Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate seeing Steve Jobs' dumb face with his hand on his chin every time I go to a bookstore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shibawanko posted:

I hate seeing Steve Jobs' dumb face with his hand on his chin every time I go to a bookstore.

Fortunately two bombed biopics in a row hopefully means we have reached the end of the billionaire hagiography.

Now I know what Huxley was making fun of when he made Ford a god.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

From what I've heard, the books make Steve out to be an rear end in a top hat who was willing to crush any opposition including his friends

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

suck and stroke my rancid balls

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

suck and stroke my rancid balls

Don't be so hard on yourself, I think you have very nice balls

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

From what I've heard, the books make Steve out to be an rear end in a top hat who was willing to crush any opposition including his friends

He was a stupid computer nerd.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Steve, I mean.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fortunately two bombed biopics in a row hopefully means we have reached the end of the billionaire hagiography.

the movies may have bombed but that Steve Jobs book did very well

IIRC Warren Buffet's autiobiography a few years ago also did very well

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 11, 2015

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Hey can anyone recommend some good poetry books not by white dudes? I just looked at my bookshelf and all my poetry books are by white dudes (plus one Sylvia Plath). Anything is fine, as long as it's good I'll take a look at it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Countee Cullen

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
derek walcott

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the qur'an

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tree Goat posted:

the qur'an

The bible

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

thehoodie posted:

Hey can anyone recommend some good poetry books not by white dudes? I just looked at my bookshelf and all my poetry books are by white dudes (plus one Sylvia Plath). Anything is fine, as long as it's good I'll take a look at it.

Ai Ogawa, Suji Kwock Kim, Octavio Paz.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yahya hassan

better learn danish tho

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nell Zink's Mislaid was pretty good.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i liked Gabriela Mistral's poems. Yaha Hassan is pretty interesting, too. It's some real authentic rage against the establishment from a disenfranchised palestinian-born teen

ulvir fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 13, 2015

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

finished Submission last night, and I gotta say, the reactions in the media (at least here) has blown this book way out of proportion. Some people accused Houellebecq of grounding his book in the same conspiracy theory that gave way for Anders Behring Breiviks actions, but the only similarities is that the setting is basically that, for reasons unknown, the muslims in his universe is somehow homogenous and many enough in numbers that they could rally behind one single political party. Pretty much anything and everything else is all about shameless hedonism, including François' conversion to Islam by the final chapter, and is more about him submitting to a deity rather than, you know, the world falling over its knees under sharia or whatever-the-heck.

And I'm not entirely sure why Knausgård spent several paragraphs lauding Houellebecq's unmatched genius the way he did in his review, but to each their own, I guess.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Just finished Stoner and loved it. Beautifully written, and there was a subtle feeling of dread underneath everything, for me. I couldn't put it down.

I think I'm going to start Spring Snow or Kokoro next. Someone push me towards one of those two.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

If you want to read about a student being obsessed with a dejected older man and how he wants to die constantly read kokorro and remember to check the dimensions of the book before you get it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its just kind of obnoxious because everytime someone criticizes literary fiction its always "college professor is depressed and sleeps with his student blah blah" and these books are a super rarity. Literary fiction is diverse and exciting and its tedious to hear people dismiss because they have this weird "ew english majors" loathing of it.

It's basically someone's criticism of Philip Roth that became a criticism of an entire swath of fiction publishing somehow.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
it's even funnier because far from all of Roth's characters are professors

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Some of his characters don't even like jerking off!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I like jerking off.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

thehoodie posted:

Elizabeth Bishop.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

I like jerking off.

Added to my cestmoi.txt file, thanks

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CestMoi posted:

I like jerking off.

We can see your post history

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Now I know what Huxley was making fun of when he made Ford a god.

Holy poo poo, that realization hit me like a truck

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Holy poo poo, Knausgaard's My Struggle is incredible. I read the first part about dead bodies and was like "I am going to love this book," and now I am still loving this book.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Holy poo poo, Knausgaard's My Struggle is incredible. I read the first part about dead bodies and was like "I am going to love this book," and now I am still loving this book.

I've been reading it for a week or two as well and now into the third one. His rhythm is definitively addictive, i love the way random mini essays pop up while he is doing the most mundane stuff

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 19, 2015

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I just picked up Porochista Khakpour's The Last Illusion based on the strength of her awesome preface to The Blind Owl and so far it looks like I made a good decision.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 25, 2022

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

pleasecallmechrist posted:

Do yall have any interest in discussing literary journals? I recently purchased collections from Electric Literature and am pleased to report that while it may be contemporary fiction from emerging or new writers, there are some solid pieces. I've begun using these journals' sites to scour for newer writers and quick reads and it's been rewarding so far. If nothing else to keep you grounded.

The Pushcart rankings are pretty good place to start if you want to check out consistently high-quality journals: http://cliffordgarstang.com/2015-pushcart-prize-ranking-of-literary-magazines-fiction/

Their ranking system can be a little odd (iirc, they favor places that have both print and online components, and which publish both fiction and poetry) but you can pretty much guarantee that every name on that list is publishing really good stuff.

Electric Literature also has a Recommended Reading blog that posts a short story every week + free access to the archives. The vast majority of stories they pick are by new / up-and-coming authors (and there's always a sidebar by the editor explaining why they picked the story and what the author is up to), and their tastes are pretty varied.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I think I'm going to read the Good Terrorists now because terrorism is cool and very in right now plus I tripped on it reminding me that I owned it

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Fernando Pessoa pretending to be Englisgh writes better poems than most English people.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I haven't had a job for 4 days and I have read half of the Sickness Unto Death, 2 Cosmicomics, played 20 hours of Binding of Isaac and watched the entirety of season 3 of House, M.D.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Stravinsky posted:

I think I'm going to read the Good Terrorists now because terrorism is cool and very in right now plus I tripped on it reminding me that I owned it

I just read The Secret Agent again.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

I haven't had a job for 4 days and I have read half of the Sickness Unto Death, 2 Cosmicomics, played 20 hours of Binding of Isaac and watched the entirety of season 3 of House, M.D.

binding of isaac owns

i've been reading this year's latvian books for the last month or so and will continue for another month. an assignmnent i don't want to repeat again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I just read The Secret Agent again.
never a bad idea