Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I keep looking at this picture and I keep finding more evidence of inbreeding.

It just keeps on giving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kastein posted:

I keep looking at this picture and I keep finding more evidence of inbreeding.

It just keeps on giving.

Do they have demolition derbys for trucks?

My dad's got a 98 Ram I'd very much consider doing this to when it's done rusting to pieces.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Do they have demolition derbys for trucks?

My dad's got a 98 Ram I'd very much consider doing this to when it's done rusting to pieces.

If the body is rusted. there ain't no frame left.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

xzzy posted:

The terrible car stuff is the techs consenting to servicing a vehicle with a pet in it, right?

Doesn't really bother me I love when customers bring their dogs in with em. I got tennis balls and all sorts of fun dog stuff.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Powershift posted:

If the body is rusted. there ain't no frame left.

eh the frame is still fine, and he lives in Texas now so I don't think it'll get much worse.

The doors have rusted off twice though and they're starting to go again. Rust is literally cancer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

eh the frame is still fine, and he lives in Texas now so I don't think it'll get much worse.

The doors have rusted off twice though and they're starting to go again. Rust is literally cancer.

I hate rust so god drat much. Imagine what a wonderful world it would be without rust.

I was bitching about the amount of salt they laid down already this year in the alberta thread.These pics are from a few years back, keep in mind the center of the windshield is 9 feet off the road. Definitely terrible car stuff.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Powershift posted:

I hate rust so god drat much. Imagine what a wonderful world it would be without rust.

Out of curiosity, as someone who doesn't get exposed to that level of salt on the roads, what do you do when that happens? Just leave it on, hose it off with just water until you get a chance for a proper wash, or go through a proper wash asap? Is just spraying it with a hose a bad idea because then you've just got wet salt all over? Is the major concern just the undercarriage?

Edit: that's more a question for anyone, not specifically those with big rigs.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

davebo posted:

I read that as "brine rigs."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

davebo posted:

Out of curiosity, as someone who doesn't get exposed to that level of salt on the roads, what do you do when that happens? Just leave it on, hose it off with just water until you get a chance for a proper wash, or go through a proper wash asap? Is just spraying it with a hose a bad idea because then you've just got wet salt all over? Is the major concern just the undercarriage?

Wash your car around once a week in the winter. find a good automatic with an undercarriage sprayer. With the truck, stop by the shop and hit the sweet spots with the pressure washer once in a while. lights and windows.

It's a major problem with rust. most mid 90s-current mazdas rust the gently caress out, entirely dissapear in 10 years around here. Mazda has a 7 year corossion warranty, but only covers preforation, as in they won't do gently caress all until there's a hole you can stick your finger through.

Keep in mind, this car is around 7 years old, if you have a sensitive stomach, look away now.

Most of them start dissapearing starting at the badge alignment holes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Powershift posted:

if you have a sensitive stomach, look away now.

:stonk:

Good God.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Salting roads is automotive genocide.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So, it's a good thing my sis got rid of her ~5 year old Mazda6? (that was starting to get rust on the bottoms of the doors)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

No joke I live in roughly the same neck of the woods as Powershift and I've seen a two year old Mazda 3 just starting to bubble here.

The salt is brutal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it depends on manufacturer and locale. My wife's driving a 2007 Toyota that's lived through 8 Chicago winters and is showing no signs of rust. First sign of snowflakes they're salting the gently caress out of the roads too. But we really only get 5-10 snows a year so there's going to be less salt than places that get constantly buried.

I do see rusty cars around here though.. I want to say Dodge and Mazda are the worst but they're far from the only vehicles that rust out. Old trucks tend to do really badly.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Powershift posted:

I was bitching about the amount of salt they laid down already this year in the alberta thread.These pics are from a few years back, keep in mind the center of the windshield is 9 feet off the road. Definitely terrible car stuff.

:nws: this sick filth

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Code Jockey posted:

:nws: this sick filth

Seriously. I had the bed off of my 55-year-old truck recently (because it got run into), and the frame rails still had factory black paint on them. What you guys do to your cars is criminal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Raluek posted:

Seriously. I had the bed off of my 55-year-old truck recently (because it got run into), and the frame rails still had factory black paint on them. What your regional government does guys do to your cars is criminal.
fixed

None of us asked for this, it's just the way of things because someone somewhere decided a better plan would be to protect every idiot that can't drive appropriate for the conditions.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

fixed

None of us asked for this, it's just the way of things because someone somewhere decided a better plan would be to protect every idiot that can't drive appropriate for the conditions.

"we can require winter tires in the winter, and cost everybody $1000 in tires over the life of their car, or salt the roads to death to protect dumb people from themselves until their frame rots in half and they keep driving it"

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Thank god they only use mag-chloride and sand out here in CO. Although mag-chloride does wonderous things to aluminum wheels.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Powershift posted:

"we can require winter tires in the winter, and cost everybody $1000 in tires over the life of their car, or salt the roads to death to protect dumb people from themselves until their frame rots in half and they keep driving it"

Some places in Ontario do both!

And the salt levels are exactly the same as North East Ontario - its loving criminal.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

davebo posted:

You're basically hosed if you want to wash it yourself unless you have a garage with a drain in the floor, preferably a heated one. If you try to wash it outside, you get a black ice puddle in your driveway or alley, then your car doesn't have enough time to shed off the excess water before it freezes your doors or locks shut. Then the water in the hose freezes, of course this is all assuming your outdoor faucet isn't frozen, and it's always best to shut the valves to those anyway. Buy a winter car and drive it until it turns to dust.

