Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Windows does the same with .lib files, enable LTO on the linker just like MSVC to clean up afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
This is for an assignment in C so please don't just give me the answer. I have just exhausted my patience for the evening trying to figure this out.

What I am finding is that my array and its contents are formatted correctly ('asdf' , '\00000') but that I get a segfault in in my qsort call that traces back to the cmp function. All I can surmise is that I am somehow passing qsort a null pointer, or that my strings are formatted incorrectly which doesn't seem to be the case to me.

The wordlist struct is used to hold an array of chars called a Word [typedef char Word[ WORD_MAX + 1 ];].
code:
typedef struct {
  /** Number of words in the wordlist. */
  int len;
  /** Capacity of the WordList, so we can know when we need to resize. */
  int capacity;
  /** List of words.  Should be sorted lexicographically once the word list
      has been read in. */
  Word *words;
} WordList;
The readWordList function takes in a .txt file that is formatted "3 the\n2 hi\n ..." with the integer being the number of chars in the string that follows it. I took out all the file import stuff to save space. validChar is just a boolean check to see if the incoming char is within a certain range.
code:
/**
 * comparison function for qsort in readWordList
 */
static int cmp(const void *p1, const void *p2){
  return strcmp(* (char * const *)  p1, * (char * const *) p2);
}

WordList *readWordList( char const *fname ){
  //malloc space for newList
  WordList *newList = ( WordList * ) malloc( sizeof( WordList ) );
  //set capacity to 10
  newList->capacity = START_CAPACITY;
  newList->words = ( Word * ) calloc(newList->capacity, sizeof( Word ) );
  while( fscanf( toRead, "%d ", &numChars ) == 1 )
  {
    //realloc space for Word *words if necessary
    if(newList->len >= newList->capacity)
    {
      newList->capacity *= 2;
      //check dereferencing
      newList->words = (Word *)realloc(newList->words, newList->capacity * sizeof(Word));
    }
    //if word is longer than 20 chars skip it
    if(numChars > WORD_MAX)
      continue;
    else
    {
      for(int i = 0; i < numChars; i++)
      {
        ch = fgetc(toRead);
          if(validChar(ch)){
            newList->words[newList->len][i] = ch;
            if(i == numChars-1){
              newList->words[(newList->len)][numChars] = '\0';
            }
          }else{
            continue;
          }
      }
      //debug
      printf("%s\n",newList->words[newList->len]);
      //increase length of wordlist
      newList->len += 1;
    }
  }
  qsort(newList->words, newList->len, sizeof(Word), cmp);
  return newList;
}

playground tough fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 12, 2015

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

OneEightHundred posted:

Speaking of build stuff, why is it that the Unix-like solution to static libraries is still to throw all of the .o files into an archive instead of doing something like running it through the linker to generate a new ELF file and nuke all of the ODR redundancies?

The fundamental assumption of a static library is that you want to bring in exactly those object files that you actually need. There's no such as a redundancy if it's unknown what symbols, and hence object files, you'll actually want. At best you could drop entire object files as completely redundant. The linker has no concept of the ODR.

Most linkers provide some way to do an "incremental" link, i.e. combining a bunch of object files into a bigger object file. This is much more analogous to what happens with a shared library.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

rjmccall posted:

There's no such as a redundancy if it's unknown what symbols, and hence object files, you'll actually want.
There's redundancy from COMDATs and strings. I guess a better question would be, what's the advantage to shared libs being archives instead of ld -r output or similar?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Is there any (preferably sane) way to have Windows and Linux computers work together using OpenMPI? I am using MSMPI on Windows.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

There's redundancy from COMDATs and strings. I guess a better question would be, what's the advantage to shared libs being archives instead of ld -r output or similar?

One obvious one is that it's the status quo.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

OneEightHundred posted:

There's redundancy from COMDATs and strings.

