Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I'm not absolutely sure, but I was re-reading recently and I swear there was a line saying that it was believed no one could ever defeat Tatsumaki in a head-on battle. Which makes me wonder if Blast is supposed to be included in that.

I don't think most people bring Blast into their calculations, not even the Hero Association, cause he's like never there. Everyone else came during the Boros arc except Metal Knight, if I recall.

Does Blast even exist??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I wanna know what Blast did to earn the No. 1 position.

It's been established even among the S ranks that heroes can shift around, yet Tatsumaki didn't overtake him even after presumably saving the world from Boros.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I almost don't want Blast to ever get revealed.

Like the lower half of Wilson's face.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Obviously, 'Blast' is a title reserved for the Hero who defeated the great Crablante. The Hero Association just doesn't know who that is, so they have just kept the seat open hoping that they'll show up one day.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Blast is nothing more than a phantom, a lofty ideal for all heroes to try to attain, but none ever will. Blast is always one step ahead, no matter what, which motivates heroes to constantly get better and better to one day try and reach the top, even though they never will.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it is unfortunately confirmed that blast is not saitama. I think...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Astro Ambulance posted:

Obviously, 'Blast' is a title reserved for the Hero who defeated the great Crablante. The Hero Association just doesn't know who that is, so they have just kept the seat open hoping that they'll show up one day.

Crablante was really weak relatively though, I don't think they'd give the top spot just for that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

muike posted:

it is unfortunately confirmed that blast is not saitama. I think...

Yeah, the Hero Association already has an S-class hero who took the glory from Saitama's battles.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

El Burbo posted:

Crablante was really weak relatively though, I don't think they'd give the top spot just for that.

Just to play devil's advocate, saitama killing crabllante and saving chinner kid was the reason for the founding of the association

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Maybe Blast is dead or doesn't actually exist and the name is simply there as a figurehead, a symbol to let the world know that the Hero Association always has an ace in the hole, even if its made out of paper and crayons.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Astro Ambulance posted:

I've actually wondered this on occasion.

El Burbo posted:

Saving the bossman's kid is probably worth pulling a few strings.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

I've actually wondered this on occasion.
Saving the bossman's kid is probably worth pulling a few strings.

He's just a scare tactic of the Hero Association, there's no blast.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, the Hero Association already has an S-class hero who took the glory from Saitama's battles.

That was only a few of them though that he was near though?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Show us the birth certificate.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Its the fusion of Bang and Bomb

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Of the two theories I hear for Blast, it being Shicchi or it being a place holder for Crablante's killer as honour for being the impetus to found the HA are my favourites. The latter playing in with him being a scare tactic.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 20, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

What the?!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

This is my new favorite Saitama picture

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Idgi? Why is Saitama punching a Nokia

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tarezax posted:

Idgi? Why is Saitama punching a Nokia

Nokia phones have a reputation for being unbreakable, like Nintendo handhelds.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have a 3310 knocking around the house and I turned it on a year or so back for a while and it still had a fair chunk of battery left. Naturally, it's in pristine condition as well.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Money funnelling scheme by a cabal of Hero Association bureaucrats

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The hero counsil seems really inapt at recognizing the true worth of heroes. Like, how do they even have all these tests that measure peoples capabilities yet aren't even good enough to recognize just how limitless Saitama's strength is when S-class heroes are already so strong as Tazumaki?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sure it'd be very satisfying if Saitama were quickly recognised for what he truly is.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm not sure it'd be very satisfying if Saitama were quickly recognised for what he truly is.

I'm not saying he should have been, it's far more entertaining to watch idiots fumble with numbering and rankings and get it all wrong than someone actually competent getting involved in doing things the most effective way. Just saying Blast might be a correlation of poor decision-making. I'd like to add overestimation, but we already have King, who is perfect in every way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe Blast is the composite of Saitama's actions while he was training, before he lost his passion for Hero Hobbying through boredom. No one thinks it was King because the guy clearly had a full head of black hair. Back before everything ended in one punch, Saitama probably got involved in a wide array of heroing activities.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If I understood the bonus comic of the second volume correctly, that is also the real secret to his strength: He never stopped beating up monsters. And at some point lost a tooth or something.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Blast is someone that definitely exists and is not Saitama. I'm fairly sure it was mentioned at some point that the HA are able to get in contact with him if its absolutely necessary to do so. I think it was shortly after the prophecy while everyone in the managerial stuff of the HA was freaking out? Sort of makes me wonder what they would consider needs Blast though, if Boros didn't.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Dragonatrix posted:

Blast is someone that definitely exists and is not Saitama. I'm fairly sure it was mentioned at some point that the HA are able to get in contact with him if its absolutely necessary to do so. I think it was shortly after the prophecy while everyone in the managerial stuff of the HA was freaking out? Sort of makes me wonder what they would consider needs Blast though, if Boros didn't.

