Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
While looking for news about Apartment 3-G's end, I noticed that Stone Soup went Sundays-only. It's one of those blandly irritating family-comedy strips that people in this thread got tired of posting, but the article says it ran in over 250 publications.

That's the last daily strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ikanreed posted:

No, I'm paying attention to the fact that Dick comes from nowhere to accuse these totally innocent Scott Adams stand ins of being racist for their totally innocent statements.

The guy is a flagrantly awful rear end in a top hat, and I suspect he's going after a straw man of very real accusations he's been faced with before. Particularly about being a gigantically sexist prick.

Yeah I don't know how Dick from the Internet being a ridiculous strawman makes anything better.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Sphinxster posted:

Yeah I don't know how Dick from the Internet being a ridiculous strawman makes anything better.
Still doesn't lend any support to ikanreed's original claim that "Scott Adams would be the kind to pretend all accusations of racism are totally unsubstantiated," which seems like a straw-man in and of itself.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (November 18, 1950)

Barnaby (April 25, 1942)

Nancy (January 3, 1943)

Krazy Kat (March 10, 1929)

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Kid Fenris posted:

While looking for news about Apartment 3-G's end, I noticed that Stone Soup went Sundays-only. It's one of those blandly irritating family-comedy strips that people in this thread got tired of posting, but the article says it ran in over 250 publications.

That's the last daily strip.

Kit 'n' Carlyle also ended this month after 35 years. It didn't have much fanfare for its final strip.

Gil 05/25/14

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Good heavens! That burglar stole everything in that apartment right down to the bare drywall.

Pibgorn

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A Nemi.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Big Nate

Frazz

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Aardmania posted:

Kit 'n' Carlyle also ended this month after 35 years. It didn't have much fanfare for its final strip.

This just reads to me as a person abandoning their cat in an old apartment.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Good heavens! That burglar stole everything in that apartment right down to the bare drywall.

Who is that guy? Is that the rude cello guy? Whose phone is that? Why is it leading to that void where Amos and Edda are? Is Brooke suffering from dementia?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Green Intern posted:

This just reads to me as a person abandoning their cat in an old apartment.

Me too, but why is the apartment number on the inside of the door?

Odonata posted:

Big Nate

Don't you love strips where the parent of a small child, someone who would typically be in his 30s or 40s, has Boomer tastes and attitudes?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

God! You idiots have been at this for a week! Just hang up the phone and gently caress! Jesus!

I was going to go ahead and start posting my backlog of classic soaps, but as I was scrolling down I saw how the new story in Juliet Jones starts and I COULDN'T WAIT.

Except for about a minute. Let's get some other bullshit out of the way first:

Luann

Where's Quill? Shouldn't he be there to help with introductions? Did he scamper out a window after Luann overheard him pretending to get it on with Prudence?

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Sally Forth has been great for a while now, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it to start making me feel ways about stuff. Poor Ted and his toxic family. :smith:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

:ohdear:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

:ohdear:

Looks like we're headed for an amnesia plot!

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

I know I'm late to the party, but I have the feeling Pru is going to be outed as a trans woman so Evans can prove how hip and modern he is.

But if that is the case, of course he had to go way over the top with the character design

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Selachian posted:

Me too, but why is the apartment number on the inside of the door?

Don't you love strips where the parent of a small child, someone who would typically be in his 30s or 40s, has Boomer tastes and attitudes?

It makes more sense than 8 year olds having the same tastes like you'd see in other places of the comics section.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

God! You idiots have been at this for a week! Just hang up the phone and gently caress! Jesus!

Didn't Brooke JUST do a "characters tied together with phone cord" sequence in Pibgorn? I suppose it is kind of sad when advancing technology makes one of your fetishes obsolete. It's like having a thing for high-button shoes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Shawn Cotureier posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but I have the feeling Pru is going to be outed as a trans woman so Evans can prove how hip and modern he is.

