Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Though to be honest, settle lots of red dice was not what I found to be an overpowered strategy. It is good, but develop spam is stronger for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rutibex posted:

There is a logical disconnect in that reasoning.

Rutibex posted:

I don't think we should be regulating the quota of what sort of art is allowed to be produced in our society. That is really totalitarian.

:ironicat:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Single Tight Female posted:

While we're on the subject I'd like to start a petition to get some beefcakes in my board games actually

Like right now there's I dunno a couple overly dressed handsome men in Eldritch Horror and that's about it. Flash Point missed a chance to get real weird with it.

Flash Point would be a much better game if the box just contained a flash drive with 4 gigs of sexy firemen pics

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Its so bizarre, if a woman decides to dress sexy then it is empowering, but if men decide that they like looking at sexy women it is degrading. It's also super hosed up to be telling artists what they should and should not be creating, this is supposed to be a society of free expression.

I am 100% not on board with the new internet morality, it feels too much like Sharia law or puritanism in sheeps clothing.

It's so bizarre. If I decide to give my money to the homeless it's altruism, but if they decide to take it from me it is theft.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rutibex posted:

All art is objectification, you can't talk to a statue and understand its soul, you are only supposed to appreciate the form. There is nothing wrong with liking the female form, and liking the female form in no way implies that a person does not respect womens minds. There is a logical disconnect in that reasoning.

I don't think we should be regulating the quota of what sort of art is allowed to be produced in our society. That is really totalitarian.

There's a difference between "this is bad and tasteless" and "we should literally have the government burn this bad and tasteless game and execute everyone involved in its creation".

Tekopo posted:

Talking about Boardgaming-online, anyone for a game?

holy gently caress look at this nazi trying to press-gang people into online boardgame concentration camps, sorry thread i don't support this new boardgame communist jihad

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I think the thing that makes me most angry is people who insist games should have mostly male characters because "the hobby is mostly guys, and guys shouldn't have to ever play as a female character"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

homullus posted:

It's so bizarre. If I decide to give my money to the homeless it's altruism, but if they decide to take it from me it is theft.

You can't commit trademark infringement against an entire gender, If a man draws a picture of a women he has not stolen from anyone.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I think you guys get worked up by a bunch of stuff that doesn't really matter in the long run and no one is forcing you to participate in. I'm sure there are a few cases, but I can't remember reading a post in this thread even discussing one of these games besides someone linking a kickstarter stating how horrible it is.

Plenty of games without titties for everyone to enjoy.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Turn left boardgame thread! Turn left!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

You can't commit trademark infringement against an entire gender, If a man draws a picture of a women he has not stolen from anyone.

A given action can have very different meaning when you change who has initiated it, you dig?

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I am 100% not on board with the new internet morality, it feels too much like Sharia law or puritanism in sheeps clothing.

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 20, 2015

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Rutibex posted:

Thread name right here.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Flash Point would be a much better game if the box just contained a flash drive with 4 gigs of sexy firemen pics

As long as that's clearly designated on the box. The LCG thread already burnt me on AGOT 2nd edition with their misleading usage of "Bara"

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I get to choose what I spend money on, and I'm not spending money on Epic. I explained why. How is that regulation again??? The market determines a product's sales and profitability. If you put out stuff that a lot of your demographic finds distasteful, no matter what that is, you will not sell as much. This has been known since what the 1100's when formal markets first came into being??

:cmon:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Everyone please remember you're responding to Rubitex.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I don't know why suckers overpay for titty minis. I just use sculpting putty to add titties to all my miniatures/meeples.

The downside is my Agricola worker discs don't stack nicely anymore.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lorini posted:

I get to choose what I spend money on, and I'm not spending money on Epic. I explained why. How is that regulation again??? The market determines a product's sales and profitability. If you put out stuff that a lot of your demographic finds distasteful, no matter what that is, you will not sell as much. This has been known since what the 1100's when formal markets first came into being??

:cmon:

If a white supremacist klansman doesn't buy noted good game arkham horror just because one of the characters is black, then that is evil and wrong. When you refuse to buy Cthulhutits: A Zombie-Busting Zomboob Bustaganza, you are no different.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Boardgamergate, brought to you by Rutibex. :psyduck:

Speaking of Roll, my group has long thought that produce/consume was already the strongest strategy if no one is rushing a bunch of colonize/develope. Maybe it's just the way we've been playing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If a white supremacist klansman doesn't buy noted good game arkham horror just because one of the characters is black, then that is evil and wrong. When you refuse to buy Cthulhutits: A Zombie-Busting Zomboob Bustaganza, you are no different.

I'm still laughing, that was great.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is there currently no way to get the Mage Knight Lost Legion expansion for less than $100 without eBaying it?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there currently no way to get the Mage Knight Lost Legion expansion for less than $100 without eBaying it?

Buy it from Canadian Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/Wizkids-Knight-Legion-Expansion-Board/dp/B009KBFXWK/

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When you refuse to buy Cthulhutits: A Zombie-Busting Zomboob Bustaganza, you are no different.

