Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordNat
May 16, 2009
The only reason to have Vit trinkets on a Tank is that the game does not allow me to need on Str ones in Diadem. So stop making fun of me in EXDR ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Drizvolta posted:

I too want extra health I'll never use instead of an easier time holding threat

*opens the Carnac envelope and reveals he had this answer written down all along*

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Tanks are allowed to use Vit accessories when Monk gets a threat reducer.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

I wonder how many runs he gets vote kicked out of after 5 mins.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

LordNat posted:

The only reason to have Vit trinkets on a Tank is that the game does not allow me to need on Str ones in Diadem. So stop making fun of me in EXDR ok?

Vit gear in DR is perfectly fine, because sometimes a lot of the time you get a fuckup healer who can't keep you alive unless you make it as easy as possible for them. Just make sure you also have some Str gear to swap on if the healer isn't bad.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Wow, my first assumption was that the person being pissy was a primadonna tank, turns out it was just a bard. What the gently caress.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

I wonder how many runs he gets vote kicked out of after 5 mins.

But he has his principles :shepface:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Healers need to learn their place

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mordiceius posted:

Wow, my first assumption was that the person being pissy was a primadonna tank, turns out it was just a bard. What the gently caress.

WHAAAAAT??? :psyboom:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

sword_man.gif posted:

it is always loving paladins, every time, who cannot hold aoe for garbage, are slow as loving hell, and have a huge attitude about it

It's because PLD AOE threat gen is complete poo poo compared to WAR and DRK and PLD gets to do zero damage with Flash spam while that unchained/berserked WAR spamming Overpower is contributing to the killing while letting the healer DPS (more) via Bloodbath and other cooldowns. If I tanked and only had PLD to 60 I'd be pissed all the time too.

armoredgorilla posted:

Gotta have that STR boost so we can finish this dungeon 2 minutes faster.

Fister Roboto posted:

This but unironically.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Just starting out. How do I see how much dps and stuff everyone is doing?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Ruzihm posted:

Just starting out. How do I see how much dps and stuff everyone is doing?

It's illegal and you'll definitely go to cat jail.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

It's illegal and you'll definitely go to cat jail.

cat jail doesn't seem so bad v:shobon:v

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I will 100% guarantee you that I could out-DPS that dude on Scholar.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Vermain posted:

Maybe he does this because he's tired of being embarrassed when healers out DPS him, so now he has the excuse of an i22 gearset

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ruzihm posted:

cat jail doesn't seem so bad v:shobon:v

mi'qote fetishist spotted :siren:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vermain posted:

Ya but he would report you for using ACT if you said anything like that.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's because PLD AOE threat gen is complete poo poo compared to WAR and DRK and PLD gets to do zero damage with Flash spam while that unchained/berserked WAR spamming Overpower is contributing to the killing while letting the healer DPS (more) via Bloodbath and other cooldowns. If I tanked and only had PLD to 60 I'd be pissed all the time too.

It's not even the big things like flash and circle of scorn being poo poo. While leveling Warrior I started to stance dance where I thought it'd help to have more emnity/HP/healing and when it was time to FEEL CLEAVE :black101: or mix 'n match as DRK. Now going back to level PLD and I can't even change stances without burning a GCD and my current combo. Warrior is just a more involved, fun class with a bigger payout and comparatively Paladin is just boring and bland. I'm not far into DRK but somebody here said it's what PLD should've been and it's definitely feeling that way so far.

I hope there's something big for them in 3.2 because I like the aesthetic and it's what I started FF14 as my first MMORPG on but otherwise I'm just going to throw it on the shelf to collect dust real soon.

e: not saying that just moving oaths off gcd would fix them but the problems with Paladin feels like everything is from oaths on gcd to garbage aoe abilities.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 20, 2015

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Ya but he would report you for using ACT if you said anything like that.

If SE just allowed the use of ACT or added their own version of it I'd have far less to complain about in this game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vermain posted:

It'd certainly explain their actions.

Oh a healer wants to DPS? They do more damage than me too? Well I'll show them! I'll use lowbie gear as an excuse for why I'm terrible punishment! :downs:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
To be fair if a dps tried that on me I'd just go "lol okay" and let him have dirt naps repeatedly. Thats a little harder to do for tanks but a dragoon with bloodbath or foresight will do in a pinch too.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

To be fair if a dps tried that on me I'd just go "lol okay" and let him have dirt naps repeatedly. Thats a little harder to do for tanks but a dragoon with bloodbath or foresight will do in a pinch too.

Yeah, that's five minutes of laughing followed by a vote kick. Shame the healer bailed first in that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

Swift casting titan out in the middle of a tank argument is so fun.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What are the odds that within a patch or two, they overcompensate and make Paladin overpowered as poo poo? I feel like MMOs get into a cycle of "this class is underpowered so we'd better buff it oh no we buffed it too much" so maybe paladins are due for a gift soon? Or are they just in an impossibly bad place right now?

