Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

Was that first battle the one with a Warspite that never loaded in? Yeah, that battle sucked. Effectively down two ships, as one didn't load in until after he was dead(and that was at least 5-6 minutes into the match), and another that had a disconnect, and didn't load back in until it had already been decided, and your Fuso's shells were being magnetically attracted to citadels at any range.
Oh, yeah. I got a sick double kill at B, though, which I was pretty smug about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Lots of DD in ranked... seems like I can at least get a game now.

It's like 1 BB, 2 CL, 4 DD.

The CL on my teams have yet to kill a DD. :emo:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Hazdoc posted:

But then Wargaming gave the Kitakami to Ranked people, without even mentioning they were considering that as a reward

For reals?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Yeah. I'm more than a tiny bit upset.

And ranked is loving awful. I don't want to sit in queue for 6 minutes to find out if my team is going to forgo any semblance of teamwork and lose horrendously or not. Doesn't matter if I get 3 kills and torpedo the poo poo out of everything, if my team wants to sit broadside all game and get citadeled to death, and our DDs suicide in at the start of the match, I can't do poo poo.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anyone have any tips on trying to kill cruisers when in a IJN DD?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ReapersTouch posted:

Anyone have any tips on trying to kill cruisers when in a IJN DD?

That's not really what you're SUPPOSED to be doing, but you totally can.

As a cruiser player, here's what causes me to die: losing energy in a big turn. Most cruisers lose a lot of energy in turns and thus can't evade nearly as well. If you can set up a situation where a cruiser will be broadside to your torps halfway through a turn, he's boned. This is kind of a tricky thing to set up, but it's pretty terrible to have it happen to you.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Lost 2 and win streaked with my Murmansk to rank 10. Guess I'll use my Mogami now (but I wish I had a Kiev).

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ranked is Tier 5/6 correct? I'll probably actually try it this season once I get these monthly quests done. Probably Cleveland if lots of people use DDs

Ugh just had my usual game on 2x weekends where I kill 3 ships and the 11 guys on the rest of my team manage 1.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lakedaimon posted:

Ranked is Tier 5/6 correct? I'll probably actually try it this season once I get these monthly quests done. Probably Cleveland if lots of people use DDs

Ugh just had my usual game on 2x weekends where I kill 3 ships and the 11 guys on the rest of my team manage 1.

Only T5-6 until you hit Rank 10, then it becomes 7-8.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pity Wargaming doesn't have a French ship model ready to go out as a premium, it'd be a good time to make a bunch of money show solidarity over Paris and donate a portion to a French charity

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I think making Ranked from 10 to 1 Tiers 7-8 was a mistake on WG's part. They're double dipping into an already smallish group of people (Rank 10s), and then limiting it further by the tiers they can use. If it was Tiers 5-6 the whole way through, there'd be more people playing. Faster matches means more people are willing to queue up, etc.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Hazdoc posted:

I think making Ranked from 10 to 1 Tiers 7-8 was a mistake on WG's part. They're double dipping into an already smallish group of people (Rank 10s), and then limiting it further by the tiers they can use. If it was Tiers 5-6 the whole way through, there'd be more people playing. Faster matches means more people are willing to queue up, etc.

That wasn't the the case last season. Still big wait times. After awhile you get tired of having no impact on your rank and last season no real prize was mentioned. My prized Colorado isn't much good in the exclusive 7-8 tier group.

Is the NC good at stock or do I need to free exp?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah. I'm more than a tiny bit upset.

And ranked is loving awful. I don't want to sit in queue for 6 minutes to find out if my team is going to forgo any semblance of teamwork and lose horrendously or not. Doesn't matter if I get 3 kills and torpedo the poo poo out of everything, if my team wants to sit broadside all game and get citadeled to death, and our DDs suicide in at the start of the match, I can't do poo poo.

I thought the Kitakami was just a loaner ship, like the Russian DD and German CA they gave out for a bit before the trees arrived?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

I thought the Kitakami was just a loaner ship, like the Russian DD and German CA they gave out for a bit before the trees arrived?

