Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Is it normal to have the occasional crash -
Yes. Vanilla F3 is terribly unstable. Modding doesn't change much.

Try
4GB LAA
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/6510/
And stutter remover
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/8886/

I haven't tried either, but I am using a similar combination to the above with NV and went from the usual Bethesda CTD problems, to having absolutely none, with over 60 esps running.

Having said that, people say playing Fallout 3 with Tale of Two Wastelands going is a more stable way of playing Fallout 3, because you're effective playing F3 on a more recent and generally more stable engine. Considering my experience with NV (it did take some fiddling) I am inclined to agree.

If your crashes aren't too frequent, then just deal with it. Chances are, it has nothing to do with your mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you own both games, absolutely use TTW to play Fallout 3. There's a bunch of stability and general gameplay improvements that were added in NV that it makes the game better.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
So I'm fine with the occasional crash, but now I'm getting into the game proper, this bug is cropping up in nearly every battle. At least one enemy in a fight will suddenly spazz out and be invincible. They will also sort of teleport around a little. I can't shoot them normally, can't use VATS, and the effect persists until I close the game and restart. Anyone run into this and know what mod is causing it? Starting to get a little tired of these mods breaking the game constantly now, I'm on my forth restart from the beginning because the last few mods would cause the game to crash after about 15 minutes.

http://a.pomf.cat/stqebl.webm

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's sort of a weird zen from playing Fallout 3 where you don't have to worry about finding a good stopping point for a session, just wait until a crash comes and call it a day.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

So I'm fine with the occasional crash, but now I'm getting into the game proper, this bug is cropping up in nearly every battle. At least one enemy in a fight will suddenly spazz out and be invincible. They will also sort of teleport around a little. I can't shoot them normally, can't use VATS, and the effect persists until I close the game and restart. Anyone run into this and know what mod is causing it? Starting to get a little tired of these mods breaking the game constantly now, I'm on my forth restart from the beginning because the last few mods would cause the game to crash after about 15 minutes.

If anyone stumbles upon this in a google search someday, the problem was with CASM, the save manager. Apparently, it's a common problem, so I'm using Extended Save Manager now. Reran the super duper mart bandits a few times to confirm the problem is definitely gone.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I used to get this occasionally in vanilla fallout 3. I have no idea what causes it and I had to do what you did which was close and restart. Sometimes killing the enemy in the console would fix it but that only worked rarely.

This was one of the many reasons I just play New Vegas now.

*edit*

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

If anyone stumbles upon this in a google search someday, the problem was with CASM, the save manager. Apparently, it's a common problem, so I'm using Extended Save Manager now. Reran the super duper mart bandits a few times to confirm the problem is definitely gone.

Huh, interesting. I never used CASM before. I wonder if it's tied to the game saving at certain points?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

Huh, interesting. I never used CASM before. I wonder if it's tied to the game saving at certain points?

For some reason, it was always that female bandit that bugged out. I could have loaded that save and started shooting and she would usually bug out pretty quick 9 times out of 10 unless I happened to gib her with a grenade immediately. Kinda weird but I'm glad it seems to be fixed.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
So it doesn't really appear to be mentioned in the OP but how do you install The Armory? Apparently NMM doesn't like it so I've got to compile it myself like some kind of caveman?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Throw all that poo poo into your data folder and make sure that you enable basically all of the files that apply to you.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

New Vegas Anti Crash actually works with Fallout 3 too, if that helps. You just need to rename the NVSE folder in that mod to FOSE. LOOT will still think it's NVSE but it'll work. Might help make Fallout 3 more stable.

I'm kind of a purist so when I get the urge to play 3 I prefer not to add New Vegas' mechanics into the game, even though New Vegas is the better game so I generally avoid TTW.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So is there really any reason not to use power armour? I use it every playthrough and I just don't see any reason not to other than "because I want to use something else this playthrough"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kiggles posted:

Yes. Vanilla F3 is terribly unstable. Modding doesn't change much.

