Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they definitely are. I am curious what this project will be.

Yeah, I'm even normally on the lookout for "Female driven team" type projects as being gimmicky flash in the pan poo poo, but those two have established themselves as better than 99% of the industry and any company that gets either has made a good get, plain and simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

effectual posted:

The 3d rerelease was only like 2 years ago. How had you not heard by then how bad the prequels are?

I actually watched the Red Letter Media of it before I went, so I should have known better. But I still swear revenge on Lucas

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I watched the 3D release of Episode 1, thinking it couldn't have been that bad. I was mistaken. I have a perverse fondness of Episode 1 because it was the only movie my father ever took me to.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

sleepy.eyes posted:

I have a perverse fondness of Episode 1 because it was the only movie my father ever took me to.

that's abuse

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is your father Rae Carruth?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sleepy.eyes posted:

I watched the 3D release of Episode 1, thinking it couldn't have been that bad. I was mistaken. I have a perverse fondness of Episode 1 because it was the only movie my father ever took me to.
Did he mistake the movie theatre for an orphanage when he dropped you off?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-PdhARgL0c

I'm not gonna lie, I'm kinda interested in what George Lucas' Episode VII would be like.

It would probably be bad, but I'd love to see his treatment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

the space battle in rots looks worse than any of the ones in the OT.

That's because the Battle of Endor is one of the greatest feats of model work and practical effects ever put to film. The scene that always sticks out to me for being goddamn amazing is when the Falcon and crew are skimming along the surface of the death star weaving between construction cranes before diving inside followed by kamikaze tie fighter pilots.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I'm kinda interested in what George Lucas' Episode VII would be like.

The Adventures of Luke Starkiller, from the Journal of the Whills, Book 7: The Force Awakens.

Also Lucas accusing people of not understanding the major themes of the stories and only wanting space battles. :allears: Lucas is a better producer than writer (though American Graffti and THX-1138 are great, and I think its a bit of a shame Star Wars overshadows them).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Also Lucas accusing people of not understanding the major themes of the stories and only wanting space battles. :allears:

he quite obviously does not and if you have seven hours i have a set of moving pictures which prove this.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

George Lucas, making bad movies, giving good relationship advice. I now want to see him direct a Romantic Comedy.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know, what does it matter? We can't make a movie as good as the Titanic.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Nym is one of the things from the EU I like. His bulge in the Essential Guide to Characters, however, makes me cringe.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

He's from the Starfighter games, right? His species deal is the older they get, the stronger they get?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Otisburg posted:

He's from the Starfighter games, right? His species deal is the older they get, the stronger they get?

Ah yes, the G'amers.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

cmykjester posted:

I don't know, what does it matter? We can't make a movie as good as the Titanic.

You can tell everyone gave up on the prequels.

Just everything that is wrong with the prequels is this image. From the lighting that doesn't match across any of the different elements, to the shadows pasted over the guys walking, to the three guys mst3k'd onto the bottom of the screen.

And people defend this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

William Bear posted:

Nym is one of the things from the EU I like. His bulge in the Essential Guide to Characters, however, makes me cringe.

does he have robot arms? or just hosed up looking implants.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

randombattle posted:

Just everything that is wrong with the prequels is this image. From the lighting that doesn't match across any of the different elements, to the shadows pasted over the guys walking, to the three guys mst3k'd onto the bottom of the screen.

And people defend this.

that's the best part of when cd defends the prequels. even though they're wrong about the plot/characters/etc not being utter poo poo, even if you accepted them as being right everything filmic about the prequels is just poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

randombattle posted:

And people defend this.

I never noticed the dudes in the corner before. How the gently caress does that happen? :psyduck:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I always thought that part of the problem with the movies is that Lucas is making them as a test run for new improvements in CG first and anything else second. So he just went "hmm let's film everything on greenscreen because we can technically do that now," without any consideration of whether that would be good at all.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's the best part of when cd defends the prequels. even though they're wrong about the plot/characters/etc not being utter poo poo, even if you accepted them as being right everything filmic about the prequels is just poo poo.

