Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

:gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Congratulations, Lord Justice.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
We did it you guys, thanks. Next up: Kony 2012

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Ya'll disgust me with your non-canon pairings and hate of analysis.

Somebody turn my post into an effort post.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Ya'll disgust me with your non-canon pairings and hate of analysis.

Somebody turn my post into an effort post.

I could seriously need an effort post explaining to me why the ending of the Rebellion movie is in any way bad

I mean, literally everyone except Kyuby got something out of it (are they even still magical girls? I guess Sakaya can no longer summon opera fish monster?). Hell, Homura explicitly says that the part of Madoka saving magical girls is still around doing its job, sounds like a pretty sweet deal if you can be alive at the same time. We just don't know what bad consequences this had on Madoka's Magical Afterlife Deal.
I guess Homura is now all juiced up on stolen god power and everyone might be mad jelly if they found out? Oh and she might destroy the world for lulz once she's done with the ill-defined threat of the Wraiths, for uuuuuuuuh reasons? What? Huh? Huh?!!!?!

The ending itself is super cool and 100% something Homura would do, kudos to the writer for that, but they could've been clearer on why this is a bad thing.

Oh wait, it's cause Homura now has a creepy smile, Sakaya is just genre-savvy enough to know those fellows are always jerks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mainly because it went against Madoka's wish and she's basically an unwilling prisoner in an unstable bubble universe with altered memories (just being slightly reminded of her old life almost destroyed it).
It's a better ending than the TV series in lots of ways, just kind of dressed up as a bad one.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
The narrative doesn't give us anything to go on so it seems like the intent is for the viewer to draw an empathetic conclusion, and that makes a ton of sense imo because it correlates to the series ending, and what Madoka said to Homura. We can't possibly know what will come next or how a conflict will turn out, but just seeing the girls care about each other and try so hard to protect each other... you can put your faith into that.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Mainly because it went against Madoka's wish and she's basically an unwilling prisoner in an unstable bubble universe with altered memories (just being slightly reminded of her old life almost destroyed it).
It's a better ending than the TV series in lots of ways, just kind of dressed up as a bad one.

It's just weird. I can see why Madoka would wish for what she did at the end of the series - hell, she does almost nothing in the entire series outside arriving at the conclusion what to wish for -, but it seems to me that she shouldn't be all that opposed to being, well, "ripped apart". She still got her wish, only now she doesn't remember it, and supernaturally psychotic love is responsible for the split... It's kinda hosed up, but nothing bad on principle. After all, if magical girls succumbing to despair are still saved, why would it have to be Madoka personally rather than... uuuuuuh... whatever remains that does the job now? Which makes me think there's more to it than "just" resetting the universe to something Homura likes, where it's Blackjack and hookers all day and gently caress it, everyone dead is now alive too, show some goddamn gratitude Sakaya

Space Flower posted:

The narrative doesn't give us anything to go on so it seems like the intent is for the viewer to draw an empathetic conclusion, and that makes a ton of sense imo because it correlates to the series ending, and what Madoka said to Homura. We can't possibly know what will come next or how a conflict will turn out, but just seeing the girls care about each other and try so hard to protect each other... you can put your faith into that.

So... yeah. This. I feel like empathic conclusion is really the right word here (see what I did there :haw: ), especially since the series kinda functions on the unexplainable power of emotions (literally) anyway, and rules exist as plotpoints first and foremost. Nothing to go on, except for vaguely feeling something's off. They gave us a really good continuation of the series, something that at first seems totally unnecessary, and now it's so open-ended it's driving me mad. Just - just, like, look Shinbo, you can do as much Monogatari as you want, but you got unfinished business here

:(

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Torquemadras posted:

I could seriously need an effort post explaining to me why the ending of the Rebellion movie is in any way bad

The ending itself is super cool and 100% something Homura would do, kudos to the writer for that, but they could've been clearer on why this is a bad thing.

Oh wait, it's cause Homura now has a creepy smile, Sakaya is just genre-savvy enough to know those fellows are always jerks

The Case Against B.F. Skinner Akemi Homura
Noam ChomskyMiki Sayaka

[ . . . ]ScienceMagic has revealed that it is an illusion to speak of “freedom” and “dignity.” "hope." What a person does is fully determined by his genetic endowment contract and history of “reinforcement.” karmic weight. Therefore we should make use of the best behavioral technology reality-altering love magic to shape and control behavior in the common interest.

Homura doesn't believe that Madoka was free to choose her own path, and wants to set up a better world where Madoka don't have to feel forced to become something other than herself. But this goes against Madoka's desires, as someone who has low self-esteem and wants to be something amazing. And it goes against Sayaka's desires, as she's totally down with the idea of being an agent of the sisterhood of girls betrayed by fate. She gets to help people like herself, be the cool hero she's always wanted to be, and plus she's learned a lot about herself and grown as a person. But Homura has a vision of a world where Kyuubey's institutionalized emotional abuse is shot down fast and the girls get a second chance at growing up. The big players in this game are Homura, Sayaka, Madoka, and Nagisa I guess. Homura's world presents a chance for them to redefine themselves.

