Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

yeah not correct, these are operations performed on vectors of 32 or 64 bit values simultaneously for speed gains

there is no hardware support in x86 for quad precision math

Well if I wanted to pull an Octopode I would say that nothing I said was wrong. Just that It had nothing to do with the context. But wrong is wrong so moving on. We can assume that ED is in fact using 64bit, which looking it up, should not have much of a problem creating the maps that ED uses. So the question then becomes, why can't SC create maps of that size, because CIG have already stated their map size, and the size of their universe. If they could create full scale maps, I expect they would.

1500 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

no_recall posted:

Does Star Citizen give deep and meaningful gameplay to be had? O_o?

You can drop a deep and meaningful 1080p turd in the space toilets. That's some pretty good emergent gameplay right there!

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

1500 posted:

So the question then becomes, why can't SC create maps of that size, because CIG have already stated their map size, and the size of their universe. If they could create full scale maps, I expect they would.

probably cause they suck and are bad

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

p gabs are you going to play some epic space games 2.0 and make a moving picture of it for us??

i want to :eyepop: at some jaw dropping fidelity in space, save :frogsiren::pcgaming::frogsiren:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Apparently planet tech is being made in a secret bunker in Germany and this buggy mess of a tech demo will have smooth seamless planets that can beat Infinity Battlescape or Elite real soon!

I was laughed at on the stream when i suggested that this is a bit unrealistic as these people can't make a loving FPS in crytek.

The loving thing has a loading screen when you go to the space section out of the interior of the place you are in, how in the gently caress is it going to handle full sized worlds...

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hypothetically speaking, what would the largest possible map sizes look like with quad precision? Millions of lightyears?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

TheCoach posted:

The loving thing has a loading screen when you go to the space section out of the interior of the place you are in, how in the gently caress is it going to handle full sized worlds...

They're shipping full game next year. Streamers are impressed by the new alpha. http://www.twitch.tv/captain_richard without any irony said, and I quote, "This is a lot more stable than I expected". Holy poo poo these people.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rad Russian posted:

They're shipping full game next year. Streamers are impressed by the new alpha. http://www.twitch.tv/captain_richard without any irony said, and I quote, "This is a lot more stable than I expected". Holy poo poo these people.

Kingongor was pretty excited to find a roll of toilet paper next to his bed. Because space masturbation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think it's nice that SC backers have such low standards for PC gaming.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Shipping next year with planets and unicorns and space hookers!

Oh I await the day features start getting cut and they loose their collective poo poo.

If this piece of crap is to release 2016 it is going to be cut to all poo poo, and if they don't cut features then lol 2020 at the earliest.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

TheCoach posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/kingkongor/ has been crashing every ~10 minutes while doing hardly anything.
Movement is janky as gently caress, this looks real bad.

hey look, the doods in that chat are talking about goons

armpets: one of the most recent refunds (completed a day ago) was for around $300 - they guy was initially told he was not eligible at all, and spent around 2 months telling them repeatedly that they were counting certain gifts twice, that there was some deal that cost $65 at one point when he gifted it that then went up to $120, and they were counting that as part of his non-refundable balance.

lol.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Can someone explain what this new thing is?

I'm looking at these streams and it just looks like "Hanger 2.0: bigger and outside".

Besides being able to run around a map (again) and climb inside ships (again) what's new?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Chalks posted:

I'm looking at these streams and it just looks like "Hanger 2.0: bigger and outside".

Besides being able to run around a map (again) and climb inside ships (again) what's new?

You can now vibrate trough walls because your vibrational level is so high you have ascended from mere citizen.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chalks posted:

Absolutely nothing. You can fly around on your jetpack or in your spaceship. You can look at pretty nice jpeg spheres that represent planets (but you cant land on them). You can maybe grief other players if you can find any. You can watch microsoft swnd crash reports somewhere before closing the program via task manager.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Absolutely nothing. You can fly around on your jetpack or in your spaceship. You can look at pretty nice jpeg spheres that represent planets (but you cant land on them). You can maybe grief other players if you can find any. You can watch microsoft swnd crash reports somewhere before closing the program via task manager.