Vanilla Fallout 3's crashes and bugs (pre-patch, even) were so bizarre and numerous to me that they redefined my expectations when it comes to broken games. I worked in game testing and never saw anything as busted as that mess.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So is there really any reason not to use power armour? I use it every playthrough and I just don't see any reason not to other than "because I want to use something else this playthrough"

What, in Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

In 3, not really no. Unless you want to use the Chinese Stealth Suit which is also broken in it's own way, if you like being sneaky. In New Vegas it depends entirely on your character build and who you plan to ally with since most Power Armors in the game are faction armor which can complicate things.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There's never a reason to use any particular armor aside from looks. I mean yeah power armor is pretty good if you expect to be taking lots of damage in the near future, but after a while playing dress up is the only reason you need for anything.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It took me about four hours on Fallout 4 to make me remember just how good this game is. Goddamn you Obsidian, I'm now going to spend my time waiting for mods to make Fallout 4 like this.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's heavy armor, so you move a little slower and make a lot of noise that interferes with sneaking. Plus it weighs a lot, so trying to take it into Honest Hearts might cause problems.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It took me about four hours on Fallout 4 to make me remember just how good this game is. Goddamn you Obsidian, I'm now going to spend my time waiting for mods to make Fallout 4 like this.

What not liking the new and improved dialogue system?

Y Bear
X Bull
A The Divide
B Symbols

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Divide?-Y

Sarcastic X- -B Hate Tunnelers

The Divide-A

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Paracelsus posted:

It's heavy armor, so you move a little slower and make a lot of noise that interferes with sneaking. Plus it weighs a lot, so trying to take it into Honest Hearts might cause problems.

Let me tell you about a mod called Powered Power Armor, which makes power armor weightless when worn.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Let me tell you about a mod called Powered Power Armor, which makes power armor weightless when worn.

And a bunch of other poo poo you probably don't want and can't easily disable because why would anyone update their mod to use MCM in TYOOL 2015.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
playing fallout 4 has only made me want to play this more

is the op still essentially correct or are there new and exciting mods to use?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sperglord Firecock posted:

playing fallout 4 has only made me want to play this more

is the op still essentially correct or are there new and exciting mods to use?

there haven't been a lot of new mods for the last year, it's still basically correct, get YUP before everything else yadadaydadhafdxnsgbnsafd

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
It's been awhile but is there a way to make 5.56 ap ammo? I'm getting to the point where armor piercing is getting more and more important but almost all my 5.56 chambered guns are getting left in the dust. I'm almost exclusively using slugs and .308 at this point.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Red Mundus posted:

It's been awhile but is there a way to make 5.56 ap ammo? I'm getting to the point where armor piercing is getting more and more important but almost all my 5.56 chambered guns are getting left in the dust. I'm almost exclusively using slugs and .308 at this point.
nope, only AP ammo you can make is 5mm

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

Well, seeing as you're in the modding thread: Why not fire up the GECK or FNVEdit and make a recipe for making 5.56AP rounds?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Does anyone have the link to the DarN UI that had a MCM menu?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Raygereio posted:

Well, seeing as you're in the modding thread: Why not fire up the GECK or FNVEdit and make a recipe for making 5.56AP rounds?

Or just download one of the several goon made ammo crafting mods.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Since the armory appears to be dead(?) are there any other respected mods to add more guns and melee poo poo, because I sure love collecting poo poo

Aenobarbus
Nov 7, 2012
Taking the plunge and installing A Tale of Two Wastelands. Please tell me Signature Weapons and Signature Armor works with TTW.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Aenobarbus posted:

Taking the plunge and installing A Tale of Two Wastelands. Please tell me Signature Weapons and Signature Armor works with TTW.

They do. Mostly.

