Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Ninjaedit: Well drat me for being slow at typing and not remembering where my relevant books are. Well, I made an effort post and I'm going to post it, even though the question was answered.

Mordja posted:

Can someone go into Warhammer's magic system a little more? I only understand the basics of it. Like, I know that the empire has a bunch of different schools, while high elves have less variety but more powerful spell, but do the different races share spells at all? Also, does all magic ultimately draw from the warp (which can explode you), even stuff like Ork shamanism or whatever Lizardment use, despite the latter's strong hatred for Chaos?

Magic in Warhammer is a powerful and unpredictable force which flows from the Realm of Chaos. It manifests as Winds of Magic, which wax and wane depending on the surrounding area, the positions of the moon, recent events, time, pretty much everything. Sometimes you have difficulties finding any Winds, sometimes they're too powerful and your head explodes, creating a portal for Chaos Daemons. Like I said, unpredictable and powerful. There are eight different coloured Winds of Magic, which each correspond to a lore. Only Elves, Lizardmen and Empire have access to all eight lores, and only Elves and Slaan Mage-Priests can master all eight lores. There are also several more rare and race-specific lores. I'm giving a brief description of all the lores from the tabletop game's point of view, the RPGs delve a bit deeper into the themes of different lores.

The eight winds are:
- Fire (Bright Magic, Immolation, Pyromancy), spells of destruction and, well, fire. From fireballs to flaming swords, it's pretty clear what the deal is.
- Beasts (Amber Magic, Totem Calling, Shapeshifting) is mostly about buffs and releasing the primal rage within. It also has a spell that can transform the caster into a Manticore.
- Metal (Golf Magic, Alchemy, Transmutancy) is about manipulation of materials and it's most damaging against troops wearing heavy armour.
- Light (White Wizardry, Soulkeeping, Guardian Magic) is mostly protective magic, granting defensive bonuses. It does contain a couple of exorcism spells, which are useful against Undead and Demons.
- Life (Jade Magic, Druid Lore, Animism) isanother defensive lore, that can heal troops and buff their defensive abilities.
- Heavens (Celestial Magic,Astromancy, Divination) is about dropping comets on your opponents, as well as manipulating fate and chance.
- Shadow (Grey Magic, Legerdemain, Phantasmancy) is about illusions and tricks, focusing on debuffing the enemy.
- Death (Amethyst Magic, Necromancy, Soul-stealing) is focused on the inevitability of Death, and it's spells are mainly offensive damage spells similar to Fire, only more powerful and shorter in range.

The other magic lores are:
- High Magic is what you get when you combine the whole spectrum of magic into a refined, better form. Available to High and Wood Elves, as well as Lizardmen, the lore has a balanced mix of spell types.
- Dark Magic on the other hand is what you get when you combine different strands and add a touch of the raw chaotic magic to the mix. This is what Dark Elves and Wood Elves use as their damage-dealing and debuff spells. Technically Dark Magic is also what fuels the Lore of Necromancy used by Vampire Counts.
- Rune Magic is what Dwarfs use instead of casting spells.
- Skaven Magic consists of two lores, the Spells of Plague and Spells of Ruin. I'm not too familiar with the ratmen, so I don't know what their spells are like.
- Great Maw (Gut Magic, Gastromancy) is the lore Ogres use. Ogre Butchers consume different ingredients to fuel their spells, for example eating rocks makes Ogres tougher, while eating brains projects nightmares into the enemies' minds.
- Waaagh! Magic consist of Big Waaagh! used by Orcs and Little Waaagh! used by Goblins. Big spells are about getting to the enemy faster and damaging them, while Little spells are about tricks and debuffs. Waagh! Magic doesn't actually come from the Winds of Magic, but it is channeled from the surrounding greenskins and their battle-spirit.

I think there's one or two more lores, but I can't remember them right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Good stuff. Thanks for the info!

Gastromancy sounds like the most ridiculously Warham thing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fat Samurai posted:

There are no "small ones" in the books I've read. They only come in big, huge or gargantuan sizes.

