Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

fishmech posted:

They have given far more money to other people. poo poo, if an interview had worked out right my girlfriend would have been giving money to the Hillary campaign with an employer who's a major hedge fund and HFT company, instead of a video software company in a different city.

Sorry this upsets you?

Shifty Pony posted:

If she were a Republican she would be run out of the party years ago for daring to suggest that anything besides government regulation (CRA!!!!!) and those that took out the mortgages (poors!!!!) were to blame for the crash. The GOP actually thinks we need to deregulate harder because anything the Wall Street firms did that was "bad" was only done in response to government forcing them to do it.

Hillary is decently to the right of Sanders, particularly in rhetoric. But she she might as well be Marx reincarnated compared to the GOP which is riding the "deregulate!" rocket rightward so quickly it has time-shifted them into thinking it is the 1980s.

Yes, I imagine they would much rather see a GOP candidate advocating eliminating capital gains taxes get elected than Hillary Clinton. This does not mean those things are good and that we should just accept them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Alligator Horse posted:

Agreed. We should be lardoning them.

Only an authoritarian would openly advocate for sending a pardoned bird to the fryer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maarek posted:

she said terrorists attacked Wall Street on 9/11

Wall St is 4 blocks away from WTC, politifact rates this as half true.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Maarek posted:

Yes, I imagine they would much rather see a GOP candidate advocating eliminating capital gains taxes get elected than Hillary Clinton. This does not mean those things are good and that we should just accept them, though.

You still haven't said what specific policies she's proposed that you don't agree with and that make her markedly so different from Bernie. Outside of Glass-Stegal, which she's proposed addressing in a different way that's likely more politically possible, and also has more teeth, she's not that far removed from Elizabeth Warren or Bernie.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think this has anything to do with emphasis on STEM, but more to do with emphasis on grades over knowledge and commitment. We've called schools out on this for decades, for emphasizing test scores over work quality and commitment.

We need to start to move away from the demand of high grades or no grad, because we're kneecapping our country.

That's nonsense. What's at issue here is the high pressure to succeed and that success being measurable. What's at issue here is that these kids feel that the "acceptable" bar is set insanely high and they can't reach it. It doesn't really have to do with if that bar is set by test scores. If they're being holistically measured by their teachers and assigned holistic grades that measure their knowledge and commitment it's going to be the exact same pressure: did I get grades high enough to get into Harvard like my dad and everyone else he knows, or am I a failure.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
career minded people generally have a difficult time accepting that their kids might not be as intelligent or motivated as they are. these values can't always be drilled into someone

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

If they're being holistically measured by their teachers and assigned holistic grades that measure their knowledge and commitment it's going to be the exact same pressure: did I get grades high enough to get into Harvard like my dad and everyone else he knows, or am I a failure.

"Did you get straight As? If not you'll never succeed."

Its the problem the Asian community has faced for decades: overemphasis on only the highest performing grade students, despite the fact that some of the most successful scientists and engineers are not straight A students, and overemphasis on students with high grades does not actually emphasize a quality student, only someone who can regurgitate learned knowledge when needed.

In other news:

quote:

While a majority of the nation's governors have asked the Obama administration to stop the resettlement of Syrian refugees in their state, a prominent Tennessee lawmaker has gone a step further: He's suggested the National Guard round up recently arrived refugees and prevent the arrival of additional refugees.

"If I err, it will be on the side of not having another Paris, France," said state Rep. Glen Casada, the chairman of the House Republican Caucus in the state Legislature. "When we let them in, we are letting terrorists in."

"We gather them, we take them back to ICE," said Casada, referring to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, "we say, 'gentlemen, make sure these guys have no tie to terrorist activity.' "
http://www.npr.org/2015/11/19/45650...tm_content=2046

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

"Did you get straight As? If not you'll never succeed."

Its the problem the Asian community has faced for decades: overemphasis on only the highest performing grade students, despite the fact that some of the most successful scientists and engineers are not straight A students, and overemphasis on students with high grades does not actually emphasize a quality student, only someone who can regurgitate learned knowledge when needed.

Yes, but you're still missing the point. The pressure does not get alleviated one bit by shifting to a more accurate measurement. Hell, it would probably get even worse because then you can't even comfort yourself as much by perhaps the measurement is wrong.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like Palo Alto needs an arts-orientated charter school.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You still haven't said what specific policies she's proposed that you don't agree with and that make her markedly so different from Bernie. Outside of Glass-Stegal, which she's proposed addressing in a different way that's likely more politically possible, and also has more teeth, she's not that far removed from Elizabeth Warren or Bernie.

