Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Breeders are evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sagebrush posted:

There's a ritzy apartment complex going up downtown here in San Francisco, and one of the prominent points they advertise on the fence is a "dedicated dog-washing room." Seems like being a dog fancier/breeder/showgoer is one of the main outlets for the idle rich.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/11/homebuilder-debuts-new-dog-shower-in-houston.html

It's all over the place now.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Having a place to wash your dog in an apartment would be pretty great, especially if it meant I'd only need a shower instead of a full tub in my probably very small unit. I know even with my cats living in an apartment vs the house I'm in now, it's great to be able to take the litter box out back and hose it out rather than wash it in the tub. Like all things and can be taken to an extreme by the rich but I think actually at a basic level it's a very good and practical thing to have in an apartment building, especially if you want to be dog friendly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I wash my dog in my shower. Why would I need a tub? Dispense water into bucket, pour water on dog, apply shampoo, lather, rinse, done.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I've seen things almost exactly like that at dog grooming places, like the ones operated out of someone's house/basement suite.

Yes, except they're made of aluminum, not ugly mis-matched granite. It's in the same reasoning of why most dogs will get washed with the world's finest dog shampoo, watered down Dial dish soap, instead of perfumed waygu cow crap. It's quality and economy, not flashy bullshit.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

My condo had flood damage from the upstairs unit when he was washing his cat in the living room and the tub spilled. Why is someone washing a cat? Why wouldn't you just use the bathroom? A dog washing station is something everyone should have.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

I think

is spot on.

There's a ritzy apartment complex going up downtown here in San Francisco, and one of the prominent points they advertise on the fence is a "dedicated dog-washing room." Seems like being a dog fancier/breeder/showgoer is one of the main outlets for the idle rich.

Apartment companies have pretty much entirely given up on building anything by luxury units so they are all in an arms race to include fancy sounding but useless amenities. It is the same reason why it is pretty much impossible to find an apartment building from the last 20 years without a fitness center or reservable movie room or in the past 10 without stainless steel appliances and granite/quartz countertops - but those aren't enough anymore so you are starting to see the spread of the dog shower.

It is pretty simple math for the developer: they can list it as a fancy feature to show how their luxurious complex is better than the other ones and have accordingly higher rents, it invites pet owners who they can charge even more rent to, and it won't cost much to maintain because odds are nobody will use the drat thing because anyone who can afford rent will just pay for a groomer.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Suspect Bucket posted:

.... It's in the same reasoning of why most dogs will get washed with the world's finest dog shampoo, watered down Dial dish soap, instead of perfumed waygu cow crap. It's quality and economy, not flashy bullshit.

I thought most folks just bought a bottle of non eye irritating baby or puppy shampoo (whichever is cheaper) then used that forever because how often are you really going to bathe your dog?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I thought most folks just bought a bottle of non eye irritating baby or puppy shampoo (whichever is cheaper) then used that forever because how often are you really going to bathe your dog?

Some people think you need to bathe your pet like every week.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My dad always just took the cats in the shower stall with him when he showered, I thought that's what most people did?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Twerk from Home posted:

My dad always just took the cats in the shower stall with him when he showered, I thought that's what most people did?

That seems like a good way to get blood all over the shower.

\/ Also yeah, never wash a cat unless it's done something incredibly stupid like climb in a bucket of powdered red paint.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 19, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cats shouldn't be washed anyway. The only time you should wash a cat is if it's gotten sprayed by a skunk or just ran through some wet housepaint or something like that. Soap is really bad for their skin and they are way better off just cleaning themselves.

Of course, dogs are giant fuckin' idiots who can't clean themselves and like to roll around in the mud and you have to take them for walks where they enjoy interacting with the filthy environment, so needing to wash a dog on the regular is more undertandable.

Basically what I'm saying is cats > dogs

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I wash my dog by throwing a stick into the creek. He loves it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Well, for higher maintenance 'hair' breeds like say a maltese or poodle, you want to get them groomed between every six weeks to 2 months. For short haired 'furred' dogs, bathe them when they smell (generally more in summer), groomed by a pro once or twice a year when they are shedding the worst. (Keep an eye on their nails to make sure they're not getting too long) Getting them properly groomed when they are 'blowing coat' and shedding winter fur cuts down on shed around the house. Do not get dogs like labradors, shepards, goldens, ect, shaved. It destroys their coat.

Dawn Dish Soap is great because it cuts grease like crazy, but gentle enough to use on things like oilspill affected shorebirds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Cats shouldn't be washed anyway. The only time you should wash a cat is if it's gotten sprayed by a skunk or just ran through some wet housepaint or something like that. Soap is really bad for their skin and they are way better off just cleaning themselves.

Of course, dogs are giant fuckin' idiots who can't clean themselves and like to roll around in the mud and you have to take them for walks where they enjoy interacting with the filthy environment, so needing to wash a dog on the regular is more undertandable.

Basically what I'm saying is cats > dogs

Cats are solitary predators where it's a benefit to stay hidden, so they keep themselves clean to not alert their prey by smell.

Dogs hunt in packs, and in the wild, wolves have been seen sending one member of a pack upwind of a prey animal to try and scare it towards the rest of the pack that's waiting downwind. There's no particular benefit to keeping clean.

See also: retractable claws

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Baronjutter posted:

Some people think you need to bathe your pet like every week.