That's Warhammer lore for you. All orcs are big. All elves are pretty skilled fighters. All dwarves are small and strong as hell.

Disgusting Coward posted:

I think the idea is that any bog-standard orc could murder the gently caress out of any bog-standard human in a 1 v 1 situation, but in a large scale melee the superior discipline and equipment of the pathetic humies can help close the gap a little?

To be fair, in 1v1 anything except maybe the skaven and the goblins can murder the gently caress out of a human 1v1 in the lore. Its just the game rules, they don't match the lore at all and i'm kinda happy about that.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI_tiWg002k

Night Goblins!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oh my Gork. :allears:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

dogstile posted:

That's Warhammer lore for you. All orcs are big. All elves are pretty skilled fighters. All dwarves are small and strong as hell.

Yeah, this is what I meant. I know that game balance (I know, I know...) means that orcs have to be pretty similar to humans, but then you see the lore and everything kind of collapses when everyone is the most awesome thing in the universe ever.

Mordja posted:

Gastromancy sounds like the most ridiculously Warham thing.
Golf magic sounds even more ridiculous.

gently caress yeah, Fanatics!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hahaha, now that's how Fanatics roll :allears:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also mentioned in the video at the end: they're going to reveal the campaign map comming soon (tm)!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Thors Bitch! posted:

Also mentioned in the video at the end: they're going to reveal the campaign map comming soon (tm)!

Grimgor Cinematic Campaign Trailer next week, and campaign footage Soon(tm), to be precise.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh gods i didn't even see that text at the end!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mordja posted:

Can someone go into Warhammer's magic system a little more? I only understand the basics of it. Like, I know that the empire has a bunch of different schools, while high elves have less variety but more powerful spell, but do the different races share spells at all? Also, does all magic ultimately draw from the warp (which can explode you), even stuff like Ork shamanism or whatever Lizardment use, despite the latter's strong hatred for Chaos?

Magic ultimately comes from the Warp, taking the form of the 8 Winds of Magic which flow around the world gathering in places where their expression is greatest. In addition, the elves and Slann practice High Magic and Dark Magic, which are combinations of all 8 winds. I'll focus on these ten for now. Every lore of magic has a Lore Attribute, a passive bonus when using the spells. The 8 basic lores always have the same spells and lore attributes no matter who uses them. High and Dark Magic has different lore attributes based on who uses them, but share the same spells.
Hysh is the wind associated with the lore of Light. It's Lore Attribute is Exorcism, dealing bonus hits against undead and daemons. Its spells are:
Shem's Burning Gaze: A basic direct-damage spell. You'll notice that pretty much every lore has one of these
Pha's Protection: Defensive buff for either one unit or an entire area
Speed of Light: Greatly increases the WS and Initiative of the target unit
Light of Battle: Makes a unit unbreakable and automatically rallies
Net of Amyntok: Unit has to make a strength check in order to move. Failure also deals damage
Banishment: Extra strong damage spell, gets stronger with additional Light wizards nearby. Even better against daemons than regular light magic.
Birona's Timewarp: Superspeed buff spell. Always hit first, move extra fast, attack more often.

Chamon is the wind associated with the lore of Metal. Its lore attribute is Metalshifting, using your enemy's armor value as your damage roll, working best against heavily armored enemies and counting as Flaming. Its spells are:
Searing Doom: Direct damage spell with good range.
Plague of Rust: Reduces your target's armor save for the rest of the battle
Enchanted Blades of Aiban: Boosts all nearby warriors with +1 to hit and magic armor piercing qualities.
Glittering Robe: Temporarily boost a friendly unit's armor by 2. Funnily counts as a Scaly Skin trait, so doesn't stack with lizardmen.
Gehenna's Golden Hounds: Deals direct damage to a specific model, even if its in an enemy unit
Transmutation of Lead: Anti-Blades of Aiban, gives enemies a penalty to hit
Final Transmutation: Turns part of the target unit to gold, killing effected models instantly and making nearby units check for Stupidity or else go loot the "statues"