Yes, outside of one of the few concrete policy positions she's taken on Wall Street which was abjectly terrible, her position on Wall Street is not very different than Bernie Sanders'. If this is what you want to believe and advocate in this thread, please go right ahead.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Rep. Steve Russell (R-OK) delivered a speech on the House floor Wednesday tearing into his colleagues' push to restrict Syrian refugees' ability to come to the U.S., arguing that such policies will make the U.S. like the Islamic State.

"While I have focused my comments on actions we should take to eliminate ISIS, one action we should not take is to become like them. America is a lamp that lights the horizon of civilized and free mankind. The Statue of Liberty cannot have a stiff arm. Her arm must continue to keep the torch burning brightly," he said in his floor speech.

"But if we use our passions and our anger, fear, and we use that to snuff our her flame by xenophobic and knee-jerk policy, the enemy wins. We have played into their hands. Period," he continued.

Russell then described the rigorous process the U.S. uses to screen Syrian refugees.

"Americans across the country now are calling on Lady Liberty to drop her torch and give the stiff arm with perhaps even another gesture," he said.

He noted that in 1939, members of Congress made similar comments opposing a refugee bill that would have aided Jews fleeing Nazi Germany.

"America protects her liberty and defends her shores not by punishing those who would be free. She does it by guarding liberty with her life. Americans need to sacrifice and wake up. We must not become them. They win if we give up who we are and even more-so without a fight," Russell said.

well I didn't expect that out of an oklahoma republican

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
what a RINO

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Yes, but you're still missing the point. The pressure does not get alleviated one bit by shifting to a more accurate measurement. Hell, it would probably get even worse because then you can't even comfort yourself as much by perhaps the measurement is wrong.

This is true, but at least the smart people who test badly (there are not a few of them) will understand the shift in metrics benefits them and in general better captures the efficacy of schooling. You're right though in that the policy change won't necessarily alleviate stress for kids and may very well--certainly in the interim years--heighten it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maarek posted:

Yes, outside of one of the few concrete policy positions she's taken on Wall Street which was abjectly terrible, her position on Wall Street is not very different than Bernie Sanders'. If this is what you want to believe and advocate in this thread, please go right ahead.

instead of getting pissy you could maybe explain why you're pissy? i mean it's very clear you don't like clinton but you're not doing a very good job of explaining why except that she's not bernie sanders

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Maarek posted:

i would be shocked if you actually knew what policy positions she's taken on wall street

I mean, I don't either, I can just sense you don't have the faintest clue either despite confidently posting about them

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

MODESTO, Calif. (AP) — He strutted, he gobbled and he puffed up his feathers like his life depended on it. And it did.

The turkey's outgoing personality and good looks helped spare him from the Thanksgiving plate. The bird, named Tom One, was chosen for a presidential pardon from a dozen finalists Thursday at a Northern California farm.

The bird will board a flight called Turkey One in San Francisco to head to the White House ceremony with President Barack Obama ahead of the holiday. After that, he will be sent to live at a farm in Virginia.

lmao I'm going to ask my parents to save the Modesto Bee about this, I'm sure its all the front page can talk about.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://wonkette.com/596182/looks-like-davhe-couch-again

What is it with Vitter and youtube? All his videos have a preview image that looks absolutely ridiculous.

Or is that just how he always looks?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

evilweasel posted:

Good for him.

And I mean that with 100% sincerity.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Alligator Horse posted:

Agreed. We should be lardoning them.

Why do you lash out like this?

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

evilweasel posted:

i would be shocked if you actually knew what policy positions she's taken on wall street

I mean, I don't either, I can just sense you don't have the faintest clue either despite confidently posting about them

That's cool buddy, if you'd like to go ahead and post some of them feel free to do that.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

That man is going to die :ohdear:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Maarek posted:

That's cool buddy, if you'd like to go ahead and post some of them feel free to do that.

I don't think anyone feels like playing 20 questions to pinpoint the specific policies you are upset about.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Maarek posted:

Perhaps if you don't know them you shouldn't be confidently posting about them and scorning people for not agreeing with your uninformed viewpoint was the undercurrent of that post. If you do know them at all, you could post about why you think they're bad!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
"By refusing refugees we are playing right into this obvious ISIS ploy" should really be a talking point repeated more often.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's true that the outcomes and opportunities for students who get into very selective colleges are significantly better than for those who do not. But it's also true that an undergraduate education at non-selective schools is adequate for achieving a comfortable middle class status. What needs to be done is to lower the differential between the two such that the incentives to perversely push oneself to achieve the threshold for the limited spaces in the selective institutions aren't so great as to have negative health consequences.

Fortunately, doing this by increasing the tax burden on those who benefit most from prestigious education can be used to fund an expansion of access to higher education for others.