Powershift posted:

Wash your car around once a week in the winter. find a good automatic with an undercarriage sprayer. With the truck, stop by the shop and hit the sweet spots with the pressure washer once in a while. lights and windows.

This is what I do, but I do wonder if that underspray water is fresh. Still, probably better than nothing.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Thank god they only use mag-chloride and sand out here in CO. Although mag-chloride does wonderous things to aluminum wheels.

But my new F-150 is rustproof ALUMINUM !

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

otaku69 posted:

But my new F-150 is rustproof ALUMINUM !

I want to strip and polish one so bad. I can't wait until they're $5k in a couple years.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I couldn't live where you guys live. I just got driving down the coast in san diego with the top down in my convertible. In a t shirt.

Winter means keeping the top up.

Sometimes.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

eyebeem posted:

I couldn't live where you guys live. I just got driving down the coast in san diego with the top down in my convertible. In a t shirt.

Winter means keeping the top up.

Sometimes.

I rode to Julian and got a bit chilly at one point when the road was shady around lake henshaw.

That being said, the past two weeks have been loving frigid. Well, comparatively. I commute on a motorcycle 365 days a year so I really can't bitch much.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

or people can just learn how to drive. Seriously was tailgating a truck going half the speed limit into work because there was half an inch of snow of the shoulder. Even if you stud the ever loving poo poo out of tires its not going to solve a confidence problem. People have to come to terms with the idea that having a bit of snow on the road is fine.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

I rode to Julian and got a bit chilly at one point when the road was shady around lake henshaw.

That being said, the past two weeks have been loving frigid. Well, comparatively. I commute on a motorcycle 365 days a year so I really can't bitch much.

See, I knew there'd be a downside! At least in the frozen north they give us vacation!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Linedance posted:

See, I knew there'd be a downside! At least in the frozen north they give us vacation!

Okay, I commute 335 and joy ride for at least twenty of the others.

rear end.

:v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

veedubfreak posted:

In northern Arizona they just use crushed ash-rock.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

davebo posted:

Phosphoric acid (look for "milkstone remover" for the cheapest stuff) and the strongest thickest paint you can find. I wouldn't rust any manufacturer's factory paint at all.

If it doesn't get warm enough for a wash you're hosed so washing really isn't a solution unless you have megabux for a heated garage or something.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

1500quidporsche posted:

or people can just learn how to drive. Seriously was tailgating a truck going half the speed limit into work because there was half an inch of snow of the shoulder. Even if you stud the ever loving poo poo out of tires its not going to solve a confidence problem. People have to come to terms with the idea that having a bit of snow on the road is fine.

Replace truck doing half the speed limit with every third car doing half the speed limit in the left lane with their hazard lights on because of a light rain, then this also applies to south Florida.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, it has actually been a bit cold at night lately. Like, 45ish. BRRRR.

I spend a fortune to live here, but I love not dealing with real winter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powershift posted:

I think I actually had less salt buildup after I came back from riding on the literal salt flats. God almighty.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Gorson posted:

You're basically hosed if you want to wash it yourself unless you have a garage with a drain in the floor, preferably a heated one. If you try to wash it outside, you get a black ice puddle in your driveway or alley, then your car doesn't have enough time to shed off the excess water before it freezes your doors or locks shut. Then the water in the hose freezes, of course this is all assuming your outdoor faucet isn't frozen, and it's always best to shut the valves to those anyway. Buy a winter car and drive it until it turns to dust.

Well my heart goes out to all you who have to deal with that. My 2002 Monte Carlo I had over 10 years and never once saw an automated car wash. I'd only wash it in my driveway so it'd get nothing between late fall and spring. By the time I got rid of it the undercarriage was a little worn but the paint was still great. Can't imagine paint bubbling so early.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

davebo posted:

Well my heart goes out to all you who have to deal with that. My 2002 Monte Carlo I had over 10 years and never once saw an automated car wash. I'd only wash it in my driveway so it'd get nothing between late fall and spring. By the time I got rid of it the undercarriage was a little worn but the paint was still great. Can't imagine paint bubbling so early.

Chevy is pretty good at rustproofing. Your Monte would probably be in pretty good shape if it lived here, even with all the salt.

The Japanese are still absolutely terrible at understanding concepts like "complex folds of metal trap moisture," "don't put huge rubber strips with no drainage against body metal directly in the way of salt spray," and "rockers that are designed to trap moisture will rot out really loving quickly," even as they've approached complex subjects such as "don't vent moisture from the rear windows directly into the inside of the loving quarter panels" and "don't drill into galvanized and e-dipped metal with pot metal tek screws to install model badges."

One benefit is that you can spot accident repairs from a mile away because the joins will start to rust up and peel unless the bodyshop was either exceptionally talented or used expensive panel adhesive.

Ford is 50-50. It's fun to watch the power running boards on a Lincoln Navigator try to work after their first winter.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 21, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Gorson posted:

This is what I do, but I do wonder if that underspray water is fresh. Still, probably better than nothing.

Most car washes do at least some form of water recycling, but they're supposed to filter the hell out of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

power running boards

I had no idea this was a thing. I looked it up and :psyduck:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

I had no idea this was a thing. I looked it up and :psyduck:

Fill your boots. Not only does the motor and linkage rust, but so does the board itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D2HAmzmHxo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just...it's a loving board. Its function could be served with a 2x4 mounted on a couple of chunks of angle iron. Why does it need to be powered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Which running board is best running board?

My running board is best seized linkage