They didn't see Boros coming and he was finished in like 15 minutes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Blast is someone that definitely exists and is not Saitama. I'm fairly sure it was mentioned at some point that the HA are able to get in contact with him if its absolutely necessary to do so.

This totally fits with the "doesn't actually exist, is a scare tactic" theory though. The bar is so impossibly high for them to summon him/her that they'll never have to be summoned, which is great because they don't actually exist.

I personally think it's a real person, but nothing to date really proves or disproves their existence.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

My pet theory is that Blast died saving the world on his first and only mission, and the Hero Association just likes to perpetuate a myth that he's alive just to keep the other heroes in line.

It's not like he was the unknown Seventh Soldier of Victory or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

On the page where Blast is revealed, it's only a window of your webcam feed.

BLAST WAS YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kild posted:

Probably since only Genos and him survived the attack IIRC.

I dont remember if its been revealed in the Murata version yet but Stench says that hes been pursuing the Cyborg since before he met Genos.

Personally I think hes a little weird around Genos because he knows that Genos is way too obsessed about revenge. He doesnt want him to throw his life away seeking revenge.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I don't know what purpose a false #1 hero would serve considering a lot of the monsters that appear have little to no knowledge of the Hero Association, nor do they seem to care.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

KoB posted:

I dont remember if its been revealed in the Murata version yet but Stench says that hes been pursuing the Cyborg since before he met Genos.

Personally I think hes a little weird around Genos because he knows that Genos is way too obsessed about revenge. He doesnt want him to throw his life away seeking revenge.

In the One version, has Saitama met Stench yet? In his first or second appearance he asks Genos to bring him back with him, which seemed like another potential evil scientist type plan. It is a pretty surface-level suspicion I have, though, so he could be just a loyal and dedicated father figure type.

TriffTshngo posted:

I don't know what purpose a false #1 hero would serve considering a lot of the monsters that appear have little to no knowledge of the Hero Association, nor do they seem to care.

I think people were saying it's for the heroes. A good number of them seem to pay a lot of heed to the rankings, like Blizzard group and a lot of the C-list dunces. I don't think anything's conclusive though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I think people were saying it's for the heroes. A good number of them seem to pay a lot of heed to the rankings, like Blizzard group and a lot of the C-list dunces. I don't think anything's conclusive though.

Yeah that would make sense I suppose. Granted the S-Class guys don't seem to care about rankings, only mentioning it here and there, but I guess once you're in that group it doesn't really matter all that much what rank you are since there's only 17 of 'em.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

The hero counsil seems really inapt at recognizing the true worth of heroes. Like, how do they even have all these tests that measure peoples capabilities yet aren't even good enough to recognize just how limitless Saitama's strength is when S-class heroes are already so strong as Tazumaki?

The funny thing about Saitama'e exam is that they actually got his ranking kind of right. Physically, he's unstoppable, but he really doesn't start out the story with an especially heroic attitude. It's very easy to see how the noble, idealistic, and driven Genos managed to hit S-rank when he didn't, despite only being able to single-handedly demolish cities rather than planets. I mean, that's their whole dynamic early on - Genos is mentally ideal but physically fallible, and Saitama is physically ideal but mentally fallible.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The funny thing about Saitama'e exam is that they actually got his ranking kind of right. Physically, he's unstoppable, but he really doesn't start out the story with an especially heroic attitude. It's very easy to see how the noble, idealistic, and driven Genos managed to hit S-rank when he didn't, despite only being able to single-handedly demolish cities rather than planets. I mean, that's their whole dynamic early on - Genos is mentally ideal but physically fallible, and Saitama is physically ideal but mentally fallible.

They did get it wrong then. The entire point of the S Class is to house super strong people that are otherwise poor heroes, as far as the Association is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Genocyber posted:

They did get it wrong then. The entire point of the S Class is to house super strong people that are otherwise poor heroes, as far as the Association is concerned.

King is S Rank, and hasn't displayed any powers yet besides looking menacing.