Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Right, all SS emails have gone out. If you haven't received yours, let me know. :ohdearsass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

all SS emails have gone out

Are you sure that's how you want to abbreviate "Secret Santa", The_Doctor?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Are you sure that's how you want to abbreviate "Secret Santa", The_Doctor?

Please wear your Secret Santa skull patch, Fair Bear Maiden.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Rhyno posted:

Ever since the show came back I've been a sucker for Murray Gold's work, the individual character themes are pretty great in my opinion. But man, Twelve's is just loving spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JpbE_sVabI

I love Murray, but the sound mixing team could be better. Doctor Who is the only TV show I have to put subtitles on for. :argh:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Angela Christine posted:

This makes it clear that while 8 was not the one who fought in the time war, he was the one who got rid of the round things and is therefore history's greatest monster.

TV movie TARDIS best TARDIS.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

:hfive:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CobiWann posted:

This is the most correct opinion in this thread

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

cargohills posted:

This is the most correct opinion in this thread

It was a pretty good tardis. I miss the round things though.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Well, there we go. I got a thing for one of you lucky people. Hopefully if I timed how long shipping takes, it doesn't get there before actual December.

'Cause you gotta open your present when it's December, guys. You don't open Santa gifts in November, come on now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Angela Christine posted:

This makes it clear that while 8 was not the one who fought in the time war, he was the one who got rid of the round things and is therefore history's greatest monster.

Eight's had round things, though. They're on the pillars arching over the console.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Rhyno posted:

The tv film started with Seven so...
Seven got rid of the round things, War brought them back, and then Nine got rid of them again. Weird.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Picklepuss posted:

Seven got rid of the round things, War brought them back, and then Nine got rid of them again. Weird.

Well, they do say War never changes…

I’m a little nervous. All the Tom Baker serials I’ve seen up to this point I’ve either seen before or knew a good bit about them in advance. I have The Brain of Morbius lined up for this weekend and I know absolutely nothing about it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

CobiWann posted:

I’m a little nervous. All the Tom Baker serials I’ve seen up to this point I’ve either seen before or knew a good bit about them in advance. I have The Brain of Morbius lined up for this weekend and I know absolutely nothing about it.

It's good! :toot:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yes. Yes, it is.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Picklepuss posted:

Don't nine and ten still technically have round things?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

cargohills posted:

Don't nine and ten still technically have round things?

Yes but they aren't THE around things.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

CobiWann posted:

I think you should enjoy it. Are you doing a big Tom Baker marathon? Because if so that's rad.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreezingInferno posted:

I think you should enjoy it. Are you doing a big Tom Baker marathon? Because if so that's rad.

Kind of. I really never saw all that much of the classic series growing up and decide a few weeks ago to see what all the fuss was about.

At whatever pace I can keep, I’m going from Robot all the way to Survival before going back to Spearhead from Space and then back to An Unearthly Child. So far I’m enjoying myself, but I am in the Hinchcliffe era which is kind of like playing Contra for the very first time, but with the Konami Code enabled.

I’ve done day-by-day viewings (I watched Robot and Terror of the Zygons one episode a day for four days), I’ve done one-story marathons (Genesis of the Daleks in one night when I couldn’t sleep), long marathons (Planet of Evil, Pyramids of Mars, The Android Invasion when I was laid up last week with a sprained ankle waiting for Fallout 4 to release) and “oh, Christ, do I really want to watch this” viewings (it took me two weeks to make it through Revenge of the Cybermen).

What’s been really helpful to me are all the behind-the-scenes documentaries they’ve done for the DVD’s. It’s amazing to see just how much the crew pulled off with such a small budget, and it's helped me get over the “cheap, low budget” stereotypes I admit I had for the classic series. The sets for Planet of Evil were simply amazing and even Hinchcliffe was like “I have no idea how we pulled it off, but we did.”

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I remember Planet of Evil briefly, but that jungle really was something. Better than the jungle in Kinda, anyway.

Becoming a classic series fan is a bit of a thing; I just sort of started watching Sylvester McCoy in summer 2010 for something to do, and now here I am, a few naff Tom Baker serials away from having seen all of 70's and 80's Classic Who.

Then I get to play fun with black and white/recons with Billy and Pat. Yay.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Are you going into everything after this blind? What upcoming episodes have you seen? This is sounds like it's going to be fun. :unsmigghh:

CobiWann posted:

So far I’m enjoying myself, but I am in the Hinchcliffe era which is kind of like playing Contra for the very first time, but with the Konami Code enabled.

The shift in production values when Hinchcliffe leaves is really noticeable and, even considering the McCoy era's outdoor video cheese, results in season 15 being possibly the worst looking of the classic series. There were apparently very large budget cuts, but it seems like everybody who knew how to work with limited resources had gone, making episodes like The Sun Makers, which should have been fun to watch, into a chore. When Robert Holmes leaves, he takes any sense of tension and pacing with him. Things pick up from the Key to Time season, but the many, many hours of Underworld and Invasion of Time always make me question why I ever liked this dumb show in the first place.