Signature Weapons has a built in list of the New Vegas unique weapons, and what they are based off of, so the perks would carry over if you picked up a unique version of the weapon. This functionality was for the New Vegas base game only though, so it doesn't work for weapons from mods or even the official DLCs. You can still make a Fallout 3 or mod added weapon your signature, but the perks won't carry over if you swap to a unique version of that weapon.

So if your signature weapon is the standard combat knife, the signature perks would also apply to Chance's knife (because its a NV unique) but not the Trench knife or Occam's Razor, since they're from FO3 and therefore not on the list.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Volt Catfish posted:

Since the armory appears to be dead(?) are there any other respected mods to add more guns and melee poo poo, because I sure love collecting poo poo

Weapons of the New Millenia should be your first stop if you don't have it already. Codename "Dickbutt" is the finest rifle this game has ever seen.

(seriously though, Millenia and Naky and some other people whose names I am forgetting team-up and have released a shitpot of good guns outside of the Armory and many are outside the New Millenia modpack. Just hit up the nexus for everything put out under Mil's name and/or do a post history for Naky in this thread.)

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 20, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Volt Catfish posted:

Project Weaponry isn't perfect but It does add a poo poo load of weapons. For pure melee try Bingles Melee mod, and Micalov's Weapon Pack adds a few weapons for every type.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Thanks to both of you!

The Mojave is calling.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Volt Catfish posted:

If you love collecting poo poo (and also Easter egg hunts) then AG Supplementary Uniques might be a great mod for you. I am pretty sure I have it in the OP and its most recent version has a ton of unique weapons for you to collect.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Oh man, setting up graphics mods is giving me a headache.

I've set up ENBSeries and Enhanced Shaders as detailed in the OP and have the following questions
  • is it supposed to make everything look blurry?
  • why does it seem to switch off when I look at my pipboy?
  • how can I improve how things look in the distance? At the moment distance objects and textures look terrible
  • how come only people and creatures within 10 feet of me have shadows?

I'm not sure where I've gone wrong

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 20, 2015

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
There's no Fallout 4 mods thread yet, and the main thread didn't reply to this, so I'll repost it here:

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Someone on the Fallout mods subreddit mentioned that pre-Creation Kit mods are risky and can gently caress your save files up in the long run for some reason or another (something about the way they're compiled?). They're basing this off of experiences from Skyrim's pre-Creation Kit era. Can anyone attest to this? There are some cool mods out, but I don't want my save game to eat poo poo.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

There's no Fallout 4 mods thread yet, and the main thread didn't reply to this, so I'll repost it here:

If you are talking about fallout 4 mods, yes it is risky. Most pre-creation kit era esp based mods tend have malformed records which has a high change of either crashing your game or causing save game corruption over the long term. Anything else should be fine.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

delta534 posted:

If you are talking about fallout 4 mods, yes it is risky. Most pre-creation kit era esp based mods tend have malformed records which has a high change of either crashing your game or causing save game corruption over the long term. Anything else should be fine.

That sucks, but thank you for the confirmation. I guess I'll stick with asset based mods for now. Would batch script based mods (e.g., one that ups the settlement size cap) be safe?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Yes there is.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752120&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Hobo on Fire posted:

They do. Mostly.

Signature Weapons has a built in list of the New Vegas unique weapons, and what they are based off of, so the perks would carry over if you picked up a unique version of the weapon. This functionality was for the New Vegas base game only though, so it doesn't work for weapons from mods or even the official DLCs. You can still make a Fallout 3 or mod added weapon your signature, but the perks won't carry over if you swap to a unique version of that weapon.

So if your signature weapon is the standard combat knife, the signature perks would also apply to Chance's knife (because its a NV unique) but not the Trench knife or Occam's Razor, since they're from FO3 and therefore not on the list.

IIRC, and it's been a while, when you abandon a non-supported weapon and set a new Signature, it refunds the skill points you've spent so you can invest them in the new one. Correct me if I'm wrong tho.