Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day: "DOVER, Del. — Former U.S. Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell said Friday that a Federal Election Commission lawsuit accusing her of improper campaign expenditures is a 'witch hunt' and a waste of taxpayer dollars."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

Sure after the senate confirms them. If the dems do not take the Senate it won't matter. Recess appointments would be great but I see the future 5-4 (or 5-3 if the justice can not serve of a lawsuit is filed against the appointment) voiding those.

It's a possibility they'd refuse to confirm a replacement for a conservative but that would effectively provoke a constitutional crisis that kept firing up again after every 4-4 decision. I doubt they'd refuse the replacement of a liberal if they couldn't find a good reason to disqualify them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day: "DOVER, Del. — Former U.S. Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell said Friday that a Federal Election Commission lawsuit accusing her of improper campaign expenditures is a 'witch hunt' and a waste of taxpayer dollars."

Ahahhahahhahahaha at least she's keeping a sense of humor about it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

:eyepop:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Really enjoying my governor kicking Mike Pence's teeth in right now:

quote:

Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy welcomed to his state Wednesday a family of Syrian refugees diverted from Indiana because of security concerns raised by Indiana Gov. Mike Pence.

"It is the right thing, the humane thing to do," Malloy told reporters. "Quite frankly, if you believe in God, it’s the morally correct thing to do."

quote:

Malloy told reporters Pence doesn't have legal authority to reject Syrian refugees.

"But this is the same guy who signed a homophobic bill in the spring surrounded by homophobes," Malloy said, referring to Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act that critics said would allow discrimination against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. "So I’m not surprised by anything the governor does."

Yeah, it's smug as hell but I don't care. These people deserve to be shamed up and down for this poo poo.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also that Bernie's political future has anything but defeat ahead.

Oh please. He'll still be left in place in the Senate so that liberals can point to his floor speeches and talk about how much better everything would have been had he been nominated.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

QuoProQuid posted:

Your congressman never saw your letter. The response was almost certainly a template assembled weeks in advance, using the Congressman's public statements, and sent out by an unpaid intern, who made sure that there were no obvious copy issues.

EDIT: Googling that quote brings up an op-ed by Brooker from September. They probably sent you a copy of it.

If you're looking for a personal response from your Representative or Senator, have you considered sending in a $2,000 check with your opinion?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

I see she's chosen to go the Citizen Smith route to responding to a FEC letter.

She's chosen...poorly.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

evilweasel posted:

It's a possibility they'd refuse to confirm a replacement for a conservative but that would effectively provoke a constitutional crisis that kept firing up again after every 4-4 decision. I doubt they'd refuse the replacement of a liberal if they couldn't find a good reason to disqualify them.

Why in this current climate would a constitutional crisis be something the right would avoid? Why not have stalemate after stalemate? The right does not want a working Federal government if it is not doing what they want.

I don't think it matters who the future judge is replacing. The nominee still has to have a simple majority from the Senate to be confirmed. If the Dems do not have 51 votes a Dem president will not be making any appointments that can get through. If they muck up the court they can just say they are stopping the "rogue justices" form being put on the court.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Fried Chicken posted:

1) that isn't strange at all since his focus is on international macroeconomics, not domestic distribution
2) that he assigns a different priority in tax and redistribution policy doesn't mean his evaluations on financial regulation policy (a completely different sphere) are wrong

1) see, that's a distinction only his school would make
2) no, it just means he assigns a different priority. It does however make assertions his positive appraisal of clinton's proposal relative to whatever Bernie has is meritorious and weighty because of ~name~ wrong-ish

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah this.

Hillary doesn't just want to beat republicans, she wants to crush republicans, see them driven from congress, and to hear the lamentations of their pundits.

Bernie wants to drive them from congress too :/

Mr Hootington posted:

Go one step further and just pull the R lever. At least things will get done for once!

