Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't need it, I don't need it.

BUT I WANT IT.

Edit: He comes with Yurusen god drat it's CUTE

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's pretty well-made.

Did his series get any better? I left early on because I didn't have that much free time and it was boring the hell out of me. And I'm okay with one toku of debatable quality at a time.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's pretty well-made.

Did his series get any better? I left early on because I didn't have that much free time and it was boring the hell out of me. And I'm okay with one toku of debatable quality at a time.

It's not good yet, no. The most interesting thing is that Takeru is kind of an even wimpier Kouta.

That reminds me that I am not sure; do we really know how kids in Japan feel about Toku stuff? Like that's the target audience. Most people in this thread have serious issues with how Takaharu is portrayed, but is that matched in Japan? Like do they actually find Ninninger's protagonists interesting or something?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't need it, I don't need it.

BUT I WANT IT.

Edit: He comes with Yurusen god drat it's CUTE

Yeah, I do need this.

Also, Ghost is Ok, it's not good, it's not bad, it's watchable, but pretty standard so far.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Beethoven so far has the best Eyecon jingle, and Yurusen is an adorable ghost.

Time will tell if Ghost gets more solid, but there are both neat action dealios, and plot threads to be unraveled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yurusen is adorable and doesn't care about human life at all.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Stallion Cabana posted:

It's not good yet, no. The most interesting thing is that Takeru is kind of an even wimpier Kouta.

no Takeru is definitely better than Kouta, he's observing the world around him and learning from it. I think he has potential, though he won't be as good as Drive or W.

I'd say it's not good yet but they're being really coy about setting up obvious plot threads, give it 10 more episodes or so and once it starts answering the questions it keeps raising it might be better.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yurusen is adorable and doesn't care about human life at all.

"who gives a poo poo about that giant chunk of city about to crash into the earth, we've got plastic eyeballs to collect"

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I think Ghost is GOING to be good, it's just front-loading most of the setup that normally takes most toku shows like 25 episodes to get across.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think he just needs to find his core motivation that isn't saving his own rear end. I'm reserving judgment on the show until then.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think Ghost is really being helped by the fact that they've (at the moment) abandoned the two-episode structure. It would be a lot less tolerable if the past few episodes had been stretched into two-parters.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So in the spirit of Thanksgiving and Christmas and mostly because I want to as celebration for Bioman nearing completion- Gather round everybody! It's time for the origins of Burk and his love for Toku and Bioman in particular!

So for the first four months of my existence I was believed to be an ulcer, then I was born a full month later than I was supposed to, and then I caught scarlet fever shortly there after.

None of those are jokes and all of that is true.

I pretty well have to start that early, because I have been a fan of tokusatsu for longer than I can remember. Mostly thanks to my grandfather being a big Godzilla fan, I was introduced to it at basically infancy and have never really strayed. Godzilla is the alpha and omega of so much of my interests and obsessions- I know for a fact that the reason I watched MMPR initially was because of Godzilla. The Dragon Zord was my favorite thing in that show but I also just loved the giant monsters and robots fighting it out. I remember being less interested in episodes at the time when the Dragon Zord WOULDN'T be in it and I wanted a Dragon Zord toy for Christmas for many, many, many years. Never did get one.

Regardless! As I grew older I grew to love Power Rangers for just being Power Rangers and not just my Dragonzord affections, though Godzilla would still tie me into the toku genre as a whole many more times later. When I was still but a child in the 90s, there was a Monstervision Godzilla Marathon that my dad recorded for me on an 8 hour VHS tape. It got me a whole bunch of Godzilla movies I had never seen, and at the end of that tape were three episodes of my now favorite Super hero in the world- UltraSeven.

I was hooked on UltraSeven but wasn't able to catch anymore episodes because of how weird TNT scheduled their poo poo. So for the next decade that tape was my sole glimpse into tokusatsu that existed beyond the Fox channel.

Ultraman Tiga caught my eye because it reminded me a LOT of UltraSeven and got me to look up info on it on the Internets in the super early 2000s- it never occurred to me to do so before the. I joined a Godzilla fan forum, got involved in the community, and met a like minded toku nerd. Well I met several but one in particular is to blame here.

It was the mid 2000s and I was looking up stuff about various weird and wonderful sounding Tokustatsu series, but all I had was dial up so actually watching any of them was, to say the least, difficult. So that friend I made on the forum and I got to talking and we decided to do some trading and stuff.

He sent me DVDs he made of various VHS transfers he had, including some movies I hadn't heard of before, but most importantly some episodes of UltraSeven the TNT dub that I didn't get to see back in the day and some MST3K.

