Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So the combo I mentioned earlier with Sad Bombs, Ipecac, and Curse of the Tower? I added cluster bombs and glitter bombs.

I now straight up can't die. A million hearts spawn and fly right into me. I finally got the missing poster and a curse room but it's basically impossible for me to kill myself and now I have a curse room filled with bouncing pickups and I think the missing poster despawned. :(

Worst part is I accidentally hit something (probably a stray spider from super bum) in the shop and now I have zero coins left in my donation machine. Try as I might I can't seem to get the game to crash either, which I guess is a good thing but now I'm going to have to go back in and cheat my donation machine back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jibo posted:

So the combo I mentioned earlier with Sad Bombs, Ipecac, and Curse of the Tower? I added cluster bombs and glitter bombs.

I now straight up can't die. A million hearts spawn and fly right into me. I finally got the missing poster and a curse room but it's basically impossible for me to kill myself and now I have a curse room filled with bouncing pickups and I think the missing poster despawned. :(

Worst part is I accidentally hit something (probably a stray spider from super bum) in the shop and now I have zero coins left in my donation machine. Try as I might I can't seem to get the game to crash either, which I guess is a good thing but now I'm going to have to go back in and cheat my donation machine back up.

Sacrifice rooms, not curse rooms. Though you may still have that problem there.

nerdbot posted:

The Lost unlock method was stupid as gently caress and should have been changed ages ago. This one was a very, very good change. The only real reason to complain is that no one told us so everyone was trying to unlock him the old way still.

It's almost like...we could use some patch notes...

Seriously. Patch notes would really help us find out what's a bug and what isn't. Finding out about nerfs on your own is worse than being told about them beforehand. But apparently the excuse they gave was that they were so disorganized that they couldn't keep track of any changes. (Which turned out to be bullshit once they accidentally leaked a patch notes file, which got deleted in the next patch.)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Wait so the keeper can't do devil deals? What is the weird thing that makes him good/different/worth playing??

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Wait so the keeper can't do devil deals? What is the weird thing that makes him good/different/worth playing??

He can do but he can't get more hearts than 2, so any 2 heart deals will instantly kill you.

What makes him worth playing? Nothing. He doesn't unlock anything good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I hope the next character's name is Keyper and his health is keys

do you see how original i am

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Sacrifice rooms, not curse rooms. Though you may still have that problem there.

Seriously. Patch notes would really help us find out what's a bug and what isn't. Finding out about nerfs on your own is worse than being told about them beforehand. But apparently the excuse they gave was that they were so disorganized that they couldn't keep track of any changes. (Which turned out to be bullshit once they accidentally leaked a patch notes file, which got deleted in the next patch.)

There is literally a tweet from a dev where they say they don't have patch notes because they're not game developers, just people who make games

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

There is literally a tweet from a dev where they say they don't have patch notes because they're not game developers, just people who make games

With a bio that claims he's a developer at that

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Pretty sure the next character is Movesy and he starts with 1000 steps and when those run out he can't move anymore.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He can do but he can't get more hearts than 2, so any 2 heart deals will instantly kill you.

What makes him worth playing? Nothing. He doesn't unlock anything good.

You can cheese it with co-op babies tagging in and out, which is exactly what I did to get three brimstones pouring out my drat nose on one run that I hosed up in some way that I forget.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Fighting Ultra Greed with Azazel is still the worst.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

nerdbot posted:

You can cheese it with co-op babies tagging in and out, which is exactly what I did to get three brimstones pouring out my drat nose on one run that I hosed up in some way that I forget.

How does that work?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I sent a suggestion to him to make Holy Water work like Bob's Brain - goes with tear, shatters and leaves holy water creep. will respawn eventually like the brain does. This would make the item usable without making it overpowered, I think.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

RatHat posted:

Fighting Ultra Greed with Azazel is still the worst.

If you can find a treasure room with My Reflection in it, it has a wonky interaction with Azazel's attack where it doubles the range but sort of locks the endpoint of it to where you first let go of the attack. Works perfectly well for Ultra Greed, almost as long ranged as normal Brimstone.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

senrath posted:

How does that work?

