Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Didn't you all see the trailer? They already have a release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
ugh my :tenbux:

oh well that's like 3 espressos

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
The best part of the first game was the way real world personalities were used, and the source of most of the humor. Since this is a real money game how does the dev expect to make up for that now that you can't just plop in famous basketball players

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

the entire game has been done for a good while now, they just wanted to delay it so they could fill up dwarfnet with all of these bad posts

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SirPenguin posted:

and you can't even give them the benefit of the doubt that they're just heads-down-working because the updates they are sharing are super pathetic. like wow, you're drawing rotated gun sprites instead of just rotating a single one. great, definitely sounds like you're on the final lap! keep up the good work that should have been completed literally years ago

How do you make a shoot game when you haven't even drawn a gun's loving typical ToG incompetence

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The sad truth is that we're not going to get the version of Barkley 2 they've been working on for the last few years, because they sold it to Bethesda and they made a few minor tweaks to get FO IV.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The sad truth is that we're not going to get the version of Barkley 2 they've been working on for the last few years, because they sold it to Bethesda and they made a few minor tweaks to get FO IV.

This was believable until you mentioned FO4, there's not way even ToG's could make such a bad game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

still probably the most meaningful quote that has ever been uttered by man

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.

SirPenguin posted:

like wow, you're drawing rotated gun sprites instead of just rotating a single one.

Please elaborate

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Svampson posted:

Please elaborate

He wants a single sprite that's rotated by the engine instead of having sprites hand-drawn for each direction the gun could possibly be in.

The former option allows for smoother movement but looks extremely lovely, whereas the latter can only fire in eight directions but looks a lot better.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.

Cabbagepots posted:

He wants a single sprite that's rotated by the engine instead of having sprites hand-drawn for each direction the gun could possibly be in.

The former option allows for smoother movement but looks extremely lovely, whereas the latter can only fire in eight directions but looks a lot better.

I was just curious if he was seriously suggesting the first option, since that would obviously not work well at all with the perspective the game is using (like you mentioned)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well im glad it's obvious

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Actually what he was suggesting was just having every gun look like a generic gun on your sprite, instead of having different eight-way sprites for different ones

Either way he is wrong

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
yeah in an action game you should be able to tell what weapon you're using just by looking at your character, pretty standard stuff. it didnt get done before now cus it's a cosmetic thing not something integral to gameplay like monster sprites

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Barkley 2 is actually being made entirely in the Hotline Miami 2 level designer

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arzachel posted:

How do you make a shoot game when you haven't even drawn a gun's loving typical ToG incompetence
Looks like you got worked into a shoot, brother

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This terrible thread has taught me that if you crowdfund, you will have to put up with whiny assholes forever.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lurdiak posted:

This terrible thread has taught me that if you crowdfund, you will have to put up with whiny assholes forever.

It's not even 11 years of development time, relax.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I thought the whole point of kickstarter is to get away from people who took creative control away from the creators, holding them hostage with money.

Instead it just makes every person that donates into a lovely producer.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they already have the money though. seems different on the most basic level

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

captain innocuous posted:

I thought the whole point of kickstarter is to get away from people who took creative control away from the creators, holding them hostage with money.

Instead it just makes every person that donates into a lovely producer.

Eh, people act like they're entitled about stuff they contribute absolutely no money to just because they're fans of a show or something.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

obstipator posted:

an active social media presence is not required to develop a game

I think you missed my point. the game is indefinitely delayed and I don't think they've once actually acknowledged that. they used to tell us how it was going and what their plans were and how the money was doing, but they abruptly stopped a couple years ago. do they just have no idea? maybe, but it'd be nice to actually know what's going on. i'm not looking to dictate how they're doing things but i do want to know if the game will ever actually come out

I know gamers and KS backers specifically act like entitled jerks way too early in a game's development, but at some point it's gotta be ok to be upset at the developers. how long does it have to be delayed or how silent do they have to be for it to be ok to be mad? is it "never" for some of you?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If you don't treat every kickstarter like you're throwing money into a black hole you're doing it wrong. Update might be nice but if they don't want to collapse the wave function too early that's up to them.

E: it says not for corporate attitude right on the tin, man.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 20, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SirPenguin posted:

I think you missed my point. the game is indefinitely delayed and I don't think they've once actually acknowledged that. they used to tell us how it was going and what their plans were and how the money was doing, but they abruptly stopped a couple years ago. do they just have no idea? maybe, but it'd be nice to actually know what's going on. i'm not looking to dictate how they're doing things but i do want to know if the game will ever actually come out

I know gamers and KS backers specifically act like entitled jerks way too early in a game's development, but at some point it's gotta be ok to be upset at the developers. how long does it have to be delayed or how silent do they have to be for it to be ok to be mad? is it "never" for some of you?

Kickstarters are investments, and like every investment you should expect some of your money to go nowhere or take forever to turn itself around.

Does that suck? Yes. Does it suck as much as you make it seem? Only if you threw down some serious cash, I guess. For what it's worth, I think I dropped 15 bucks down and promptly forgot about it. This game will still be done faster, and will probably be better than FFXV, which so far holds the record for "gently caress YOU THIS IS TAKING TOO LONG."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SirPenguin posted:

They very recently had playable demos. How is that silence?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Man you guys get pretty riled up considering you spent $10 like 3 years ago. I am waiting with zen-like patience to play what I'm confident will be the good game

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Just wait and :chillpill: don't have any expectations and all is good

Maybe one day it'll happen. That'll be cool I guess.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

SirPenguin posted:

the game is indefinitely delayed and I don't think they've once actually acknowledged that.

They announced a release date, and if you're not paying enough attention to have seen it, that's on you.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
As a backer, I think TOG have shown enough evidence that they are indeed working on the game and have a fair amount of content already in. I'd rather the developers take their time with the project and make sure it's at a high level of quality then say "gently caress it" and release an incomplete game and call it "complete" which they probably could have done by now.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

hellocruelworld posted:

As a backer, I think TOG have shown enough evidence that they are indeed working on the game and have a fair amount of content already in. I'd rather the developers take their time with the project and make sure it's at a high level of quality then say "gently caress it" and release an incomplete game and call it "complete" which they probably could have done by now.

It's like people are just yelling at the devs for not going "IT COMPILED, SHIP IT" and calling it a day. I really hope that one of them does a post-mortem about Barkley 2's development process though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

staplegun posted:

It's like people are just yelling at the devs for not going "IT COMPILED, SHIP IT" and calling it a day. I really hope that one of them does a post-mortem about Barkley 2's development process though.

Make it a 30 for 30.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody cares about sprites anymore it's all about that sweet cel shading like in Bloodstained Symphony of the Night and Guilty Gear X-Art.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

owl milk posted:

they're going for a very high level of quality (the "three tile rule").

Good to see they're keeping the quality design sensibilities learned from the RPGMaker community alive.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

staplegun posted:

going "IT COMPILED, SHIP IT" and calling it a day.

The Nicalis development plan.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Jonathan Taylor Bagpipes . FLV

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Like two months ago, they showed off a bunch of new poo poo at PAX. Is that some weird new kind of radio silence I'm not aware of?

Also, I'm under the impression that this isn't exactly a huge team working full-time

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
I think I said this back when you guys launched the kickstarter (and you haughtily, disdainfully turned me down if I remember correctly), but I'd still be up for making something weird for you dudes if you'd want it.

Especially if there's like four more years of dev to expect, that'd give me plenty of time to make something a little silly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
How long until the Gnarles Barkley spinoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
There's no reason why you couldn't fire at an arbitrary angle and the sprite would just default to whatever position it's closest to out of the eight 45° angles. Best of both worlds.