Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gyges posted:

My guess as to answer of the case of the mysteriously missing Sanji is Caesar Clown got captured by Big Mom or Kaido's lackies and Sanji's gone off on his own to get the Gas Man back.

How do you use a gas for a net anyway? Seems like some sort of art error.

He can be any gas, including I would assume some very very dense ones.

Incidently we can now assume that minkmen are restricted to furred animals only, since they will eat hippo (a mammal) as well as reptiles and such.

I still cannot get over that whaletree, that whaletree is AMAZING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Guy A. Person posted:

I thought it was "raw" as in like, "unprepared". Like it was from an actual physical copy that had not been scanned, cleaned up, translated, etc.

Sort of. These days you have stuff like web versions of magazines where the "raws" are just extracted pdfs and such, so the meaning has shifted more to mean "unedited image files (whether from a website, an e-book, or as actual scans from a paper book), in the original language," but yours was probably where the terminology comes from. That said, Chinese scanlations don't apply to either definition.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

What is Scratchmen Apoo up to these days?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Sort of. These days you have stuff like web versions of magazines where the "raws" are just extracted pdfs and such, so the meaning has shifted more to mean "unedited image files (whether from a website, an e-book, or as actual scans from a paper book), in the original language," but yours was probably where the terminology comes from. That said, Chinese scanlations don't apply to either definition.

ok that makes sense

Green Intern posted:

Alliance with Kid and Hawkins I think

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
He's in an alliance with Kid and Hawkins to take down Shanks.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AtomikKrab posted:

Incidently we can now assume that minkmen are restricted to furred animals only, since they will eat hippo (a mammal) as well as reptiles and such.

I like that Brook showed up with his sleeves all tattered and I was confused as to why until a page or so latter when all the dog minkmen were chewing on his arms.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Atleast Sanji's finally getting an arc, right?

Here's my longshot: Sanji for some cool reason stowed away on Jack's boat. The rumors were they were unsuccessful in taking on the marines convoy but that's actually a lie. Jack was able to capture doflomingo and is taking him somewhere (
To kaido?). Sanji either spoke with the Marines or was recognized as blackleg sanji during the raid and now the marines are after sanji to learn where they took doffy, hence the only alive poster.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
sanji hasn't been well used since the time skip but the hatred of him itt is weird since he was really good before the time skip

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Ugh I wish sanji would do more cool offscreen stuff like when he was Mr prince *one month later* where the gently caress is sanji??? loving oda can't write worth poo poo anymore

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Green Intern posted:

He's a stain on the ground after Kaido was done.

This chapter feels like the celebration/wrap-up to an arc we didn't see, so it does come off as a little disjointed.

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Sub Harrison posted:

Atleast Sanji's finally getting an arc, right?

Here's my longshot: Sanji for some cool reason stowed away on Jack's boat. The rumors were they were unsuccessful in taking on the marines convoy but that's actually a lie. Jack was able to capture doflomingo and is taking him somewhere (
To kaido?). Sanji either spoke with the Marines or was recognized as blackleg sanji during the raid and now the marines are after sanji to learn where they took doffy, hence the only alive poster.

Wouldn't it be simpler and more likely that he's with this second other group we haven't met yet on Zhou, the King of Dusk or whatever?

oilatsnep fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 20, 2015

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I don't understand. This was a great chapter and revealed a lot. Why the Minks like the Strawhats, what Jack was after, and whether Sanji is alive or not. My only complaint lies with the translation error it appears we got of Dogmink saying, "Your friend's corpses" instead of "your friend's corpse", which of course is an old joke that everybody thinks the Strawhats carry a skeleton around with them. Apparently we were never meant to think everyone was dead, only that one person was, and later to think Sanji was. Now it's revealed that he's fine, and as someone said before, he's literally off on some Mr. Prince-esque adventure that will surely pay off in some awesome way. Not sure what everyone's problem is, between this and Only Alive this is the most interesting Sanji has been since the timeskip.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It's one of those things that's just the fault of the Japanese language. In the previous chapter they used 「仲間の死体」, and "your comrade's corpse[s]" (no plurals in Japanese) and "your comrade, the corpse" were equally correct translations of that. But the former sounded more likely. So the phrasing wasn't not a mistranslation on the translators' parts (for once), but a casualty of language differences.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 20, 2015

bondster
May 6, 2007

Either this was intentional or an artistic error but Ceaser didn't look to have his seastone cuffs on in that flashback

Edit: :doh: Well now I feel dumb

bondster fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 20, 2015

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

bondster posted:

Either this was intentional or an artistic error but Ceaser didn't look to have his seastone cuffs on in that flashback

they were using his gas powers, so that'd make sense.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

"Minkship" is hilarious. Poor Brook.

Also I was listening to the Jump Podcast and they pointed out the gator-mount's name is Warny, which is a stretched out Wani (alligator in Japanese) which made me finally realize that Wanda is probably derived from "Wan" which is the sound dogs make in Japanese.

Also the Day-King's name is motherfucking DOGSTORM and he needs to show up right now.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
And the night king's name is Cat-something, no? Zou already rules, gently caress the haters.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Advice posted:

And the night king's name is Cat-something, no? Zou already rules, gently caress the haters.

The Night King's name is Nekomamushi.

Neko = Cat

Mamushi = Viper

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Green Intern posted:

gettin owned by kaido. RIP mr jazz maverick.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Please One Piece don't start going Toriko on me. It kinda feels like Oda is not sure how to proceed at the moment so he's kinda stalling.

I do like how the minks act though. This is pretty much how I expect most pets would behave if we could talk to them.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

JosephWongKS posted:

The Night King's name is Nekomamushi.