It's a small scale "Persistent Universe" isn't it? Or have I misunderstood? I'm having trouble identifying what's persistent about it. Also a single location is perhaps not a usual definition of universe.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
It's persistently bad.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You know, one thing I've learned: There's no shortage of people who have declared that they're willing to keep spending money for years on the promise of Star Citizen. Worst-case scenario and the company folds for all practical purposes, mass layoffs, I wonder if Croberts and a rump firm of his closest cohorts could still make a decent living for themselves more or less indefinitely.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Chalks posted:

It's a small scale "Persistent Universe" isn't it? Or have I misunderstood? I'm having trouble identifying what's persistent about it. Also a single location is perhaps not a usual definition of universe.

It's a buggy piece of poo poo that shouldn't have seen the light of day and was only given to streamers trough incompetence and innablity to understand how badly this looks to anyone who has played a real videogame and hasn't sunk in thousands of dollars into SC yet.

Quality wise it's worse than an internal build of a video game mod. Feature wise? LOL, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Omi-Polari posted:

You know, one thing I've learned: There's no shortage of people who have declared that they're willing to keep spending money for years on the promise of Star Citizen. Worst-case scenario and the company more or less folds, mass layoffs, I wonder if Croberts and a rump company of his closest cohorts could still make a decent living for themselves more or less indefinitely.

All they have to do is just unironically transition into a cult, and dollars to biscuits they'll keep making dat bank on fools.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TheCoach posted:

It's a buggy piece of poo poo that shouldn't have seen the light of day and was only given to streamers trough incompetence and innablity to understand how badly this looks to anyone who has played a real videogame and hasn't sunk in thousands of dollars into SC yet.

Quality wise it's worse than an internal build of a video game mod. Feature wise? LOL, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

So I'm not completely missing something, it is really "OK guys, here's what you've been waiting for... *drumroll* we removed the roof from your hanger!! *sound of a thousand whales trying to clap their fins while farting money at Chris Roberts*"

This is real life and none of the faithful backers are mad about this?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Chalks posted:

This is real life and none of the faithful backers are mad about this?

Like I said before ITT, they're moreso in love with the idea of PTU 2.0 coming out as of right now, as opposed to suffering through the reality that it is currently, and will be for months, an unplayable and boring POS. This is evidenced by what abysmal concurrent player statistics modules like Arena Commander have had in the past and that this lovely crap will no doubt also have (so much for all that feedback CIG was hoping to get from non-paid people).

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 20, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The illusion of vindication is more pleasant than actually playing what they've been given.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The illusion of vindication is more pleasant than actually playing what they've been given.

ANYTHING TO BRING DOWN SMART.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Seeing them grasping at straws is quite entertaining, really.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So why was big ben so nervous the whole stream?

He looked and sounded like he wanted to crawl into a hole and die, is the stress of selling jpegs finally getting to him?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

He looked and sounded like he wanted to crawl into a hole and die, is the stress of selling jpegs finally getting to him?

with his weight, im betting it could actually be health problems.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

Hypothetically speaking, what would the largest possible map sizes look like with quad precision? Millions of lightyears?

well it depends on the accuracy you need between values, but say you wanted 0.0005 (half-thousandths) and you had a big ol' single space with quad precision coordinates, the largest value you could have with that accuracy is:

which if we treat that as meters, is equal to just slightly more than 535,963,096,677,217 light years

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sappo569 posted:

I thought he was crying but then I realized it was just his normal breathing pattern.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

well it depends on the accuracy you need between values, but say you wanted 0.0005 (half-thousandths) and you had a big ol' single space with quad precision coordinates, the largest value you could have with that accuracy is:

which if we treat that as meters, is equal to just slightly more than 535,963,096,677,217 light years

128 bit precision seems to be a little excessive. That's way way bigger than the observable universe.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Sappo569 posted:

Is there a recording of this stream somewhere?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Anticheese posted:

Is there a recording of this stream somewhere?

Pretty please? :pray:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7u7cgRY-fc

First youtube search result. Seriously.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

TheCoach posted:

That's what critics have preached for years about this game and Christos Robertos choice of CryEngine. See Infinity: Battlescape:

quote:

When we originally set out to build a space game we came to the conclusion that there wasn't any technology available that would allow us to realize our vision of a seamless transition from the surface of one planet to another without loading screens. We hate loading screens and, as life long space game enthusiasts, we resolved to build the technology to accomplish this ourselves.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLoon posted:

"Wait a minute...I thought all you did was pick on innocent :lesnick: ."

