Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

1) that isn't strange at all since his focus is on international macroeconomics, not domestic distribution
2) that he assigns a different priority in tax and redistribution policy doesn't mean his evaluations on financial regulation policy (a completely different sphere) are wrong

Hell, we used Krugman's textbook in my International Econ course in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Joementum posted:

I can't see it happening. I think his legacy will be a lot like Coolidge's: dragged up positively by ideologues (neocons in Bush's case, libertarians in Coolidge's) in Slate-pitchy revisionist histories, but widely regarded as a failure. His failures in Iraq and the economy can't be painted over like Reagan's were and, unlike Reagan's revolution, W. led a reformation effort in the party, so he'll always be regarded skeptically by the base.

I mean, I guess it's possible that Jeb! Bush wins in 2016, invades Iraq again and turns it into an oasis of prosperity. That's about the only way I can see W.'s legacy being rehabbed and I think the chance of that happening is... very low.

I imagine a large part of the upswing in public opinion has to do with the 30-50 year old crowd from the bush years getting a little older and having to deal with the Obama years. "While Bush was president I had a good job and a car and things were great, except for 9/11. Under Obama I was worried about my job and my healthcare costs went up and then that ISIS thing happened."

Long term though the people who will write the history books for his term will be people in the 10-30 year old crowd from that time, which means a lot more "I watched my friends die and be maimed in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts to no resolution, he completely hosed the education system for my children and we had to spend a couple decades unfucking it, oh and he utterly tanked the economy just as I was graduating from high school/college, which meant I had to work at starbucks for six years before I could find a decent paying job under Obama. Oh and during Obama's time gas got back down to under $2 a gallon and gently caress me if I ever thought that would happen."

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Joementum posted:

This week's Congressional Hits and Misses features Frankenfish and John McCain popping off and causing mischief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns1DCpw_QFM

Haha, now this is a post a big idiot like me can understand!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Haha the phone one is the best.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Back when those Congressman made their letter to the Ayatollah telling him the USA cannot negotiate in good faith I wrote a brief letter to Senator Booker supporting the Nuclear Deal and recommending that the US should re-evaluate its relaionship with the Israeli nuclear program. A couple days ago I get a very long form response talking about technical details of the deal and why Cory is reluctantly supporting it. Then he starts talking about the Holocaust and how we must 'stand against evil'

Senator Booker posted:

To be clear: when Iranians chant death to America or pledge themselves to the destruction of Israel, I take them at their word. My Jewish friends and others I have talked with are correct: Iran is an existential threat to the State of Israel and to the Jewish people.

:rolleyes:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Bernie doesn't have hate in his heart like Hillary does. Bernie dislikes the Republicans and strongly disagrees with them. Hillary loving hates them and wants to burn them.

Hillary is my candidate :unsmigghh: Dehumanize yourself and face to etc.

ikanreed posted:

I'm still not exactly sure what the difference between cable news and ESPN is to be honest.

Cable news political coverage is at ESPN levels and is rapidly approaching televised professional wrestling or at least Don King promotional speeches for boxing events

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Cable news political coverage is at ESPN levels and is rapidly approaching televised professional wrestling or at least Don King promotional speeches for boxing events

Well we're pretty close

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wzz2n9xC8ps

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

greatn posted:

Bernie doesn't have hate in his heart like Hillary does. Bernie dislikes the Republicans and strongly disagrees with them. Hillary loving hates them and wants to burn them.

Which is why she has my vote. No policy is getting passed with congress and the courts as they are, so spite will serve

Edit: there are a few things that would get me to go "pox in both your houses" and the Syrian refugee thing is one of them but so far she hasn't joined with the bigots so I'm good

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 20, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Hillary doesn't pull the heart out of some bush league congressman's heart and eat it raw on inauguration day I'm going to consider that breaking a campaign promise. :colbert:

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 20, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

evilweasel posted:

well I didn't expect that out of an oklahoma republican
I probably disagree with this guy on just about every other thing but I'm still gonna be sad when the Tea Party primaries him. :(

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Maarek posted:

Joementum you are the closest thing to an oracle D&D has.
:colbert:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

It's true, Joe is more of the Calculator.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think it's important to note that there's a lack of polling data on whether spoons exist.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

JT Jag posted:

Many people seem to be of the understanding that it's really easy to get here as a refugee, perhaps easier than most other methods, and that's why it would be desirable for ISIS. While wrong, I think it might be best to deflect that talking point. America is stronger than any extremist ideology. The refugees will come and in time become normal Americans, as all immigrants have in the past.

