Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

He left it quite ambiguous. He said that I could be tested back to back or never my entire stint there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
A friend mine used to work in HR, according to him the trend lately has been away from caring about people testing positive for marijuana, they're worried about "hard" drugs like cocaine/heroin/meth etc.

This is just anecdotal evidence from a guy who dabbled in HR matters so YMMV but with legalization becoming a reality in the next 5-10 years a lot of employers just don't give a gently caress anymore about weed.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My employer theoretically does random tests but in 8 years I've never been called.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

In 15 years, my stepdad has only been called once, and it was after an injury at work. They claim the right to perform random drug tests. I managed to track down their drug testing policy; they test the entire store, or the management and pharmacy staff. :stare: Stores are supposedly picked at random.

My former employer never said anything about drug tests, ever, until I had an injury at work. My GM tried to talk me out of filing a claim by saying "you know they're going to drug test you, and knowing you you'll probably fail" (I reminded him that he was the one that smoked weed all day every day, not me.. and I passed the test fine).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 20, 2015

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

some texas redneck posted:

In 15 years, my stepdad has only been called once, and it was after an injury at work. They claim the right to perform random drug tests.

This here in a lot of cases. They don't care until something goes wrong, then your "drug problem" caused it, and they "sadly" let you go.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

In 15 years, my stepdad has only been called once, and it was after an injury at work. They claim the right to perform random drug tests. I managed to track down their drug testing policy; they test the entire store, or the management and pharmacy staff. :stare: Stores are supposedly picked at random.

My former employer never said anything about drug tests, ever, until I had an injury at work. My GM tried to talk me out of filing a claim by saying "you know they're going to drug test you, and knowing you you'll probably fail" (I reminded him that he was the one that smoked weed all day every day, not me.. and I passed the test fine).

When I worked at the Walgreens pharmacy in thhe rougher side of town it was normal to get Tested a few times a year

Didn't help that at the time I had ½" plugs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like how all of you guys are describing "random" drug testing that is actually the exact opposite of random. How can testing you specifically, right after an accident, possibly be spun as "random"?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

We're supposed to read over health evidence questionnaires at work for new clients which I rarely do but when I do you get some pretty shocking admissions like doing acid on a weekly basis or the guy and his wife who had HIV. The irony is these questionnaires are completely voluntary for getting higher life coverage but these people end up losing their coverage all together by sending it in. The best thing you can do if you're a drug user is avoid filling those things out at all costs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geoj posted:

A friend mine used to work in HR, according to him the trend lately has been away from caring about people testing positive for marijuana, they're worried about "hard" drugs like cocaine/heroin/meth etc.

This is just anecdotal evidence from a guy who dabbled in HR matters so YMMV but with legalization becoming a reality in the next 5-10 years a lot of employers just don't give a gently caress anymore about weed.

It's still a great excuse to deny workman's comp if you have an accident though. Yay for weed staying in your system longer than any other drug, you could have done a ton of blow the week before and you're in the clear!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

leica posted:

It's still a great excuse to deny workman's comp if you have an accident though. Yay for weed staying in your system longer than any other drug, you could have done a ton of blow the week before and you're in the clear!

This is absolutely the problem especially since companies self insuring disability benefits has become more popular. It's never an issue until the company actually has to pay out then every tiny little thing you do becomes an issue.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

the spyder posted:

Mechanic injuries: What's your most memorable?

Mines a draw between breaking off a Olfa knife blade in my thumb or the 1" gash in my right palm from a heat shield.

I love days off due to car injuries. drat it. My right palm hurts like hell.

From many pages back but I just finished slapping this together and can easily say "my mind."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Function over form, thank you very much. I need a numpad, I don't want a USB numpad, and your hatred of asymmetry is confusing.

This isn't about aesthetics. Since we're having this ridiculous conversation in AI, let me put this in more understandable words: this is like having your steering wheel and pedals 10" off to the right to fit in a cupholder :iiaca:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

iwentdoodie posted:

See you there, hopefully. I'm hearing prices starting at 80+, though.

The show sold out in a literal second. I had 3 friends on ticketmaster also trying for tickets and we all got the "No tickets available" the second we could access the seating chart. Now they are on StubHub for up to $5,000. What a hosed system.

Nine Inch Nails tickets at least require a state issued identification to pick up their tickets and the buyer's name is printed right on the front of the ticket. I'm sure people have found ways around that, but at least it's like 5% harder to scalp.

Now I'm going to wait til late December or early January when the tickets prices fall.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Surely demand/prices will go up closer to showtime?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

literally a fish posted:

Um, yes they do. Almost every single model of iMac does. "Memory is not user-removable on iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), and iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) computers", that's it, and they still have slots you just have to disassemble the unit to access them, with the exception of the VERY LATEST 21" model ("• Memory in iMac (21-inch, Late 2015) and iMac (Retina 4K, 21-inch, Late 2015) is not upgradeable.") which is understandable since chances are nobody's ever upgrading the RAM in a 21".