Ghyran is the wind associated with the lore of Life. Its lore attribute is Lifebloom, which restores a lost wound to a nearby model any time it casts a spell. Its spells are:
Earth Blood: Grants regeneration to the mage's unit
Awakening of the Wood: Direct damage spell that gets stronger if the enemy is in a forest
Flesh to Stone: Huge buff to a unit's toughness. Turn those pansy high elves into unkillable juggernauts without losing any offensive power!
Throne of Vines: Arguably the most important Life spell, this makes you nearly immune to miscasts and makes all of your other Life spells more potent
Shield of Thorns: Damage enemies in contact with your ally unit
Regrowth: Restores wounds to a unit, which can bring dead models back to life. Works great on elites, since it revives just as many White Lions as Militia
Dweller's Below: One of the strongest spells in the game, everyone in the target unit has to pass a strength check or die.

Azyr is the wind associated with the lore of the Heavens. Its lore attribute is Roiling Skies, which causes all of its effects to damage fliers, even those that don't normally deal damage. Its spells are:
Iceshard Blizzard: Gives a penalty to hit and morale against the target unit. Best against cannons or other ranged units that don't roll to-hit, as it gives them a flat 50% failure rate
Harmonic Convergence: Target unit rerolls 1s until their next turn. 2+ armor saves or high-strength weapons love this.
Wind Blast: Attack spell that pushes the target unit around. Lots of fun, but not always useful.
Curse of the Midnight Wind: Anti-Harmonic Convergence. Enemy unit rerolls 6s. Great on enemies with Killing Blow (instant death on a 6) or Poison (autowounds on a 6)
Urannon's Thunderbolt: Direct target damage spell, calls down the lightning
Comet of Cassandora: The spell we keep seeing Empire wizards cast. You pick a spot on the table. Every turn, that spot will either be hit by a comet for lots of damage or it will delay and get even stronger. Great against stationary targets like war machines
Chain Lightning: Direct damage spell that keeps jumping between enemy units

Ulgu is the wind associated with the lore of Shadows. Its lore attribute is Smoke and Mirrors, which lets the wizard swap places with another nearby character. Its spells are:
Melkoth's Mystifying Miasma: A very solid debuff spell, hits movement, weapon skill, ballistic skill and initiative
Steed of Shadows: Summon a spooky horse and fly across the battlefield, giving you a bonus movement option
Enfeebling Foe: Lowers enemy's Strength. INCREDIBLY useful, as the difference between S6 and S3 is huge
The Withering: Lowers enemy's Toughness. Even more useful than Enfeebling Foe most of the time, which is saying something.
Penumbral Pendulum: Hits all enemy units in a line, but the length of the line is unpredictable. Unlike an actual pendulum.
Pit of Shades: AoE spell that targets your enemy's Initiative, dwarfs do not like it.
Okkam's Mindrazor: Arguably the strongest spell, definitely the strongest buff. Replaces your unit's strength with their leadership. For those who don't know, Ld averages at 7, easily reaching 9-10, while Strength averages at 3, rarely exceeding 4. Chaff turns into super killy badasses.

Shyish is the wind associated with the lore of Death. Its lore attribute is Life Leeching, which gives you bonus magic dice for causing damage. Its spells are:
Spirit Leech: Essentially opposed Leadership checks, dealing damage based on how much you win by.
Aspect of the Dreadknight: Gives a unit fear or terror. Pretty useful and super cheap to cast.
Caress of Laniph: Deals damage to enemies, who take more hits the lower their strength is. Ignores armor and wounds on a flat value, so great against elite units.
Soulblight: Huge AoE debuff that slightly lowers enemy Strength and Toughness
Doom and Darkness: Lowers target's leadership. Works great on Leaders, anyone with Okkam's Mindrazor active, and anyone you plan to Spirit Leech
Fate of Bjuna: Snipes a unit, hitting more times against low toughness units. If they survive, they become Stupid
Purple Sun of Xereus: Against any army with low initiative, this can win the game outright. Summons a moving vortex that makes any model it touches it touches make an initiative check or die. Dwarfs have a 1/3 chance of passing this.

