Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stump
Jan 19, 2006

Tomarse posted:

Welcome to dealing with BT
My parents are having a nightmare getting a phone line installed at their place the highlands. They have been trying to get one installed for about a year now. Their neighbours phone line runs right past their front door too.

Not a new build though. They own 3 out of a row of 4 connected 116 year old wooden but and bens. When they bought the first two it had electricity and cold water, but no toilets or drainage. The old alcoholic who lived there previously used to poo poo in the garden. Thankfully buying the third one in the row got them a septic tank which allowed them move in. It's still half finished... no hot water yet but it is going to be a great house when it's done, the living room comprises the whole of the first house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Checked pricing on mounting/balancing/disposal etc and to see what the local shops had for tires. Got a couple of hilarious quotes. One was $40 per tire for mounting, another place wanted $160 ea for Firestone weatherforces.

Les schwab will take care of mounting for 60 and then the actual Firestone store offered a pretty good deal on blizzak ws80s. 510 out the door which is less than $30 more than the generals + studs would work out to. Might go with those instead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

Um, yes they do. Almost every single model of iMac does. "Memory is not user-removable on iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), and iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) computers", that's it, and they still have slots you just have to disassemble the unit to access them, with the exception of the VERY LATEST 21" model ("• Memory in iMac (21-inch, Late 2015) and iMac (Retina 4K, 21-inch, Late 2015) is not upgradeable.") which is understandable since chances are nobody's ever upgrading the RAM in a 21".

Inability to access the HDD is a bit of a bitch though.

And yes, you can swap the SSD out on the laptops with nothing but a pentalobe screwdriver (and a torx for the actual SSD retaining screw). No RAM upgrades, but while that pisses off us power users for 99% of users it doesn't make a lick of difference.

(apple still do hella stupid poo poo though, like how the new mac pro is inferior to the old one in quite a few ways)

I'm gonna say this again: Dell Precision M4600, M6600, etc.

They are pretty cheap second hand, extremely powerful, extremely upgradeable, and give you manuals on how to service them. Plus: 4 RAM slots in a laptop, upgradeable CPUs, up to 3 Hard Disks with RAID, 4 if you get the bigger models (including the mSATA SSD)

Excellent graphics cards, cheap parts.

C'mon guys, its a power users dream.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do you know what one thing limits me to like 2, 3 laptop choices?
My undying need to use a Trackpoint. Everyone else at my company is on Macs, but I have to buy my own Lenovo X1 Carbon to get the trackpoint on a machine that can do dev work.
The touch screen is really nice, though. I find myself tapping other screens reflexively.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Do you know what one thing limits me to like 2, 3 laptop choices?
My undying need to use a Trackpoint. Everyone else at my company is on Macs, but I have to buy my own Lenovo X1 Carbon to get the trackpoint on a machine that can do dev work.
The touch screen is really nice, though. I find myself tapping other screens reflexively.

Guess what the Dell Precision has?

Other than cat fur on it...
Oh, and being able to drive 4-5 monitors natively is really nice for dev and sys admin work.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm watching South Park for the first time in years (hotel tv aww yeah) and it's not bad I guess? But at some point the animation style lost its crude charm, maybe sometime around 2005 I don't know.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I've heard those aren't as good? But I haven't tried any in the last few generations.
Do they use the same form factor for mounting the trackpoint nipple? In addition to needing a trackpoint, I also insist on the concave nipple.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

I've heard those aren't as good? But I haven't tried any in the last few generations.
Do they use the same form factor for mounting the trackpoint nipple? In addition to needing a trackpoint, I also insist on the concave nipple.

It uses a square mount, and I've swapped trackpoint nubs from other laptops.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I used to be a clitmouse fetishist for a long time - had a lot of Thinkpads over the years, all the way back to a first-gen Pentium with NiMH batteries. But after using Apple trackpads, no other laptop pointing system comes close.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just watched the pilot for The Man in the High Castle. Hella dissappointed that they completely missed the tone of one of my favorite books.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I used to be a clitmouse fetishist for a long time - had a lot of Thinkpads over the years, all the way back to a first-gen Pentium with NiMH batteries. But after using Apple trackpads, no other laptop pointing system comes close.

