Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

KoRMaK posted:

Interview interview interview Interview, interview interview Interview.

I get it, it's not 95% full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Volmarias posted:

The way I best heard this phrased was "we do drug testing here, we like to test a lot of drugs."

There's an apocryphal story about Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun (:rip:), back in the 80s when the newly minted head of HR came to him and asked him about a drug policy for Sun. He pondered for a while and responded with "I don't think we can make it mandatory to smoke weed on the job"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

luminalflux posted:

There's an apocryphal story about Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun (:rip:), back in the 80s when the newly minted head of HR came to him and asked him about a drug policy for Sun. He pondered for a while and responded with "I don't think we can make it mandatory to smoke weed on the job"

One of my old co-workers was a Sun guy in his 60s. I think he may have been part of the mandatory weed test program.

drat good at his job tho.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Meth, I knew it. loving south.

It's pretty much everywhere though. The whole west coast is positively lousy with the stuff.

h34rts
Aug 3, 2012

I drink coffee because
I need it and I drink gin
because I deserve it.
Lipstick Apathy

stubblyhead posted:

It's pretty much everywhere though. The whole west coast is positively lousy with the stuff.

In the words of someone I once knew "It helped me get off crack!"

:smith:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The email signature push was stopped yesterday after 114 people called to bitch in a place of 2000+ employees. I am not surprised at all.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I'm on my last week of paternity leave and decide to have a little nose at work E-mails, apparently in the wake of the recent Paris terror attacks people want to review the business contingency plan since we're in one of the most prominent buildings in the city.

Now jokes on them as the plan pretty much boils down to; buy everything again and reload offsite core backups. I'm supposed to be back in on Monday but the hospital got back to me and scheduled my gallbladder removal so they'll have to go without me for a bit longer, but I know setting up some proper plans will be slam dunked into the trash when they see there's a cost attached.

Now we're not exactly talking Nakatomi plaza, but evacuating this place sucks rear end and I'd rather we invest in jetpacks instead.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Need some advice.

Currently using haredesk, which is a lovely sharepoint based helpdesk solution that runs poorly and makes me want to drink more than normal.

I'm looking for new helpdesk software, and preferrably some kind of self-service password management setup for AD.

Anyone have any suggestions?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

stubblyhead posted:

East coast loves them some heroine let me tell you. Bad batch recently killed a bunch of people about 6-9 months ago. People are still being killed by that stuff turning up from that batch.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

pixaal posted:

East coast loves them some heroine let me tell you. Bad batch recently killed a bunch of people about 6-9 months ago.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

pixaal posted:

East coast loves them some heroine let me tell you. Bad batch recently killed a bunch of people about 6-9 months ago. People are still being killed by that stuff turning up from that batch.

Christ do they. I'm in Pittsburgh, we had a RICO bust a couple years ago of a huge ring. I hear it hasn't slowed anything even a hair.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

I'd snort it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GoatShaver posted:

Need some advice.

Currently using haredesk, which is a lovely sharepoint based helpdesk solution that runs poorly and makes me want to drink more than normal.

I'm looking for new helpdesk software, and preferrably some kind of self-service password management setup for AD.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Zendesk and if you're a Microsoft/AD shop using Azure you can setup a self service reset:
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/d...re-ad-passwords

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

More on-topic:

Man I never noticed how dopey Superman looks in that scene before.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

h34rts posted:

In the words of someone I once knew "It helped me get off crack!"

:smith:

Replacing one addiction for another is bad no matter how you slice it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Knormal posted:

More on-topic:

Man I never noticed how dopey Superman looks in that scene before.

It looks like he's holding his head on.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

quote:

Tried force studier severed minutes agile and it won't event do that.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't know whether to chock this up to autocorrect, or if they're having a stroke.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't know whether to chock this up to autocorrect, or if they're having a stroke.

:psyduck:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

User Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like? - Ticket Closed

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Tried force shut down several minutes ago but it won't even do that.

Mumbled next to a noisy industrial machine using a lovely first gen speech to text converter.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Client receives a bid from a competitor for $4,000.
We come in, apples-to-apples, at $3,200.

She wants additional services, equipment, and the like.
Our total is now $4,200.

She's mad at us for "not saving her any money over those other people."