Or vote Hillary and watch her not follow through on campaign promises and pass one piece of legislation that will be deemed amazing by neoliberals that fixes some small social problem while placing more of a financial burden on the poor.
This. When it comes to shifting the overton window and making progress, if the legislation gets done it doesn't matter the (rhetorical, and not accepted as a premise by me) fervor behind it. Bernie has at least the ability of clinton to work congress, he was an independent.

evilweasel posted:

Hillary, by being President and able to appoint Supreme Court justices, can roll back some of the incredibly damaging rulings they've made in the past decade as well as avoid the possibility of RBG or Breyer being replaced by a Republican.
so, more reasons to vote Bernie then, considering he is running as Democrat and if there are two good justices willing to roll back the same bad decisions, he can choose the one that is also particularly in favor of affirmative action, or well-engineered privacy law or something.

And neither good justice in this hypothetical is getting through if the Senate can mount serious opposition.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Hey all, big time newbie to politics here. Which of the parties is the anti-war one right now?

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Hey all, big time newbie to politics here. Which of the parties is the anti-war one right now?

green

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vote Rand Paul.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

They're fighting a war against science

MonsieurLongDong
Aug 6, 2015
This post is going to be long but contains important information about the refugee process.

Background: I'm an attorney that has done a few dozen asylum, refugee, and U-Visa cases on a pro bono basis..

The refugee screening process is multi-layered and is very difficult to get through. Most people languish in temporary camps for months to years while their story is evaluated and checked, often through other official governmental agencies.

First, a refugee does not get to choose what country they will be resettled to. If they already have family (legal) in a country, that makes it more likely that they will go to that country to be with that support structure. Other than that, it is random. So, you can not simply walk into a refugee camp, show a document, and say, I want to go to America. Instead, the UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner on Refugees) works with the local authorities to try to take care of basic needs. Once the person/family is registered to receive basic necessities, they can be processed for resettlement. Many refugees are not actually interested in permanent resettlement as they hope to return to their country and are hoping that the turmoil they fled will be resolved soon. In fact, most refugees in refugee events never resettle to a third country. Those that do want to resettle have to go through an extensive process to continually retain their temporary housing.

Resettlement in the U.S. is a long process and takes many steps. The Refugee Admissions Program is jointly administered by the Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM) in the Department of State, the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and offices within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) within DHS conducts refugee interviews and determines individual eligibility for refugee status in the United States. Each of these offices has to separately sign off on any refugee before they are admitted.

The United States evaluates refugees on a tiered system with three levels of priority.

First Priority are people who have suffered compelling persecution or for whom no other durable solution exists. These individuals are referred to the United States by UNHCR, or they are identified by the U.S. embassy or a non-governmental organization (NGO).

Second priority are groups of “special concern” to the United States. The Department of State determines these groups, with input from USCIS, UNHCR, and designated NGOs. At present, we prioritize certain persons from the former Soviet Union, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq, Iran, Burma, and Bhutan.

Third priority are relatives of refugees (parents, spouses, and unmarried children under 21) who are already settled in the United States may be admitted as refugees. The U.S.-based relative must file an Affidavit of Relationship (AOR) and must be processed by DHS.

Before being allowed to come to the United States, each refugee must undergo an extensive interviewing, screening, and security clearance process conducted by Regional Refugee Coordinators and overseas Resettlement Support Centers (RSCs). Individuals generally must not already be firmly resettled (a legal term of art that would be a separate article). Just because one falls into the three priorities above does not guarantee admission to the United States.

The Immigration laws require that the individuals prove that they have a “well-founded fear,” (another legal term which would be a book.) This fear must be proved regardless of the person’s country, circumstance, or classification in a priority category. There are multiple interviews and people are challenged on discrepancies. I had a client who was not telling the truth on her age (she wanted to be younger) and the agency challenged her on it and ultimately denied her admission even though there was no legal significance to the lie. Refugees are not simply admitted because they have a well founded fear. They still must show that they are not subject to exclusion under Section 212(a) of the INA. These grounds include serious health matters, moral or criminal matters, as well as security issues. In addition, they can be excluded for such things as polygamy, misrepresentation of facts on visa applications, smuggling, or previous deportations. Under some circumstances, the person may be eligible to have the ground waived but that adds time to the process. I have seen reports that potential refugees aren't fingerprinted or otherwise verified. This is comically misinformed. Some applicants are subjected to DNA swab screenings and blood tests (particularly if they are from Western Africa and run the risk of carrying communicable disease). I've never had an applicant make it through without some kind of fingerprint or biometric verification.