On one of the discs, he included the only episode of Super Sentai he had, an English Dubbed version of Bioman.

It was one of my favorite things ever and it would be YEARS before I could see more. I enjoy good violence, creative villains, cool monsters, and fun action in my super hero work. It's one reason why UltraSeven is the king of it all.

I don't care if the story is particularly deep so long as it is fun and inoffensive. Bioman presented a near perfect first episode to me, with great foot soldiers, instantly interesting main villains, and fairly interesting main heroes. Plus fire swords, flying rigs, and an extended giant robot throw down.

It was everything I ever wanted and asked for from a Super Sentai or Power Ranger series. The dub wasn't entirely terrible either, considerably more serious than the UltraSeven dub, if with worse voice actors.

From here I looked into various places where I could find other tokusatsu series online- I slowly but surely downloaded the first episode of Kamen Rider Fiaz from TvN, which I remember taking literally a month or more due to dial up bullshit.

Then I found a website that sold bootleg DVDs of toku stuff, and the first things I got from it were an English subbed 90s UltraSeven movie, part of the 99 UltraSeven Evolution series, and my first real Kamen Rider- ZO!

After that I nabbed Kamen Rider Black and Space Sheriff Sharivan, the former of which became a favorite of mine and the latter, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, was nigh unwatchable. The last thing I grabbed from that website was the 2001-2002 portion of the UltraSeven Evolution series, also English Subbed.

Finally near the late end of 2009, I got actual internet that wasn't loving Dial Up, and I got to look into all of those series I had read about for years and years but never gotten to see like a really fat goon in a bacon and candy store.

One of the very first I tracked down was, of course, more English dubbed Bioman. I also tried to get into Jetman which I heard many great things about, though the subs for it at the time were apparently worse than TvN from what I remember reading so I never bothered with it much.

Then years later I discovered GUIS fansubs and others and their Sentai work. The rest is history.

Bioman is seriously, to me, the perfect 1980s Sentai. The only real knock against it is a lack of MOTW...but instead it had long running villains and a different giant robot monster every episode. The character work isn't great, but it doesn't really have to be especially compared to other shows of the era. The team exudes competence and the villains are just as competent and menacing. Bio Hunter Silva is a fantastic out of nowhere threat to throw into the mix that exploits continuity in a pretty fun way that wouldn't become common until much later. None of the characters are particularly annoying, and even the comic relief villains can be extremely cool and have some very awesome traits, like loyalty.

It's also decidedly the first real actually Serious Super Sentai, completing the step away from the overt silliness that Dynaman began the march from. Everything is played straight and it's a glorious fun show because of it.

It might not be the best Sentai, but it is my favorite because I can enjoy every episode without hesitation.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2015/11/18/14870/

Hey Japan. Don't screw this up. Please vote for Marika and Bravo. :)

(How are the Gaim Gaidens anyway? Worth watching?)

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Bioman 45 is out

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Dexie posted:

Zangetsu/Baron was actually pretty good but I'm a sucker for new Arms and both of those had new arms; Watermelon Zangetsu and Ringo Baron.

I have no idea about Duke/Knuckle because it's not translated.

And yes if it's not Bravo/Whoever it's miserable because Oren is the best thing in that show probably.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexie posted:

Gaidens are worth watching. We get more Melon and the horrible backstory of Yggdrasil. There's also Kaito in the Prince and the Pauper and his backstory.

Marika deserves a feature. Not only just because female Riders need more respect. Bravo would be a nice and amusing balance and we'd probably get to see him be badass from his pre-patisserie days. Guridon might be worth it too if only as an alternative to Bravo who'd play a big part. Ryugen or Gaim I'd be okay with, but not thrilled. Even less so with Kurogane. Jam seems like a joke option.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't even get why Gaim is a choice. He had a whole series, leave the Gaidens for the more minor Riders. And Jam is...why? Will anyone seriously vote for him?

I'm also definitely rooting for Bravo and Marika. Though Gridon would be neat too, and I wouldn't complain about Ryugen considering he's the only one of the non-Kouta mains to lack his own Gaiden.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Bioman 46 is out

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You guys just want me to do an episode by episode love review of this show don't you

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

You guys just want me to do an episode by episode love review of this show don't you

Podcasters With Attitude Retro Edition?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lots of new Garo stuff coming!

quote:

The first project announced is a show entitled GARO – Retsuden (“Biographies”. The kanji for retsu is written 烈, which means “intense”). It was announced that it will include characters from the show’s history. It will begin airing in Spring 2016.