But if that is the case, of course he had to go way over the top with the character design

Evans was too chickenshit to do an actual pot brownie gag, you think she dares draw a trans?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Cosima posted:

Who is that guy? Is that the rude cello guy? Whose phone is that? Why is it leading to that void where Amos and Edda are? Is Brooke suffering from dementia?

That's Seth, Edda's gay roommate who's in the same ballet company as her. There actually used to be something of a plot, with Edda working as a ballerina and Amos with the conservatory, but after the Belgian balloon-loving story it really got derailed. There also used to be a subplot about Edda modeling and the modeling company preparing to screw her over royally but that got dumped when we got the year and a half of Nazi poo poo we didn't care about.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Seeing as she's got no eyebrows maybe she's just got cancer and Evans wants some of that sweet winkerbean pie.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Where's Quill? Shouldn't he be there to help with introductions? Did he scamper out a window after Luann overheard him pretending to get it on with Prudence?

This person is most of the way to being in a different art style. It's almost as jarring as when working daze is a stupid lazy piece of poo poo and has outside the building be a GIS photo of a parking lot or something.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Take it Right in the Gut Comix!

Pooch Café

Settle down, Poo Poo. Look at the unnatural colour and the screen door dithering, clearly it's a video game ham. All Poncho is going to do is put it on the floor, stand overtop of it, and duck.

Ballard Street

Woah, okay, we're getting into this right now? You're standing like a goddamn Brooke McEldowney character, how about that?

Lost Side of Suburbia

Speaking of Brooke, I feel like this might come in handy in this thread:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't trust those newfangled doodads.

Working Daze actually doesn't have a nerd character reference in it! :monocle:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix revisits an old friend.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Outland

Ripley's

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Man, I loving hate it whenever that nose fact is brought up. I'm nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other, so the left outline of my nose is always in the center of my vision. gently caress you, people with good brains and/or eyes! t:mad:

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 20, 2015

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Catch-up day, part 1:

Peanuts (November 21-22, 1968)

Mopey Pete's Silver Age Comic Book Fantasy Time

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (June 7-8, 1929)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

EasyEW posted:

Mopey Pete's Silver Age Comic Book Fantasy Time

"Where the Deuce?" How far back is this?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (June 7-8, 1929)

The comparisons I made against Dragon Ball Z last time seem even more apt now. Only it's fall takes instead of openly gaping at how they're not dead.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Silver age of comics is what, late 50's to late 60's?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pretty much. It seemed like a fair guess, since all the BatTom covers we've seen were knockoffs of Julius Schwartz-era DC.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

I don't think this is obvious enough they're in Boston. Could you get on the state house steps maybe

(I actually am delighted he's using good location reference, and the two strips in sequence are accurate--they are taking a common tourist walk through the Back Bay, not like the locations are miles apart).

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

And so Hugh just walks away and everything is super. THE END

Secret Agent X-9

Nice SMACK.

Nipponophile posted:

I know you've been following these threads for a while. Don't you remember the finale of Little Orphan Annie a couple years back where a strip that had been running since the Great Depression ended suddenly mid-story while Annie had been kidnapped by criminals?

If it weren't for the new Dick Tracy team performing their roles as the saviors of American newspaper comics, her picture would still be on milk cartons.
You know, I didn't remember that, and now I see from other posters that ending a comic strip is often apparently without any resolution at all, much less fanfare. Even so, I don't think it should be that way. I am sure I felt similar about Little Orphan Annie when it ended, but I cared less about that one than A3G because I don't think I ever had it in my local paper.

Anyways, Apartment 3-G, in which today no statement a character makes relates to any other statement the other character makes. They just kind of stare off and say things.

I am not sure now if there is going to be a Sunday or not. From what I've read it's the 21st that's the end, so this could very well be the penultimate strip. It makes sense for A3G because Sundays are just recap for papers that only run Sunday I think. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Hoover Dam posted:

I don't think this is obvious enough they're in Boston. Could you get on the state house steps maybe

(I actually am delighted he's using good location reference, and the two strips in sequence are accurate--they are taking a common tourist walk through the Back Bay, not like the locations are miles apart).