It is, it's going away.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In some ways I'd prefer Kitakami to be a reward ship rather than ever regularly available. At least with those who managed to get up to Rank 1 there's a decent chance they're competent, and with a ship that can be as finicky and teamkilly as Kitakami is I'm a bit twitchy as to letting everyone with some cash to blow just buy it. Already plenty of idiots moronically launching torpedoes that endanger allied ships more than the enemy, and allowing them access to a ship that launches literal walls of them is alarming.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

In some ways I'd prefer Kitakami to be a reward ship rather than ever regularly available. At least with those who managed to get up to Rank 1 there's a decent chance they're competent, and with a ship that can be as finicky and teamkilly as Kitakami is I'm a bit twitchy as to letting everyone with some cash to blow just buy it. Already plenty of idiots moronically launching torpedoes that endanger allied ships more than the enemy, and allowing them access to a ship that launches literal walls of them is alarming.

There are already at least two people I've seen who are using the fact you cant lose credits with the KTKM to intentionally TK as many people as possible.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I'd rather the IJN CA line gets its split to CL and CA, and the Kitakami is one of the high tier CLs.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ranbo das posted:

There are already at least two people I've seen who are using the fact you cant lose credits with the KTKM to intentionally TK as many people as possible.

What, has WG disabled pink status for them too? Losing credits has never deterred some jackasses from pulling this type of poo poo, and after the first ship or two they should be blowing themselves up via reciprocal damage, along with warning players in all future games about them until they actually play with the team for a bit.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

What, has WG disabled pink status for them too? Losing credits has never deterred some jackasses from pulling this type of poo poo, and after the first ship or two they should be blowing themselves up via reciprocal damage, along with warning players in all future games about them until they actually play with the team for a bit.
Considering the delayed nature of torpedoes, I imagine even with a pink name they could launch 40 torps and have the friendly hits roll in and still be doing damage after they're dead.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Considering the delayed nature of torpedoes, I imagine even with a pink name they could launch 40 torps and have the friendly hits roll in and still be doing damage after they're dead.

This is true, but torpedoes take a while to load, and you can guarantee I'm staying nowhere near a pink Kitakami if I see one at match start. Not that this in any way excuses this poo poo, but the ship was causing plenty of issues in CBT too, even when people weren't deliberately being assholes, due to people launching without bothering to check their firing lane.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

This is true, but torpedoes take a while to load, and you can guarantee I'm staying nowhere near a pink Kitakami if I see one at match start. Not that this in any way excuses this poo poo, but the ship was causing plenty of issues in CBT too, even when people weren't deliberately being assholes, due to people launching without bothering to check their firing lane.

Eh, that would be the same problem if WG decides to make a high tier premium DD with long range torpedoes. Its just easier with the Kitakami, due to the slower nature of being a cruiser (so you aren't already ahead of everyone when you launch torps), and the 5 quad tubes making it very hard for someone caught in the friendly crossfire to not get hit.

Removing friendly fire would help alleviate some of the problem, I suppose, but then it eliminates opportunities for poo poo like this to happen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCrDM7F-ALc
Perfect time for me to upload a new video.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Target fixation 101.. how that dude did not see them coming and was able to evade is textbook players in most matches. The only thing better than that is watching them fire a full spread with a couple of friendlies ahead of them with nowhere to go but to the bottom of the sea.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Pacra posted:

I tried getting into the chinese game but it feels so.... blaah.

Nevermind, chinese game is way more fun than current state of WoWS

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Pacra posted:

Nevermind, chinese game is way more fun than current state of WoWS

Its fun but god is it ugly as poo poo. I loaded up WoWS for the first time in a few weeks just to check something and was reminded just how much better it looks.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

What's the recommended 3-point skill for an IJN DD captain?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Sperglord Actual posted:

Superintendent.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Sperglord Actual posted:

Superintendent for all DD captains.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Never stop trolling.. you can eventually land one of these gems who has a complete melt down.

As an added bonus I PM'ed this fine player after the match to "kindly inform you that I submitted a complaint ticket to support for your language.." and he replied back with I will loving kill you.. so I screened and submitted that too. I love Sundays in Warships.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
i thought you uninstalled the game :colbert:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
At my in-laws house for the weekly 'family' gathering and we go hide in the computer room to play video games so we don't have to listen to all the screaming kids. RIP him with four kids.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Those playing ranked 10 and below, how is the North Carolina in these settings? I only played the ship briefly in CBT. I'm assuming it's pretty good with the limit on competition... trying to figure out what ships I should sell.