I don't think many people claim it's a well-made film, even the SMG types say it looks bad on purpose.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I always thought that part of the problem with the movies is that Lucas is making them as a test run for new improvements in CG first and anything else second. So he just went "hmm let's film everything on greenscreen because we can technically do that now," without any consideration of whether that would be good at all.

star wars 4-6: the movie has complicated things in it that we need to invent new special effects for

star wars 1-3: we have complicated new special effects so we need to invent a movie to put them into

it is a f35 analogy

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

blowfish posted:

star wars 4-6: the movie has complicated things in it that we need to invent new special effects for

star wars 1-3: we have complicated new special effects so we need to invent a movie to put them into

it is a f35 analogy

If it was an f35 analogy, one of the movies would be good, one would be bad and the other would retroactively ruin the previous two

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

iirc at the time of its release, the Phantom Menace was one of the first movies to be filmed completely digitally, which made editing way easier. Traditional film was a lot more expensive and this lent itself to an easier experience for Lucasfilm's sfx people.

So I guess I'll just agree and say yes, laziness.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

phasmid posted:

iirc at the time of its release, the Phantom Menace was one of the first movies to be filmed completely digitally, which made editing way easier. Traditional film was a lot more expensive and this lent itself to an easier experience for Lucasfilm's sfx people.

My understanding was that Lucas kept changing things in the middle of production. Like the Jedi temple has spikes here now and the Senate building looks like this now. So the effects people had to constantly change previous shots to account for this new stuff.

I have to imagine they started phoning poo poo in because they assumed this wasn't going to be the last change anyway.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never noticed the dudes in the corner before. How the gently caress does that happen? :psyduck:

It's because they're photoshopped in to confuse you lol

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think that's from a quiz game Lucasfilm did where the object is "find what doesn't belong" and those dudes are the answer, so congratulations, you found it.

Corek fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 22, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

quote:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit 2: On The Move > The Star Wars EU train that makes you cringe the most

Corek posted:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Corek posted:

No I took that from the bluray copy myself. That shot is from several seconds after where the guys on the left are mysteriously absent.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 22, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Corek posted:

I think that's from a quiz game Lucasfilm did where the object is "find what doesn't belong" and those dudes are the answer, so congratulations, you found it.

Two things don't belong in this picture.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

26 minutes and 37 seconds into the film.

You can even see how the scene was so bad it kills the 2 jedi walking away as they turn into ghosts.

I mean there's even far worse scenes with cgi than that.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 22, 2015

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you know whats worse. its from this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_I_Adventures_10:_Festival_of_Warriors. a book for maybe 5 year olds. some fat loving nerd thought that this book needed to be cataloged and its parts and story put into canon. also there is a series of these books and they are all cataloged.

"The Festival of Warriors is the most challenging athletic competition in Otoh Gunga. Hundreds of Gungans, including Boss Nass and Jar Jar Binks, participate in its main event, the Big Nasty Free-For-All. This year's Free-For-All is the nastiest yet, because of the unexpected arrivals of some very unfriendly droids.

Who will win the race…and save the Gungans? "

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

randombattle posted:

26 minutes and 37 seconds into the film.

You can even see how the scene was so bad it kills the 2 jedi walking away as they turn into ghosts.

I mean there's even far worse scenes with cgi than that.

Wow I apologize. I've actually stared at the other image for so long I never remembered that.

The "we added something weird" game I described was a real product though. Some trivia DVD game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

My understanding was that Lucas kept changing things in the middle of production. Like the Jedi temple has spikes here now and the Senate building looks like this now. So the effects people had to constantly change previous shots to account for this new stuff.

I have to imagine they started phoning poo poo in because they assumed this wasn't going to be the last change anyway.

there;s some video where you can see him looking at concept art stuff and he complains about how he has to write a script now. the poo poo was all done backwards.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Instead of being mad at me, be mad at this:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The shadows are all fairly accurate for a big light source positioned above and directly behind the second-closest pillar. There are just two optical illusions that make the shadows look stranger than they actually are:

Yoda's shadow merges with Obiwan's, making it look like Obiwan has one disproportionately huge shadow. And the shadow of the closest pillar merges with the shadow of the railing, making the angle look wonky.