It's not redundancy because you're not necessarily linking in all the object files. If you are, I agree that you would be better off using incremental linking, and then just dropping that file inside an archive. But the whole point of static libraries is that there are significant code-size and build-time advantages to structuring your library so that statically linking against it automatically omits functionality you're not using.

OneEightHundred posted:

I guess a better question would be, what's the advantage to shared libs being archives instead of ld -r output or similar?

Shared libraries are much closer to ld -r output than archives, since inherently you bring in the entire library whenever you use it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

rjmccall posted:

Shared libraries are much closer to ld -r output than archives, since inherently you bring in the entire library whenever you use it.
I fat-fingered that, what I meant to ask was what the advantage was in static libraries being archives rather than ld -r output.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

OneEightHundred posted:

I fat-fingered that, what I meant to ask was what the advantage was in static libraries being archives rather than ld -r output.

rjmccall posted:

It's not redundancy because you're not necessarily linking in all the object files. If you are, I agree that you would be better off using incremental linking, and then just dropping that file inside an archive. But the whole point of static libraries is that there are significant code-size and build-time advantages to structuring your library so that statically linking against it automatically omits functionality you're not using.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I don't really follow why that's the case though. The individual object files are going to contain unused functionality too. What's the difference between omitting unused parts of object files that are linked and omitting entire files? Why do you get faster links or smaller code from an archive of object files than a single object that contains the same information but without the COMDAT/string duplications?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

For starters, the unused parts of object files aren't omitted.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

OneEightHundred posted:

I don't really follow why that's the case though. The individual object files are going to contain unused functionality too. What's the difference between omitting unused parts of object files that are linked and omitting entire files?
The linker doesn't link all objects in an archive, just those that satisfy an unresolved symbol. Further, libraries (e.g., libc) are typically structured so that each translation unit contains a single non-static function. So in practice you end up only linking in the routines actually used by your program, which in the case of general purpose libraries, may be just a fraction of the total supported by the library.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
In addition to all that, while some linkers perform dead-stripping of the final linked image, that does have its limits. For example, once they're included in the image, static constructors and destructors cannot be removed and, hence, act as roots that pin anything they use. Often, such constructors are only needed to set up some specific feature or make it more efficient. In a properly-designed static library, the constructor will be in an object file that's only linked in if the feature is used.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So I have a problem with building a CUDA project.

I'm trying to parallelize a physics engine without having to massively rewrite my code, so I want to add in directives to define my factions as #define CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER __host__ __device__ in order to reduce the amount of code duplication.

Basically I want my .cu files to call methods from my .h headers.

For example:
test.h
code:

#include <iostream>

#ifdef __CUDACC__
	#define CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER __host__ __device__
	#else
	#define CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER
	#endif

class helloWorld
	{
	public:
		CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER helloWorld() {};
		CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER void boo();

//__host__ __device__ helloWorld() {};
		//__host__ __device__ void boo();
	};
test.cpp
code:
	#include "test.h"

void helloWorld::boo()
	{

}
test.cuh
code:
	#pragma once
	#include <cuda.h>
	#include "cuda_runtime.h"
	#include "device_launch_parameters.h"

class test
	{
	private:
		int SIZE;
	public:
		test();
	};
test.cu
code:
	#include "test.h"
	#include "test.cuh"

__global__ void myAddKernel(helloWorld* hw, int *c, const int *a, const int *b, int n)
	{
		int i = blockIdx.x*blockDim.x + threadIdx.x;

if (i < n)
		{
			//hw->boo();
			c[i] = a[i] + b[i];

}
	}

test::test()
	{
		SIZE = 1024;

helloWorld* hello = new helloWorld();

}
The line hw->boo(); produces the following error:

quote:

