Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood posted:

He must also drive like a moron because 10L/100km with a C2 is crap mileage.

poo poo I thought it was the C2 Corvette, in which case that would be good mileage and I might've sent him a couple of eurobucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Noyemi K posted:

This got suspended in record time and it's definitely loving braindead.

"Estimated delivery Jan 2016."

That's a quick pregnancy.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
33 Euros is a pretty decent price- oh wait, it's for him to have sex with his girlfriend? No sale.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jpmeyer posted:

i coulda sworn someone did this and it gave us gems like "dark souls, but more like dark souls and also a roguelike".

pretty sure there's been legit kickstarters that were roguelikes and also said dark souls was a big influence despite that totally missing how the souls games are designed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Germstore posted:

33 Euros is a pretty decent price- oh wait, it's for him to have sex with his girlfriend? No sale.
Something about stretch goals.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

unpacked robinhood posted:

He must also drive like a moron because 10L/100km with a C2 is crap mileage.

Maybe his car has the brakes stuck on all the time so he has to use twice the fuel consumption :shrug:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also he's listing gas at 1.2€/L which looks like diesel prices so his car should be in the 4~6L/100 km range. He's probably a complete retard/liar

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maybe his months of near constant blue balls has restricted the blood flow to his brain?

Edit: there should be a simple maths test section of the Kickstarter project creation process that locks people out of they get it wrong, like a car fitted with a breathalyser.

"If Freddy wants to earn $5000 on his Kickstarter and he has one reward tier for $10, and a train leaves the station traveling at 30 mph heading East ..."

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Nov 17, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe his months of near constant blue balls has restricted the blood flow to his brain?

Edit: there should be a simple maths test section of the Kickstarter project creation process that locks people out of they get it wrong, like a car fitted with a breathalyser.

"If Freddy wants to earn $5000 on his Kickstarter and he has one reward tier for $10, and a train leaves the station traveling at 30 mph heading East ..."

This is something I'm not sure about because I've never backed a Kickstarter because they're all bad (which is what I say to make myself feel better about the fact I have no money). If someone has a Kickstarter with tiers of say $10, $15, $25, $50, $100, and that's all, is it possible for someone to donate $1 to them? Or do they have to pick one of the tiers?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, the tiers are for rewards, you can back in any amount.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, cool. So someone COULD donate that $5000 all on their own, or 5000 people could donate $1 each, they just wouldn't get poo poo for it? :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's a good chance they won't get poo poo anyway, but yeah, that's how it works.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Okay, cool. So someone COULD donate that $5000 all on their own, or 5000 people could donate $1 each, they just wouldn't get poo poo for it? :v:

Pledging $1 will get you news updates which can be really interesting or really amusing when the project doesn't pan out.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

You also get to comment in the comment section.

By the way, don't skip the comments sections when reading bad Kickstarters, especially old ones.

"Excuted to be a part of this project. Haven't heard anything in awhile. Any updates?"

6 months later..."Haven't heard anything in awhile. Any updates?"

6 more months later..."Haven't heard anything in awhile. Any updates?"

:allears:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Noyemi K posted:

This got suspended in record time and it's definitely loving braindead.

Did kickstarter stop making someone approve submissions before they went live?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

They'd started making someone approve submissions before they went live?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

They were a few years ago at least, I know a few that got denied for not being kickstarter appropriate, whatever that means.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Pledging $1 will get you news updates which can be really interesting or really amusing when the project doesn't pan out.

Spending a dollar to potentially receive delicious internet drama is either a life low-point or a life high-point depending on how long you've been posting here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Depending on the kickstarter, it's often free, as you don't actually get your payment processed until the KS reaches its end and gets its goal.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Anyone else think glowforge is looking super sketchy? There's a huge gap between how impressed tech journalists are and how unimpressed members of the public who have seen units are. They are ran their own crowd funding which I'm not even sure how that's distinct from just preorders. The discount for preordering is 50% which seems like they're just trying to pressure people into putting money in for something that no one who isn't a tech journalist has actually seen work correctly. A lot of people who have more expensive laser cutters has said the specs on its air filter are completely insufficient to run it safely indoors.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Subjunctive posted:

I've only seen Thunderclap used to promote kick starters so far.

paging eripsa to the thread

Got my super soaker all loaded up with attention marbles for the inevitable social media Web 2.0 blogosphere paradigm shift.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Sorry, but this is adorable and doesn't belong with the rest of the crap. It doesn't need a Kickstarter (just self publish, people) but it's cute and the art doesn't suck.