After all of this, a refugee can be conditionally accepted for resettlement. Then, the RSC sends a request for assurance of placement to the United States, and the Refugee Processing Center (RPC) works with private voluntary agencies (VOLAG) to determine where the refugee will live. If the refugee does have family in the U.S., efforts will be made to resettle close to that family.

Every person accepted as a refugee for planned admission to the United States is conditional upon passing a medical examination and passing all security checks. Frankly, there is more screening of refugees than ever happens to get on an airplane. Of course, yes, no system can be 100% foolproof. But if that is your standard, then you better shut down the entire airline industry, close the borders, and stop all international commerce and shipping. Every one of those has been the source of entry of people and are much easier ways to gain access to the U.S. Only upon passing all of these checks (which involve basically every agency of the government involved in terrorist identification) can the person actually be approved to travel.

Before departing, refugees sign a promissory note to repay the United States for their travel costs. This travel loan is an interest-free loan that refugees begin to pay back six months after arriving in the country.

Once the VOLAG is notified of the travel plans, it must arrange for the reception of refugees at the airport and transportation to their housing at their final destination.
This process from start to finish averages 18 to 24 months, but I have seen it take years.

The reality is that about half of the refugees are children, another quarter are elderly. Almost all of the adults are either moms or couples coming with children. Each year the President, in consultation with Congress, determines the numerical ceiling for refugee admissions. For Fiscal Year (FY) 2016, the proposed ceiling is 85,000. We have been averaging about 70,000 a year for the last number of years. (Source: Refugee Processing Center)

Over one-third of all refugee arrivals (35.1 percent, or 24,579) in FY 2015 came from the Near East/South Asia—a region that includes Iraq, Iran, Bhutan, and Afghanistan.
Another third of all refugee arrivals (32.1 percent, or 22,472) in FY 2015 came from Africa.
Over a quarter of all refugee arrivals (26.4 percent, or 18,469) in FY 2015 came from East Asia — a region that includes China, Vietnam, and Indonesia. (Source: Refugee Processing Center)

Finally, the process in Europe is different. I would be much more concerned that terrorists are infiltrating the European system because they are not nearly so extensive and thorough in their process.

TL;DR: Everyone firing off "refugees are scary" flares don't know their hand from their rear end.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that an attorney named "Scott Hicks" has publicly shared this same block of text originally found in a CLE packet produced by Bay Area Legal Aid. Original credit should go to the producers of this packet for most verbiage and all information contained therein.

MonsieurLongDong fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 20, 2015

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What if Obama goes on TV and proposes that instead of the GOP solution, he wants to make a refugee admission process that takes 18-24 months, is incredibly stringent, goes through multiple agencies, and requires coordination with the UN. Give an example of how exacting his new procedure will be - a woman who lies about her age to appear younger is out. Emphasize that his new proposal will be significantly stricter than anything going on in Europe.

Then when the Republicans say "that's what we already have!" all non-true-believers will go "oh! well, that's good!" and the issue is done.

Edit: MonsieurLongDong A friend of mine just shared this almost word for word on facebook. Did you make this as a post at exactly 8:54am yesterday?

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 20, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

MonsieurLongDong posted:

Refugee Process

Hey this was really interesting to read, thanks for the info. I've actually been kind of interested in how refugees sort of life their lives while here, or wherever they settle. Do you keep in contact with the people you help as a matter of course once they are resettled, or is that not part your job? Since they need to repay travel costs are they assisted in getting jobs or anything? What are they realistically capable of 'doing' as a refugee, is sort of what I want to know. Especially if they don't know any English or anything, are they in communities with other refugees who do speak their language? Sorry if these questions are kind of awkward, I'm just curious.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

MonsieurLongDong posted:

refugee lawyer

It would at least help if you would cite the source for this post.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Why do you ask, and how do you define 'anti-war'?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

On Terra Firma posted:

It would at least help if you would cite the source for this post.

quote:

Background: I'm an attorney that has done a few dozen asylum, refugee, and U-Visa cases on a pro bono basis..