Error 42 error MSB3721: The command ""C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v7.5\bin\nvcc.exe" -gencode=arch=compute_20,code=\"sm_20,compute_20\" --use-local-env --cl-version 2013 -ccbin "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64" -I\Dependencies\ -I"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v7.5\include" -I"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v7.5\include" -I"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v7.5\include" -G --keep-dir x64\Debug -maxrregcount=0 --machine 64 --compile -cudart static -g -DWIN32 -DWIN64 -D_DEBUG -D_CONSOLE -D_MBCS -Xcompiler "/EHsc /W3 /nologo /Od /Zi /RTC1 /MDd " -o x64\Debug\test.cu.obj "H:\Projects\Concordia\COMP 426 - Multicore Programming\bPhysicsEngine2D\bPhysicsEngine2D\bPhysicsEngine2D\test.cu"" exited with code 255. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\BuildCustomizations\CUDA 7.5.targets 604 9 bPhysicsEngine2D

Googling shows my problem seems to be different from all others. If I comment out that line it compiles fine. If I rewrite it to not bother with .h/.cpp and just use .cuh/.cu then it also compiles and works.

But I would very much like to use regular C++ h/cpp files for time saving reasons.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Raenir Salazar posted:

So I have a problem with building a CUDA project.

I'm trying to parallelize a physics engine without having to massively rewrite my code, so I want to add in directives to define my factions as #define CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER __host__ __device__ in order to reduce the amount of code duplication.

Basically I want my .cu files to call methods from my .h headers.

For example:
test.h
code:

#include <iostream>

#ifdef __CUDACC__
	#define CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER __host__ __device__
	#else
	#define CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER
	#endif

class helloWorld
	{
	public:
		CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER helloWorld() {};
		CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER void boo();

//__host__ __device__ helloWorld() {};
		//__host__ __device__ void boo();
	};
test.cpp
code:
	#include "test.h"

void helloWorld::boo()
	{

}
test.cuh
code:
	#pragma once
	#include <cuda.h>
	#include "cuda_runtime.h"
	#include "device_launch_parameters.h"

class test
	{
	private:
		int SIZE;
	public:
		test();
	};
test.cu
code:
	#include "test.h"
	#include "test.cuh"

__global__ void myAddKernel(helloWorld* hw, int *c, const int *a, const int *b, int n)
	{
		int i = blockIdx.x*blockDim.x + threadIdx.x;

if (i < n)
		{
			//hw->boo();
			c[i] = a[i] + b[i];

}
	}

test::test()
	{
		SIZE = 1024;

helloWorld* hello = new helloWorld();

}
The line hw->boo(); produces the following error:

Googling shows my problem seems to be different from all others. If I comment out that line it compiles fine. If I rewrite it to not bother with .h/.cpp and just use .cuh/.cu then it also compiles and works.

But I would very much like to use regular C++ h/cpp files for time saving reasons.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

You should post to https://devtalk.nvidia.com/ if you haven't already.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I crossposted to reddit, but I have learned something new though:

If Boo() is defined inline in my .h file as

CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER void boo() { };

Then it compiles.

But defining it 'properly'

CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER void helloWorld::boo()
{

}

And I get the same error?

e: Posted to the nvidia forums now too.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 16, 2015

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

I crossposted to reddit, but I have learned something new though:

If Boo() is defined inline in my .h file as

CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER void boo() { };

Then it compiles.

But defining it 'properly'

CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER void helloWorld::boo()
{

}

And I get the same error?

e: Posted to the nvidia forums now too.

Oh OK, I think I see what's going on. My CUDA is rusty so I may be wrong on this, but I think the issue here may be that CUDA won't compile/link the CPP objects (which makes sense, since CL should be handling the CPP files, and the CUDA compiler builds the CU ones). When you inline in the header like that it's getting pulled into both so you're good.

I'm not sure if there's a convenient way around that, but I think if you want to be calling those functions from device code, they need to be have implementations in the CUDA side of things, as well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
According to reddit:

quote:

OK, so here's your problem. There's a compiler switch "-x cu" that tells the compiler to treat everything as a CUDA file. If you don't use that switch, nvcc uses the file extension to determine whether to compile as CUDA or standard c/c++.