Tag in a co-op baby so you have one health. Pick up the 2-heart Devil Deal. Tag co-op baby back in while you're in the item pickup animation. You have a 2-heart devil deal and one heart. Since you're Keeper, best done if you've got a health up item outside your door.

For obvious mathematical reasons, only really of any benefit when you're at zero red hearts.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
this game is cool

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I AM BRAWW posted:

this game is cool

:yeah:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was about to mention My Reflection as an item that needs a boost, because I avoid it like the plague and can think of almost no situations where I'd take it. Shoop da Woop is very bad too, hmm...Dead Sea Scrolls as a 4-charge item is boring as hell. Those are the three that come to mind right now as buff targets.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So i just reached the Boss Rush and only had two pickups waiting for me... Do we not get to choose between 4 items anymore?

Sorry for the half-assed Paint cropping

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Rorus Raz posted:

The people who play it n YouTube/Twitch for a living, of course!

Nah I know a few of them and they aren't happy about this poo poo, either. In general there's kind of a "why are you doing this poo poo now?" feeling

The specific nerf of stopwatch wouldn't be bad in a world where 1) it wasn't special and 2) the Lost didn't exist. Like, clearly the item is "too strong" if you actually care about balance (I kind of don't). Of course it's a long grind to get it and some of the challenges are dumb, so hey, why not?

From a race perspective, the Stopwatch was always kind of a tricky item to figure out. It is a speed up and it does make it a lot safer to use orbitals or melee strats with the knife. That said, it's not mapping so people do sometimes roll it.

HenryEx posted:

So i just reached the Boss Rush and only had two pickups waiting for me... Do we not get to choose between 4 items anymore?

Yup! For some reason they nerfed the boss rush. Sometimes it's 2, sometimes it's 4.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

This was not anywhere near as crazy as the bubbling sea of items I had in the sacrifice room.

So now the question is, how do you consistently spawn Missing Poster? My method of getting Restock and buying everything until Mom's Box shows up didn't quite work. I did get the poster eventually thanks to an endless stream of chests from Super Bum but for some reason after a million D6 rolls on 5 items at a time I just couldn't get the box to spawn.

Mom's Box doesn't seem terribly uncommon on it's own but who knows how many charges it will take to actually get the poster.

Also, regarding The Keeper and Devil Deals, keep in mind that Judas' Tongue makes all deals cost one heart so that could potentially be a great trinket for him.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Dias posted:

I was about to mention My Reflection as an item that needs a boost, because I avoid it like the plague and can think of almost no situations where I'd take it. Shoop is very bad too, hmm...Dead Sea Scrolls as a 4-charge item is boring as hell. Those are the three that come to mind right now as buff targets.

Shoop da Woop is actually pretty good since it scales with damage really well. It's just that more often than not, you just don't need it because you already have brimstone or a good tear effect, or you find it super early where it actually is trash tier.

My Reflection just needs tear range increased. It shouldn't affect how far your tears actually travel out from you before boomeranging back. That's the only thing that kills it.

Scrolls are legit awful.

I tweeted to Edmund about making Cupid's Arrow either weighted to be more common, or give it Charm tears in addition to Piercing, because as is just Piercing is 99% of the time redundant on top of it feeling like it's an incredibly rare item.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HenryEx posted:

There are a bunch of different layouts for the boss rush room, the rarest of which (that one) only gives you 2 items. Other variations include the items being guarded by spikes, two being free and two being surrounded by rocks, and all 4 items being in the separate corners just for variety's sake.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The Beans, Poop, Crack in the Sky, Abel, Leech could be smarter, Book of Secrets, Aries, Mysterious Liquid, Scissors, I'm sure there's more.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Having just played a Lost game as a break from the Keeper, the Lost is much much more powerful.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dias posted:

I was about to mention My Reflection as an item that needs a boost, because I avoid it like the plague and can think of almost no situations where I'd take it. Shoop da Woop is very bad too, hmm...Dead Sea Scrolls as a 4-charge item is boring as hell. Those are the three that come to mind right now as buff targets.
My Reflection is pretty ok and actually good with lump of coal.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

IronicDongz posted:

My Reflection is pretty ok and actually good with lump of coal.