I smiled when I saw those ducks.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Selachian posted:

Eh, I'm in my mid-20s and I'm a pretty big fan of Bob Dylan; it's not outrageous that the dad could be as well. Plus a fair number of artists still cover "Masters of War," as it's fairly timeless.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Julet Esqu posted:

RIP

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

coronatae posted:

That's Seth, Edda's gay roommate who's in the same ballet company as her. There actually used to be something of a plot, with Edda working as a ballerina and Amos with the conservatory, but after the Belgian balloon-loving story it really got derailed. There also used to be a subplot about Edda modeling and the modeling company preparing to screw her over royally but that got dumped when we got the year and a half of Nazi poo poo we didn't care about.

I vaguely remember these plot lines. This guy doesn't look like Seth though, unless Seth got a redesign. I don't get why the phone cord is going out the window? That's why I thought it was in Wimpy's house. I know it's best not to over think it, but the fact that Brooke shows complete disregard for continuity and plot in favour of perpetual narcissistic masturbation is offensive.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cosima posted:

I vaguely remember these plot lines. This guy doesn't look like Seth though, unless Seth got a redesign. I don't get why the phone cord is going out the window? That's why I thought it was in Wimpy's house. I know it's best not to over think it, but the fact that Brooke shows complete disregard for continuity and plot in favour of perpetual narcissistic masturbation is offensive.

They leaped out the window while tangled up in the phone to avoid the phone so they could bone outside while dangling from the phone. Also something about that lady who dumped the soda on the other guy.

While gay Hulk was home.

DO NOT QUESTION THE MASTER

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Dewgy posted:

They leaped out the window while tangled up in the phone to avoid the phone so they could bone outside while dangling from the phone. Also something about that lady who dumped the soda on the other guy.

While gay Hulk was home.

DO NOT QUESTION THE MASTER

I was going to delete my post because I no longer care. I went back several pages to check which of them had the green corded phone when I could have been doing literally anything else with my time. Jesus Christ.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I think he just drew a really hosed up looking Seth.

To explain the current situation, we must first remember that Brooke believes young people in TYOOL 2015 would have a landline and a cord phone in their apartment. Wimpy is in NYC for some cello thing, and at the last minute needed someone to accompany her on piano. She somehow knew the number for Edda's landline, and called hoping Edda would back her up (or maybe she wanted Amos I forget if he plays piano). Edda is in the middle of the weirdo thing Brooke portrays when she and Amos are getting intimate and, annoyed at the interruption, she chucks the phone out the window. Since it's a cord phone, the phone remains dangling out the window until Seth spots it. Seth has a relatively low tolerance for Edda's rude bullshit and is now using the phone cord to wrangle her and Amos to get their attention.

E: fuuuuck I wrote out this thing on my phone and now you don't care. All the characters in this goddamn strip are dumb but Seth isn't terrible because he really doesn't take Edda's crap most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

coronatae posted:

I think he just drew a really hosed up looking Seth.

To explain the current situation, we must first remember that Brooke believes young people in TYOOL 2015 would have a landline and a cord phone in their apartment. Wimpy is in NYC for some cello thing, and at the last minute needed someone to accompany her on piano. She somehow knew the number for Edda's landline, and called hoping Edda would back her up (or maybe she wanted Amos I forget if he plays piano). Edda is in the middle of the weirdo thing Brooke portrays when she and Amos are getting intimate and, annoyed at the interruption, she chucks the phone out the window. Since it's a cord phone, the phone remains dangling out the window until Seth spots it. Seth has a relatively low tolerance for Edda's rude bullshit and is now using the phone cord to wrangle her and Amos to get their attention.

E: fuuuuck I wrote out this thing on my phone and now you don't care. All the characters in this goddamn strip are dumb but Seth isn't terrible because he really doesn't take Edda's crap most of the time.

Thank you. I'm actually satisfied with this explanation. Now to never read 9cwl again.

• Locked thread