Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nachos posted:

Trump is openly advocating for a Muslim database so I guess yeah you're right he isn't beholden to establishment policy

My friend/acquaintance who's basically the next generation of GOP establishment literally compared the Donald to a Nazi about that database. Dude really doesn't like Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

nachos posted:

Trump is openly advocating for a Muslim database so I guess yeah you're right he isn't beholden to establishment policy

Not really. Some idiot reporter asked him if he would support one and he said his usual. "We're gonna do everything great and it's gonna be amazing and spectacular" shtick.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Boon posted:

Hillary is hawkish, but so is Obama and I don't think she'd be very much different. Also, her domestic record is pretty good if you take her stance on regulating the financial sector out of the picture.

A President Trump honestly "scares" me less than any other of the GOP candidates. At least Trump isn't beholden to establishment policy. That said, Hillary is basically an out of the park matchup against anything Trump advocates (except beholden to Wall Street interests).

Outside of her saying glass-steagal isn't needed, her views on Wall Street are a lot tougher than people give her credit for, to be honest.

On FP, I think she's more naturally inclined to intervene than Obama, but certainly less than any of her Republican competitors.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mcmagic posted:

Not really. Some idiot reporter asked him if he would support one and he said his usual. "We're gonna do everything great and it's gonna be amazing and spectacular" shtick.

That's not really all that different. I mean, any rational person should have a better answer to "do you support internment camps" than "that sounds like something we should be considering." For example, "No."

Trump got stumped.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

mcmagic posted:

quote:

"I would certainly implement that. Absolutely," Trump said in Newton, Iowa, in between campaign town halls.

"There should be a lot of systems, beyond databases," he added. "We should have a lot of systems."

When asked whether Muslims would be legally obligated to sign into the database, Trump responded, "They have to be — they have to be."

That's more than just a vague "we will win so much it hurts"

Plus it's too late, he's already getting backlash and will almost certainly double down and crystallize those thoughts

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

mcmagic posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/20/donald-trump-would-certainly-and-absolutely-create-a-database-of-muslims/

quote:

Trump said the government should use "a lot of systems, beyond databases" to track Muslims, prevent illegal immigrants from entering the country and keep the nation safe. He added that he would employ "good management procedures" to get Muslims signed up for the database, although he did not say who would need to register under such a system and what penalties they might face for refusing.

"You sign them up at different places," Trump said. "But it's all about management. Our country has no management."

Although you might just be thinking about the day prior where that is pretty much the stance he took:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...erican-muslims/

quote:

"We're going to have to do things that we never did before. Some people are going to be upset about it, but I think that now everybody is feeling that security is going to rule,” Trump told Yahoo News in an interview published Thursday. “And certain things will be done that we never thought would happen in this country in terms of information and learning about the enemy. And so we’re going to have to do certain things that were frankly unthinkable a year ago.”

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's not really all that different. I mean, any rational person should have a better answer to "do you support internment camps" than "that sounds like something we should be considering." For example, "No."

Trump got stumped.

But why would he say that when he can let people hear what they want to hear?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This has already been commented on multiple times, but it can't be overstated:

:gop: What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck? What country do I live in anymore? Is this real life?

Jesus loving Christ. :negative:

The media will use this to disarm this issue and push the idea that democrats are racist tooooo at the liberal left.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Outside of her saying glass-steagal isn't needed, her views on Wall Street are a lot tougher than people give her credit for, to be honest.

On FP, I think she's more naturally inclined to intervene than Obama, but certainly less than any of her Republican competitors.

Trump is also a lot more Wall Street friendly than people give him credit for. He wants to let companies repatriate their foreign tax haven cash hoards at a much reduced tax rate. That cash basically will go straight into the pockets of Wall Street in the form of higher dividends and stock buybacks while doing jack for the American worker.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This has already been commented on multiple times, but it can't be overstated:

:gop: What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck? What country do I live in anymore? Is this real life?

Jesus loving Christ. :negative:

I just want to ask my VA brothers and sisters down in the Roanoke area, what are the chances this jerkwad gets ousted from the left purely because of this?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shifty Pony posted:

Trump is also a lot more Wall Street friendly than people give him credit for. He wants to let companies repatriate their foreign tax haven cash hoards at a much reduced tax rate. That cash basically will go straight into the pockets of Wall Street in the form of higher dividends and stock buybacks while doing jack for the American worker.