Obviously the thing that makes everything work out in the end, ethically, is the fact that Homura can't hold up her new world forever. It almost breaks the first time Madoka feels drawn to her "ultimate" self. This cues us in to the fact that Homura is not establishing some sort of tyrannical rule, and that this state of affairs is going to be temporary. The fact that the new world isn't permanent means that at best Homura is freeing everyone from the shackles of fate; at worst she's giving everyone a vacation.

So I think that if you view Rebellion's ending as a temporary state after overthrowing a previous unjust ruler, rather than as a legit dictatorship imposed by Homura, the story seems a lot less conflicted. Homura's conducting an experiment to see if a world without Kyuubey still leads to everyone accepting their previous roles. To control the variables she has to erase everyone's memories during the test, but since the "law of cycles" is going on outside it seems like those memories will return once the experiment is over. There are still ambivalent questions in the story, like "doesn't Homura need to grow up and get over her lesbian crush leaving her, isn't this sort of fixation pretty unhealthy?" and "is it okay to hold seemingly happy people against their will, even if you're doing it for their own good?" but I'm not sure if Homura's decision at the end is actually a case of freedom vs. common interest like Sayaka seems to believe.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The thing that gets me, and probably others, of Rebellion's ending is the occasional flashes of witch imagery (weird faceless figures roaming about, moon split in two, etc.) in the "real world" after Homura rips out part of Madoka. I mean, Homura fell into complete despair and went ultra-hyper-S-class witch in the crystal, and now that hopeless insanity is part of the entire universe. I know everyone gets a relatively happy ending, but the universe may well be screwed in the long term. Dunno if the normal person would want to live in a flickery bizarro weirdzone.

Kyubey got what he deserved, though. gently caress that rat.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He's going to gently caress some poo poo up in the next series though. Otherwise, what was the point of lingering on his maddened eyes like that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That wasn't anger it was fear

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jagchosis posted:

I don't think Homura got along very well Sayaka. Citation: Threatening to murder her

You fool

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Soon lord justice will join us and explain the ending of madoka. And then I will post "use less words" because I also learned nothing from the mod's challenge

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Homura's basically a super not!witch at this point; the entire universe is her barrier and in that barrier she commands tremendous influence, partly because she's somehow stolen a part of the Cycle's power. The world she's made is pretty kickass and the problem everyone has boils down to FFT's "Reality vs Fantasy" and also the issue of consent; no one's said they wanted such a world. To be fair, though, Homura did go talk with Madoka in the field of flowers and ask if she'd ever do something like sacrifice herself and Madoka said she'd be too scared to.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

That wasn't anger it was fear

It was a bunch of squiggly lines.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PerrineClostermann posted:

Homura's basically a super not!witch at this point; the entire universe is her barrier and in that barrier she commands tremendous influence, partly because she's somehow stolen a part of the Cycle's power. The world she's made is pretty kickass and the problem everyone has boils down to FFT's "Reality vs Fantasy" and also the issue of consent; no one's said they wanted such a world. To be fair, though, Homura did go talk with Madoka in the field of flowers and ask if she'd ever do something like sacrifice herself and Madoka said she'd be too scared to.

The whole point of that scene was that Homura was asking a Madoka who had no idea what the stakes were so she could hear the answer she wanted. Maybe not consciously on the latter part but still

Mordaedil posted:

It was a bunch of squiggly lines.

Aren't we all?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm feeling incredibly squiggly right now.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I PM'd Lord Justice and he doesn't feel welcome here :(

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I wonder why :cheeky:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Jagchosis posted:

Hmm.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knorth posted:

I wonder why :cheeky:

Thread lacks jouissance.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jagchosis posted:

:ohdear:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lord Justice, if you post here, I will not make fun of it, because I have blocked you and can't read your posts anyways.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 20, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That's enough ragging on someone who isn't even here to defend themselves.

This is the Madoka thread, post Madoka.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Bad Seafood posted:

That's enough ragging on someone who isn't even here to defend themselves.

This is the Madoka thread, post Madoka.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Is Madoka not a cute girl?

Was :boom: right all along?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those two girls are mean but that simply adds to their charm.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Nobody likes girls with glasses.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Super Jay Mann posted:

Heresy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Super Jay Mann posted:

The gently caress?

EDIT: Please post Mami with glasses.

SECOND EDIT: Make sure she's not mean. I don't mind mean girls but Mami should be nice and happy.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The gently caress?

EDIT: Please post Mami with glasses.

SECOND EDIT: Make sure she's not mean. I don't mind mean girls but Mami should be nice and happy.
ok

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Acceptable.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDu-2h8ZDhI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7R-oGnfkiU

There was also a mashup called 99 Problems But a Witch Ain't One but it's not up anymore.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDu-2h8ZDhI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7R-oGnfkiU

There was also a mashup called 99 Problems But a Witch Ain't One but it's not up anymore.

j/k that was very cash money of you.

e: one more

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 20, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, the video for 99 Witches had a creator-uploaded link for a DL.

http://depositfiles.com/en/files/g89nfjrwd

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

O-obama-chan?!