The second project announced is a new ZERO TV series, which will air in 2016 and once again star Ray Fujita as the title character. Ray Fujita portrayed ZERO in the original Garo series and its sequel, GARO: Makai Senki, before starring in the six episode ZERO: Black Blood miniseries in 2014.

Finally, an anime movie that will feature the characters from Garo: The Animation series (Garo: Honou no Kokuin / GARO: Divine Flame). Voice actor, Daisuke Namikawa and others will return to their roles. The director of the series, Yuichiro Hayashi, will also be returning to work on the movie.

Oddly enough, no Raiga movie as I expected to actually give an ending to his awesome series, but I guess Retsuden will be doing that considering what little we know of its premise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yes, more of the good garou anime! As always, too bad about that second season.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Garo's first anime was average at best apart from the parts involving Gaia for the first cours, it only picked up and became really great in the second half.

As a result I'm kind of expecting the same to happen here at the current pace of the show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This week's Ninninger wasn't too bad though based on the previous crossovers I was kind of hoping Tsubasa would get more than just a brief cameo. Speaking of which, based on recent scans it looks like the next Sentai/Tokusatsu alumni to appear will be Shurikenger from Hurricanger (the orginal one, not the kid from the 10 Years After movie).

With all the various crossovers currently happening in Ninninger so far it makes me think that Toei might just be getting the whole anniversary celebration stuff out of the way early and Juuouger will be a more self-contained season like Gaoranger was with a Vs Super Sentai movie included to handle the anniversary aspect. Honestly I'd be fine with that, they don't need to go Gokaiger-level big again until at least the 50th anniversary.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 25, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, there's no way they're gonna go full Gokaiger again this soon; so getting occasional crossovers and one big vs. movie next year will be perfect.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Last five episodes of Liveman are out

Now those old .avi files of an even older Toei Channel broadcast can go in the trash where they belong.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cool, now where's more Gavan?!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

It would help if you asked someone involved with Gavan in any way, instead of a group of people who aren't.

I mean, it wouldn't help get them any faster, or make them like you any more, but at least you'd be pissing up the correct rope?

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Grom GUIS? It's a Metal Heroes series that isn't Spielban, so Shir wouldn't touch it unless he was getting paid.
From Bunny Hat Subs? Never. We dropped it as a sub project years ago.
From Bunny Hat Raws? When Toei either makes more Gavan, or finally gets around to remastering that show.
From MFC? My involvement began and ended years ago when I made the raws they're using.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Wasn't Gavan already finished? Also I'm assuming this is a joke post

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Millionfold started to release Gavan subs. So far we just have the first 6 episodes from them.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

AzraelNewtype posted:

It would help if you asked someone involved with Gavan in any way, instead of a group of people who aren't.

I mean, it wouldn't help get them any faster, or make them like you any more, but at least you'd be pissing up the correct rope?

Aw, cut me some slack, I like pissing up ropes.

Non-comedy answer: Apologies, forgot you guys get a lot of poo poo from the spergiest of spergs, so comedy isn't always obvious or welcome. Any ideas on what you'd like to do after Liveman, cause these have been really great!

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
We're doing Changeman and Flashman after we get the remaining Bioman episodes out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FortMax posted:

We're doing Changeman and Flashman after we get the remaining Bioman episodes out.

Changeman I'm not AS excited about because tehre are some decent subs done by DeadFish that I happen to still have.

Flashman I am ecstatic about

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FortMax posted:

oh poo poo i thought mfc was doing flashman

dope as hell tho

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FortMax posted:

Weren't you guys also working on Fiveman at some point? Any plans on starting that back up?

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Larryb posted:

Weren't you guys also working on Fiveman at some point? Any plans on starting that back up?

Fiveman has been dropped. (That was with the TL from Elite Justice)

ALSO:
I really like the design of Bee Cowgirl from this week's Ghost. Also: plot stuff finally happened!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FortMax posted:

Fiveman has been dropped. (That was with the TL from Elite Justice)

ALSO:
I really like the design of Bee Cowgirl from this week's Ghost. Also: plot stuff finally happened!

I noticed she had her own Eye belt. I know the mooks have their own belt, but did the other main Ganma have their own variation of the eye-belt?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
It's too bad Specter's gonna get a redemption arc, this week was the best secondary-Rider antagonizing I think I've seen at all.

HEARD YOU WERE GONNA FIGHT SOMEONE, NOT ON MY WATCH

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 25, 2015

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So, this week's Ghost was pretty drat good. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Using the number of episodes necessary for a given story is such a nice change.

• Locked thread