"Innocent? Is that supposed to be funny?! An obese man, a disgusting man who can barely stand up, a man if you saw him on the street and point him out to your friends so they could join you in mocking him, a man who, if you saw him while you were eating, you wouldn't be able to finish your meal! And after him I picked on CRoberts and you all must have secretly been thanking me for that one! This is a man who dedicated his life to making MONEY by LYING with every breath that he could muster to keeping himself and Gizmondo in Hollywood! AND SANDI! A WOMAN...so ugly on the inside that she couldn't bear to go on living if she couldn't be beautiful on the outside?!"

"Only in a world THIS lovely could you try to say these game devs were innocent and keep a straight face!"

WHAT'S IN THE BOX? :gonk:

It's a black sperg card.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

I feel like 2.0 crashes are related to missing game assets.
You climb on the constellation bed the game crashes
You finish downloading missions from relay station the game crashes (possibly tries to spawn or despawn enemies?)
i have yet to see fps i have seen 1 guy trying to shoot but the gun just doesnt fire (theres no fps mechanics in 2.0 so they end up disabling it and blaming it as bug)
someone boards a ship with you and the game goes insane trying to sync the position of both players on the ship ending up throwing the original pilot out of the ship.
the game constantly crashes every 5 minutes because its trying to load up a asset that doesnt exist.

But hey at least they finally made some progress with multiplayer infrastructure (maybe)

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Dark Off posted:

I feel like 2.0 crashes are related to missing game assets.
You climb on the constellation bed the game crashes
You finish downloading missions from relay station the game crashes (possibly tries to spawn or despawn enemies?)
i have yet to see fps i have seen 1 guy trying to shoot but the gun just doesnt fire (theres no fps mechanics in 2.0 so they end up disabling it and blaming it as bug)
someone boards a ship with you and the game goes insane trying to sync the position of both players on the ship ending up throwing the original pilot out of the ship.
the game constantly crashes every 5 minutes because its trying to load up a asset that doesnt exist.

But hey at least they finally made some progress with multiplayer infrastructure (maybe)

That's $95m and over 4 years of development for you, good sir. Enjoy your spacegame.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

3 years of full term development for a game like this? It's pretty normal. I mean, I've posted developer times in the past, though Beer has a better list. For an ambitious game I expected around a 5 year cycle before the release, and around $100 million.

Then how could Chris Roberts, a developer with more than 2 decades of experience, not know this? Say what you will about the state of the game but you can't deny that Croberts has repeatedly lied about dates when it's obvious in retrospect that there was no way he could have thought the "two weeks" "soon" "in the final stages" he gave out once in a while could possibly be true.

How does this fact alone not sour you to the whole thing?

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
lol at goons in disbelieve

hey guys
this game is coming out, and it's gonna be the best

like this guy

Vax posted:

That's $95m and over 4 years of development for you, good sir. Enjoy your spacegame.

PhD in game development and counting numbers

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Then how could Chris Roberts, a developer with more than 2 decades of experience, not know this? Say what you will about the state of the game but you can't deny that Croberts has repeatedly lied about dates when it's obvious in retrospect that there was no way he could have thought the "two weeks" "soon" "in the final stages" he gave out once in a while could possibly be true.

How does this fact alone not sour you to the whole thing?

It's worth noting that they didn't have the framework to actually start the game until Q2 this year when they switched cryengine to 64bit. Considering how much work they had to throw out (including basically everything IllFonic did) it'd be generous to say they have even 1 year of work done. All they have is secondary assets that can be worked concurrently with the game - and that they have to constantly rerig anyway due to changes in the core systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Vax posted:

Arent we all enjoying it at fullest by reading about it in this forum also my opinions are based on what i have seen so far on twitch streams. Never made the mistake of backing this trainwreck.

janssendalt posted:

like this guy

PhD in game development and counting numbers

actually vax is right. Check out the videos in kickstarter where chris says that the thing has been in development for year already and that they had working tech demo.
so the game has been in development for 4 years already.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 20, 2015

• Locked thread