I hate customers.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

Client receives a bid from a competitor for $4,000.
We come in, apples-to-apples, at $3,200.

She wants additional services, equipment, and the like.
Our total is now $4,200.

She's mad at us for "not saving her any money over those other people."

I hate customers.

Wanna bet she only asked for those additional things because the initial price was lower?

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

ilkhan posted:

A ticket came in.
Subject: [girl's first name, not the submitter]
Contents: [blank]
Attachments:
[picture of assurion loss form for an iphone that was dropped off a dresser at home and broke]
[image of a driver's license]

important note: We don't provide phones to employees.

Like, WTF?

It still baffles me how anyone who works anywhere near IT is dumb enough to buy an Asurion policy. Haven't they heard of Moore's law? The deductible will probably cost more than the phone is worth new, but you won't even get that, you'll get a refurbished version of a phone even older than yours.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I... I heard the words today at my new job.

I actully heard someone earnestly say "so they can do the needful" :ohdear:.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Xequecal posted:

It still baffles me how anyone who works anywhere near IT is dumb enough to buy an Asurion policy. Haven't they heard of Moore's law? The deductible will probably cost more than the phone is worth new, but you won't even get that, you'll get a refurbished version of a phone even older than yours.
The idiot with the policy wasn't in IT.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I... I heard the words today at my new job.

I actully heard someone earnestly say "so they can do the needful" :ohdear:.

Congrats! You've officially joined an elite club of self-loathing and alcoholism.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Xequecal posted:

It depends. If you're enough of a klutz to believe that it's likely that you'll break the phone over the next year (*cough harsh experience cough*), it might make financial sense to just get it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Alright I give up. Tried to get ntopng working but found out that I'd need to buy licenses for nProbe to get everything we needed out of it. Does anyone have any reccomendations for bandwidth monitoring software? At this point I guess we could shell out some money for software. Really we dont want to do any traffic shaping or that, just a basic view of whats going in/out, to where, and from who.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gonna just drop this here, cause I think some of you guys might appreciate it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Should've used velcro. You know how big of a pain in the rear end that will be when the CEO wants to remodel the first floor so he can drive his Lambo right up to his office?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Tie up that loose power cable. Also what BaseballPCHiker said.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Should've used velcro. You know how big of a pain in the rear end that will be when the CEO wants to remodel the first floor so he can drive his Lambo right up to his office?

While I don't disagree with velcro, I still prefer zip-ties on BNC cables.

Looks like there's enough slack there to at least unplug the connectors for testing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Alright I give up. Tried to get ntopng working but found out that I'd need to buy licenses for nProbe to get everything we needed out of it. Does anyone have any reccomendations for bandwidth monitoring software? At this point I guess we could shell out some money for software. Really we dont want to do any traffic shaping or that, just a basic view of whats going in/out, to where, and from who.

Just do netflow with nfsen, like everybody else?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This is the mess I inherited. Even for a small rack they managed to maximize the tangle. They reused cables left behind by the old tenant so they're all crunchy, not to mention twisted in the most absurd ways, to the point of failure. I labeled everything in preparation for pulling it all out and replacing it with something more sensible, just waiting for the new cables to arrive. After I clean up the patch panel I'll move on to the terrible server and switch cabling.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
What the gently caress dude

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

bnc trigger warning next time, geez.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

crunk dork posted:

What the gently caress dude

Crunchy twisted white: phones. Except when they aren't.
Crunchy twisted blue: workstations. Except when they aren't.

Five foot long cable for a six inch run bundled and torqued into a tiny knot and then stuffed between switches. YES!

I don't have the patience to make it pretty but at least when I'm done there will be color coding and velcro bundling and no stupid stuffing and bending and the rest of the pantheon of lovely cabling work.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Is today larches' last day in the office?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Just do netflow with nfsen, like everybody else?

Looking for pretty graphs and pdf reports for stuff like this user went to this site and used x bandwidth. I dont know something like the old Sonicwall reports you used to be able to get. I've been looking for a free open source solution but if I mention the magic word security in my pitch I could probably get an actual budget for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

The Macaroni posted:

Is today larches' last day in the office?

Pretty sure it is. I imagine the real fireworks will be on Monday when the CE realizes he wasn't bluffing.

• Locked thread