Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Niton posted:

Has Rogue Deck Building Gone Too Far??

(click for context)

Everyone better be voting for Tibalt in Modern for his next deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Gotta get that sweet, sweet $0.50 spike for the 200 copies of Tibbles I've been hoarding. HES GONNA BE GOOD ONE DAY I SWEAR

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I tweeted Saffron saying if he makes a Tibbers deck it better have Hidetsugu's Second Rite in it

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

black potus posted:

a member of the master race???

:v: Long live black potus.

Foreskin Problems posted:

SaffronOlive is what TWoo aspired to, but never achieved.

Fact.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That's the same guy that made 34 rhinos.dec, right?

Makes sense he'd make a helix pinnacle/knowledge pool lock deck, he's insane.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I really like his decks, though I wished he stopped making janky combo decks that need a million clicks on MODO cause they are boring to watch. It's good that someone out there is trying new things, instead of having to watch infinite Twin vs Affinity matches for my magic fix. It is my hope that some of the Against The Odds deck ends up being competitive when picked by a pro and tweaked :ohdear:
He also has a very good video persona, some people are a drone to watch.

I do not like how deep into MtG finance he seems to be sometimes. Though he does have some Good Opinions on the subject (ie, poo poo's hosed).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Wasn't there a knowledge pool freezout deck in Standard when INN was legal? Could have sworn I played it using whatever the Rule of Law curse was.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
The boo-hooing on reddit and twitter about GP Pitt capping is fantastic. It is entirely WOTC's fault, this is the last gp of 2015. There is also a 6 week gap until the next GP, there is nothing coming until January 9th. Also it is modern, which helps drive attendance some. The TO rented space for about 175% of any prior GP attendance in this city. I have no idea what people expect TO's will just rent 5,000 or 10,000 capacity venues for every GP just in case? PES is not a great TO but they didn't make some colossal blunder. This is going to be the 9th largest GP, ever.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Niton posted:

Has Rogue Deck Building Gone Too Far??

(click for context)

This deck seems like it would be better without helix pinnacle and just won with lands.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Geeks are dumb and like to complain. Sorry to spoil the end chapters of Reddit.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

PJOmega posted:

Wasn't there a knowledge pool freezout deck in Standard when INN was legal? Could have sworn I played it using whatever the Rule of Law curse was.

This combo was in standard for a long time. Went from Curse of Exhaustion/Knowledge Pool to Possibility Storm/Eidolon of Rhetoric.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Stab posted:

This deck seems like it would be better without helix pinnacle and just won with lands.

Every way to win with Helix Pinnacle has a better alternative.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I'm going to be judging at Pitts. Who else is going and what are you running?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'm going, will be on Jund.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

If Marsh Hulk is there give him a high five from me, thanks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The sort of person who gets mad enough about a GP being full to :qqsay: about it on social media is probably exactly the sort of whale whose business Wizards, dealers, and TOs never, ever have to worry about losing. They could vote with their dollars but I bet they'll be right back at the next event, doing value trades and scarfing down overpriced nachos between rounds... if not at this one hitting the side events.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

The sort of person who gets mad enough about a GP being full to :qqsay: about it on social media is probably exactly the sort of whale whose business Wizards, dealers, and TOs never, ever have to worry about losing. They could vote with their dollars but I bet they'll be right back at the next event, doing value trades and scarfing down overpriced nachos between rounds... if not at this one hitting the side events.

The best part is multiple people on reddit stating "i booked a hotel but didn't pre-reg" A judge who I think might work for PES replied and asked why very politely. The person basically replied "cuz I was dumb" It was pretty funny.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Entropic posted:

The main problem with the RG landfall deck is just that the RW aggro deck is almost always better. You get all the same Valakut Predators and Sliderunners and red removal, but you also get access to white removal, and white has better aggro creatures than green, which basically just has Snapping Gnarlid and no other worthwhile aggro 2-drops. Plus you tend to get more random ally synergies going RW, with Castigators and the white Rally creatures.

I've said this before, in the limited thread I think, but hitting your fifth landdrop, trigger your predator(s) to 4/4, the casting Resolute Blademaster for the doublestrike to team (and trample if your turn four was the Rally Minotaur) is just far more disgusting than "Baloth, pass turn, your opponent smites it EOT"

RG can come together in FNM but I'd rather be in RW if I can. (Totally had the potential to draft a disgusting RW deck with a pack three gideon, and what would have been been a p3p2 Blademaster but I was trying to force RG at that point and see if I could pull it off. Never Again, Never Again)

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 20, 2015

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

jassi007 posted:

The best part is multiple people on reddit stating "i booked a hotel but didn't pre-reg" A judge who I think might work for PES replied and asked why very politely. The person basically replied "cuz I was dumb" It was pretty funny.

I remember this exact same sort of posting before GP Kyoto this past April. Why the hell would you book a trip and a hotel - especially to the literal other side of the world, in many people's cases - and not go ahead and register for the event, too? :psyduck:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A few of the high-level players on Facebook are disappointed they might not get to play. I hope the kids who were super excited about going to their first GP pre-registered.