Then we get Ribos Operation and any fears are banished to the catacombs. From here on, even when Doctor Who gets stupid, at least it will be memorable.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I still stand by The Sun Makers, it's a fun bit of Holmes... but The Invisible Enemy and Underworld. Oof. And this is the start of the Graham Williams years.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Past this point, the only episodes of classic Who I’ve seen are…

The Talons of Weng-Chiang
The Visitation
Arc of Infinity – don’t think this one counts as I was hammered at the time
The Five Doctors
Warriors of the Deep
Attack of the Cybermen
Remembrance of the Daleks
Ghost Light

Going back, I’ve only seen Spearhead from Space and Inferno.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Past this point, the only episodes of classic Who I’ve seen are…

The Talons of Weng-Chiang
The Visitation
Arc of Infinity – don’t think this one counts as I was hammered at the time
The Five Doctors
Warriors of the Deep
Attack of the Cybermen
Remembrance of the Daleks
Ghost Light

Fix this right now fix this right now

War Games all of it watch it

No I don't care that you don't have half a day to watch it do it anyways.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Burkion posted:

This.

I usually have trouble getting through serials of more than four episodes, but War Games is a breeze even at ten episodes. You probably could make a shorter version, but I don't know why you'd want to.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
War Games is great, but I'm so happy you already watched Ghost Light, which I adore.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

I would, but...

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-War-Games-Story/dp/B002IW62FU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1448041692&sr=1-1

That's a bit pricey.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-War-Games-DVD/dp/B002ATVD8W/

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, just get a region free DVD player.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
But if I buy a Region 2 DVD and player, doesn’t that mean the British terrorists win?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

But if I buy a Region 2 DVD and player, doesn’t that mean the British terrorists win?

Worth it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

Worth it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

:stare:

There is SO MUCH incredible Doctor Who you haven't seen. SO MUCH. :shepicide:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Pretty sure it's one of the nearly complete series on Hulu, where, for what people are asking for the War Games DVD on eBay, you could get a subscription for over three years.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

After The War posted:

Pretty sure it's one of the nearly complete series on Hulu, where, for what people are asking for the War Games DVD on eBay, you could get a subscription for over three years.

Sadly War Games is not on Hulu. Most of the rest is though!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Just saw Sleep No More. The plot in synopsis wasn't bad, but gosh was its execution janky and terrible. It has serious problems with pacing and clarity, with characters making massive deductive leaps that aren't substantiated by foreshadowing. The Doctor figuring out what he thinks the Sandmen are, Rasmussen revealing what they really are - these beats make sense in isolation, but they're strung together in a lumpy, stop-start manner that pays no attention to act structure or setup.

For instance: Rasmussen jumping back into his prerecorded message after he's been shot (so what, he's recording more and editing it in post facto?) makes sense if you labour for it, but at a glance it's confusing and disjointed when the script has already defined the message as pre-made. Unless I guess he did his "turn into sand" bit for the end of the message, turned back into a guy with Sand Magic, then really did get shot? It's wildly unclear. The viewer has to do too many mental acrobatics to establish simple continuity.

The Doctor's hackneyed "see what you've done, MISTER SCIENTIST" bit was straight out of a bargain bin sci-fi horror, and suffers from the lack of setup problem also: before he's even got any idea what's going on, he's holding forth about how sleep is holy and Rasmussen has created an abomination. Weird quasi-religious beliefs that cause him to shout down scientific progress don't seem very in character for the Doctor - especially when compared to Chopra's political objection to the Morpheus machine, which is actually substantial, understandable and considered, and so makes Twelve look rather daft in comparison.

The problems with this episode aren't plot-related, they're structural. All the beats are there to make a really good story, but they're tagged onto each other so inexpertly that you feel like you're doing half the work for the show as you watch it. The characters are enjoyable, the acting is good, and the premise is just fine, though elaborating more on how sleep dust evolves into a killer mucous would really help to keep the viewer on board - but Rasmussen's initial warning that "some bits are missing" seems exactly right, though perhaps not how the writer intended.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Burkion posted:

Sadly War Games is not on Hulu. Most of the rest is though!

Blast! Didn't have a way to quickly check at work.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

After The War posted:

Pretty sure it's one of the nearly complete series on Hulu

Nearly complete? Do they leave episodes out :v:

CobiWann posted:

Yes, but you have to accept that sooner or later. Also, in the context you posted later, the Americans were the terrorists!

Android Blues posted:

For instance: Rasmussen jumping back into his prerecorded message after he's been shot (so what, he's recording more and editing it in post facto?) makes sense if you labour for it, but at a glance it's confusing and disjointed when the script has already defined the message as pre-made. Unless I guess he did his "turn into sand" bit for the end of the message, turned back into a guy with Sand Magic, then really did get shot? It's wildly unclear. The viewer has to do too many mental acrobatics to establish simple continuity.

He recorded the video - all the video - after the events of the episode and that's what you're watching. All of it was shot after he was, uh, shot.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He recorded the video - all the video - after the events of the episode and that's what you're watching. All of it was shot after he was, uh, shot.

Nah, it's playing in the background when the protagonists meet back up with him - the Doctor accuses him of pre-recording it as an alibi. But it's a testament to how poorly conveyed the sequence is that you read it as the other way around!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Working my way through Destiny Of The Daleks. The Movellans look like they're going to break into a rousing disco beat at any second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

You might be able to find a code online that'll let you set the region encoding on your DVD player to Region 0 (which is what I did when I got the Region 1 Forever Knight box sets).

Of course, I'm not about how it works with NTSC players and PAL DVDs. That's all a bit beyond me. I know I can play an NTSC DVD on a PAL player but I don't know if it works the other way.

• Locked thread