Aqshy is the wind associated with the lore of Fire. its lore attribute is Kindleflame, which makes all of its damage Flaming and makes each consecutive spell you target at a unit easier to cast. Its spells are:
Fireball: A ball of fire. Great damage spell.
Cascading Fire-Cloak: Defensive fire spell, but only works on mage's unit.
Flaming Sword of Rhuin: Summons a lightsaber, boosts all your damage, even with bows
The Burning Head: Damage and panic in a line. Cool mental image (screaming fire skull barrels through enemies!) but mediocre effect
Piercing Bolts of Burning: Whichever wizard discovered this spell was bad at names. Fires bolts that pierce and burn, hitting more times based on how many ranks your enemy has.
Fulminating Flame Cage: If your enemy moves, they take damage. Great against light skirmishers.
Flame Storm: Big AoE damage spell, but only S4 instead of instant death like Purple Sun. Fun, but meh.

Ghur is the wind associated with the lore of Beasts. Its lore attribute is Wildheart, which makes it easier to cast on mounted units or beastmen. Its spells are:
Wyssan's Wildform: A great basic spell, gives a nice boost to your units stats
Flock of Doom: Summons a swarm of birds to peck at your enemy. Extremely weak, but cheap to cast.
Pann's Impenetrable Pelt: Makes your characters tougher. Pretty useful against strong enemies.
The Amber Spear: Throws a very strong Bolt Thrower attack that always hits. A great damage spell.
Curse of Araheir: Trips your enemies, making them risk death every time they move.
Savage Beast of Horrors: Big boost to your heroes strength, turns even wizards into death beasts
Transformation of Kadon: LITERALLY turn your wizard into a death beast. Can transform the caster into a list of things, including dragons. Prevents casting, but turns your weak S3 wizard into a GODDAMN DRAGON

Saphery is the name for all eight winds woven together in harmony, creating impressively powerful effects. It is High magic, and can be used by High Elves, Wood Elves and Slann.
High Elves get the lore attribute Shield of Saphery, which increases their ward saves each time a High spell is cast. 3+ ward save swordmasters? Yes please.
Wood Elves get Ancient's Protection. That gives them an ablative wound for their unit each time a spell is cast. Strictly better than Life's attribute.
Slann get Contemplation, which lets them forget the spell they just cast to roll a random spell from any lore.
High Magic spells:
Drain Magic: Cancels active spells, not caring about how strong they are.
Soul Quench: Good direct damage spell, comparable to Fireball.
Apotheosis: Really cheap to cast, restores some health and grants Fear.
Hand of Glory: Boosts Movement, WS, BS and I
Walk Between Worlds: Target becomes ethereal and moves a huge distance
Tempest: AoE damage spell, good against fliers, that also gives a penalty to hit
Arcane Unforging: Metal-lore style damage spell that destroys magic items
Fiery Convocation: Goodbye, hordes. Good strength hit against every model in the unit, and it happens every turn until dispelled.

Dhar is the name for the eight winds mashed together into a powerful but unstable abomination. It is Dark Magic, and can be used by Dark Elves and Wood Elves.
Dark Elves get the lore attribute Spiteful Conjuration, dealing a bunch of super weak hits against any enemy targeted by a Dark spell.
Wood Elves get Wrath of the Wood. Non-damage spells add vengeance tokens to the enemy unit, damage spells consume them to damage more.
Dark Magic spells:
Power of Darkness: +1S for the mage, but also adds 1d3 magic dice
Doombolt: Expensive damage spell, but it hits HARD
Word of Pain: Lowers WS and BS, and can also hit S and I
Bladewind: Every model in the unit has to check WS or take a hit
Shroud of Despair: -1 leadership, can't use general's leadership
Soulstealer: Small aoe, small damage, but heals the wizard for each wound inflicted
Arnizpel's Black Horror: Like the Purple Sun, but hits Strength instead of Initiative.

There are other lores for specific armies, I can write those up too if you like

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The whole "still have a painted miniature look in game" art style they chose is loving awesome.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I think there's one or two more lores, but I can't remember them right now.