It would help more if you read the post.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

That depends. Are you pro-some tangible alternative?

I'm not trying to be snarky, or suggest that there aren't tangible alternatives or anything like that.

It's just that the vast number of people in my orbit who've been riding the "just...no wars, man" train lately have nothing on offer beyond simply pretending that the Middle East doesn't exist and neither do our current politics.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

MonsieurLongDong posted:

Finally, the process in Europe is different. I would be much more concerned that terrorists are infiltrating the European system because they are not nearly so extensive and thorough in their process.

UNHCR referred refugees are usually interviewed by security services or similar intelligence people before admission but the system is not anywhere near as multilayered and thorough as the American one. Probably because there's just not enough money or intelligence resources to do it in such a way.

Asylum seekers are a whole different matter since they show up in person first and then have to be processed in the recipient country (this also skews the demographics because able-bodied men are best equipped to make the trip, and then hope for family reunification to bring the spouses and children over). The US doesn't quite have this issue since there's a thousand miles of ocean you'd need to cross compared to crossing over from Turkey or over the Med. For an assailant it's pointless to try to sneak your way in through the UNHCR resettlement process when you can be one of hundreds of thousands instead. Asylum seekers are fingerprinted, given an interview and then placed in centres to wait for a decision, and they're not exactly imprisoned so they can just wander off any time they wish. In Finland they are given money to go buy groceries to cook their own food with.

As the astute reader may have guessed, fretting about terrorists using the UNHCR route to get into the US - or any country really - is histrionic.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hellblazer187 posted:

MonsieurLongDong A friend of mine just shared this almost word for word on facebook. Did you make this as a post at exactly 8:54am yesterday?

Yeah I'm seeing it go around too. That would be 0654 PST.

Either way, it looks like good information and is intended to be shared:

https://www.facebook.com/BryanScottHicks/posts/1187326084630475?fref=nf&pnref=story

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 20, 2015

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Raerlynn posted:

Qualifications aren't sources

But I'm pretty sure this is the original source, or at least it has 168,000 shares and was posted yesterday morning

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
That would be really sad and weird if that was a cut and paste but good info overall. I used to coordinate the employment program for a refugee resettlement agency in one of the bigger American cities, and I'd be happy to answer any questions people may have.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Raerlynn posted:

It's copied and pasted from a post on facebook.

edit: beaten, but gently caress you.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

MothraAttack posted:

That would be really sad and weird if that was a cut and paste but good info overall. I used to coordinate the employment program for a refugee resettlement agency in one of the bigger American cities, and I'd be happy to answer any questions people may have.

There's no reason Mr. Long Dong and Mr. Hicks can't be one in the same.

MonsieurLongDong
Aug 6, 2015

Hellblazer187 posted:

Edit: MonsieurLongDong A friend of mine just shared this almost word for word on facebook. Did you make this as a post at exactly 8:54am yesterday?

No. I suspect for some of this we cribbed from the same handbook published by a pro bono organization that does CLE classes. The middle paragraphs should be the same.

If you're talking about a fellow attorney that's in the Ohio area, then I know who you're talking about. The community is small.

Some of the stories here are different and I've added some other stuff for clarification. Some of these processes are absent in the U-Visa/T-Visa process because those are functional refugees that are already located in the states for some reason. I edited to clarify some of those differences.

I've edited the initial post above to give credit to the primary source at the BAULA service who produced the CLE packet.

MonsieurLongDong fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 20, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MothraAttack posted:

If you don't mind me asking, this wasn't in Michigan by chance, was it? I know a girl who recently started refugee resettlement work up there.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you don't mind me asking, this wasn't in Michigan by chance, was it? I know a girl who recently started refugee resettlement work up there.

Nah, Texas.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Really enjoying my governor kicking Mike Pence's teeth in right now:

Yeah, it's smug as hell but I don't care. These people deserve to be shamed up and down for this poo poo.

As a Hoosier, we're quite happy to see Pence get a good kicking, at least some of us

They're about to pass an even worse and more comprehensive bill too BTW. Burn this state to the ground except Bloomington

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zionist shitrag The New Republic has a story :qq:-ing about people comparing Syrian refugees to 30s-era Jewish refugees

https://newrepublic.com/article/124298/problem-comparing-syrian-jewish-refugees

quote:

The heated anti-immigrant talk from many European and American politicians in the aftermath of the Paris attacks has led those of us who find that response abhorrent to seek out strategies of our own. Things like, for example, reminding that the attackers were European. But the pro-refugee argument that seems to have stuck is the Holocaust analogy, which goes as follows: On the eve of the Holocaust, Americans held unfavorable opinions about Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany and elsewhere in Europe, which, as the punditry goes, is like Republican rhetoric on immigration.
Signal

Consider the assumption that lies at the heart of the comparison: No one today would think to advocate for turning away Jews, right? To which I feel compelled to ask: Are we so sure?
Phoebe Maltz Bovy

On a certain level I get it. As a Jew, I can’t see news about the current refugee crisis without thinking about the Jews who were turned away from the United States when fleeing Nazi Germany. Not all Jews, of course, have had this reaction, but I’m hardly alone. It’s not a perfect analogy—are they ever?—but the essential point holds: People fleeing oppression should not be conflated with their oppressors, and are actually uniquely helpless once that sort of rhetoric is underway. But as I watched the analogy go viral (see also Ishaan Tharoor’s recent follow-up) in the mainstream press, I began to feel that famous sense of Jewish unease. The current Syrian refugee crisis—and the largely xenophobic response—is really not about Jews. The analogy puts Jews at the center of the symbolic action, which is really the last place we need to be. Anti-Semitism is, at its core, the belief that everything bad on this planet (and perhaps on others as well) happens because of Jewish misdeeds. It’s not so much about straightforwardly hating Jews as it is about wildly overestimating Jews’ influence. As such, anti-Semitism rests on a broader, if not necessarily Jew-hating, conviction, namely that Jews are simply central.

As is quite clear at this point, ISIS and other likeminded extremist groups already use Jews as a symbol of the West. Or, to put this in more urgent, less abstract terms: A Jewish teacher was stabbed in France a few days ago, reportedly by someone in an Islamic State shirt. Swedish Jews are under threat as well. From the extremist view of things, this is totally about Jews—symbolic Jews, yes, but also the real ones who find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The use of Jews—or, rather, The Jews—to make points that are at most tangentially related to Jews has a long tradition in France, with Jews representing the secular Republic to its friends and foes alike. And as the refugee analogy suggests, Jewish-analogizing is hardly limited to reactionaries, or to xenophobic causes. The progressive left—and by this I mean the Jew-friendly branch of it—analogizes as well. But I always hesitate when I see my favorite thinkers on civil-rights issues not specifically related to Jews (Dan Savage on gay rights, Ta-Nehisi Coates on African American rights) using Jews to make their points, whether in a casual, no-one-would-say-this-about-the-Jews way, or with a more sophisticated historical analogy. And it’s not—let me make this abundantly clear—that Jewish-analogizing is anti-Semitic. It’s not! Often enough, a particular analogy will perfectly well serve some greater—urgent, even—point. The problem is that in the aggregate, this repeated centering of Jews, these repeated rhetorical reminders of Jews, no matter what the subject at hand, have a way of further installing Jews in the position of eternal symbol. And it’s not so great at the symbolic center. Being there means attracting the fury not just of those who straightforwardly hate Jews, but also that of anyone with any opinion on just about any contentious issue. Which is a lot to bear.