I'm finding that it's almost next to impossible to carry these games in a CA. DD is better because you can do something pubbies never do (cap) with ease.

Just unlocked NC, first game Personal Best for damage... I think this could work. Shell dispersion seems a little big though, if I had to critique.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 23, 2015

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Scraped up enough credits for a Farragut. Seems fun so far.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I've been playing for two weeks and just now thought to check and see if there was a goons group that liked floating around and penetrating destroyers with BB AP.

Hello darkness, my old friend.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

I've been playing for two weeks and just now thought to check and see if there was a goons group that liked floating around and penetrating destroyers with BB AP.

Hello darkness, my old friend.

I've got 14 out of the 15 kills needed for that monthly BB mission, and I swear like 10 of those kills are DDs trying (and failing) to make close quarters torpedo runs on my Fuso.

I really hate the Ibuki grind, im halfway to the Zao but right now there seems to be little point to owning a Tier X.

On the bright side im very close to the Kiev and will probably have enough silver to buy either the Nagato or the Colorado. Im probably leaning towards the Nagato.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So did I miss out on buying the Imperator Nikolai on the US server at the beginning of this month, or have they not offered it on NA yet?

I'm kind of at the point where I really just enjoy playing premiums.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So did I miss out on buying the Imperator Nikolai on the US server at the beginning of this month, or have they not offered it on NA yet?

I'm kind of at the point where I really just enjoy playing premiums.

It seems it was out early on the 2nd of november :ohdear: and i was really looking forward to it too. how long are these windows? it seems they put them up for a day or something.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

Those playing ranked 10 and below, how is the North Carolina in these settings? I only played the ship briefly in CBT. I'm assuming it's pretty good with the limit on competition... trying to figure out what ships I should sell.

I'm finding that it's almost next to impossible to carry these games in a CA. DD is better because you can do something pubbies never do (cap) with ease.

Just unlocked NC, first game Personal Best for damage... I think this could work. Shell dispersion seems a little big though, if I had to critique.

If you're in a CA in ranked, your first order of business is to kill DDs if they are spotted and in range. If that is not possible, manuevering into a better position to cover your DDs and murder enemy DDs. Once that is achieved, kill enemy CAs, then BBs if none are left. Once all enemy DDs are dead prioritize low health enemies that can threaten your team, then the most threatening enemies, then whoever is left.

If you're a BB, prioritize dealing damage to enemy CAs. If a DD comes close and you're confident you can hit it, go for it, but often you'll just miss when you could have put that AP into something with a citadel instead. Shooting hostile BBs should only occur if one gets low, or puts itself in a terrible position, or if all enemy CAs are being evasive while the BBs expose broadsides. Don't eat torps like a chump.

If you're a RUS DD, kill enemy DDs and cap. If you're a US DD, kill IJN DDs and try to force a close range fight with a RUS DD, as you'll be at a disadvantage in a ranged battle with a RUS DD. Torpedo things once caps are secured and enemy DDs are dead or otherwise no longer a threat. IJN DDs cap and torpedo any target that looks good. If you have CAs nearby and the enemy doesn't, you can pop in and try to light up a hostile DD you know is nearby, for a quick execution by your friendly CAs. Not dying, however, is the primary directive for a DD.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
after a bunch of rage-inducing bad luck trying to play destroyers, i hopped into a match today and had this happen:

:stare:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I think ranked is basically all luck.

No one does what they're supposed to do, and I'm getting sick of 100k damage losses.
7 of my last 8, no one doing anything to win. I'll be back at rank 10 in no time.

I really wish they'd let you squad up so skill can actually be assessed.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Me and an Atago just turned around a 2v5 Ranked game and won. The Atago killed 2 CAs, I sunk a Hatsu, then while running from a full health NC, one of my torpedoes hits... FOR A DETONATION. Full health. HOLY SHITTTTTTTTT