There are also, however, two 'cheats' that do make the lighting seem fake.

First, the characters are lit from the front and sides with extra-diegetic fill lights - so that the details of their faces, clothes, and so-on, will be visible. This is pretty standard on any film, but it's uncanny here because these light sources have been CGI'd out (instead of merely hidden offscreen).

Second, although you would assume that the big light source is a skylight, that yellow glow is not the sun. It's just an inexplicable glow, like they have a bank of floodlights hidden there. That latter point is a deliberate choice that makes the 'enlightenment' of the jedi read as false. Their temple is lit up with fake sunshine.

It's not poorly put together. The composition's alright. The only 'fake' part is the artificial sunlight.

Here's how the same setting looks when the fake sunlight is replaced with naturalistic sunlight:

This second shot is from Revenge of the Sith, after Anakin's massacre. The difference is clearly deliberate.

In natural sunlight, all shadows will point in the same direction. (The sun is a single, huge, light source.)

They had the technology to make all the shadows point in the same direction in 2002.

The Attack of the Clones screencap is actually, technically, far more complex - using multiple light-sources, positioned in different places around the virtual building, instead of just one big one.

For the shadows on the AOTC shot to make sense, the sun would have to be inside the building.

This has nothing to do with technological limitations, and everything to do with aesthetic choices, like where the lights are positioned. The person lighting the scene did not forget that the sun is supposed to be outdoors.

Consistency is always consistency with something. So, y'know, I'd ask if the style was consistent between shots, consistent from scene to scene, and/or consistent with the aesthetic of the film as a general whole.

I'd say so; the entire film has this hyperreal quality. There isn't any huge difference between that shot and how the cloning facility looks - or how Coruscant looks at night, in the opening scene. There's lots of glowy, colorful lighting.

There's also the basic internal consistency: are the shadows and whatnot consistent with (in this case) a single major light source?

Again, they are. As noted before, the only major inconsistency comes from the fill lights used to make the characters more visible (since they would be almost entirely backlit without them).

You can tell from the shadows that most of the light is coming from a single, powerful, directed light. It's positioned around where that red dot is.

There are smaller lights all over the scene, but none are casting that harsh of a shadow. The background on the right is the only part lit with 'natural' sunlight, which is much more diffuse and coming from the direction of the green arrows. (Note that the red arrow and green arrows are pointing in totally different directions.)

The cinematography is quite alright: the huge pillar divides the shot in half, and everything on the right hand side of the screen points straight at Sam Jackson. He's right at the point where the pillar, the railing, and the natural sunlight converge. Your eye goes straight to him.

Intentionality doesn't have anything to do with it, although it would be extremely difficult to make the shot look like this by accident.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

phasmid posted:

no

phantom menace was the only prequel that they used traditional 35mm film

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Corek posted:

Instead of being mad at me, be mad at this:

the funny thing is smg did some really awesome and correct posts about bad shot composition in the avengers and then goes on to defend even worse shot composition right there.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Groovelord Neato posted:

the funny thing is smg did some really awesome and correct posts about bad shot composition in the avengers and then goes on to defend even worse shot composition right there.

smg just takes the most controversial view possible when it comes to movies

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Last Chance posted:

no

phantom menace was the only prequel that they used traditional 35mm film

My mistake. At the time, it was a big deal that photography could be done on the cheap using digital cameras, but reading the wiki it appears they only did that for limited test-shots.

It also looks like VII will be filmed with 35mm too. I don't know about photography, but I had always assumed that there were no demerits to using digital film instead of traditional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

phasmid posted:

My mistake. At the time, it was a big deal that photography could be done on the cheap using digital cameras, but reading the wiki it appears they only did that for limited test-shots.

It also looks like VII will be filmed with 35mm too. I don't know about photography, but I had always assumed that there were no demerits to using digital film instead of traditional?

It's probably more of a cultural thing with the project. Seems similar to they way they went back to a lot of practical effects and real sets. I would think that kind of atmosphere conducive to good filmmaking rather that whatever the gently caress Lucas was doing.

• Locked thread