Somebody with some cred PM Ettin to make this the new thread title. Please.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Offered wood for sheep; received Puritanism in sheep's clothing

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Well that settles it, time to purchase Lap Dance to fight against the Puritanical Man.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Single Tight Female posted:

While we're on the subject I'd like to start a petition to get some beefcakes in my board games actually

Like right now there's I dunno a couple overly dressed handsome men in Eldritch Horror and that's about it. Flash Point missed a chance to get real weird with it.

No joke, I'm a straight male, and I would totally buy a copy of Flash Point: Fire Rescue: Sexy Fireman Calander Edition. Definitely like to see more beefcake to go with the cheesecake (cheeseburger cake?), and cake in general should be a secondary option as opposed to the default.

Also, the schadenfreude of watching Rutibex's fall from ironic grace lately has been exquisite.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Steampunk Rally is a good example of a game with decent representation in it. There's like 5 women characters, two black characters and a Japanese one - and it's historically based (ish. It's steampunk.) It would have been very easy for that game to go in the direction of some other major historically-oriented board games (cough cough Through the Ages) and make history the white man's world.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Agreed re: steampunk rally.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Speaking of Steampunk Rally, they just issued errata and an FAQ for it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1476207/official-errata-steampunk-rally-20151119

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SynthOrange posted:

I'm more concerned by the huge nipples on the bare chested guys.

It took me a long time to realise that the dude on the left doesn't have a toga pinned to his nipple ring.

It's the Drow's sword

That's some really loving bad composition work.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

vs
I honestly can not see the important distinction, the Epic art obviously has like 20% larger breasts but they are not outside the realm of normal anatomy or anything :shrug: I just don't see why sexy pictures of women is degrading to anyone. Its so bizarre, if a woman decides to dress sexy then it is empowering, but if men decide that they like looking at sexy women it is degrading. It's also super hosed up to be telling artists what they should and should not be creating, this is supposed to be a society of free expression.

I actually don't think it should be censored at all! In fact, all bad games should have tasteless art! Those poisonous rain forest frogs with the bright colors, think of how consumer friendly they are. Imagine if all dangerous flora and fauna clearly branded itself as such!

/bizarrorutibex

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

fozzy fosbourne posted:

FFG's 2nd edition Game of Thrones card game has some pretty cool art of womenz in it, it even has some not-completely-gorgeous women:
I think they did a pretty good job. I loooooove the art on Lady, that last card with the crappy photo

Is that the art for the expansions, or is there a reprint of GoT 2d with new art and card layouts?

Edit:
Oh, dumb, that's the LCG.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Rutibex said something stupid once about racial equality or political correctness or some poo poo, so I jokingly PMed him a link to an article from a sociological journal about privilege, institutional social prestige, and cultures of power.

He responded by saying "I believe that some cultures are in fact better than others," and "dominant cultures are that way for a reason and if people don't like the way their culture is portrayed they should change their self identity."

:chanpop:

e: basically nerds are terrible. :3:

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Are any of the deals on the FFG website that great? There's a lot of big box games for only 10 bucks, and I was thinking of blindly purchasing some of them.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I bought Nexus Ops on sale last year, but I've since gotten rid of it. Hasn't aged very well and I'd just about always rather play Kemet or Blood Rage.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is that the one with a board made of hexes, dice combat, 6 kind of troops and that really encourages aggression? If so, I agree that Kemet does everything it does, and does it better.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Uno mas online boardgaming site with some more niche-y games: http://www.slothninja.com/, has After The Flood, Confucius, Guild of Thieves, Indonesia, Tammany Hall.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

Is that the one with a board made of hexes, dice combat, 6 kind of troops and that really encourages aggression? If so, I agree that Kemet does everything it does, and does it better.

That's the one. If I want clever scoring and more involved card-play Blood Rage does a good job of that, while Kemet's basically the best tactical engine-build/punch-everyone dudes on a map I've found.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Andarel posted:

That's the one. If I want clever scoring and more involved card-play Blood Rage does a good job of that, while Kemet's basically the best tactical engine-build/punch-everyone dudes on a map I've found.

Nexus Ops is also a massive eyesore. That board/miniatures combo is hideous.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Andarel posted:

But Nexus Ops can be played in 45 minutes to an hour with 4 and is still a pretty fun game.

Bottom Liner posted:

Nexus Ops is also a massive eyesore. That board/miniatures combo is hideous.

Not if you're cool and old school and have the OG version. :smugdog:
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Andarel posted:

I bought Nexus Ops on sale last year, but I've since gotten rid of it. Hasn't aged very well and I'd just about always rather play Kemet or Blood Rage.

If I recall, it does the thing that I hate in Twilight Imperium, in that every unit type needs to have its own combat resolution/rolling phase. It slows combat down soooo much, especially compared to something like Kemet where it's just like, reveal card, add number, resolve consequences. It probably would have been a decent design when it came out, but it has definitely been obsoleted.