The imaginary scenario of sneaky refugees easily coming in to the U.S. is something akin to plague bearers sneaking in under a pile of fruit in a tarp covered wagon at a border checkpoint in the medieval ages. This has nothing to do with 'facts' or 'reality', but it suits people just as well.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

I think it's important to note that there's a lack of polling data on whether spoons exist.

There's also a lack of polling data on whether individuals favor a national tax on lighted letters larger than 36 feet.

That don't mean Trump ain't already taken a stand against.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fried Chicken posted:

Which is why she has my vote. No policy is getting passed with congress and the courts as they are, so spite will serve

Edit: there are a few things that would get me to go "pox in both your houses" and the Syrian refugee thing is one of them but so far she hasn't joined with the bigots so I'm good

Go one step further and just pull the R lever. At least things will get done for once!

Or vote Hillary and watch her not follow through on campaign promises and pass one piece of legislation that will be deemed amazing by neoliberals that fixes some small social problem while placing more of a financial burden on the poor.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The imaginary scenario of sneaky refugees easily coming in to the U.S. is something akin to plague bearers sneaking in under a pile of fruit in a tarp covered wagon at a border checkpoint in the medieval ages. This has nothing to do with 'facts' or 'reality', but it suits people just as well.

Except....ISIL terrorists did go with illegal immigrants in order to infiltrate Europe?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Maarek posted:

Joementum you are the closest thing to an oracle D&D has. Do you think that George W. Bush is going to be remembered fondly by history once time has passed? I know they did a poll a few years ago and approval for his presidency was creeping up. Is he going to somehow grope his way into becoming an elder statesman to Serious People or is this just the crazies being crazy?

depends. I don't think they will magically clean up his legacy. at best they will say he wasnt a bad guy and he was led astray by shitheads in the private sector and in his cabinet. another thing is he will probaly be viewed as the beginning of the end of the GOP as a rational party.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

McDowell posted:

Back when those Congressman made their letter to the Ayatollah telling him the USA cannot negotiate in good faith I wrote a brief letter to Senator Booker supporting the Nuclear Deal and recommending that the US should re-evaluate its relaionship with the Israeli nuclear program. A couple days ago I get a very long form response talking about technical details of the deal and why Cory is reluctantly supporting it. Then he starts talking about the Holocaust and how we must 'stand against evil'

:rolleyes:

Your congressman never saw your letter. The response was almost certainly a template assembled weeks in advance, using the Congressman's public statements, and sent out by an unpaid intern, who made sure that there were no obvious copy issues.

EDIT: Googling that quote brings up an op-ed by Brooker from September. They probably sent you a copy of it.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 20, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

depends. I don't think they will magically clean up his legacy. at best they will say he wasnt a bad guy and he was led astray by shitheads in the private sector and in his cabinet. another thing is he will probaly be viewed as the beginning of the end of the GOP as a rational party.

That's what is remembered about Grant, but nobody thinks he was a good President. He's remembered as a pretty terrible President, but that he was a good general makes up for it somewhat. Everyone remembers General Grant and we politely skip over his presidency in history class.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

That's what is remembered about Grant, but nobody thinks he was a good President. He's remembered as a pretty terrible President, but that he was a good general makes up for it somewhat. Everyone remembers General Grant and we politely skip over his presidency in history class.

Only, Grant by all accounts was a decent president that was plagued with having horrible people in his cabinet that kept getting into scandals. Most of the historical bashing of his presidency was done in the 20s by the klan/south and it's stuck ever since then.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

evilweasel posted:

Leading the nation to victory in the worst war it's ever been in does tend to buy one a lot of leeway afterward, even if his cabinet was staggering corrupt.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The refugee hysteria is not the result of legitimate concerns about terrorism. Pretty sure we weren't closing borders to whites and Christians after OKC. Just like we weren't putting all the white teens with Confederate Flag fetishes into a database after Charleston.

We have much more to fear from white Americans than from refugees from the Middle East.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

QuoProQuid posted:

Your congressman never saw your letter. The response was almost certainly a template assembled weeks in advance, using the Congressman's public statements, and sent out by an unpaid intern, who made sure that there were no obvious copy issues.

EDIT: Googling that quote brings up an op-ed by Brooker from September. They probably sent you a copy of it.

I didn't think it was personal - just expressing my annoyance with Booker and his boilerplate 'I <3 Israel' stance. But I never supported him and this just solidifies that.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

greatn posted:

This will be an explicit appeal made by the Hillary camp if Bernie gets any kind of surge going in the actual primaries.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Could we skip over the chat about unelectable people and go back to more talking about Donald Trump?