I'm still using an X61 for work due to size, keyboard, and clitmouse. Unfortunately it's starting to show its age because Chrome and Linux are fat hogs.

I'm thinking an X1 is next, although the keyboard isn't as good. My usage habits tend to include a lot of middle clicking so three real buttons are pretty important.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can't stop watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoUyFcDA27M
How do the small round dies help shape / brace the inside of the tube?

1500quidporsche posted:

Just watched the pilot for The Man in the High Castle. Hella dissappointed that they completely missed the tone of one of my favorite books.

That's too bad. The fetishism on the West Coast for Japanese mannerisms was so creepy. Like weeaboos actually were status quo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

That's too bad. The fetishism on the West Coast for Japanese mannerisms was so creepy. Like weeaboos actually were status quo.

That was my primary problem with it. In the novel most of the characters were pretty isolated and there was a creepy copying of the oppressing culture in order to get ahead. In the show as soon as the doors are closed every character practically says "gently caress those dirty japs"

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

CommieGIR posted:

Other than cat fur on it...
Oh, and being able to drive 4-5 monitors natively is really nice for dev and sys admin work.

Touch pad not centered, get the gently caress out

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nodoze posted:

Touch pads? Get the gently caress out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nodoze posted:

It's correctly centered under the keyboard, on a laptop that has a full numberpad. If they centered it on the actual laptop, it'd be weirdly skewed to the right of the keyboard and the buttons wouldn't sit under your thumb while you use the trackpoint with an index finger.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse posted:

Welcome to dealing with BT. New buildings are horrible to get connected. If they have to cross a road or someone else's property to get to your house it's gonna take them longer than Christmas. If they have to dig anything then add a few more months.

That's the weird thing, there's an openreach hatch in the "road" between these three new houses 20 feet from my front door and a coil of bt branded cable in each of the front lawns. The ground work has been done, unless the hatch is empty :suicide: I need an engineer to come connect the cable to my house and fit a faceplate (I asked, doing it myself may result in Brasil AC levels of retaliatory works) and do some magic with the other end of the string to plug it into the internet.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

jammyozzy posted:

Threw an SSD in my old Thinkpad T410 yesterday and put Win 8.1 on it because hey, once I turn all the charms poo poo off and put a real start menu back it's not too bad. I've just spent the last 3 hours trying to install Lenovo's crappy function key drivers so I can turn Wifi and Bluetooth on and off. The solution, naturally, is to install a version a year out of date in Win 7 compatability mode. :shepicide:

When this thing dies I'm buying a Mac.

That stuff usually works out of the box on most laptops with a fresh 7, 8, or often even XP install, you just don't get any indication that anything has happened. Or is Lenovo that much of a special snowflake?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The answer is to run your T410 on the Windows 7 it came with.
I'm running a T410s right now and can turn everything off without that poo poo. With an SSD, this is still a mostly functional laptop, which is good because I'm cheap.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i love my t440 except the touchpad is overly sensitive and badly placed; you constantly brush against it while typing, jumping your loving cursor halfway across the screen

also click and drag functionality only works on windows (ie not icons/files) and involves double tapping (not clicking, which the whole pad does) and holding the second tap until the window kinda flashes a little and then you can drag. since the whole touchpad (except the bottom right corner which acts as right click) is the mouse button, you can't click it and then also drag over the pad while clicked, it doesnt register. and you also cant click the pad and use the nipple mouse to move.

and the best part is there's apparently no way whatsoever to turn it off that doesnt involve like BIOS hacks

it's real annoyib 5 inches away from the touchpad. ng when you're trying to type a paragraph real quick for homework anking like this anytime you don't hold your thud your poo poo keeps loo (this sentence simulated for effect)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

also click and drag functionality only works on windows (ie not icons/files) and involves double tapping (not clicking, which the whole pad does) and holding the second tap until the window kinda flashes a little and then you can drag. since the whole touchpad (except the bottom right corner which acts as right click) is the mouse button, you can't click it and then also drag over the pad while clicked, it doesnt register. and you also cant click the pad and use the nipple mouse to move.

and the best part is there's apparently no way whatsoever to turn it off that doesnt involve like BIOS hacks

This kind of poo poo is a big reason why I can't deal with Windows laptops. For some reason, any non-Apple company (even on high-dollar products) seems to be unable to produce a trackpad that is worth even half a poo poo. Whenever I try to use a classmate's trackpad I get irrationally angry at how janky it is.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

some texas redneck posted:

That stuff usually works out of the box on most laptops with a fresh 7, 8, or often even XP install, you just don't get any indication that anything has happened. Or is Lenovo that much of a special snowflake?