Hopefully this works! I'll try it out when I'm home after work.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

According to reddit:

Hopefully this works! I'll try it out when I'm home after work.

Ahh there you go -- I thought there was some mechanism in place for doing that sort of thing (since cross-compiling existing codebases is a big thing in CUDA).

What Reddit did you post that to, btw? I'm kind of uninformed about a lot of the GPGPU communities out there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
To r/CUDA/ but now strangely the individual just posted that he got it to work but in a way that doesn't seem to match up with what I wanted:

quote:

//test.cu

#include "test.h"
#include "test.cuh"

__global__ void myAddKernel(helloWorld* hw ...) {
hw->boo();
}

CUDA_CALLABLE_MEMBER void helloWorld::boo() { }

test::test() {
SIZE = 1024;
helloWorld* hw = new helloWorld();
}

Here he has boo() implemented in the .cu file when I'd really like to keep it in a .cpp file as I don't want my project to be permanently a cuda project but just temporarily CUDA until I have to do it in OpenCL (As it's a school multicore programming project). I hope he meant "working" without having to use -x cu.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

To r/CUDA/ but now strangely the individual just posted that he got it to work but in a way that doesn't seem to match up with what I wanted:

Here he has boo() implemented in the .cu file when I'd really like to keep it in a .cpp file as I don't want my project to be permanently a cuda project but just temporarily CUDA until I have to do it in OpenCL (As it's a school multicore programming project). I hope he meant "working" without having to use -x cu.

Worse comes to worst, you could always make a dummy .CU file and #include your CPP code there :unsmigghh:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hubis posted:

Worse comes to worst, you could always make a dummy .CU file and #include your CPP code there :unsmigghh:

I wish I thought of this sooner. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
And sadly I ran out of time and need to shift over to work on the next assignment (Implementing the engine in OpenCL).

Problems I encountered while trying to convert to CUDA:

1. I had this nested for loop for testing for collisions; I had thought of a couple of ways potentially untangling it to implement in a kernel. Such as taking an array of all possible collisions and then returning an array of only the valid collisions, but returning an array of an unknown size isn't something I experimented with yet.

2. A *lot* of my code used STL::VECTOR which is a host function and can't be called from device code, I didn't discover this until too late to write my own thread safe push_back function for an array.

3. I use a weird jump table trick call the appropriate collision function but it has to be static which CUDA doesn't like, so I needed to rewrite that too.

It's really frustrating working full time and trying to study at the same time. One more "Day" of work I probably could have gotten it.

Hopefully OpenCL presents me a few less headaches. :)

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Coming back to C++ after a many years working in C#, and trying to get back on my feet. I really like C#'s try idiom, i.e.:

code:
public static bool TryParse(string s, out int result);
Note that result *must* be assigned to before this method returns, i.e. it's not an error to pass an uninitialized variable to this function. What's the idiomatic way to get this behavior in C++? The obvious solution would be:

code:
public bool TryParse(string s, int& result);

void method() { int i; if(!TryParse("someString", i) { ... } ... }
But for complex types I don't want the default initialization of i.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 20, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Instead of returning a bool and taking a reference argument, return a std::optional<int> or whatever.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

If you like C# idioms then you're going to want to strangle someone when you find out what happens when you try to read a value from an STL map by indexing it with a non-existent key.

Anyway the idiomatic way of doing "try" equivalents depends on what's doing it.

For containers, the idiomatic way is generally to have a container.find(whatever) that returns an iterator which compares equal to container.end() if the element doesn't exist, and is otherwise safe to dereference.

For streams, the stream sets badbit or failbit on the stream object if an IO or formatting operation fails.

Of course, if you're doing your own implementation, then nothing is stopping you from just implementing methods using the "try" idiom.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 20, 2015

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ralith posted:

Instead of returning a bool and taking a reference argument, return a std::optional<int> or whatever.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

OneEightHundred posted:

If you like C# idioms then you're going to want to strangle someone when you find out what happens when you try to read a value from an STL map by indexing it with a non-existent key.
You want the 'at' method.