Many more than one or two:

Lore of Vampires: Essentially "Necromancy: Vampire Count edition". Raises zombies/skeletons and buffs them. Also has a couple of offensive spells.
Lore of Nehekara: Another brand of necromancy, this time Tomb King flavored. Does pretty much the same kinds of stuff as the VC version.
Lore of Undeath: Added with End Times: Nagash. Actual, capital-N Necromancy that lets you summon undead units far more powerful than skeletons or zombies. Broken as poo poo.
Lore of the Wild: The beastman specific lore. Does bestial things. Can cause enemy mounts to go wild, your units to suddenly lunge savagely at the enemy, and even summon wandering monsters. You get the idea.
Lores of Chaos: All chaos gods except Khorne have their specific lore. Tzeentch's deals damage and manipulates magic. Nurgle's lore is dual purpose, most spells can either give one of your units a buff or one enemy unit a debuff. Slaanesh's lore consists mostly of leadership based offense. These lores are used both by Warriors of Chaos and Daemons.
Lore of Hashut: The lore of the Chaos Dorf god. Can deal large amounts direct damage but also includes some quite nasty debuffs. Not as "official" as the others as it comes from Forge World book.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Many more than one or two:

Lore of Vampires: Essentially "Necromancy: Vampire Count edition". Raises zombies/skeletons and buffs them. Also has a couple of offensive spells.
Lore of Nehekara: Another brand of necromancy, this time Tomb King flavored. Does pretty much the same kinds of stuff as the VC version.
Lore of Undeath: Added with End Times: Nagash. Actual, capital-N Necromancy that lets you summon undead units far more powerful than skeletons or zombies. Broken as poo poo.
Lore of the Wild: The beastman specific lore. Does bestial things. Can cause enemy mounts to go wild, your units to suddenly lunge savagely at the enemy, and even summon wandering monsters. You get the idea.
Lores of Chaos: All chaos gods except Khorne have their specific lore. Tzeentch's deals damage and manipulates magic. Nurgle's lore is dual purpose, most spells can either give one of your units a buff or one enemy unit a debuff. Slaanesh's lore consists mostly of leadership based offense. These lores are used both by Warriors of Chaos and Daemons.
Lore of Hashut: The lore of the Chaos Dorf god. Can deal large amounts direct damage but also includes some quite nasty debuffs. Not as "official" as the others as it comes from Forge World book.

In addition to that, the wood elves also used to have the Lore of Athel Loren. That one had a bunch of special interactions with forests and trees, allowing you to actually make a whole forest just move a few meters over there or to pummel a pesky enemy unit inside with its branches. On the whole it was a bit gimmicky and not very good. It has since been replaced with the ability to just nab both Dark and High magic from their cousins, because they're goddamn rebels who don't play by the rules.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

That said, for the purposes of this game, what we know is that a) the Winds of Magic fluctuate and your casters build up casting points over time at a somewhat unpredictable rate, and b) the further north you are (closer to the Chaos Wastes) the more potent the Winds of Magic are.

One key feature that CA has not implied they are porting over from tabletop is miscasting. In tabletop, if you roll the dice a certain way, you can potentially damage your spellcasting if not destroy it and surrounding units.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
They have kinda implied that spell targeting isn't the most reliable thing, though. For damage spells at least I'm guessing the drawback is going to be the possibility of accidentally blowing up your own dudes.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It sounds like friendly fire will be a thing, which is fine. That's normal for a TW game. That said, no, accidentally blowing up your casters due to random number generator rolls hasn't been alluded to, and would be a stupid thing to include. Randomly losing key units in a TW game would be bad game design. Arbitrarily porting over bullshit from tabletop for its own sake would be lazy and thoughtless.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Some sort of controllable miscast chance could work, while also conveying the dangerous nature of harnessing the Winds of Magic.

Maybe something like each spell increases a meter, which if it goes above a certain threshold starts to give a % chance of exploding? You can avoid any exploding chance by just staying below the threshold, but you can also enter a high risk/reward mode if you want to push things.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lassitude posted:

It sounds like friendly fire will be a thing, which is fine. That's normal for a TW game. That said, no, accidentally blowing up your casters due to random number generator rolls hasn't been alluded to, and would be a stupid thing to include. Randomly losing key units in a TW game would be bad game design. Arbitrarily porting over bullshit from tabletop for its own sake would be lazy and thoughtless.