Well, there's some merit to coming up with ways to get companies (which aren't entirely Wall Street) to stop stashing away millions of dollars off-shore (I am looking at you Apple) and instead invest that money or give it back to their stockholders, but his idea kind of misses the point.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well, there's some merit to coming up with ways to get companies (which aren't entirely Wall Street) to stop stashing away millions of dollars off-shore (I am looking at you Apple) and instead invest that money or give it back to their stockholders, but his idea kind of misses the point.

I thought they're already taxed on income anyway, so any cash reserves they have are just them not paying back dividends. They could invest however much they wanted at any time.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

AlternateNu posted:

I just want to ask my VA brothers and sisters down in the Roanoke area, what are the chances this jerkwad gets ousted from the left purely because of this?

There have been calls for his resignation: http://www.roanoke.com/news/local/r...0930bf9efd.html

Glad he's already been pulled from Clinton campaign though: http://abcnews.go.com/US/virginia-mayor-japanese-internment-defend-blocking-refugees/story?id=35291587

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah we did the tax holiday thing during the Bush admin in order to spur investment. Surprise surprise almost all of the repatriated funds went to shareholders and corporate bigwigs.

But hey, THIS time our corporate overlords will be magnanimous with their sudden windfall.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Litany Unheard posted:

Yeah we did the tax holiday thing during the Bush admin in order to spur investment. Surprise surprise almost all of the repatriated funds went to shareholders and corporate bigwigs.

But hey, THIS time our corporate overlords will be magnanimous with their sudden windfall.

Kinda like the Bank bailout and the Economic stimulus for Banks that they then just sat on.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I've never been called to jury duty, which is sad since I'd probably enjoy it.

Well, before I get immediately purged for not being for the death penalty or something.

There are always civil cases :unsmith:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

I thought they're already taxed on income anyway, so any cash reserves they have are just them not paying back dividends. They could invest however much they wanted at any time.

They have money off-shore that they're not being taxed on, and they're keeping it that way because they don't want to pay taxes on it. It's a pretty standard practice at the moment.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
MODESTO, Calif. (AP) — He strutted, he gobbled and he puffed up his feathers like his life depended on it. And it did.

The turkey's outgoing personality and good looks helped spare him from the Thanksgiving plate. The bird, named Tom One, was chosen for a presidential pardon from a dozen finalists Thursday at a Northern California farm.

The bird will board a flight called Turkey One in San Francisco to head to the White House ceremony with President Barack Obama ahead of the holiday. After that, he will be sent to live at a farm in Virginia.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

MODESTO, Calif. (AP) — He strutted, he gobbled and he puffed up his feathers like his life depended on it. And it did.

The turkey's outgoing personality and good looks helped spare him from the Thanksgiving plate. The bird, named Tom One, was chosen for a presidential pardon from a dozen finalists Thursday at a Northern California farm.

The bird will board a flight called Turkey One in San Francisco to head to the White House ceremony with President Barack Obama ahead of the holiday. After that, he will be sent to live at a farm in Virginia.

Can we stop this already?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Kinda like the Bank bailout and the Economic stimulus for Banks that they then just sat on.

TARP, while wickedly unpopular, was likely needed to stabilize the financial sector. Optics aside it was a good idea. It's just, it never should have been needed in the first place.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Do you think the bird was wrongly appealed?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Another criminal loose on our streets! :argh:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

How do we know this turkey is not ISIS

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

Do you think the bird was wrongly appealed?

I think pardoning grossly unhealthy Turkey's is a really dumb.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

PUGGERNAUT posted:

How do we know this turkey is not ISIS

lmao that's a good point.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

TARP, while wickedly unpopular, was likely needed to stabilize the financial sector. Optics aside it was a good idea. It's just, it never should have been needed in the first place.

The US taxpayer made a profit on TARP.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Live the rest of your life out at a farm Tom, you deserve it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AfroLine posted:

Live the rest of your life out at a farm Tom, you deserve it.