Good rule of thumb for standard C++ and major libraries in general: If something seems obviously missing, it's probably there under another name, and you should go check the documentation to find out what that name is.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OneEightHundred posted:

Funny enough, in C# I always use the TryGet(...) accessors because I don't want to have to worry about if I'm going to get back null or throw an exception.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Ralith posted:

You want the 'at' method.
I know that exists, I just hate the index operator. It's a terrible fit for a language that can't distinguish between indexing for read and indexing for write, since it lets people write code that unintentionally and silently inserts when they should have been using "find" or "at" so their missing-key reads blow up instead of filling the map with garbage. I've had to fix bugs caused by that multiple times.

Its functionality should have been implemented as another "insert" overload, if at all.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Chuu posted:

The obvious solution would be:

code:
public bool TryParse(string s, int& result);

void method() { int i; if(!TryParse("someString", i) { ... } ... }

A better solution is

code:
bool TryParse(string s, int *result_out);
Don't use non-const references. (Except where you're supposed to.)

(I don't know what you mean by public, why would that be a method at all?)

Edit: Also, even for reasonable complex types, the default initialization is usually quite fine. Especially if you're willing to copy or move it by returning a std::optional.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 20, 2015

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

nielsm posted:

Your function prototypes for the thread main functions are wrong. A pthreads thread function also takes a parameter, that is pointer-sized, and contains data passed to the pthread_create call. You should really use the correct function prototype, avoid having to typecast the function pointer, and be able to have just one single "pirate" thread. That is, pass each thread as parameter how many pearls it can take, and what its name is.

Vanadium posted:

Do you really need both a mutex and a condition variable to wait on the "occupied" value? Doesn't the mutex being locked already model the condition that only one pirate (thread) can be in the cave (critical section)?

I think your problem in Incorrect.c might just be that you're doing "occupied = 1; if (occupied == 1) {"? Like, each thread is gonna block itself. Otherwise it looks about right.

Also please compile with warnings. :sun:

I asked for help in here with an OS assignment involving threading. I don't think I ever said thanks for your help. I ended up slimming down my code to two simple functions, one for 15% and the other 10%.

Anyways, I had someone ask me for help today printing out a singly linked list alphabetically without actually sorting the nodes in the list. His code had overloaded operators for comparing strings between the nodes. I couldn't for the life of me come up with an efficient way of doing this (IE - not using a temporary array or a bunch of pointers). Would anyone mind giving me a guiding hand here?I feel line this should be a fairly easy problem for me to solve but I can't and it's killing me.

I couldn't come up with an implementation that made sense though. Here's roughly the idea I was going for in pseudocode. My biggest issue was figuring out how to delete the minimum node in the list. Another method I thought of was just changing the minimum value in the list to garbage (ie - "ZZZZ") so it's not found on another cycle. But changing data in the list would require creating a temporary list which doesn't sound very efficient.

code:
Node *minVal
Node *temp
temp = head; 

int numEntries = 0; 

while(temp != null) // Find the # of entries in the list 
{
	numEntries++;
	temp = temp->next; 
}

For(int i = 0; i < numEntries; i++) // Want to print all nodes in alphabetical order. 
{
	temp = head; 
	minVal = head. 

while(temp!=Null) // cycle through the linked list to find min value. 
	{
		if(minVal->song < temp->song)
		{
			//update the min value
		}
		temp = temp->next; 

}
	cout << the minvalue
	// eliminate the minNode printed from the list to prevent it from being found again. 
}
Could someone tell me this problem is easy, call me an idiot so I can move on with my life?