I didn't say that?

I meant more that your targeting cursor for big AOE spells could be more suggestion than science, which is fine and makes chucking huge AOE spells willy nilly a bit chancy.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I interpreted the "drawback of accidentally blowing up your dudes" as separate from the imprecise casting area deal. Woops.

If we want to be "realistic" the Winds of Magic are not acutely dangerous. What they are is chronically dangerous. That is, over time as you use a particular school, you get hosed up relative to that school. Necromancers get all corpse-like, fire mages get all volatile and become pyros, etc. But if every time a wizard in Warhammer cast a spell they had a 5% chance of dying, there'd be no old wizards in Warhammer. The miscast thing was a tabletop gimmick only. Dark Omen did just fine without it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I miss the High Magic spell Move Mountains. It let you move an entire hill on the tabletop and do massive damage to anything in the way. I once removed an entire unit of archers from the game by moving the hill they were standing on off the table. The rules were actually unclear (surprise!) on whether units standing on the hills were supposed to move with them but my opponent thought it was hilarious and went with it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
A bit of extra explanation from the Devs that I was too lazy to copy over earlier.

quote:

Night Goblins come with either with swords or as archers and both types include a variant to add fanatics. The enemy won’t know they’re fanatics until engaged in melee combat. Also included is a Night Goblin Shaman- Lore of little Waaagh. All Night Goblins will include a bonus for fighting underground.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

madmac posted:

Grimgor Cinematic Campaign Trailer next week, and campaign footage Soon(tm), to be precise.

Can't friggin' wait :allears:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

CommissarMega posted:

Can't friggin' wait :allears:

Looking forward to his inspirational 10 second speach of "GO GET DOZE HUMMIES WAAAAGGH!"

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Skandranon posted:

"GO GET DOZE HUMMIES OR I'LL KRUMP YOU GITS WAAAAGGH!"

corrected for accuracy

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

madmac posted:

A bit of extra explanation from the Devs that I was too lazy to copy over earlier.

I'm pretty sure i'm in love with the Devs at this point. This will eat up more of my time than fallout and that's getting 100% of my gaming time right now.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Skandranon posted:

Looking forward to his inspirational 10 second speach of "GO GET DOZE HUMMIES WAAAAGGH!"

my favorite Grimgor quote

"I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash 'eads, break faces and jump up and down on da bits dat are left. An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Haven't heard anything about naval combat... is that not going to be in the game? :ohdear:

Was kind of excited to see metal as gently caress looking boats blowing each other up.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Lassitude posted:

I interpreted the "drawback of accidentally blowing up your dudes" as separate from the imprecise casting area deal. Woops.

If we want to be "realistic" the Winds of Magic are not acutely dangerous. What they are is chronically dangerous. That is, over time as you use a particular school, you get hosed up relative to that school. Necromancers get all corpse-like, fire mages get all volatile and become pyros, etc. But if every time a wizard in Warhammer cast a spell they had a 5% chance of dying, there'd be no old wizards in Warhammer. The miscast thing was a tabletop gimmick only. Dark Omen did just fine without it.

Have they said anything about miscasts, imprecise AOE, or any similar risk vs. reward mechanisms? If I recall correctly, in the blackfire pass video they said that magic was really powerful, but they were balancing it based on it being very limited. To the extent that even in major battles with multiple wizards each side would only cast a couple of spells across the entire battle. This in turn creates pressure not to waste your spells and save them for when they really count.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

I dont know posted:

Have they said anything about miscasts, imprecise AOE, or any similar risk vs. reward mechanisms? If I recall correctly, in the blackfire pass video they said that magic was really powerful, but they were balancing it based on it being very limited. To the extent that even in major battles with multiple wizards each side would only cast a couple of spells across the entire battle. This in turn creates pressure not to waste your spells and save them for when they really count.

Long cooldowns but big effects would be a simple way to make magic a good "oh poo poo" mechanic for sure.