PES just announced this:

quote:

Attention – Grand Prix Pittsburgh update
We have been carefully monitoring the cancellations as well as the potential transfer of registration spots and after consulting with WotC we have decided on the following:

- The re-sale of registration spots is something we do not want to encourage or allow. Therefore, we will not process any transfer of registrations. If you no longer wish to play, we will be happy to process a cancellation and put your spot back into the registration pool.

- What was that? Registration pool? More registration spots are going to open? Yes! We are returning the event cancellations to the pool of available registration spots. Here are the exact details of the registration slots:

- We will be adding all the cancellations as well as an estimated number of no-shows back into the registration pool. We anticipate this to be about 100 available registration spots. This number could go up based on cancellations.

- These spots will be available on-line ONLY starting at 6:00 PM EST. The link for registration is https://www.professional-events.com/Registration. If you are on-site, use your phone or tablet.

- If you are a Friday Last Chance Trial winner, and you have not yet registered for the Grand Prix, you will be able to register after your LCT.

To recap – Registration, on-line only, will re-open at 6:00 PM EST with a limited, approximately 100, registration spots available.

The comments are just about as salty as you'd expect.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Those last chance trials are going to be ~wonderful~

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

drat. Would've been real fun to see event registration be the hot new spec!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Who doesn't pre-reg for a GP if possible? The only time I didn't was when they didn't allow it and I had to do it in person the day before.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Just had a game where I played turn 4 Mana Reflection off basalt monolith, turn 5 I went infinite and cast Kozilek and Memnarch to steal all his stuff. Legendary Cube is great.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I wish xmage would add the drat legendary cube :(

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

black potus posted:

green would be significantly better if unnatural aggression gave a p/t boost. my first draft i assumed it did and didn't realize until i went to cast it and saw i was about to 2-for-1 myself.

Yeah as LSV said in his set redo, the fight card is meant to be one of green's best commons, but this one is really bad. Most of green's common creatures make Scions or have landfall, so they're smaller than usual, while every colour gets access to giant things; even red has random high-toughness guys like Vile Aggregate, while green has 4 commons that just make 1/1s. Plus landfall mostly negates the advantage of being able to fight at instant speed.

Also, the green landfall "enablers" are all worse than Evolving Wilds and Broodhunter Wurm is the only non-Ally vanilla creature in the set, and it's not even efficient.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

GoutPatrol posted:

Who doesn't pre-reg for a GP if possible? The only time I didn't was when they didn't allow it and I had to do it in person the day before.

I pretty much always book the GP, hotel and travel at the same time :psyduck:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty funny to see comments like this wrt PES running side events that are like the GP but are not the gp:

quote:

Why use the side event space for a side event modern at the same exact time but not incorporate that to the main event

Yeah man it's not like magic rounds get really long or a tournament gets an insane round count with a ton of players or anything.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
What time do the streams start?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Something occurs to me. Why didn't they reprint Vindicate in the BW commander deck? I mean, Vindicate is literally the perfect BW card, and one of the few perfect Magic cards in general. Did they fear including a $15 card would overbalance its value compared to the other decks?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zemyla posted:

Something occurs to me. Why didn't they reprint Vindicate in the BW commander deck? I mean, Vindicate is literally the perfect BW card, and one of the few perfect Magic cards in general. Did they fear including a $15 card would overbalance its value compared to the other decks?

It isn't an enchantment, and they won't really reprint money eternal cards if they don't fit the theme of the deck.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Are there even stone rain type effects in the commander decks?

It seems like they'd rather include an utter end rather than vindicate.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

What time do the streams start?

For the GP? Should be around 9:00am est tomorrow morning.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zemyla posted:

They are really, really concerned about making the deck values uneven, because it causes huge issues with wholesale sales.

Unfortunately their solution this time seems to have been to print zero interesting cards.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Bugsy posted:

For the GP? Should be around 9:00am est tomorrow morning.

Oh drat, I thought things started today.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Oh drat, I thought things started today.

Last chance events for byes happen on Friday, the main event is Sat/Sun.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

They are really, really concerned about making the deck values uneven, because it causes huge issues with wholesale sales.

Unfortunately their solution this time seems to have been to print zero interesting cards.

Which in a perfect and just world would result in an across the board sales drop, but lmaoEDH

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They don't seem to be flying off the shelves at my LGS, but I dunno.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Things WotC would do if they cared about the health of the game

-FIx MTGO's existing problems
-make a duals a platform that is actually good instead of just constantly making a new version
-reprint the original duels in a supplementary product like a Legacy Masters.
-do said Legacy masters thing with more monetary staples
-improve the printing of staples for the next Modern Masters
-continue to reprint shocks and fetches occasionally in standard

These things would actually lead to the moving of a *lot* of product for them. And would only piss off grouches that treat Underground Seas like a 401k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Sigma-X posted:

You'd think the easier solution would be having one guaranteed money reprint per expansion to help equalize any price disparity that would come from an unbalance in the original cards, but what do I know.

• Locked thread