Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Slimnoid posted:

No, those are pretty fine to rank up. What I meant was...

Those. They were still current when the Hordes of Chaos book came out back in 6th; it wasn't until some time in 7th iirc that they got replaced by the ball-socket ones.

Imagine trying to make sense of THIS clusterfuck:

Yeah, this was the first time I had to paint rank and row numbers on the bottom of the bases so that I could get them to rank every time. These were the first multi-part kits for Chaos and were definitely a 6e release, I want to say around 2002-2003. Before that, the Chaos warriors were single piece figures with a bit of a paunch. I might still have one in a box somewhere that I got with a painting set circa 1997.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I love those Chaos Warriors. Never owned any, so I don't know about the ranking issues, but I had the same problems with my old school 5th ed Clanrats with the separate tails that always got in the way. Still love those little fuckers, though.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Ball-and-socket Chaos Warriors were released for Storm of Chaos in 6th, when Archaon tried to invade the Empire. I remember it really well since it was the last major fantasy event I played in. I couldn't afford to get the rulebooks for 7th :shobon:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

FrostyPox posted:

I love those Chaos Warriors. Never owned any, so I don't know about the ranking issues, but I had the same problems with my old school 5th ed Clanrats with the separate tails that always got in the way. Still love those little fuckers, though.

They definitely got the more baroque elements of chaos down with those guys, but they were so awful to rank up that I ended up just using them for bitz on other models.

spectralent posted:

Ball-and-socket Chaos Warriors were released for Storm of Chaos in 6th, when Archaon tried to invade the Empire. I remember it really well since it was the last major fantasy event I played in. I couldn't afford to get the rulebooks for 7th :shobon:

I stand corrected!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Some day I will have amassed enough 5th Edition WHFB minis to play games with just period appropriate figures.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Some day I will have amassed enough 5th Edition WHFB minis to play games with just period appropriate figures.

I've actually been sniping some 5e books lately because even though I know it's awful I still kind of like good old herohammer. I figure I have a complete set of Warhammer Magic sitting in a closet, I might as well use it. It's not like there's an official edition of Warhammer I should be playing anyway and if I want to play a serious fantasy game I've got Kings of War. I'm unlikely to get any of the minis though just because of what a hassle it is. Fortunately there are enough cheap alternatives on the market that I can proxy stuff fairly well.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Slimnoid posted:

No, those are pretty fine to rank up. What I meant was...

Those. They were still current when the Hordes of Chaos book came out back in 6th; it wasn't until some time in 7th iirc that they got replaced by the ball-socket ones.

Imagine trying to make sense of THIS clusterfuck:

Oh dearie me I think I need to have a bit of a lie down, just looking at those handsome fellas gives me the vapours.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

CSM termies, just add guns.

Meanwhile, this idiot is blitzing thru 3rd edition rulebook n armies for some reason. Man did they not know how to draw an elf... or a human back then (talking about unit cards).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Len posted:

Is there a website that shows 40k models through the years? Like it would be cool to see the squads side by side from Rogue Trader on up to now.

Stuff of Legends kinda does that. It can be a bit of a pain to navigate and find specific minis sometimes but they have plenty of pics to browse through.

There's also the Collecting Citadel Miniatures Wiki though that seems more focussed on rare and weird limited edition and unreleased figures.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

Stuff of Legends kinda does that. It can be a bit of a pain to navigate and find specific minis sometimes but they have plenty of pics to browse through.

There's also the Collecting Citadel Miniatures Wiki though that seems more focussed on rare and weird limited edition and unreleased figures.

That's a pretty kickin' model. Definitely the way to go if you're making notBFG ships. I like the rounded, steampunk-y look.

The rest aren't as pretty...

I'm gonna be an ORK ship one day!

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

I really liked those Chaos Warriors and I even bougt a box of them, but I used them for my Bloodbowl team and bitz for my CSM army.

I had no idea they had ranking issues until I read a WD where a guy was collecting a Chaos army and bitched about that a lot.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

JcDent posted:

That's a pretty kickin' model. Definitely the way to go if you're making notBFG ships. I like the rounded, steampunk-y look.

I think they were from GW's earlier spaceship game pre-BFG. It was old when I got into GW so was probably released around 1990.

Edit - eh, you're saying these aren't originals. Damned similar though!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

I think they were from GW's earlier spaceship game pre-BFG. It was old when I got into GW so was probably released around 1990.

Edit - eh, you're saying these aren't originals. Damned similar though!

Space Fleet. Released in 1991. To roll to hit you had to throw your dice into the box lid which had a square grid printed on the inside. Any dice that landed in the middle square were a hit. Any that landed in the middle and rolled a 6 were criticals.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JcDent posted:

i'm the servitor that had to paint angry eyebrows on a giant spaceship

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Not quite - they released Advanced rules in White Dwarf, and all the goofy looking ships are from those updates.
It was human (Imp and Chaos) and Eldar at first, with Tyranids being added later.

I played Eldar, and as I'd painted one side of my 6x4 Black and put the grid-lines on it, I was basically unbeatable as I never had to slow down near the enemy and drop the holo-field save.

Space Fleet was one of 4 stand-alone games, with Ultra Marines, Kerrunch (Blood Bowl for beginners) and Mighty Warriors.
They where all cheap and sold in high-street shops as well !

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

On EBay for 20 bucks.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Is it listed as pro painted? I mean, I might buy an assembled drop pod for twenty if all it needs is stripping.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Helen Highwater posted:

Space Fleet. Released in 1991. To roll to hit you had to throw your dice into the box lid which had a square grid printed on the inside. Any dice that landed in the middle square were a hit. Any that landed in the middle and rolled a 6 were criticals.