Inability to access the HDD is a bit of a bitch though.

And yes, you can swap the SSD out on the laptops with nothing but a pentalobe screwdriver (and a torx for the actual SSD retaining screw). No RAM upgrades, but while that pisses off us power users for 99% of users it doesn't make a lick of difference.

(apple still do hella stupid poo poo though, like how the new mac pro is inferior to the old one in quite a few ways)

Hmmm. I guess my fellow tech was referring to just the fact of having to disassemble the things to get to anything, which is a bitch. It's also possible I wasn't listening closely enough.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

This isn't about aesthetics. Since we're having this ridiculous conversation in AI, let me put this in more understandable words: this is like having your steering wheel and pedals 10" off to the right to fit in a cupholder :iiaca:

....no, its not like that at all. You're being really nitpicky over something that has zero to do with form and everything to do with the layout of the keyboard and where your hands are supposed to be positioned.

Nobody is moving your loving steering wheel over for a cup holder because pressing the cup holder does not result in suddenly causing an unwanted input. Also: gently caress off with talking down to people like that. You are pushing your personal design choices as industry standards and demanding everyone accept only YOUR choices as valid.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 20, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
people are getting super mad about touchpad positioning holy poo poo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

people are getting super mad about touchpad positioning holy poo poo

I don't give a gently caress, but I hate being told that I'm outright wrong for saying I like my mouse that way. I thought he was joking at first.

Nope :psyduck: He really does feel that strong about the position of a loving touchpad.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

positioning is whatever but if you don't put in an option to TURN IT OFF (or, heaven forbid, DO SO AUTOMATICALLY WHEN THERE'S A MOUSE PLUGGED IN) you are literally Adoseph Stalitlersatan

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

positioning is whatever but if you don't put in an option to TURN IT OFF (or, heaven forbid, DO SO AUTOMATICALLY WHEN THERE'S A MOUSE PLUGGED IN) you are literally Adoseph Stalitlersatan

HP had a disable touchpad button forever, I don't know if they still do.

Oh, mine does too apparently? Yup, Fn+F5. But it turns off the trackpoint too :smith:

The touchpad is off-center on a full keyboard + numpad laptop because it minimizes the distance you have to move to get to the touchpad while ensuring that, if you are touch typing, you do not inadvertently tap the mouse. You always use a full keyboard off center away from the num pad, so having the mouse nearest to where your thumbs rest makes perfect sense.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 20, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I know a lot of HP touchpads (at least on their professional line of laptops) have a LED in the top/left corner that disables the pad & illuminates when double-tapped.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BoostCreep posted:

The show sold out in a literal second. I had 3 friends on ticketmaster also trying for tickets and we all got the "No tickets available" the second we could access the seating chart. Now they are on StubHub for up to $5,000. What a hosed system.

Nine Inch Nails tickets at least require a state issued identification to pick up their tickets and the buyer's name is printed right on the front of the ticket. I'm sure people have found ways around that, but at least it's like 5% harder to scalp.

Now I'm going to wait til late December or early January when the tickets prices fall.

Sold out instantly here too, though they're only $1,000 at the high end on StubHub. :stare: The cheapest seats are $255... in the far back corner.

Tusen Takk posted:

When I worked at the Walgreens pharmacy in thhe rougher side of town it was normal to get Tested a few times a year

Didn't help that at the time I had ½" plugs

You worked in the pharmacy though, you can expect regular testing back there.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I should be able to use a 4-port USB hub to hardwire to my fuse box so I can charge 3 devices at full charging speed all at once right?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sold out instantly here too, though they're only $1,000 at the high end on StubHub. :stare: The cheapest seats are $255... in the far back corner.

You worked in the pharmacy though, you can expect regular testing back there.

When i transferred to the fancy side of town I never got drug tested, it was really nice :3:

Also one day the world will accept that Apple's trackpad is the one true touchpad, with multitouch

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Enourmo posted:

Surely demand/prices will go up closer to showtime?

People list them on StubHub for stupid high prices within seconds of buying the tickets on Ticketmaster. Some people buy the high price tickets, but a lot of them are so expensive, like right now the upper deck nose bleed seats are $300 for San Diego, that people just won't buy them. So as the event gets closer, the jerkshits that bought them to scalp get worried that they won't sell and they start reducing their prices. Sometimes you can even get tickets for less than the original price the day before an event since the people who bought them just want to recoup their costs. That's rare though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I should be able to use a 4-port USB hub to hardwire to my fuse box so I can charge 3 devices at full charging speed all at once right?

If you're powering the hub off of a separate USB charger, no - generally this will result in the attached devices slow charging at "USB" speed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

No. The devices will draw a maximum of 500mA when they sense they're not connected to a charger. Plus you'd be jamming 12V into them if you wire a USB hub into a car fuse box, when USB is designed for 5V - so you'd fry the devices instantly.