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 20, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

sarehu posted:

Don't use non-const references. (Except where you're supposed to.)
There's nothing wrong with mutable references in appropriate, unambiguous places.

sarehu posted:

Edit: Also, even for reasonable complex types, the default initialization is usually quite fine. Especially if you're willing to copy or move it by returning a std::optional.
Default initialization can be very expensive while moving remains cheap, and (N)RVO should generally preclude any copy or move whatsoever regardless.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Ralith posted:

There's nothing wrong with mutable references in appropriate, unambiguous places.

Yeah, i.e. on the left side of a += operator. And for functions like a range-based for_each, where the mutability is passed through to a user-supplied lambda. And some other enumerated set of use cases.

Not for general purpose use.

Ralith posted:

Default initialization can be very expensive while moving remains cheap

How? I can imagine it being true for a contrived type, like a not-null shared pointer, but realistically, how?

Edit: Also, the point is that if you're willing to copy or move it, it probably is fine to default construct anyway. It doesn't matter whether that particular piece of code is actually copying or moving.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 20, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

sarehu posted:

Not for general purpose use.
Clearly defined output parameters are perfectly legitimate, although output parameters in general are best avoided if possible of course.

sarehu posted:

How? I can imagine it being true for a contrived type, like a not-null shared pointer, but realistically, how?

Edit: Also, the point is that if you're willing to copy or move it, it probably is fine to default construct anyway. It doesn't matter whether that particular piece of code is actually copying or moving.
Anything at all that allocates significant memory, for example? RAII in general makes abuse of default value as "no value" awkward at best. As such, being willing to move something does not mean you're willing to default construct it. You also shouldn't treat "copy or move" as if they're interchangable. And again, (N)RVO means that returning an object will not typically involve either.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The point is, your movable types are probably not allocating significant memory (or any) in the default constructor. The copyable ones probably aren't either. Look at a bunch of classes that are copyable and see if they allocate memory. Some might, and they are the exception -- usually such types should be noncopyable (and nonmovable).

Ralith posted:

Clearly defined output parameters are perfectly legitimate, although output parameters in general are best avoided if possible of course.

Using a pointer is obviously better, because you have to make it look like an output parameter at the callsite.

And why should output parameters be avoided? There is no reason to say that.

Maybe you think that because you're used to output parameters that use non-const references.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Since i can't sleep, i came up with this inefficient abomination O(n*n). Seems to work though:

code:
void printsorted(node* root) {
    string min = "";
    string cur_min = "";
    node* temp = root;

while (temp) {
        min = "";

while (temp) {
            if (min.empty() && cur_min.empty()) { //our first time here??
                min = temp->str; 
            }
            else
            if ((min.empty() && temp->str > cur_min) 
                || (min > temp->str && temp->str > cur_min)) {
                min = temp->str;
            }
            temp = temp->next;
        }
        cur_min = min;
        cout << cur_min << endl;
        if (min.empty()) break;

temp = root;
    } 
}
The only important part in here is that second if statement:
code:
  if ((min.empty() && temp->str > cur_min) 
                || (min > temp->str && temp->str > cur_min))
Which reads as:
If min hasn't been assigned yet and the current value is greater than the current running minimum OR min is greater than the current value and the current value is greater than the current running minimum, set min to the current value.

Essentially it looks for the smallest value that's greater than the current running minimum (which is the greatest minimum found so far). But is not efficient speed wise. Simpler to just sort the drat thing using one of the many available sorting algorithms.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Sorry, why is a pointer better than a non-combat reference for things that can't be NULL?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Hubis posted:

Sorry, why is a pointer better than a non-combat reference for things that can't be NULL?

The argument is that being explicit about out parameters is beneficial for code readability. Code like if (function(&foo, bar, baz)) is a clear idiom for an operation that can fail, that returns via a pointer passed as the first parameter. It's an ideological debate like whether vim is better than emacs. That is to say, there is one correct answer: vim, and using pointers for out parameters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Hubis posted:

For parameters, mostly the lack of syntactic difference between pass-by-value and pass-by-reference mentioned above.

For variables, the fact that they're unmodifiable.