While the European-Jews-and-Syrian-refugees analogy itself is sound, there is something that doesn’t sit right about the reasons it keeps getting made outside a Jewish-specific context. Consider the assumption that lies at the heart of the comparison: No one today would think to advocate for turning away Jews, right? To which I feel compelled to ask: Are we so sure? Nodding along to the analogy means, in a sense, agreeing that anti-Semitism is over, and that it’s simply been replaced by anti-Muslim bigotry. Which, no—there’s plenty of bigotry to go around! While it’s true that the political right these days in the U.S., embraces a certain enemy-of-my-enemy philo-Semitism (see especially Mike Huckabee), anti-Semitism has hardly disappeared. It’s not so much Jews as Jewish Holocaust victims who are sacrosanct. The line of progressive argument—whether on Syrian refugees or other topics—that’s about insisting that no one would ever dare say whatever it is about Jews has a way of missing the fact that people actually do dare say all kinds of things about Jews, all the time.

So: Is the point that Syrian refugees would, in a couple generations, become undifferentiated white people, and perhaps create a clever sitcom or two? Or is it that “Nazis are bad” is a truth that most people (not just Jews!) can get behind? Or maybe the analogy is about saying that today’s xenophobes are also Judeophiles, which, while true in some partial, tenuous sense (see, again, Huckabee), ignores that thing, not unheard-of in the West, where white Christian sorts hate all minorities. As for whether the analogy has the potential to change the mind of anyone who wouldn’t have spontaneously come up with this connection… there I have my doubts.

There are very few of us Jews in the world. We neither caused the world’s problems nor hold the answers. So if we’re not central to whichever issue of the day—and typically, we’re not—maybe consider leaving us, as an entity, out of it.

i'm the whining about Jews being brought into everything, right after a few paragraphs of "but what about US??????"

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 20, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Zionist shitrag The New Republic has a story :qq:-ing about people comparing Syrian refugees to 30s-era Jewish refugees

https://newrepublic.com/article/124298/problem-comparing-syrian-jewish-refugees

Jews in Europe were not responsible for the rise of Hitler; anti-semites were.

MonsieurLongDong
Aug 6, 2015

DoctorKill posted:

Do you keep in contact with the people you help as a matter of course once they are resettled, or is that not part your job?

Keep in mind this is pro bono so it's not really "part of my job."

Usually the answer here is no. You rarely meet with the proposed applicant face-to-face because there are substantial language barriers. This is particularly true in trafficking cases where you're generally dealing with victims that have low education levels. Attorneys doing the work have contacts with NGOs that screen potential applicants and do the factual legwork and then put all that information into a packet for the attorney to work from. Those that I have met tended to be children of the original applicant and were applying for additional immigration status. Those children spoke English and could provide real-time go-between information for the applicant and speed the process up. I have one or two of those that occasionally e-mail me with pictures to let me know how they are doing.

quote:

Since they need to repay travel costs are they assisted in getting jobs or anything?

What are they realistically capable of 'doing' as a refugee, is sort of what I want to know. Especially if they don't know any English or anything, are they in communities with other refugees who do speak their language? Sorry if these questions are kind of awkward, I'm just curious.

To be honest, few of these loans are ever truly paid back in full. Most refugees end up in communities that are heavily foreign-cultured where they have substantial support networks and local outreach organizations dedicated to helping them find employment and housing.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you're looking for a personal response from your Representative or Senator, have you considered sending in a $2,000 check with your opinion?

Actually I would receive fairly personal responses from Representative Rush Holt's office - but he lost to Booker in the primary.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I have regularly received real correspondence, but it helps that my family name is "known" in political circles.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

icantfindaname posted:

Zionist shitrag The New Republic

Not since Chris Hughes bought it from Marty "gently caress arabs" Peretz

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Jews in Europe were not responsible for the rise of Hitler; anti-semites were.

He's... not... wrong?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Not since Chris Hughes bought it from Marty "gently caress arabs" Peretz

i know, i just thought it was funny. maybe a relapse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So now you can get pulled off flights for speaking Arabic in the terminal and carrying a box of baklava because we live in 1936 Germany.

• Locked thread