God, I disagree, it's one of those items that a half-decent setup will be better off without. Also, the range on it is too short.

Shoop da Woop might scale okay with tear damage, but it's still half as strong as a Brimstone laser and you get one shot per two rooms. Unless I have nothing on space bar, I just don't bother with it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't played Afterbirth that much yet, so I might be wrong, but something I noticed is that when the DLC first came out, no rooms spawned in the remaining empty corner of three-block rooms. Now they do so regularly. Including secret rooms. Either RNG playing up or a bug fix.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Tiny Planet, Cursed Eye, Mom's Pad, Breath of Life, Lucky Foot?

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The Beans, Poop, Crack in the Sky, Abel, Leech could be smarter, Book of Secrets, Aries, Mysterious Liquid, Scissors, I'm sure there's more.

Didn't Crack the Sky already get buffed? I thought I read that. Still never pick it up!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Edmund Honda posted:

Tiny Planet, Cursed Eye, Mom's Pad, Breath of Life, Lucky Foot?

Didn't Crack the Sky already get buffed? I thought I read that. Still never pick it up!

Tiny planet with brimstone or azazel is pretty great

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Tiny Planet is crazy good with Lump of Coal too.

Mysterious Liquid is fine, it really wrecks stationary and/or big bosses and splitting enemies.

Scissors is pretty awful, yeah.

I'm not sure what they could really do with Guillotine but as it is it gives me a headache to use. Maybe have the tears fire from Isaac's body instead and just treat it as a orbital?

And unless it was nerfed in the last patch, Dead Sea Scrolls is a 2 room charge. I still don't like it though, since you have a chance of getting stomped on by Monstro if you use it in a room with no enemies, or just getting Kamikaze. It'd also be nice if it could use almost all the spacebar items(in particular Dad's Key) instead of just a small selection.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 21, 2015

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Just confirmed: Mysterious Paper also works for unlocking The Lost/respawning as him.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Finally managed to break Greed mode hard enough to get the Keeper. With the most recent patch, even a character at 20% break chance can get 7 coins per run before breaking the machine. Took maybe an hour, and I had Marked and Continuum, so pretty much just walk in the room, wait 10 seconds for ultra greed to get murdered by the purple seizure orbs, donate, blue hourglass. Wheeeee, never loving with that again.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What do you need to unlock challenge 26? The wiki says you have to defeat ??? or the lamb, but I've done both of those things.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Ariong posted:

What do you need to unlock challenge 26? The wiki says you have to defeat ??? or the lamb, but I've done both of those things.

I think you need to have at least fought one angel or gotten a keypiece at some point, I've heard.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I just got the Censer for the first time and holy poo poo this thing is almost as good as the pre-nerf Stopwatch. It's a familiar that gives off a huge aura that slows anything inside it. Obviously it's not as good if it's at the end of a huge familiar chain though, and it's an Angel room item.

EDIT: Aww it doesn't slow bosses.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Does anyone know, for Afterbirth, how you can turn off the overlays in certain levels? Like Womb, Burning Basement, Depths, etc. Every time I try to stream for friends it chokes on any level with those effects.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Very first lost greed run after unlocking holy mantle for him...

Yea full screen godhead with insane damage up, never popped the mantle and still had a 1up as a backup

I think afterbirth is amazing and has balanced the game well. Now that you start with holy mantle it's a thousand times easier to get going as lost so the stopwatch nerf is not even on my radar.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Black August posted:

Does anyone know, for Afterbirth, how you can turn off the overlays in certain levels? Like Womb, Burning Basement, Depths, etc. Every time I try to stream for friends it chokes on any level with those effects.

Mod the game. There's no option to turn them off.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

Mod the game. There's no option to turn them off.

Oh. Well that's fantastic. There's no simple Options thing I can tick to a 0? Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Black August posted:

Oh. Well that's fantastic. There's no simple Options thing I can tick to a 0? Christ.

That's for games made by "actual developers". :v: