Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That said Jeb isn't McCain and Trump isn't Giuliani but the statistical model doesn't know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Any statistician worth their salt should happily adjust their predictive models to reflect new data, and this is especially true when when their current models are based on a statistically insignificant number of samples and otherwise limited data. Nate Silver shook things up when he first entered political punditry because he was using data instead of gut feelings. But I suspect the politicization of his blog (in the sense that he and the blog has the "reputation" that he feels he has to protect) has lead him to stubbornly stick to his guns instead of dispassionately updating his models. He and the blog are also becoming much more punditlike, in their usage of "conventional wisdom" that is similarity derived from gut feelings and insufficient sample size.

Dude just isn't good at statistics.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Lord of Pie posted:

Buying up a ton of TV ads is a huge waste anyway because you're lucky if people pay attention to them the first time, and the more they run the more they get tuned out until you reach that magical point where you actively piss people off with all your loving constant ads.

They'd be better off spending the ad money on sponsored tweets and facebook posts calling their opponent a fat low-energy slob.

I have an example of this, that stupid pickup truck ad that tries to equate HARD WORK with Hunger Games. Been seeing it several times a night. :argh:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think nate's point is that Trump can't ride like 12% of the country to the white house so boosted needs to stop crowing that it's a done deal.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Joementum posted:

Which is true. In the extremely low chance of a brokered convention, Walker is a reasonable compromise candidate, making his chance of being the nominee non-zero.

This is operating under the assumption that the party would rather self-destruct than ever have Donald Trump as their candidate?

Because that is a valid point.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

William Bear posted:

Why would Nate Silver dismissively mention that only 25% of America identifies as Republican? It doesn't seem relevant to discussion of Donald Trump's position in the Republican primaries, in which Republicans tend to vote.

because people keep bugging him with messages to the effect of "since he's the leading Republican (with a tiny plurality of the Republican vote), he's surely going to win the presidency!!".

Montasque posted:

This is operating under the assumption that the party would rather self-destruct than ever have Donald Trump as their candidate?

The RNC is exactly the sort of spiteful pricks who'd rules lawyer their way to ensuring that even if The Donald got all the delegates they still wouldn't give him the nomination.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

He didn't, but for him and everyone else on his site to say Jeb! is still TWICE as likely as Trump at this point (this was in their most recent update on the field) is ridiculous and simply asking for failure.

Right, I'm aware of their guesses, but was making the point that it's not the result of a "predictive model" in a statistical sense.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Hey guys, here's a list of people Donald Trump will be blasting on twitter in the coming weeks:

https://mgtvwcmh.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/new-day-for-america.pdf

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

The RNC is exactly the sort of spiteful pricks who'd rules lawyer their way to ensuring that even if The Donald got all the delegates they still wouldn't give him the nomination.

You know, other than constantly confirming how terrible a good portion of my countrymen's opinions are, this Trump thing has been great.

I think he's done a lot of damage to the GOP whether he gets the nomination or not, but I think my favorite scenario to imagine is that he remains popular and the RNC pulls the nomination out from under him, enraging/splitting the voting base of the party.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Monkey Fracas posted:

You know, other than constantly confirming how terrible a good portion of my countrymen's opinions are, this Trump thing has been great.
Wtf? No. He's pushed the discussion window within the party firmly to "let's deport and/or database all immigrants/Muslims/refugees".

Do you know what would have been great? Pushing the party left, to maybe allow some constructive work in the future.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Would the Republicans do that, though? I have a hard time believing they would. Are there even any rules that would ALLOW them to just seize whole state delegations to deny Trump the 1100 or so delegates he'd need on the first ballot?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Montasque posted:

I think it's fair to say that if Donald Trump is the Republican nominee, the party will have self-destructed for all intents and purposes.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

Would the Republicans do that, though? I have a hard time believing they would. Are there even any rules that would ALLOW them to just seize whole state delegations to deny Trump the 1100 or so delegates he'd need on the first ballot?

No, but they would have a very good shot of blocking him on the second ballot if he had, say, 45% of delegates. Some states do have candidates select their delegates, but others the delegates are party-selected and just bound to a candidate on the first ballot.

Trump might well find his support evaporating on the second ballot in a brokered scenario.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Moktaro posted:

I have an example of this, that stupid pickup truck ad that tries to equate HARD WORK with Hunger Games. Been seeing it several times a night. :argh:

:byodood: WE SALUTE THE HEROES OF THE HUNGER GAMES :byodood:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I have to admit, if you had told me a month ago that "Muslim Database" would appear in headlines...I would have guessed it came from leaks about an existing NSA program and not a proposal from a presidential candidate.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Patter Song posted:

No, but they would have a very good shot of blocking him on the second ballot if he had, say, 45% of delegates. Some states do have candidates select their delegates, but others the delegates are party-selected and just bound to a candidate on the first ballot.

Clownstick might well find his support evaporating on the second ballot in a brokered scenario.

So all they'd have to do is deny him an outright majority. If they keep his numbers down in larger states (Florida, Texas, California, New York, Pennsylvania, etc), then they might be able to convince smaller states to flip on a second ballot.

Question is--flip to who? Will Jeb! still be alive by that time? Will White Knight Mitt come riding in on a pale white horse? Will The Combover Kid's campaign survive?

Meanwhile this convention gets better ratings than the convention episode of "The West Wing" because everyone wants to watch the Republicans eat their young.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Bryter posted:

I think it's fair to say that if Donald Trump is the Republican nominee, the party will have self-destructed for all intents and purposes.

I think the series of events needed to secure a Trump nomination(economic crisis, terrorist attacks) are the same set of events that would make him strong in the national election.

Donald Trump is an antifragile black swan candidate, the Talebian nightmare is here.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

meristem posted:

Do you know what would have been great? Pushing the party left, to maybe allow some constructive work in the future.

Who in the GOP is going to do this

Who

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Montasque posted:

I think the series of events needed to secure a Trump nomination(economic crisis, terrorist attacks) are the same set of events that would make him strong in the national election.

Donald Trump is an antifragile black swan candidate, the Talebian nightmare is here.

I agree that, if Trump were to be the nominee, we have no idea what the general election would look like.

And we'll never know.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

Who in the GOP is going to do this

Who

whoever the netroots Democrats latch onto as "the good one" after they realize John Kasich is a shithead

maybe we can trot out Jon Huntsman again

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

I have to admit, if you had told me a month ago that "Muslim Database" would appear in headlines...I would have guessed it came from leaks about an existing NSA program and not a proposal from a presidential candidate.

Well if he is president, then I'm sure it'll show up in loads of NSA documents

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

I agree that, if Clownstick were to be the nominee, we have no idea what the general election would look like.

And we'll never know.

You seem very, very certain it will never happen. I don't know why--conventional wisdom has gone completely out the window this cycle. With a weak field surrounding him, a (Republican) nation turning their lonely eyes to Trump doesn't sound so far-fetched to me anymore.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

whoever the netroots Democrats latch onto as "the good one" after they realize John Kasich is a shithead

maybe we can trot out Jon Huntsman again

You'd need some sort of evangelical liberal with terrible social policies but good economic and government policy for any kind of push like that. And even then they probably wouldn't pass the ideological minimum needed to be viable at the national scale.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

So all they'd have to do is deny him an outright majority. If they keep his numbers down in larger states (Florida, Texas, California, New York, Pennsylvania, etc), then they might be able to convince smaller states to flip on a second ballot.

Question is--flip to who? Will Jeb! still be alive by that time? Will White Knight Mitt come riding in on a pale white horse? Will The Combover Kid's campaign survive?

Meanwhile this convention gets better ratings than the convention episode of "The West Wing" because everyone wants to watch the Republicans eat their young.

A real, honest-to-god brokered convention is something that would get unbelievable ratings. It is unlikely but not inconceivable. It'd also throw all the plans for the convention out the window. No time to put the 93 year old Bob Dole on stage for one last round of applause, we need to do ballot 7! What do you mean "We only reserved the convention center until Thursday?" Where the hell will be do ballot 12?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Joementum posted:

I agree that, if Trump were to be the nominee, we have no idea what the general election would look like.

And we'll never know.

Bill and Trump would be clowning on Hillary and hitting on HB10s.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Peachstapler posted:

Justin Bieber has endorsed Donald Trump and instructed his American "Beliebers" to vote for him.

So much for Canadians sticking with their own, eh? No doot aboot it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The GOP created a monster they can no longer control with Tea Party-type candidates pandering to the fringiest fringe of the conservative base and Trump is them finally reaping the whirlwind in the most glorious manner possible

All Hail Trump

TRUMP

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Alter Ego posted:

You seem very, very certain it will never happen. I don't know why--conventional wisdom has gone completely out the window this cycle. With a weak field surrounding him, a (Republican) nation turning their lonely eyes to Trump doesn't sound so far-fetched to me anymore.

While it can feel inevitable I am pretty incredulous he'll actually walk away with it. He's seen as toxic to the brand and the RNC is in damage control mode. People are quoted saying "Trump nom will lose us the Senate." Its an unprecedented disaster to them and they'll do anything to stop it. Maybe they are that poo poo at stumping the Trump, but I can see this talk of getting screwed on a brokered convention happening. Do they think that's worse optics than him getting the nom?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Speaking of Donald Trump...

Another hate rally is about to begin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEgfdz5YDxY

It's in Iowa so I hope he calls them all retards again.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alter Ego posted:

conventional wisdom has gone completely out the window this cycle.

I've yet to see compelling evidence that this is true.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The GOP has to reduce the field to 5 or less by any means possible so they can begin blitzing Trump with negative ads. I don't know if it will work, but that's the only play in their playbook pre-convention and they need the equivalent of Romney in 2012 carpet bombing states with ads against his opponent.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A lot of Republicans on my social media are seeing what Trump as saying for Muslim registry as tyranny, and taking a wide berth now. Maybe those armband memes did something but its weird. No idea who they're looking at now.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's also a bunch of Republican money that's really actually scared of a Trump presidency: it'd be very interesting to see what their response would be were he actually nominated.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

First its Muslims then it's white people with guns MOLON LABE

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Alter Ego posted:

Conventional wisdom will have gone out the window if and only if super Tuesday comes around and trump or Carson is decisively in the lead.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

The GOP created a monster they can no longer control with Tea Party-type candidates pandering to the fringiest fringe of the conservative base and Trump is them finally reaping the whirlwind in the most glorious manner possible

All Hail Trump

TRUMP

Back in 2010 a wealthy friend of mine who was a staunch business Republican laughed in my face when I told him the tea-party was a golem that would rip the Republican party apart.

He's now a democrat.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Montasque posted:

Back in 2010 a wealthy friend of mine who was a staunch business Republican laughed in my face when I told him the tea-party was a golem that would rip the Republican party apart.

He's now a democrat.

I like this story, thank you.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

There's also a bunch of Republican money that's really actually scared of a Trump presidency: it'd be very interesting to see what their response would be were he actually nominated.
Pretty much all "money" is terrified of a Trump presidency. The global stock market would go bonkers. Nobody would have a frigging clue what to expect on the global stage with a dude like him having the launch codes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "If we don't have a database on every foreigner who comes into this country, we're being negligent." ~ Ben Carson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
CNN debate criteria announced.

quote:

Candidates must meet one of three criteria in polls conducted between October 29 and December 13 and recognized by CNN: An average of at least 3.5% nationally; at least 4% in Iowa; or at least 4% in New Hampshire.

The debate is Tuesday, December 15 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Right now, nine candidates would make cut for the Republican National Committee sanctioned debate at The Venetian in Las Vegas: Donald Trump, Ben Carson, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Ohio Gov. John Kasich, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, Carly Fiorina and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

• Locked thread