It's no Marvelous Measels, is what I'm saying.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Germstore posted:

Anyone else think glowforge is looking super sketchy? There's a huge gap between how impressed tech journalists are and how unimpressed members of the public who have seen units are. They are ran their own crowd funding which I'm not even sure how that's distinct from just preorders. The discount for preordering is 50% which seems like they're just trying to pressure people into putting money in for something that no one who isn't a tech journalist has actually seen work correctly. A lot of people who have more expensive laser cutters has said the specs on its air filter are completely insufficient to run it safely indoors.

I don't know anything about it, but I just watched their promo video and going from a single piece of cardboard to this in a single frame is pretty sketchy.

It seems like the sort of thing that could be kind of fun, but probably isn't that useful and doesn't work as magically as they'd like to pretend.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Xandu posted:

I don't know anything about it, but I just watched their promo video and going from a single piece of cardboard to this in a single frame is pretty sketchy.

It seems like the sort of thing that could be kind of fun, but probably isn't that useful and doesn't work as magically as they'd like to pretend.

Am I wrong in looking at this and thinking “wow, it’s a $8,000 $4,800 way to not have to use scissors to cut paper”

I mean I guess I could understand using it for other material like leather or something, but unless you’re running your own business this seems like a gigantic waste of money.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Germstore posted:

The tech community in general loves to fetishize the whole "maker" movement as a way of showing off that they're totally not wasting their lives behind a computer all day, so I'm not surprised they're giving it sloppy blowjobs. Especially since, much like Arduino and 3d-printing, you can just download somebody else's poo poo off of the internet but still feel the sense of accomplishment because you put the cardboard in and hit the "start" button.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They used the two key phrases "3D-Printer" and "drone" which are unfortunately pretty powerful in 2015, and so they will get many backers who heard those two words and don't care that it's an over-priced hunk of crap.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Xandu posted:

Stretch goal: Glowforge will be able to print Italy

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

CJacobs posted:

They used the two key phrases "3D-Printer" and "drone" which are unfortunately pretty powerful in 2015, and so they will get many backers who heard those two words and don't care that it's an over-priced hunk of crap.

Yes, but is it made of carbon fibre, can it hold several notes and a credit card at the same time, and does it block RFID signals?

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
No, but it will destroy your USB ports

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yes but how many Arduinos does it use?

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
Two big kickstarter projects have crapped out.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/19/trouble-kickstarter-massive-projects-hit-rocks-coolest-zano

Millions wasted

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the gently caress is with that cooler

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

lolasaurusrex posted:

Spending a dollar to potentially receive delicious internet drama is either a life low-point or a life high-point depending on how long you've been posting here.

Most of the time it's a matter of, "I'm interested in this because it seems neat but I don't want to spend any real amount of money," like the Reading Rainbow thing and the Bill Nye spacecraft. I think the Megatokyo visual novel is the only one I backed out of morbid curiosity.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

the gently caress is with that cooler

I'm pretty sure we saw it earlier in this thread. its a cooler that has a giant battery in it to power a blender and a bluetooth speaker, doing nothing well.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the homercooler

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Luckily batteries don't generate heat as they discharge.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ianmacdo posted:

I'm pretty sure we saw it earlier in this thread. its a cooler that has a giant battery in it to power a blender and a bluetooth speaker, doing nothing well.

they really should have made some sort of powered cooling loop so it actually cooled better than literally any other cooler.

You know instead of attacking really lovely versions of things to it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The cooler KS was loving insane, they raised over $13 million. I'm not surprised that they ran into trouble since they were probably expecting to have to ship 300 or so coolers (based on their initial $50,000 goal) but ended up with about 60,000 orders.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually/description

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Don't buy anything with electronics inside of it on Kickstarter, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

theflyingorc posted:

Don't buy anything on Kickstarter, guys.