villa pizza in Stratford next to the Marshals

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fade5 posted:

If nobody's going to actually attack Trump, then you're relying on Trump self-destructing (looking much less likely) or the base/voters getting bored with him (we're four months in, and they're not bored yet, and Iowa grows closer by the day).

It's sort of like the GOP not going after Obama for things that he should be legitimately criticized for: they won't because they agree with him.

Trump didn't get attacked for the anti-vaxx poo poo because they turned it into a partisan issue and took the anti-vaxx stance because of the link between vaccinations and the government, even though anti-vaxx crosses over to nuts on both sides of the political spectrum. They can't take that back anymore because it'd make them look like they were agreeing with the Democrats.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People are savaging Obama for slamming the national hysteria calling him a 'condescending fucker' for talking down to constituents he's supposed to represent. Sports isn't going to make this go away is it :smith:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

fade5 posted:

What he said re: vaccinations is in line with the views of most americans actually. Maybe not the autism part (I have no idea what the general view on that is) but the "too much too quickly" is a pretty common complaint. Also, as has been mentioned, anti-vacc stuff is probably even more prevalent on the left than the right (see the leftist areas of the west coast for a prime example of this). Attacking him on that issue would have accomplished jack loving poo poo.

Nonsense posted:

People are savaging Obama for slamming the national hysteria calling him a 'condescending fucker' for talking down to constituents he's supposed to represent. Sports isn't going to make this go away is it :smith:

Not really a surprise, for me at least. If they push the issue and he vetos the bill and something happens it's the rights election to lose. Also calling people's legitimate fears about terrorism "hysteria" is exactly part of this problem and what is alienating the moderates.

evilweasel posted:

Viable alternatives are dwindling- Cruz sure, but Rubio is dead in the water at this point.

tsa fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 20, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fade5 posted:

they cant attack trump because all the stuff he goes to far on is conservative and the base eats that poo poo up. if JEB! hits him on immigration or something like that, he will just be labeled a leftist. trump will be in for shittyer ride if he makes it to general because going far right wont fly to moderates/blue dogs/ liberals/lefties.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Joementum posted:

I'm sure we can argue back-and-forth about how much they're like Trump, but among early primary poll leaders who were never going to win the nomination there's Robertson, Giuliani, and Gingrich. Granted, Trump really is different than those guys in some ways, but not in his polling.

You are putting an incredible amount of trust in numbers. Similar polling numbers don't tell the story at all with Trump or the mood of the base. I get that it's wishy washy poo poo and sounds too much like some pundit going with his gut but I just don't buy the comparison that Trump is like those actual elected politicians that fell apart later.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

USPOL Nov: PppryfpppdygpdydygdyjddjdyjydyyyjdyddddydyyajtTtTttTtyttTte

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

tsa posted:

What he said re: vaccinations is in line with the views of most americans actually. Maybe not the autism part (I have no idea what the general view on that is) but the "too much too quickly" is a pretty common complaint. Also, as has been mentioned, anti-vacc stuff is probably even more prevalent on the left than the right (see the leftist areas of the west coast for a prime example of this). Attacking him on that issue would have accomplished jack loving poo poo.

Not really a surprise, for me at least. If they push the issue and he vetos the bill and something happens it's the rights election to lose. Also calling people's legitimate fears about terrorism "hysteria" is exactly part of this problem and what is alienating the moderates.

Viable alternatives are dwindling- Cruz sure, but Rubio is dead in the water at this point.

I meant to also put national hysteria in quotes, as the news article about the issue did. Were the prospects for the Senate positive for the Dems before this?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

nachos posted:

You are putting an incredible amount of trust in numbers. Similar polling numbers don't tell the story at all with Trump or the mood of the base. I get that it's wishy washy poo poo and sounds too much like some pundit going with his gut but I just don't buy the comparison that Trump is like those actual elected politicians that fell apart later.