Not gonna lie that sounds like a pretty quick combat system I would try.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Also from eBay.

Best to just leave it on eBay.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

PantsOptional posted:

Is it listed as pro painted? I mean, I might buy an assembled drop pod for twenty if all it needs is stripping.

There's a reason I didn't drop a link and its because I am going to buy it for my Skitarii army. Easier to buy it for cheaper than GW price AND already assembled? Please.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I do not know what it is. Yet it calls to me with its welcoming smile.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AndyElusive posted:

Also from eBay.

Best to just leave it on eBay.

Holy poo poo, it's Killface

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Holy poo poo, it's Killface
Goddamnit, that's all I see now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

A couple of years ago I got really stuck in to online old miniature resources while trying to identify the models from a large collection a friend gave me that includes models from the 1970s through 80s, plus the oldest models in my own collection. I had the two above wikis bookmarked specifically for Citadel. But just in case anyone's interested, here are a couple more "researching old minis" links:

Lost Minis Wiki is by far the most useful. It includes a selection of some of the rarest/oldest Citadel, but the bulk of the site focuses on a huge range of minis from dozens of old and sometimes very obscure makers.
Of particular use on that site is the base markings guide, which I found to be a critical point for narrowing down the manufacturer of an old miniature.

The Citadel section also has a useful list of catalogs, including a breakdown of the Armory's Buyer's Guide from 1983: I have an original copy of this guide, and it's a fantastic resource. Most of the minis are hand-illustrated instead of photographed!

Finally, D&D Lead collects scans of catalogs and other listings of old minis, mostly focusing on stuff that people used for tabletop D&D games. The Catalogs and Downloads page is especially useful because you can download PDFs of a bunch of old printed minis catalogs, including the complete line of Ral Partha catalogs back to 1978, which was the first year Ral Partha made fantasy minis. There is one Citadel resource there, the Citadel Compendium {PDF}, a catalog from 1983 that includes quite a lot of absolutely classic GW rules stuff: fantasy and science fiction rules that vaguely resemble what eventually came out in Warhammer Fantasy Battles (1983) and Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader (1987). Beginning on page 22 are drawings of some of Citadel's oldest miniatures, too. Page 40 has Runequest minis! The drawings must have taken ages to do, it's amazing to think that this was somehow cheaper than printing photographs of their models... although there are photos of some models, beginning on page 41.

Look, just... if you don't care about any of the rest of the stuff I'm linking, just download that PDF and take a browse. It's amazing.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 12, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh wow that was back when Warhammer had loot drop tables and letters for stats

way before my time

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

The drawings must have taken ages to do, it's amazing to think that this was somehow cheaper than printing photographs of their models... although there are photos of some models, beginning on page 41.

Look, just... if you don't care about any of the rest of the stuff I'm linking, just download that PDF and take a browse. It's amazing.

A lot of the drawings of minis were simply the concept sketches that the sculptors would do as references before they started actually sculpting. Another reason is that cheap printing techniques in the 1980s required very high contrast for images and line drawing were guaranteed to have that, while photographs (especially analogue ones on film) were not. Finally, there were a lot of artists kicking around GW who could knock out those kind of illustrations in very short order and who were producing those sketches for various roleplay supplements anyhow.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
https://instagram.com/p/-Ozl_6CzL_/

Bad drybrush, bad primer or both?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's just been sprayed down with a fire extinguisher by his squad as part of an ongoing joke about how often his plasma pistol overheats.

That's why he's making the "Really?" gesture.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rehosted for posterity

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If it was all a single color, that would be a interesting looking statue.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Leperflesh posted:

Rehosted for posterity

Looks like Skull White base spray in freezing temperature. Enjoy your fuzzy models!

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Gluing poo poo to a GI Joe tank != "Conversion"

Some of the highlights: sponsons with nails sticking out of a large flat surface for gun barrels, plastic bottle cap and random tube sticking out of front, and a literal d6 just glued to the back of the turret :commissar:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Hahaha 35 goddamn dollars

JcDent
May 13, 2013

secretly a baby posted:

Hahaha 35 goddamn dollars

Could probably get more if the tank hadn't been hosed up.

Love the hull mortar.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Karl Rove posted:

Gluing poo poo to a GI Joe tank != "Conversion"

Some of the highlights: sponsons with nails sticking out of a large flat surface for gun barrels, plastic bottle cap and random tube sticking out of front, and a literal d6 just glued to the back of the turret :commissar:

I'm the missile just lying on the turret roof.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

If you do it right that's a legit way of getting a super heavy tank without paying GW's ridiculous prices. I once converted a 1/48 scale T-72 into a tank about the size of a Baneblade with an IG vehicle accessory sprue and a few other IG parts. That was probably $30 tops (not including paint). I liked it, but TBH my effort was worthy of this thread.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

If you do it right that's a legit way of getting a super heavy tank without paying GW's ridiculous prices. I once converted a 1/48 scale T-72 into a tank about the size of a Baneblade with an IG vehicle accessory sprue and a few other IG parts. That was probably $30 tops (not including paint). I liked it, but TBH my effort was worthy of this thread.

I've had stupid ideas like that (I wanted a T-72 in 40K, but there's no other way). You don't have pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

No sorry. It's still at my parents place though, so I'll take some the next time I go back. But that could be a while, I live across an ocean now.