:v:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

amanasleep posted:

This will be an explicit appeal made by the Hillary camp if Bernie gets any kind of surge going in the actual primaries.

What's this "will be" poo poo?

In the first debate she flat out said that republicans are her enemy.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Also that Bernie's political future has anything but defeat ahead.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Israel has a right to defend itself against criminals

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

A Winner is Jew posted:

Only, Grant by all accounts was a decent president that was plagued with having horrible people in his cabinet that kept getting into scandals. Most of the historical bashing of his presidency was done in the 20s by the klan/south and it's stuck ever since then.

What I remember from history class is that Grant utterly failed to protect black citizens from Redeemers, and despite his Klan crackdown, similar groups terrorized blacks with impunity. Grant was more than willing to send Federal troops to bust up labor strikes, but he wouldn't send them to protect black voters.

There's plenty more. Grant was basically the George W. Bush of the 19th century, except that he wasn't a chickenhawk, and cars didn't exist so he couldn't get DWIs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'll be happy to vote for Hillary despite my distrust of Wall Street because I don't view the financial sector as the biggest threat to to the country right now

That title belongs to the GOP - or more specifically the fringe that I they lost control of - and she's the only candidate that I think would be able to put the screws to them

I would've loved Bernie in gentler times, but anybody who doesn't come out headhunting is going to get poo poo all done

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I would've loved Bernie in gentler times, but anybody who doesn't come out headhunting is going to get poo poo all done

Hillary will not get anything done either. We will get 8 years of gridlock and the right continuing the crazy train. The last two will be the "best" because of Clintroll.

Edit: or Hiltroll

Edit: Trollary

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

We get it, you think whatever GOP candidate will be better than whatever Dem candidate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

Hillary will not get anything done either. We will get 8 years of gridlock and the right continuing the crazy train. The last two will be the "best" because of Clintroll.

Edit: or Hiltroll

Edit: Trollary

Hillary, by being President and able to appoint Supreme Court justices, can roll back some of the incredibly damaging rulings they've made in the past decade as well as avoid the possibility of RBG or Breyer being replaced by a Republican.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Hillary 2016: She will go RodHAM on the GOP.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Hillary, by being President and able to appoint Supreme Court justices, can roll back some of the incredibly damaging rulings they've made in the past decade as well as avoid the possibility of RBG or Breyer being replaced by a Republican.

She can also and has said she would, continue to use executive actions where we can't get congress to get off it's rear end.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

This alone really should be enough to get people off their asses to vote but I imagine most voters barely know what the Supreme Court or the ramifications of its decisions even are.

And yes I hope Hillary lays the smackdown on the GOP from the very start. None of this "Oh hi I'm Obama and I trust you are arguing in good faith for 5 whole years GOP!" crap.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

What I remember from history class is that Grant utterly failed to protect black citizens from Redeemers, and despite his Klan crackdown, similar groups terrorized blacks with impunity. Grant was more than willing to send Federal troops to bust up labor strikes, but he wouldn't send them to protect black voters.

There's plenty more. Grant was basically the George W. Bush of the 19th century, except that he wasn't a chickenhawk, and cars didn't exist so he couldn't get DWIs.

Grant's Reconstruction legacy is a bit more complicated than, and you're handwaving just how much he did drop the hammer on the klan considering it didn't recover from his assault on it until the 1920s. Also you're wrong about him not sending federal troops to intervene on the behalf of the freemen: He did so in Virginia during the 1976 election when white southerners tried to block their ballot access, as he had shortly after taking office in 1869 when he sent the troops in once more to restore elected black legislators who'd been expelled from the Georgia state government. I mean yeah the dude was uneven and far less consistent in his defense of black citizens then he should have been, but W hardly.

He also didn't sit on his rear end and watch New Orleans wash out to sea, so there's that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Sure after the senate confirms them. If the dems do not take the Senate it won't matter. Recess appointments would be great but I see the future 5-4 (or 5-3 if the justice can not serve of a lawsuit is filed against the appointment) voiding those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Grant's Reconstruction legacy is a bit more complicated than, and you're handwaving just how much he did drop the hammer on the klan considering it didn't recover from his assault on it until the 1920s. Also you're wrong about him not sending federal troops to intervene on the behalf of the freemen: He did so in Virginia during the 1976 election when white southerners tried to block their ballot access, as he had shortly after taking office in 1869 when he sent the troops in once more to restore elected black legislators who'd been expelled from the Georgia state government.

also a major force behind getting the 15th amendment through

also important to remember that he was the first president to give even the slightest of a poo poo about native americans

• Locked thread