Maybe they can put flash off the global cooldown. Or just get rid of it, and make circle of scorn the spammable AOE threat generator or something I dunno I'm not a game dev

I want to like paladin because I enjoy the sword-and-board aesthetic but I can't deny that they're just...garbage, they're garbage, it's very noticeable, even to my casual eyes.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

loquacius posted:

mi'qote fetishist spotted :siren:

:catbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ainsley McTree posted:

What are the odds that within a patch or two, they overcompensate and make Paladin overpowered as poo poo?

Not likely at all, imo. They've done a pretty good job at ensuring class balance and viability. They've said they're changing up tank gearing in 3.2, so we probably won't see any changes until after then and we see how the new non-strength tanking works out.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not likely at all, imo. They've done a pretty good job at ensuring class balance and viability. They've said they're changing up tank gearing in 3.2, so we probably won't see any changes until after then and we see how the new non-strength tanking works out.

IB: We just get extra Parry from Vit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
No they're going to do something different than that. IIRC, they're not exactly happy with the tanks as dps paradigm. They're either going to make strength jewelry dps only or perhaps decouple strength from tank damage entirely.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

No they're going to do something different than that. IIRC, they're not exactly happy with the tanks as dps paradigm. They're either going to make strength jewelry dps only or perhaps decouple strength from tank damage entirely.

So they are planing to just make us huge piles of meaningless HP? The entire reason I play Warrior is that I get to play like a DPS while still having the role of a Tank. If they strip away the useful damage dealing I don't see much point in even having the Tank role for half the fights. FF14 already makes Tanking nearly meaningless outside of Tank Busters. Most damage in a fight is avoided by staying out of the glowing floor zones.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

We don't know anything about what we're doing, except that you won't be able to overmeld VIT onto STR accessories or vice versa anymore.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

You got that guy too? My party just kicked him after I figured he was just joking and used cleric stance. Remarkably, he was not kidding and unequipped everything. He was replaced in literally two seconds.

Edit: They were a ninja when I encountered them, but they had a lot of classes leveled.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 21, 2015

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Obligatum VII posted:

You got that guy too? My party just kicked him after I figured he was just joking and used cleric stance. Remarkably, he was not kidding and unequipped everything. He was replaced in literally two seconds.

Edit: They were a ninja when I encountered them, but they had a lot of classes leveled.

That is Star Trek Online levels of crazy, goddamn.

You'd think a dps would be happy to get into whatever DF group they could...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There is no telling, honestly. One thing they might do is make accessories role specific. They've stated that you will be able to meld materia to all gear but that you won't be able to overmeld mainstats. If that's all they do, though, I could see people hanging onto their 210 strength gear for a while.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

LordNat posted:

So they are planing to just make us huge piles of meaningless HP? The entire reason I play Warrior is that I get to play like a DPS while still having the role of a Tank. If they strip away the useful damage dealing I don't see much point in even having the Tank role for half the fights. FF14 already makes Tanking nearly meaningless outside of Tank Busters. Most damage in a fight is avoided by staying out of the glowing floor zones.

You're more then meaningless HP. You have to hold aggro from the mob and rotate your cool downs properly, and position bosses properly. Tanks aren't the dps paradigm in WoW and it works out fine.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Holyshoot posted:

You're more then meaningless HP. You have to hold aggro from the mob and rotate your cool downs properly, and position bosses properly. Tanks aren't the dps paradigm in WoW and it works out fine.

None of these three things you listed are particularly difficult or engaging. If they strip away damage from tanks then I'll be switching roles to something where I can have an actual palpable impact on group success instead of being utterly at the mercy of mouthbreathers.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If 3.1.x/3.2 show a raid with a better difficulty curve and non-class specific gear I think it'll go a long way toward good will.

In the meantime, Thordan Ex is a fun fight to learn / farm.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
There's no way yoshida is looking at pug DPS and thinking it's a bad thing that tanks and healers can carry an effective amount of weight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
PLD isn't garbage, garbage tanks are garbage no matter what class they play. I still have more problems with WAR/DRK's that attempt to speed-run pull an instance without checking that their healer/party composition can handle it.

Fister Roboto posted:

We don't know anything about what we're doing, except that you won't be able to overmeld VIT onto STR accessories or vice versa anymore.
Assuming the numbers pass is still 3.2 (and not the simple TP reduction/Shield Swipe change that we got) they're probably going to muck about with the attack power formula for tanks (anything else is a band-aid over the actual problem) and take that into account with their encounter design going forward.
Either way we'll wait until they've done it and then told us what they've done.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Brannock posted:

None of these three things you listed are particularly difficult or engaging. If they strip away damage from tanks then I'll be switching roles to something where I can have an actual palpable impact on group success instead of being utterly at the mercy of mouthbreathers.

Pressing a dps rotation isn't difficult or that engaging either besides seeing BIG NUMBERS. And even if you do a ton of dps as a tank you're still at the mercy of mouthbreathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
From all of the horror stories I've heard about awful tanks, holding aggro, positioning bosses correctly, and using cooldowns absolutely is difficult for a lot of the people playing this game.

I'm a PLD with VIT gear though so I'm part of the problem, I guess.

• Locked thread