Miscast feels like something they shouldn't bother with, too many problems and its not going to be fun for the 100th time, it may even make you skip getting wizards or whatever alltogether when the non-magical means are safer and almost just as good anyways.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Deakul posted:

Haven't heard anything about naval combat... is that not going to be in the game? :ohdear:

Was kind of excited to see metal as gently caress looking boats blowing each other up.

Precedent exists, GW had "Man O' War" back in the day

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Deakul posted:

They've said no naval combat in the first game, want to focus on land/underground battles, and pointed out with the campaign map it wouldn't end up mattering much anyway.

I suppose it's possible the later games will have boats but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Deakul posted:

No, Man o' War and Dreadfleet got unpersoned and therefor naval combat has no place in a game built around the Warhammer IP. Actual stated reason, welcome to how GW handles their adoptions of everything.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

No, Man o' War and Dreadfleet got unpersoned and therefor naval combat has no place in a game built around the Warhammer IP. Actual stated reason, welcome to how GW handles their adoptions of everything.

Didn't Dreadfleet turn out to be pretty horribly unbalanced and badly designed (like that ever stopped GW before lol) and was sacked for that reason, or am I confusing that with something else?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

Whole old Warhammer world got unpersoned by GW, which is why we have Total War: Warhammer in the first place. I really doubt GW would care if the devs looked for Man o' War or Dreadfleet for inspiration on how to handle naval combat in the setting.

If there will be naval combat inn this game, I would bet it will be introduced in the inevitable Elven expansion. High Elves are located on a bigass island in the middle of ocean and Dark Elves have huge focus on naval combat and piracy, so it would make sense.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 20, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Considering they announced a Man o' War based standalone video game a couple months ago, I can see naval combat coming in later expansions:

http://www.pcgamer.com/man-o-war-corsair-joins-the-warhammer-videogame-cavalcade/

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Didn't Dreadfleet turn out to be pretty horribly unbalanced and badly designed (like that ever stopped GW before lol) and was sacked for that reason, or am I confusing that with something else?

Dreadfleet was sacked due to bad sales. It also had bare none the worst rules of any pre-AoS GW game but GW didn't care about that. What they cared about was that a brand new IP which was explicitly marketed as not being compatible with your old man-o-war models sold less than Space Hulk which was a game people had been clamoring for a rerelease of for ages.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lt. Lizard posted:

If there will be naval combat inn this game, I would bet it will be introduced in the inevitable Elven expansion. High Elves are located on a bigass island in the middle of ocean and Dark Elves have huge focus on naval combat and piracy, so it would make sense.

Shogun still had naval combat, and it took place entirely on an island. But yeah, Warhammer has always been about the land and underground combat, though if there is to be naval combat, it'd have to be with a High Elves and Tomb Kings expansion, at least to start with. I can't see the Dark Elves being a thing, unless they expand the world map to include Lustria and the Lizardmen as well.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

CommissarMega posted:

Shogun still had naval combat, and it took place entirely on an island. But yeah, Warhammer has always been about the land and underground combat, though if there is to be naval combat, it'd have to be with a High Elves and Tomb Kings expansion, at least to start with. I can't see the Dark Elves being a thing, unless they expand the world map to include Lustria and the Lizardmen as well.

So long as they keep making money, I suspect CA would be more than happy to keep creating new expansions till the end of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I dont know posted:

Well, the way it's liable to work is that casters will have low-cost spells and high-cost ones. In Dark Omen, you could only bank a certain amount of magic points, and they flowed in at random rates. It was tempting to wait to save up for a big spell, but that could take a while, and in the meantime, some well-placed low-cost spells could make a significant difference. It made magic fun and useful without being just "wait X time, cast AoE death and destruction, repeat" like how naval bombardments in FotS were. Plus, with flying units, stuff like spellcasters are more vulnerable than you'd think. If you see an enemy caster sitting around not casting for a long time, a bold charge by some flyers to take it out before it can fire off a big unit-destroyed spell might be a really good idea.

If they work like that, I'm sure it'll be fine.

• Locked thread