You want something like this for at home, or this one for the car. An added bonus is those chargers can detect devices capable of rapid charging, and will ramp up amperage and voltage accordingly. My car charger is able to bring my phone from 10% to 85% in about 30 minutes using the same technology.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 20, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seconding this product suggestion, everything I have ever bought from Anker has been absolute top quality. They're my go-to brand for USB cables, hubs, chargers and replacement batteries.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
My girlfriend, who works at a vet's office owned and staffed by a husband-and-wife DVM pair, IM'd me this morning that "the Doc" (husband half) had his desktop poo poo out overnight. The desktop that apparently serves two purposes, as the Doc's workstation and also as the server that runs all the business' applications - scheduling, billing, all that poo poo.

Stupid.

Later on she IM's me again that Doc has called a guy who is a "licensed and bonded" IT tech (like, what the gently caress is this, general contracting?) and who, apparently, set up their "network" initially. And this guy is telling Doc to go replace his desktop with a laptop and to buy an external HDD dock so he still has all his applications and data.

WTF.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sigma X posted:

My girlfriend, who works at a vet's office owned and staffed by a husband-and-wife DVM pair, IM'd me this morning that "the Doc" (husband half) had his desktop poo poo out overnight. The desktop that apparently serves two purposes, as the Doc's workstation and also as the server that runs all the business' applications - scheduling, billing, all that poo poo.

Stupid.

Later on she IM's me again that Doc has called a guy who is a "licensed and bonded" IT tech (like, what the gently caress is this, general contracting?) and who, apparently, set up their "network" initially. And this guy is telling Doc to go replace his desktop with a laptop and to buy an external HDD dock so he still has all his applications and data.

WTF.

I want that job.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Sigma X posted:

Stupid.

WTF.

Reminds me of this from one of the IT threads in SHSC

Backstory, IIRC, is that this was the server setup for a school that the IT guy there thought was a good idea

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Nodoze posted:

Reminds me of this from one of the IT threads in SHSC

Backstory, IIRC, is that this was the server setup for a school that the IT guy there thought was a good idea

Job security!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

Stupid.

WTF.

:catstare: No.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BoostCreep posted:

Yeah, loving horse poo poo.

And there's ways around it. I bought NIN/Soundgarden tickets from a reseller last year at face value about two weeks before the show, nothing was on them except the show info.

I loving hate how the ticketing system for this poo poo works.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Hardwire kits come with a regulator thingy that kicks it down to 5V. I want to hardwire lines for my Galaxy S6, Nexus 7 and eventually a radar detector (which I guess doesn't need to charge, just get power) to turn on with my car. The interior fuse box is on the driver's side and the 15A radio fuse seemed like a valid option.

I want to be able to charge the devices as fast as possible. I was just wondering if I should hardwire a USB hub to an add-a-fuse to the fuse box or buy 2 hardwire kits (and later a 3rd) and splice them all to one add-a-fuse or use a separate add-a-fuse and fuse slow for each device.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Darchangel posted:

Hmmm. I guess my fellow tech was referring to just the fact of having to disassemble the things to get to anything, which is a bitch. It's also possible I wasn't listening closely enough.

You literally need no tools at all to do RAM in most of the iMacs :v: some of the older ones need a philips screwdriver.

Geoj posted:

I know a lot of HP touchpads (at least on their professional line of laptops) have a LED in the top/left corner that disables the pad & illuminates when double-tapped.

yeah but HP trackpads are literally the worst trackpads i've ever had the misfortune to use
perhaps second only to the Samsung trackpad in my old series 9 13" ultrabook which takes until about 2 minutes after you hit the desktop before your configuration is actually applied and it turns off tap-to-click. What the poo poo.
Why can't anyone who isn't Apple make a decent friggen trackpad?!

Geoj posted:

Seconding this product suggestion, everything I have ever bought from Anker has been absolute top quality. They're my go-to brand for USB cables, hubs, chargers and replacement batteries.

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of their PowerPort 6 as it charges everything at the fastest current available (even iOS and android stuff at the same time) and uses a standard figure-eight lead for input with world voltage/frequency input capability.

And it charges ALL MY THINGS AT ONCE!

Agreed, that poo poo's janky as gently caress. How about no.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 20, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The ONLY thing my parents have sent me over the course of the past week they've been in the US is a photo of Harbor Freight from my mum, having clearly been dragged there by my dad.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

Also one day the world will accept that Apple's trackpad is the one true touchpad, with multitouch

gently caress NO, NEVER

42C yesterday, 22C right now. Sydney weather is simply nuts right now.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, loving horse poo poo.

And there's ways around it. I bought NIN/Soundgarden tickets from a reseller last year at face value about two weeks before the show, nothing was on them except the show info.

I loving hate how the ticketing system for this poo poo works.

They just added a second show a day later on the 10th. Trying again tomorrow morning at 10am.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0A004F70B5681B32?artistid=720703&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60&tm_link=tm_changeloc_go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

gently caress NO, NEVER

42C yesterday, 22C right now. Sydney weather is simply nuts right now.

And here i am looking forward to +1 tomorrow.

• Locked thread