Neko = Cat

Mamushi = Viper

So a ferret then.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

You all laughed when people wanted that lamewad Paulie with his knotted ropes to join the Strawhats, but he would be really handy right now with all the rowdy animal people turning rubberman and boneman into chewtoys.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wait, so the invaders are from Wano... does this mean the villain of this arc is Samurai Jack? :aaaaa:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait, so the invaders are from Wano... does this mean the villain of this arc is Samurai Jack? :aaaaa:

Thought they said it was some other kingdom. I don't think they said exactly why they dislike the wano country yet.

I kinda like the "wrap up" events in the beginning, simply to avoid the same formulaic approach the arcs have been doing. Now if only it was a bit more intelligible and had less stalling...

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The prince of the dukedom is the king?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tunahead posted:

You all laughed when people wanted that lamewad Paulie with his knotted ropes to join the Strawhats, but he would be really handy right now with all the rowdy animal people turning rubberman and boneman into chewtoys.

Was that a devil fruit power? I never figured that out

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

RC Cola posted:

Was that a devil fruit power? I never figured that out

No. He's just really good at tying knots ( the ladies love him)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Crazyeyes posted:

Thought they said it was some other kingdom. I don't think they said exactly why they dislike the wano country yet.

I kinda like the "wrap up" events in the beginning, simply to avoid the same formulaic approach the arcs have been doing. Now if only it was a bit more intelligible and had less stalling...

Judging by the fact that whoever attacked them were looking for Raizou, who's from Wano, it might be less of a "Wano people attacked us" scenario and more of a "we were attacked because of Wano people."

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
This chapter was pretty slow for me, but I loved that cover page. I'm pretty excited to eventually see Zoro "breathe fire" using the sword in his teeth.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
As many people of note were in the Whitebeard Pirate Alliance, is it really surprising that the Supernovas aren't making a huge impact yet? We're not all that far into the New World and from prior experience we should know these guys are going to have to start making alliances with more powerful people to survive.

Just think about how many connections that the Straw Hats themselves have. Luffy's aligned with Jinbe, Shanks, and Hancock + Sabbo in addition to Robin knowing Dragon personally at this point, and Zoro's on seemingly good terms with Mihawk.

Other members of the Worst Generation aligning themselves with people like Kaido, Blackbeard or Big Mam isn't all that far-fetched.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

So a ferret then.

Or, I dont know, a mink?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RealFoxy posted:

As many people of note were in the Whitebeard Pirate Alliance, is it really surprising that the Supernovas aren't making a huge impact yet? We're not all that far into the New World and from prior experience we should know these guys are going to have to start making alliances with more powerful people to survive.

Just think about how many connections that the Straw Hats themselves have. Luffy's aligned with Jinbe, Shanks, and Hancock + Sabbo in addition to Robin knowing Dragon personally at this point, and Zoro's on seemingly good terms with Mihawk.

Other members of the Worst Generation aligning themselves with people like Kaido, Blackbeard or Big Mam isn't all that far-fetched.

True, but the Strawhats definition of an alliance is way different than everyone else. Just ask Law.

Other people look for allies to help them out, Strawhats look for people who know sweet places to have a party.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Why doesn't Viz translate names like Warny to something like Gaaator, Gaetor, etc. Kumacy should be Bearsy. Ucy should be Bully (though Moocy is fine too I guess). Does noone remember the Veggie Pirates?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

F. Lobot posted:

Why doesn't Viz translate names like Warny to something like Gaaator, Gaetor, etc. Kumacy should be Bearsy. Ucy should be Bully (though Moocy is fine too I guess). Does noone remember the Veggie Pirates?

Because anime/manga translation pays loving peanuts, and the fanbase is made of gigantic weebs who want Kumacy and not Bearsy, so it's not like you have any pride or stake in actually doing your loving job assuming you actually have the skill to think about non-literal translation and aren't literally a half step above google translate

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

F. Lobot posted:

It's probably not worth obliterating a proper noun to service a language-specific pun, and you can generally run into problems later if you've forked the Japanese Names and the English ones.

Edit:

You also end up with a lot of sanctimonious nerds parroting bad opinions they read somewhere on the internet, without really understanding much about languages, and translation as a discipline.

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 20, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Space-Bird posted:

You also end up with a lot of sanctimonious nerds parroting bad opinions they read somewhere on the internet, without really understanding much about languages, and translation as a discipline.

This is going to happen no matter what you do. That part of the fandom is made up of such fickle spergelords that they'll never be happy no matter what you do, so you might as well just do it right.

Bearsy for example is in all instances better than Kumacy. Ucy is best as Fighting Bull until his name gets Luffied into Moocy.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

oilatsnep posted:

Wouldn't it be simpler and more likely that he's with this second other group we haven't met yet on Zhou, the King of Dusk or whatever?

Nah cause that wouldnt explain why the navy wants him only alive, or why oda bothered to draw Jack's "failed" attack.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
I may be missing something, but has ANY character mentioned what happened to Caesar when they got to Zou?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Happy Happyist posted:

I may be missing something, but has ANY character mentioned what happened to Caesar when they got to Zou?

Luffy showed up and asked "Hey Gas Guy...well I don't really care about him." So my assumption is nobody cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I'm kinda hoping that this arc is gonna be just wrapping up the B-Team's adventures and moving on without a huge, climatic fight first.

That's what it feels like right now, something huge happened and the Straw Hats got involved, defeated the big bad and saved the day. So all the fighting is already done and most of what's left to do is party, pack up and leave. Well and I guess find that Wano guy the other samurai have been looking for, and hopefully not start another fight over that potential misunderstanding. Anyway, point is, I think is has the potential to be a shorter arc than the last. Not hard since Dressrosa was possibly the biggest arc the series has had, but still, I don't think we're gonna be on this island long.

I give it three months, five tops.