You're saying the polls....are skewed?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sounds like Webb's announcing his intent to primary Ed Markey.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Edit: Mixed up my words. poo poo!

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 20, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Colorado Republican Rep. Ken Buck on Thursday blamed the President's handling of the 2011 terrorist attack in Benghazi for Americans' distrust of Syrian refugees today.

In a back-and-forth with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Leon Rodriguez, Buck argued that no one should be surprised Americans are deeply concerned about refugees considering the way Obama handled the aftermath of the Benghazi attacks.

i...just...

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Ben Ghazi Did Paris

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is the greatest thread title. Probably the best. I've seen other thread titles, I'm friends with them, but let's face it, they're a total disaster.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

tsa posted:

I take issue with the notion that fears of terrorism are legitimate. How many acts of terror have been committed on US soil by first-generation immigrants, including 9-11? (I can think of two offhand -- 9-11 and the Boston Marathon bombings.) We as a country have decided to accept things that kill/injure far more Americans than terrorism.

We already vet refugees trying to enter the US legally (obviously can't screen the ones entering illegally). Why is this system suddenly insufficient because terrorists with false passports managed to infiltrate another country and radicalize citizens there?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You know who else called on public figures and cititzens....

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

This is the greatest thread title. Probably the best. I've seen other thread titles, I'm friends with them, but let's face it, they're a total disaster.

bqhatevwr?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Other thread titles, they're not fighters. They're afraid of breaking tables. Not this thread title. This is the thread title that can make America great again.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Does Donald Trump even do anything other than play golf and wear suits to different places?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm still failing to really integrate the fact that Trump said, in an interview, that he wants to do "unthinkable things" in the name of intelligence gathering and refuses to rule out mandatory religious identification for American citizens.

Meanwhile, a Democrat elected to office is using the Japanese internment as a positive example....

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SedanChair posted:

Does Donald Trump even do anything other than play golf and wear suits to different places?

He builds. And his buildings are the best. So great.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

You know who else called on public figures and cititzens....

Why do even they have to soften it by saying that they need to be careful of terrorists?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

He builds. And his buildings are the best. So great.

He delegates and franchises.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah but I mean does he wear t-shirts and play ping-pong or whatever?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SedanChair posted:

He yells and sweats a lot.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Sometimes he goes on pro wrestling to create the impression that Vince McMahon is a respectable businessman and not an old carny. Of course, the trick is that Trump is a carny too.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He yells and sweats a lot.

He's a well-rounded executive.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cabbit posted:

Sometimes he goes on pro wrestling to create the impression that Vince McMahon is a respectable businessman and not an old carny. Of course, the trick is that Trump is a carny too.

He went on pro wrestling in a suit though!! You see what I mean?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SedanChair posted:

He went on pro wrestling in a suit though!! You see what I mean?

That's just pro wrestling. Either you're in a suit or you're in your underwear. Any time somebody tries to do something in-between you end up with this:

This is from TYOOL 2015.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

evilweasel posted:

quote:

quote:
Colorado Republican Rep. Ken Buck on Thursday blamed the President's handling of the 2011 terrorist attack in Benghazi for Americans' distrust of Syrian refugees today.

In a back-and-forth with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Leon Rodriguez, Buck argued that no one should be surprised Americans are deeply concerned about refugees considering the way Obama handled the aftermath of the Benghazi attacks.
i...just...
Aww man, we'd been doing so well in the headlines lately too :co:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I will admit to being completely wrong on the whole " It's going to be Bush/Walker" ticket. Seriously, what the loving hell. How many here predicted that?

If Trump keeps his numbers till mid January the party is hosed. Ben Carson is obviously self destructing and so are the other candidate. Jeb Bush is going to run out of money for his main campaign and only have his super pac.

I :toxx: for Trump winning the nomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Hollismason posted:

I :toxx: for Trump winning the nomination.

Sure you don't want to wait until January to do that?

• Locked thread