WiFi worked out of the box but it refused turn the Bluetooth radio on. :shrug: You're right that it should have worked, hence my frustration.

nm posted:

The answer is to run your T410 on the Windows 7 it came with.

This is probably the answer, but I wanted bitlocker and was too bloody minded to admit I'd made a mistake. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nodoze posted:

Its not supposed to be, and it looks better that way :colbert:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Yes it is, and no it doesn't :argh:

Fuuck so I went to get the biennial tech inspection and their passenger car line is broken today. All other places closed after lunch, of course, so I'll need to keep driving with expired poo poo over the weekend. Maybe that's ok though since I had the passenger seat out to transport winter wheels, which caused the airbag light to go on. And I also need to hit the front fender near the light to get it to turn on.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just talked to the HR department of the 2nd fiber optics company. They do random piss tests which is kind of a bummer. Plus they start you off at a lower wage than I am making now. Still gonna set up an interview anyways. I don't mind the idea of pre-hre drug testing but randoms just piss me off. None of your business what I do in my own home not on work hours.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just talked to the HR department of the 2nd fiber optics company. They do random piss tests which is kind of a bummer. Plus they start you off at a lower wage than I am making now. Still gonna set up an interview anyways. I don't mind the idea of pre-hre drug testing but randoms just piss me off. None of your business what I do in my own home not on work hours.

The land of the free. :smuggo:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Yes it is, and no it doesn't :argh:

:colbert:

It's there because its a full size keyboard, and because if it was in the middle, your palm of your right hand would sit directly on top of the touchpad when typing. That's loving annoying. If it didn't have the num pad, it would be centered, but I want my god damned num pad.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert:

It's there because its a full size keyboard, and because if it was in the middle, your palm of your right hand would sit directly on top of the touchpad when typing. That's loving annoying. If it didn't have the num pad, it would be centered, but I want my god damned num pad.

The palms of your hands shouldn't sit on anything when you're typing :colbert:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I may have to resort to dryer ducting and zip ties for a few days.....

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
:toot:

Took a few tries to figure out the appropriate setting, but this one came out like bare minimum acceptable. Fatcow said it's probably Columbus, OH.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
In timg form I thought it was a closeup of a cracked windshield.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Phone posted:

Fatcow said it's probably Columbus, OH.

Wow, that's...nicely done.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

The palms of your hands shouldn't sit on anything when you're typing :colbert:

Fine, bump it. Either way, I don't want the touchpad anywhere near my palms while typing.

And yes, I type with my palms flat.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Since we were talking about mash ups earlier :

https://youtu.be/DbEDsaMcS_8

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The laptop keyboard shouldn't have a numpad because it causes the center of the keyboard and consequently pointing devices to be too off-center with the screen. The trackpad doesn't matter because you disable it and use the clit as civilized person.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

The laptop keyboard shouldn't have a numpad because it causes the center of the keyboard and consequently pointing devices to be too off-center with the screen.

Function over form, thank you very much. I need a numpad, I don't want a USB numpad, and your hatred of asymmetry is confusing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My coolant is pink, it should not be pink, it should be orange. Could atf contamination do this, even if its not milky pink?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
maybe it's supporting breast cancer awareness.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

My coolant is pink, it should not be pink, it should be orange. Could atf contamination do this, even if its not milky pink?

Yup:

http://www.compressionstroke.com/atf-contamination/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Lots of companies say that they can do random screening, but I don't think very many actually do it unless they have a reason. My company has the provision for random testing, but unless you start acting strange at work or give them some sort of indicator of an issue, they don't actually do it.

• Locked thread