Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Latvia had plenty of colonies for what Latvia was at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Austria also briefly tried to colonize the Nicobar Islands.

Also, Latvia should have a couple: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couronian_colonization :v:

E: beaten.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guavanaut posted:

That's Austria.

Comedy Answer: Slovakia.

Slightly less comedy answer: Moravia

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I, too was going to post about the absence of Latvia. Lotta Courland nerds in here.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also Malta is missing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There's a strong overlap between people who spend hours looking at maps and people who spend hours reading wikipedia about history, so

(kalstrams at least has a good reason to know about it)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Indeed, even with general interest asides it still remains a mandatory part of history curriculum in all our schools.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I learned about the Latvian colonies today.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Who wants to hear about the time Scotland tried to become a colonial power and it cost them so much money that they had to sign the Acts of Union to avoid bankruptcy? :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kavak posted:

Who wants to hear about the time Scotland tried to become a colonial power and it cost them so much money that they had to sign the Acts of Union to avoid bankruptcy? :v:

Ship fulla combs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

"The Darien Scheme was an unsuccessful attempt by the Kingdom of Scotland to become a world trading nation by establishing a colony called "Caledonia" on the Isthmus of Panama on the Gulf of Darién in the late 1690s. The aim was for the colony to have an overland route that connected the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. From the beginning the undertaking was beset by poor planning and provisioning, divided leadership, lack of demand for trade goods, devastating epidemics of disease, and failure to anticipate the Spanish Empire's military response. It was finally abandoned in March 1700 after a siege by Spanish forces, which also blockaded the harbour.[1]

As the Darien company was backed by 25–50% of all the money circulating in Scotland, its failure left the entire Lowlands almost completely ruined and was an important factor in the subsequent Act of Union (completed in 1707). The land where the Darien colony was built is virtually uninhabited today."

"Agriculture proved difficult and the local Indians, though hostile to Spain, were unwilling to trade for the combs and other trinkets offered by the colonists. Most serious was the almost total failure to sell any goods to the few passing traders who put in to the bay. With the onset of summer the following year, malaria and fever led to many deaths. Eventually, the mortality rate rose to ten settlers a day.[7] Local Indians brought gifts of fruit and plantains, but these were appropriated by the leaders and sailors who mostly remained on board ships. The only luck the settlers had was in giant turtle hunting, but fewer and fewer men were fit enough for such strenuous work. The situation was exacerbated by the lack of food mainly due to a high rate of spoilage caused by improper stowing. At the same time, King William instructed the Dutch and English colonies in America not to supply the Scots' settlement so as not to incur the wrath of the Spanish Empire.[7] The only reward the council had to give was alcohol, and drunkenness became common, even though it sped the deaths of men already weakened by dysentery, fever and the rotting, worm-infested food."

Wait? Combs? yes. The idiots were told that the natives living in the area were a utopia with tons of food and gold and they all had long luscious hair. Clearly a boat FILLED with fine european combs would be the best thing to trade with them.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 20, 2015

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The humid tropics were absolute deathzones for Europeans until the mid 19th century when quinine became widely available.

For something potentially-politically-loaded, it's probably no coincidence that the Mason-Dixon line corresponds almost exactly to the northernmost range of P. falsiparum.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

kalstrams posted:

Latvia had plenty of colonies for what Latvia was at a time.

I'm upset on your behalf.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Sucrose posted:

The humid tropics were absolute deathzones for Europeans until the mid 19th century when quinine became widely available.

For something potentially-politically-loaded, it's probably no coincidence that the Mason-Dixon line corresponds almost exactly to the northernmost range of P. falsiparum.

how did the natives avoid dying from all the diseases that killed whites?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

I'm upset on your behalf.
At least someone is upset, I guess. I'm not since we're utterly incapable to deal with ~mainland Latvia~ alone so having overseas territories would just introduce additional problems, while not bring much to the table, other than semi-exotic vacation spots for the upper middle class.

Hogge Wild posted:

Dying a bunch before so their bodies got used to it, to some extent. Malaria still kills lots of children in tropics though.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

Part of it was that they died in the past from malaria, and the selection pressure resulted in increased prevalence of traits like sickle cell which reduce the severity of malaria.

edit: Oops, I must have opened this tab a long time ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kavak posted:

There's a book called "How Scotland Invented the Modern World" or something like that where it goes into that and says "yeah even though they were forced into an act of union with England, all the really smart people and inventions came from Scotland".

Robot Dog
Oct 2, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

how did whites avoid dying from all the diseases that killed native americans?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Robot Dog posted:

Sex with farm animals. Probably.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Robot Dog posted:

They're god's chosen people, obviously.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hogge Wild posted:

In many cases, they didn't. I don't think the area around Panama was ever particularly heavily settled, not until the previous century, and the same was true of much of Africa. It took a long time before you started seeing real density outside India, China, and Europe, at the sub-continent level at least. Obviously local concentrations existed in more places than that.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Lots of good stuff about malaria in 1493. When I get home tonight I'll post a map from it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Pakled posted:

Austria also briefly tried to colonize the Nicobar Islands.

Also, Latvia should have a couple: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couronian_colonization :v:

E: beaten.

I was coming to post this drat it

computer parts posted:

There's a book called "How Scotland Invented the Modern World" or something like that where it goes into that and says "yeah even though they were forced into an act of union with England, all the really smart people and inventions came from Scotland".

Books like this are stupid. The Scotland one isn't as bad the Irish one I've seen that claimed Wellington as Irish.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sbaldrick posted:

Books like this are stupid. The Scotland one isn't as bad the Irish one I've seen that claimed Wellington as Irish.
Every country has its share of books like this and they're all :allears:

Or a cross between :allears: and :godwinning: for some countries I guess.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Guavanaut posted:

Every country has its share of books like this and they're all :allears:

Or a cross between :allears: and :godwinning: for some countries I guess.

Especially since the ancient worldspanning Korean empire is the nation to which we are truly indebted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiLA6Bk_ivs

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

sbaldrick posted:

"If a man be born in a stable, that does not make him a horse".

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

khwarezm posted:

Well, to be fair, he was born in Ireland into an Anglo-Irish family and spent the first 12 years of his life in Ireland. If a man is born in a stable, and is raised there for 12 years, I'd wager he would have certain horse-like tendencies. He was also generally very supportive of Catholic Emancipation once in office, showing at least some sympathies for the Irish Catholics.

I think as far as outrageous claims of nationality go Wellington being Irish isn't too unreasonable.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

To add to what others have said,

They didn't. The arrival of malaria in the Americas with European settlers devastated native communities. Mosquito borne illnesses bring suffering to everyone where they occur.

They avoided areas of disease. The distribution of mosquito borne illness can be very heterogeneous across a landscape and changes seasonally. Not all areas are effected equally or at the same time, and with experience communities can learn to minimize exposure. The Wikipedia article on the Darien expedition notes that the fever broke out in "summer," presumably meaning the Northern hemisphere summer, which coincides with the rainy season for the Caribbean Coast of Panama. Rains often bring seasonal outbreaks, and its possible the locals simply left for the drier Pacific Coast or colder, higher elevations where there were fewer mosquitoes. This leads into to my next point:

They adapted. Communities at risk of vector born illness adopted life-ways that reduced risk. For example in areas with seasonal outbreaks communities adopted flexible agricultural systems that permitted migrations, rather than intensive cultivation that required more sedentary lifestyles. In Africa you see this in pastoral communities, moving herds out of areas afflicted by tsetse fly during high risk seasons.

In some areas vectors need cleared gardens or agricultural plots to survive, and aren't present in dense natural forests. These places were often only inhabited by hunter-gatherers, who were protected by virtue of their low impact land-use.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

sbaldrick posted:

YakOnFir
Aug 16, 2015

khwarezm posted:

Was said about him not by him.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

Kinda meaningless without knowing how they're counting colonies. Would like to see one based on total colonial land area and population though.

Here's the page with some explanation (although the explanation is "they're the colonies mentioned on this list of colonies on wikipedia').

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Blut posted:

Well, to be fair, he was born in Ireland into an Anglo-Irish family and spent the first 12 years of his life in Ireland. If a man is born in a stable, and is raised there for 12 years, I'd wager he would have certain horse-like tendencies. He was also generally very supportive of Catholic Emancipation once in office, showing at least some sympathies for the Irish Catholics.

I think as far as outrageous claims of nationality go Wellington being Irish isn't too unreasonable.

With a similar argument one might call Kipling India's greatest author.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Riso posted:

There are probably people who do.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Riso posted:

He considered himself Anglo-Indian.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Riso posted:

Kipling left India when he was 5. And wasn't born into an Anglo-Indian family who had been "in country" for generations - they had just moved to India in 1865 (the year of his birth). So the comparison isn't really exact, Kipling would have been far less Indian culturally than Wellington would have been Irish.

Not to mention the fact that there was far more difference in C19th Indian vs C19th British culture than Irish vs British - even if all other factors were equal it would be a harder cultural transfer.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The new international brigades kind of suck imo

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Twenty Eighty-Four is going to be a blast.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is the rest of the world even trying? Even most muslim countries have trouble keeping up with us!

Hats off to Jordan, but to be fair, they're right next door.

Hogge Wild posted:

Twenty Eighty-Four is going to be a blast.

Homage To Al-Raqqah Governorate

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Apparently from this show:

Has anyone watched it? Is it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug