Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Volmarias posted:

I just realized; with the way that ComStar tries to assassinate any IS scientist who's actually creating a threat to the status quo, did this Society guy engineer the HPG attack in the planet so that he could do his work without ROM being able to easily interfere?

The Holy Shroud ops are a little impossible, what with all these memory cores cluttering up the sphere.

Though I admit to thinking, "man, Blake's Wrath nuked the wrong facility."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I just realized; with the way that ComStar tries to assassinate any IS scientist who's actually creating a threat to the status quo, did this Society guy engineer the HPG attack in the planet so that he could do his work without ROM being able to easily interfere?

Are the Capellan Power Rangers loyal to him over the CapCon now? :ohdear:

Well, the clans have and make HPG's themselves, don't they?

More terrifyingly for C* is the possibility that they actually have -competition- now.
The kind that both has the lead on tech they were keeping suppressed, and that just forced them to pull out of their space so they could assemble their own network.

Remember, their new mechs are in production and they've turned out at least ten models in total secrecy.
This also means the cappies have a lostech-equivalent factory somewhere comstar doesn't know about.

And with an intentionally forced interdiction, any of their operatives in the area are now severely out of touch.

Eagerly awaiting the cappies to come out of the dark with their own transmission network and tell comstar to get hosed.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

Remember, their new mechs are in production and they've turned out at least ten models in total secrecy.
Genuine question: how many in-universe years has it been since the raid when Capellans picked up all the new Clan tech?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
About 1. We're pushing 3035 now.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

TheParadigm posted:

Well, the clans have and make HPG's themselves, don't they?

More terrifyingly for C* is the possibility that they actually have -competition- now.

You mean the clans are verizon? Half the cost for twice the minutes and extended coverage?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TildeATH posted:

You mean the clans are verizon? Half the cost for twice the minutes and extended coverage?

The clans have actual space cell phones in the form of WarShip mounted HPGs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Much like ComStar, the Clan's HPG network was built a couple centuries ago and they've been sitting complacently on it. Even the HPG WarShips are old Star League units.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
I don't remember the title of the only battletech novel I read, but it did involve Comanchos Cabelleros. They were on Luthien or something while the DCMS was showing off some new mechs based on clan tech, like the Avatar. There was some plot to kill a big name Kurita I think?

I remember it not being terrible all those years ago, though I don't know how I'd feel about re-reading it today. Anyone know the title?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
That's Black Dragon. It was good.

Though, man, you don't want to be a Caballeros tech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It still amuses me that Chandrasekhar Kurita did more to prompt the Wars of Reaving than anything the Clans ever did.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Octavion posted:

The hate for Far Country makes me cry a solitary Tetatae tear. Especially since at least 3 bird legged mechs and 2 bird named mechs are in this scenario.

Squawk :duckie:

It's a badly written book.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
How did it happen, does anyone know? Presumably even BT had an editorial team, even if it was Steve, office continuity guy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Book publishing is a wild frontier.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Loxbourne posted:

How did it happen, does anyone know? Presumably even BT had an editorial team, even if it was Steve, office continuity guy.

Supposedly the plan in addition to the main series was to write a bunch of spin-offs centred around the Explorer Corps who would be going out and encountering all sorts of strange new life and new civilisations and boldly going where no Phoenix Hawk had been before. But Far Country flopped so badly they ended up completely dropping the idea.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

Editing is lostech.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ferrosol posted:

Supposedly the plan in addition to the main series was to write a bunch of spin-offs centred around the Explorer Corps who would be going out and encountering all sorts of strange new life and new civilisations and boldly going where no Phoenix Hawk had been before. But Far Country flopped so badly they ended up completely dropping the idea.

That sounds about right. Wouldn't be the first time they frantically pumped the brakes after something was poorly received,

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Much like ComStar, the Clan's HPG network was built a couple centuries ago and they've been sitting complacently on it. Even the HPG WarShips are old Star League units.

It's not like the Clans actually have economies worthy of note, much less ones capable of making GBS threads out WarShips on anything resembling a regular basis.

Does the totality of the Clans even match CapCon's output?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I doubt it, since the whole Kerensky Cluster is like 30 worlds and even the CC totals a couple hundred. The CC may not be doing well but they'd have to be devoting research teams to discovering new ways to undermine and devalue their GDP to do a worse job than the Clans.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

While the CapCon might be small in terms of light-years, their space is extremely dense with inhabited and developed worlds. Hell I think they have as many as any of the other successor states despite being half the size.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that was only true prior to the First Succession War. By 3025, the CC is down to about 200 worlds, whereas the others tend to range between 350-500

e: Those historical maps are really worth looking at. Did you know the Lyran-Kurita border used to be at Rasalhague? The snakes have done very well for themselves on both sides.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 21, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think that was only true prior to the First Succession War. By 3025, the CC is down to about 200 worlds, whereas the others tend to range between 350-500

e: Those historical maps are really worth looking at. Did you know the Lyran-Kurita border used to be at Rasalhague? The snakes have done very well for themselves on both sides.

Whoops. I was honestly just spitballing based on seeing all the names on the star map. But I figure they've probably closed most of the gap by 3150.

edit: It feels like the CapCon are poorest off right when the game was started and have been regaining ground since then.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 21, 2015

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

It's not like the Clans actually have economies worthy of note, much less ones capable of making GBS threads out WarShips on anything resembling a regular basis.

And yet they accounted for eight Nightlords, two Conquerors, three Leviathans (Leviathan itself, Great Bear, and Perigrad Zalman), some number of Peregrines, and probably some others we aren't aware of, so that kinda goes to show that much like 80's America, the Space 80's will deficit spend to support an over-sized navy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Clans do have an advantage in the form of orbital factories. They didn't leverage them very well, but I imagine Clanspec endo-steel would be much easier to make in space.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GenericServices posted:

And yet they accounted for eight Nightlords, two Conquerors, three Leviathans (Leviathan itself, Great Bear, and Perigrad Zalman), some number of Peregrines, and probably some others we aren't aware of, so that kinda goes to show that much like 80's America, the Space 80's will deficit spend to support an over-sized navy.

In over 200 years. The Leviathans hardly even count, since they were built in the Ghost Bear occupation zone in the 3060s. Most of the ones they did build were only because a few Clans decided they needed to own the biggest Space Penis.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 21, 2015

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Volmarias posted:

Are the Capellan Power Rangers loyal to him over the CapCon now? :ohdear:

Update said :science: was given complete authority to requisition personnel and equipment as he saw fit. So at the moment there is no conflict of loyalty.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Whoops. I was honestly just spitballing based on seeing all the names on the star map. But I figure they've probably closed most of the gap by 3150.

edit: It feels like the CapCon are poorest off right when the game was started and have been regaining ground since then.

Well, they literally COULD NOT lose any more ground after the 4SW and be in any way meaningful going forward. They were down to just one Mech factory (on Sian) and one Vehicle factory (on Grand Base, later grew up to become a Mech factory). The Great Houses are the main characters of the story and so when one of them needs to win to stay relevant then you bet your rear end they will.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

In over 200 years. The Leviathans hardly even count, since they were built in the Ghost Bear occupation zone in the 3060s. Most of the ones they did build were only because a few Clans decided they needed to own the biggest Space Penis.

You are incorrect. The Leviathans were under construction when Outbound Light arrived in the Clan Homeworlds. Construction was deliberately paused due to the ensuing chaos. The partially completed hulls were finished as transports in the mid-3050s and utilized to help transport Ghost Bear civilian populace and industrial assets to the Inner Sphere, where they were then rebuilt into their battleship configuration. Perigrad Zalman is the only known Leviathan hull to be completed in the Homeworlds, and that one is... special.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well, they literally COULD NOT lose any more ground after the 4SW and be in any way meaningful going forward. They were down to just one Mech factory (on Sian) and one Vehicle factory (on Grand Base, later grew up to become a Mech factory). The Great Houses are the main characters of the story and so when one of them needs to win to stay relevant then you bet your rear end they will.

Fair enough.

Getting a historian's perspective summing up the 31st century ought to be interesting.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

The clan scientist does make it rather likely that the CapCon has the ability to use, if not make, the HPG network without the aid of comstar. So they probably were just fine with taking out the admin building until comstar "modestly" made a several mile wide crater out of the city around it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Clans do have an advantage in the form of orbital factories. They didn't leverage them very well, but I imagine Clanspec endo-steel would be much easier to make in space.

This is canon actually, you NEED space based production for good endosteel... I forget which book (one of the rpg ones?) but yeah, taking out gravity helps with making sure crap forms right apparently.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Fair enough.

Getting a historian's perspective summing up the 31st century ought to be interesting.
That reminds me of a blurb from the Brush Wars Historical saying that if anyone less psychotic or more reasonable than Romano was in charge, the Capellans would've folded when the Anduriens invaded, but they held out long enough for NO YOU SHUT UP to happen because they correctly feared for their lives if they didn't stand their ground.

AtomikKrab posted:

This is canon actually, you NEED space based production for good endosteel... I forget which book (one of the rpg ones?) but yeah, taking out gravity helps with making sure crap forms right apparently.
I think that there's an Era Report sourcebook around the Clan Invasion or Star League time frame that details how the rediscovered tech works, and in some cases what kept them from developing the different size models.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Something I like about PTN's take on the setting is he seems a lot more free to make drastic changes to the status quo. The Combine collapsing into the Suns is a lot more drastic than the Federated Commonwealth, and the Clans have been engaged in all kinds of crazy schemes that've made them seem like a lot more of a savvy and diverse group.

That, and all these Sphere-changing events have apparently happened in under a year.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Speaking of PTN changes, my memory is fuzzy. are the Ghost Bears wiped out, or just the ones that came to attack the Inner Sphere?

It'd be a shame to see them go. :saddowns:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think they're mostly back in the homeworlds or something? Some of them went with the Snow Ravens and Sea Foxes to kill Amaris.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Guess the Clans aren't much for developing new technologies unless said technology lets them fight better.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rorahusky posted:

Guess the Clans aren't much for developing new technologies unless said technology lets them fight better.

They brought essentially the entire SLDF fleet with them and never really needed more after that whole nearly wiping themselves out on the Pentagon Worlds thing followed by the average life expectancy of a warrior being 40 something. Then suddenly the Snow Ravens and Ghost Bears wanted giant, extra expensive dickships to show off with.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Fair enough.

Hmm... I'm a historian in real life, and I ALSO know a shitload about the 31st century...

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

GhostStalker posted:

Just don't let Caesar get headcapped/die. Defiance Industries would never forgive you.

I'll do my best, but sometimes Battletech! happens.

Also, I have a few questions for PTN regarding the mace. Does it have the usual hit / miss penalties for maces as laid out in TacOps, and does it follow TacOps' damage scaling?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

I'll do my best, but sometimes Battletech! happens.

Also, I have a few questions for PTN regarding the mace. Does it have the usual hit / miss penalties for maces as laid out in TacOps, and does it follow TacOps' damage scaling?

I think the more important question is which 'Mech you're actually piloting since your name is on both the Wolverine II and the King Cobra :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

I think the more important question is which 'Mech you're actually piloting since your name is on both the Wolverine II and the King Cobra :v:

I did ask about that, but it looks like it was overlooked. :v:

I assume I'm in the King Cobra since TheParadigm is in the Timber Wolf and my name is above his on the Mechwarrior list, but the mace issue is important no matter who is piloting it.

• Locked thread