The hell? I wash my dog on a need basis, whenever she's dumb enough to roll in something particularly nasty, she get's the garden hose.

We do take her to the creek/sea and solve the issue that way too. Nothing's better than the fur of a dog, after she's been in the sea for a while.

To get back on topic, I'm in Macau right now, enjoying foreing exchange, and this Campus was build waaaay to fast, this place is crappy construction paradise.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I washed my cat when it was younger when it got poop on it's butt of paws. And by wash I mean dip it in water and leave it locked in the bathroom to take care of the rest so that I didn't get cut or stabbed, and before it spent 10 or 15 minutes wandering around deciding where it should start cleaning.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

RagnarokZ posted:

To get back on topic, I'm in Macau right now, enjoying foreing exchange, and this Campus was build waaaay to fast, this place is crappy construction paradise.

You can't tease us like that without posting some pictures or something.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

This gently caress ugly bookcase:

http://imgur.com/gallery/m0k8a

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

NancyPants posted:

Someone get them a t-square and bubble level, cripes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NancyPants posted:

It’s got that ’30s hermit shack look.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Look at all that wasted space. Could have fit another shelf into each one easily.

And rhyming "varnish" with "finished", really?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Someone get them a t-square and bubble level, cripes.

That's a funny way to spell matches.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I already feel better about the bookshelves I'm going to build, because they won't look that bad.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

The marble (or whatever it is) extends to the right as a countertop about 5 feet off the ground. It's some rich assholes scuba gear washing station. House is being built for around 10 million dollars.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Why would anyone choose that awful "covered in mould" colour?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Gardenator posted:

The marble (or whatever it is) extends to the right as a countertop about 5 feet off the ground. It's some rich assholes scuba gear washing station. House is being built for around 10 million dollars.

if you are spending that kind of scratch on a custom house, why design it so that you'll get a door handle in the small of your back every time your partner wants to ask you what you want for dinner when you've finished playing with your toys?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
like I give a gently caress if a door hits the help
\
:wotwot:

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

NancyPants posted:

It says they were floor boards but they look like concrete form boards to me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

spog posted:

if you are spending that kind of scratch on a custom house, why design it so that you'll get a door handle in the small of your back every time your partner wants to ask you what you want for dinner when you've finished playing with your toys?
That's why you tell the chef what to make the day before, duh.

...I would love a tub that deep, though, I would absolutely do dumbass stuff like that if I were ludicrously rich. In the meantime I also want bookcases that shallow, but in no other way similar to those bookcases.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Gardenator posted:

That makes sense. I remember my uncle soaking SCUBA gear in a bucket in his garage. It takes a lot of washing.

Sagebrush posted:

Dogs hunt in packs, and in the wild, wolves have been seen sending one member of a pack upwind of a prey animal to try and scare it towards the rest of the pack that's waiting downwind. There's no particular benefit to keeping clean.

I know you're talking about wolves, but have you imagined a pack of golden retrievers hunting like this? It's hilarious!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

GotLag posted:

Why would anyone choose that awful "covered in mould" colour?

Because it hides the inevitable mould, duh.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

...I would love a tub that deep, though, I would absolutely do dumbass stuff like that if I were ludicrously rich.

Serious question: we all know how absurdly ornate a toilet-culture luxo-bathroom can get. What is the "I have too much money just look at this throne" equivalent in cultures that normally poo poo in a hole in the floor?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Splizwarf posted:

Serious question: we all know how absurdly ornate a toilet-culture luxo-bathroom can get. What is the "I have too much money just look at this throne" equivalent in cultures that normally poo poo in a hole in the floor?

A solid gold floor with a hole in it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Splizwarf posted:

In the UAE and Saudi Arabia, you can still find Solid Gold Toilets and Gold plated shitters in a lot of the mansions there.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I want a solid gold toilet with integrated bidet that shoots Cristal at my rear end, then dries it with unicorn farts.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

It says they were floor boards but they look like concrete form boards to me.

They look mostly like the floorboards in my century-old home. You can see pretty uniform spacing where they were nailed to something else, though it looks like they were maybe on 4xsomethings rather than 2xwhatever joists that I am accustomed to seeing floorboards nailed to. And the guy left the nails in? It looks like they are still sticking up when the cat is inspecting the drat things. A rather shame that such abominations exist in a room that otherwise has a nice floor and beautiful crown moulding, but some people have all their taste in their mouth, so what you gonna do?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I admit, the idea amused me, but why wouldn't you at least plane and sand them to be more uniform? Cut them down to more uniform lengths? Maybe not use the fully-rotten timbers? 'Rustic' is making a bookshelf out of recycled wood, 'exotic' is managing to put one together out of driftwood, 'ramshackle' is about where those appear to be. I'm sure they're reasonably functional, but they just look so out of place in that room.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
The guy was using a hand saw, it is pretty safe to say he isn't the best equipped to tackle this project and have the end product look like anything other than it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
He could also use a hand plane and a handful of sandpaper. :colbert:

That said, that would transform them from "possibly interesting used wood(INTEREST NOT GUARANTEED)" into just " some boards", which defeats any purpose other than "I couldn't otherwise afford this amount of wood". The problem isn't the wood itself, it's that bookshelves (which exist to be mostly covered in things) are a poor showcase for reclaimed/antique wood; it's compounded by the bookshelves looking so out of place in that room.