Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

Let's all start reading Sluggy Freelance ironically, then get really into it unironically, and appreciate the adventures of Torg, Zoe, Riff, Gwynn, Bun-Bun, Sasha, Kiki, Aylee, and everyone else in this nifty comic.

SF was one of my first webcomics and though I don't read it any more, I have a lot of fondness for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Mostly everyone has a fondness for one of their first webcomics. I visit El Goonish Shive every once and a while to see what perplexing direction the author has taken the comic in the latest chapter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dogwood Fleet posted:

The worst part of Megatokyo is I keep hoping Fred will turn it around. Like....he'll reach a state of self awareness and suddenly have an interesting story about weeaboos. I think that's part of why people praise the early part of the comic, the last time I went through the early strips I kept thinking, "This had the potential to be good."
Yeah I feel the same. There's still foundation for an interesting plot and I'd be lying if I didn't think that whatever chapters make up the 4th and 5th volume aren't good. But at this point if he can't even put out a single page a month we'll never see the end of it.

DoubleCakes posted:

Mostly everyone has a fondness for one of their first webcomics. I visit El Goonish Shive every once and a while to see what perplexing direction the author has taken the comic in the latest chapter.
I popped my head in a week or so ago out of curiosity and saw people in a mall crowded around a glowing messiah, a griffon, and genderbent superhero Elliot and closed the tab.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Brought To You By posted:

Yeah I feel the same. There's still foundation for an interesting plot and I'd be lying if I didn't think that whatever chapters make up the 4th and 5th volume aren't good. But at this point if he can't even put out a single page a month we'll never see the end of it.

Looks like the only thing he didn't lift from the japanese is their work-ethic.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

:agreed:

Every now and again Sluggy did some really cool things in between general silliness and outdated parodies.

4U City was pretty decent, and not that many years ago. But mostly, any time the comic starts getting entertaining, the tension is broken by lovely goofy subplots.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Gabriel Pope posted:

:agreed:

Every now and again Sluggy did some really cool things in between general silliness and outdated parodies.

I honestly really enjoyed the timeless space stuff, and I'd love to someday run a spelljammer game set there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pick posted:

SF was one of my first webcomics and though I don't read it any more, I have a lot of fondness for it.
I posted on the Sluggy fan forums a lot when I was like 13.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My first webcomics were Earthsong and the Phoenix Requiem. One of these was good. One was... Honestly not.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Kill Six Billion Demons is still incredible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Leona from Prague Race might be one of the most irritating protagonists I've seen in recent memory, and I don't think it's deliberate.

Like she's kind of a really lovely and manipulative person and yet the narrative always dances away from giving her a full rebuke in favor of making her seem quirky and sympathetic, it's getting super annoying!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Leona from Prague Race might be one of the most irritating protagonists I've seen in recent memory, and I don't think it's deliberate.

Like she's kind of a really lovely and manipulative person and yet the narrative always dances away from giving her a full rebuke in favor of making her seem quirky and sympathetic, it's getting super annoying!

the guy who literally never stops whining from page 1 is supposed to be sort of a weed too, in case you were somehow wondering

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 20, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea that comic looked interesting but then I read the first few pages and was like

E: nevermind I read the description of the main character and got it mixed up with http://www.lighterthanheir.com

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 20, 2015

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

KittyEmpress posted:

My first webcomics were Earthsong and the Phoenix Requiem. One of these was good. One was... Honestly not.

Bob and motherfucking George. I printed out the funniest ones and put them in my school binder, because apparently I thought they were hilarious.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jackard posted:

Yea that comic looked interesting but then I read the first few pages and was like

it's really good and switches gears to crazytown in like chapter 3

also the girl everyone in the comic keeps pointing out is a jerk gets magical death cancer

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 20, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's really good and switches gears to crazytown in like chapter 3
Yea nevermind I just read their description of the main character and got it mixed up with http://www.lighterthanheir.com

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Caught up on Demon and boy, after that one particular page I am loving done.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

DoubleCakes posted:

I have been consistently reading EGS, and I still have no idea whats going on.

So many webcomics that try to balance comedy and drama fall into the same trap after a while of trying to run serious, grim arcs about things that were originally one off dumb jokes, or they grow a tangled web of impenetrable lore. Often it feels like it'd be better if the authors would be better off if they would just end their works and start again rather than drag into decade-long epic sagas.

Then again, David Willis has done that twice, (or more?) and managed to produce a worse balance of comedy and drama every time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

I posted on the Sluggy fan forums a lot when I was like 13.

I probably saw you there. Tiny internet :toot:.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I really hope that Dr Mcninja has a ghost wizard vs nasaghast fight before this arc is done.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Is there a reason that Dr. McNinja couldn't have just given Sparklelord a fake name? Or did I miss something?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Probably this

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

majormonotone posted:

Is there a reason that Dr. McNinja couldn't have just given Sparklelord a fake name? Or did I miss something?

It's joked about in alt-text, so probably just to keep things interesting.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Caught up on Demon and boy, after that one particular page I am loving done.

You're going to have to be more specific.

E: wait, "caught up" implies not just-got-around-to-reading the whole thing, but catching up on the the recent bits. I know the page. I understand.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mimir posted:

You're going to have to be more specific.

I think he's talking about page 1.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Spoilers, possibly, for the sake of my browser history/sanity?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rand Brittain posted:

Nah, you don't want that. Let's just say it's one of the most blatantly NSFW page so far in the comic, cumknife and cumfart included.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Jimmy's birthday.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I can't believe that people are unable to appreciate the miracle of birth.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think we're about to see 1/6,000,000,000 demons killed :v:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, she's pretty much a manic pixie dreamgirl writ large - I'm not a fan of the troll dude for similar reasons. Overall, the good bits of the comic outweigh them enough that I remain a fan, though.

That said, I think the last couple pages may have sort of turned the comic into horrortown, with the cancerhands exerting an influence on her.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It seemed like Leona was going to get her poo poo together when Miko yelled at her for turning him into a werewolf instead of just taking him to a hospital for a fairly unspecified injury, but nope, as soon as they find out where Colin is she's all "tee hee, let's break in and threaten everyone, isn't this fun?!"

I'm not quite sure where the story is going at the moment; assuming they get Colin back, can't they just leave? I guess Leona would be screwed though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So I think Trudy Cooper has decided Sithrak is the funniest joke left in Oglaf? I'm not sure she's wrong.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

majormonotone posted:

Based on Sparkelord's reaction, I think the answer is "no, but Patrick assumed otherwise".

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Autonomous Monster posted:

So I think Trudy Cooper has decided Sithrak is the funniest joke left in Oglaf? I'm not sure she's wrong.

It certainly seems to be most of what she's been focusing on lately. Sithrak IS funny, just not the same funny that started me reading Oglaf in the first place.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Autonomous Monster posted:

the sithrak bits are all a little different and all genuinely funny so I'll take it becoming the Sithrak Show over ever seeing the mystique guy again

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Excuse me, that's mistertique. :rolleye:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 22, 2015

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I don't mind the mystique guy because he gave us my all-time favorite Oglaf strip (nsfw obviously)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Mr. Ious would have been better.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The vampire doctor is always good when she shows up. Probably because it's not that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
Okay, I just want to confirm that probably no one is more surprised than me that Oglaf and my own comic both updated with really specific Chick Tract parodies today.

• Locked thread