Oh, and by the way, neither STEM nor the liberal arts are the most popular field of study in college right now. There are nearly twice as many business majors as the next most popular field, which is psychology.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Good for him.

And I mean that with 100% sincerity.

Yeah, same here, I don't know anything else about the guy but at least he's right on that issue and willing to risk his house seat to do the right thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sir Tonk posted:

What is it with Vitter and youtube? All his videos have a preview image that looks absolutely ridiculous.

Or is that just how he always looks?

Yup.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

evilweasel posted:

Perhaps if you don't know them you shouldn't be confidently posting about them and scorning people for not agreeing with your uninformed viewpoint was the undercurrent of that post. If you do know them at all, you could post about why you think they're bad!

"Tell me exactly what you don't like?"
"Her position Glass-Steagall, the things she says, the people who give her money."
"Yeah but uh aside from that."

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Maarek posted:

Normally when you challenge an assertion, it's on you to provide evidence backing your challenge. There's enough baseless speculation that you probably don't need to add more.

Edit: Perhaps you could offer a why there too. instead of just stating you don't like her position in Glass-Stegall, maybe explain what about it you don't like.

Raerlynn fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 20, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maarek posted:

"Her position Glass-Steagall, the things she says, the people who give her money."

the things she says and the people who give her money aren't policy positions though. it seems like clinton's greatest crime is not being bernie sanders

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the things she says and the people who give her money aren't policy positions though. it seems like clinton's greatest crime is not being bernie sanders

We've established that rhetoric doesn't really matter so someone just drop a concrete policy proposal on us here and we'll dig in to it. You didn't like my answer about Glass-Steagall or my arguments about campaign finance, so let's get down to the brass tacks.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Ambitious woman's greatest political crime is not being old, white male Senator. News at 11.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Maarek posted:

"the things she says", what are those things? What's wrong with them?

See, this is what I mean, you don't actually know anything about the issue. If she's bad on Wall Street - and she might be - you do no good just by whining that she's bad and then running and hiding when asked how, exactly. If you're going to try to act like you know more about the issue than other people, you probably should know something about it.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Lay it on me, evilweasel. I'm a baby bird, feed me some knowledge. What policies should we talk about?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh for god's sake. Maarek being a Bernout shouldn't override when he's actually saying something right. Hillary Clinton has problematic opinions on financial policy, which Maarek has given concrete examples of already. If you disagree and think he's wrong on those points, actually say so instead of pretending he's being vague.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

An Angry Bug posted:

Oh for god's sake. Maarek being a Bernout shouldn't override when he's actually saying something right. Hillary Clinton has problematic opinions on financial policy, which Maarek has given concrete examples of already. If you disagree and think he's wrong on those points, actually say so instead of pretending he's being vague.

Policies don't matter in campaigns; winning matters.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maarek posted:

We've established that rhetoric doesn't really matter so someone just drop a concrete policy proposal on us here and we'll dig in to it. You didn't like my answer about Glass-Steagall or my arguments about campaign finance, so let's get down to the brass tacks.

"i don't like X" isn't really an argument. we get that you don't like clinton, the odd part is that you're hesitant to really elaborate as to why. usually people have some kind of detailed critique instead of general handwaving references, if they're really passionate or informed about the thing they're critiquing

maybe you feel like you're not being vague and you're being unjustly attacked by vacant rhetoric to drive you out of the thread? but i personally don't see what your issue is aside from some policies and rhetoric related to wall street that you don't seem to want to go into further detail on, so, you know, ok, thanks for sharing your opinion i guess

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

An Angry Bug posted:

I am literally asking him to give those concrete examples and he's refusing to do it. I am being quite open that I do not know where she stands, I just want someone who thinks it's important to actually do a smidgen of work to support their claim and identify why she's bad so we can discuss that. Because that is actually useful to me in knowing if she's bad or not, while Maarek's uninformed opinion is not.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

evilweasel posted:

I am literally asking him to give those concrete examples and he's refusing to do it.

Maarek posted:

Uh-huh, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

evilweasel posted:

I am literally asking him to give those concrete examples and he's refusing to do it. I am being quite open that I do not know where she stands, I just want someone who thinks it's important to actually do a smidgen of work to support their claim and identify why she's bad so we can discuss that. Because that is actually useful to me in knowing if she's bad or not, while Maarek's uninformed opinion is not.

Here's the fact sheet her campaign released on her fairly detailed financial plan: https://www.hillaryclinton.com/p/briefing/factsheets/2015/10/08/wall-street-work-for-main-street/

And here is a Vox rundown of how it measures up to Liz Warren's litmus test: http://www.vox.com/2015/10/8/9482521/hillary-clinton-financial-reform

• Locked thread