Like two more months! When you die in pain and agony of congestive heart failure!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think pardoning grossly unhealthy Turkey's is a really dumb.

Never thought we'd see someone advocating for government death panels, but here we are.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

Never thought we'd see someone advocating for government death panels, but here we are.

:commissar: The Glorious Revolution supports them, comrade Gravel.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
It is important to note that millions of turkeys are consumed each year in America. Even though one slips through the cracks we can't let it change who we are.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's a fun little tradition that spoofs the Nation-State's power over life and death :black101: - kind of like daylight savings

If we abolished the death penalty it would be dumb to keep around.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like two more months! When you die in pain and agony of congestive heart failure!

It probably gets real cold out there

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Obama should pull a West Wing and draft the turkey into military service.

OUR TROOPS :911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ytyaBVNrE

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You don't want to be the president that forgets what Thanksgiving is truly about.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Wookums posted:

You don't want to be the president that forgets what Thanksgiving is truly about.

Stealing from the natives?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Here, have an article about how the children of the elite in Silicon Valley are all killing themselves for some reason that nobody can understand because why aren't you in Harvard yet you stupid bastard.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/12/the-silicon-valley-suicides/413140/

quote:

The 10-year suicide rate for the two high schools is between four and five times the national average. Starting in the spring of 2009 and stretching over nine months, three Gunn students, one incoming freshman, and one recent graduate had put themselves in front of an oncoming Caltrain. Another recent graduate had hung himself. While the intervening years had been quieter, they had not been comforting. School counselors remained “overwhelmed and overloaded” with an influx of kids considered high risk, says Roni Gillenson, who has helped oversee Gunn’s mental-health program since 2006. Twelve percent of Palo Alto high-school students surveyed in the 2013–14 school year reported having seriously contemplated suicide in the past 12 months.

Some three months after Cameron Lee’s suicide, and about four months after that of Quinn Gens, Harry Lee, a Gunn senior unrelated to Cameron, killed himself by jumping from the roof of a building. One suicide cluster could be anomalous. In the United States, there are about five youth clusters a year. But now Palo Alto was well into its second. You’d have to be blind or stupid not to see a pattern, and Palo Alto’s parents were neither. Seventy-four percent of Gunn students have at least one parent with a graduate degree. They’d moved their families to that school district because they know how to do their research. Last year, Gunn was ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the nation’s top five stem schools. Every year, about 20 of its seniors get into Stanford, which is just two miles away, and a quarter are offered spots at University of California schools, which are notoriously competitive these days.

Since I went to Stanford, in the early ’90s, the surrounding public schools have been utterly transformed by the tech explosion. Gunn, and to a lesser extent Palo Alto High School, is legendary all over the world. Steve Jobs’s old house is in the neighborhood. Chinese patriarchs buy homes in the community and send their families, so their kids can go to school there. Parents sacrifice vacations and plan their budgets carefully so they can afford a house in the district. (The college friends I stayed with while reporting this story—both full-time physicians—got priced out of their rental during the school year and had to move out of the district, to nearby San Mateo.)

This is the natural endpoint of all the masturbation over STEM schools and STEM classes and STEM STEM STEM. Nobody can have any fun because fun is suboptimal compared to writing apps for your resume so you can get into the top colleges. And if you get a B in chemistry you'll never get into Super Ultra Tech School with an internship with Giant Tech Corp and you might as well step in front of a CalTrain.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

computer parts posted:

Stealing from the natives?
Stealing from corporations because of Black Friday deals! Campouts begin the day before Thanksgiving now :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

This is the natural endpoint of all the masturbation over STEM schools and STEM classes and STEM STEM STEM. Nobody can have any fun because fun is suboptimal compared to writing apps for your resume so you can get into the top colleges. And if you get a B in chemistry you'll never get into Super Ultra Tech School with an internship with Giant Tech Corp and you might as well step in front of a CalTrain.

I don't think this has anything to do with emphasis on STEM, but more to do with emphasis on grades over knowledge and commitment. We've called schools out on this for decades, for emphasizing test scores over work quality and commitment.

We need to start to move away from the demand of high grades or no grad, because we're kneecapping our country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm pushing my kid into liberal arts.

He can like, write journal articles about obscure vaudeville performers or something.

• Locked thread