Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That'd make a good miniseries anthology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'd want it to really emphasize the idea of "space is huge and weird and doesn't give a gently caress about humanity" without leaning on the horror elements 100% of the time. Like yeah have the characters find hostile and dangerous stuff, but let them find some awe-inspiring stuff, too. Let them find some crazy stuff that leaves them wondering "what does it mean?", but it's not directedly hostile, it just.... exists. It isn't part of a grand design any more than a tornado.

Then again in a lot of ways that's what the Black Goo is - it defies the Engineer's "design" by acting in unpredictable ways. When viewed from a distance it can be beautiful and can create ecosystems, but direct contact is like being caught in a maelstrom.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Basebf555 posted:

As someone who enjoys the first hour of Alien much more than the second hour, I'd have been fine with every Alien sequel being about a completely different "first contact with new form of life" scenario. All directed by Ridley Scott of course.

I strongly agree with this. I just love gritty tense space exploration. My favourite parts of Alien are the parts with no alien in it. Just regular ship life, checking out a spooky planet, poo poo going wrong. Hell I'd be fine with an "alien" movie with no alien in it. Maybe just some corporate drama stranding some people on a creepy planet. What ever, just give me clunky tech and a spooky oppressive vibe.

Have them deal with rival corporate sabotage. Dangerous or unethical cargo, anything, just give me cool space situations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

On that note, how many people saw Europa Report? I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it's all about how weird and big space is, and how little we know. My big take-away from the movie was that space is unpredictable and sometimes dangerous, but that doesn't mean it's not worth exploring.

And if you want clunky tech and a spooky vibe, I also really liked Apollo 18. I'm a huge sucker for found footage movies, and that one went to some pretty great lengths to make it feel like you were watching actual NASA archive footage. As a space/NASA nerd who likes a good conspiracy theory yarn and likes found footage, it pushed all the right buttons for me.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 16, 2015

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Europa Report is a definite slow burn and good if you like that sort of thing (ie the first hour of Alien).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The key to Prometheus is in how the opening scene is interpreted.

Shaw, of course, believes that the statue-man's disintegration is the literal story an Ancient Alien landing on a primordial Earth and 'seeding' it with life. This interpretation has become generally accepted as 'canon'. (Although Scott himself has noted that this specific scene doesn't necessarily take place on Earth, it's still considered analogous to what 'actually did' happen here.)

The trick is that Shaw has totally misinterpreted the imagery; the alien man did not emerge from the UFO to sacrifice himself. He is sacrificing himself to the UFO. That's to say that the guy in the opening scene has no idea what his own God wants from him, and he himself is acting on faith.

We can even assume that this whole scene is taking place on their own homeworld.

Huh that's interesting. The UFO in the opening doesn't look like Engineer's own ships, does it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It doesn't look like the Derelict ship, no.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So the Prometheus sequel is now called Alien: Convent.

Alien: Covenant.

The engineers are going to be worshiping the xenomorphs.

You know what that means!

ALIEN VS PREDATOR IS NOW CANON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the pyramid people worshiped the predators actually.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Much like in Scott's Kingdom of Heaven, whoever worships, we lose.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Arglebargle III posted:

Huh that's interesting. The UFO in the opening doesn't look like Engineer's own ships, does it?

Nope; the shape is roughly that of a watermelon seed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

Yeah, the Alien literally emerging from 'within' the seeming normality of regular polite society is a pretty decent image.

It ties in with how often the Alien in the first film looks like a piece of machinery it's standing near, or hiding under. It blends in, perfectly, because it's made from one of us.

NarkyBark posted:

Europa Report is a definite slow burn and good if you like that sort of thing (ie the first hour of Alien).

It's ending is brilliant, and a nice way to do something very unexpected.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 17, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xenomrph posted:

I'd want it to really emphasize the idea of "space is huge and weird and doesn't give a gently caress about humanity" without leaning on the horror elements 100% of the time. Like yeah have the characters find hostile and dangerous stuff, but let them find some awe-inspiring stuff, too. Let them find some crazy stuff that leaves them wondering "what does it mean?", but it's not directedly hostile, it just.... exists. It isn't part of a grand design any more than a tornado.

Then again in a lot of ways that's what the Black Goo is - it defies the Engineer's "design" by acting in unpredictable ways. When viewed from a distance it can be beautiful and can create ecosystems, but direct contact is like being caught in a maelstrom.

Reminds me of Eclipse Phase, where humanity has found weird Gates and uses them to go to other star systems, only to find ruins and emptiness. A huge planet that is actually an artificial Dyson Sphere. Geometric ruins that cannot be explained. poo poo like that. The only other liferform they've met are weird Amoebas who warn humanity not to do things it has already done.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Alien Covenant plot synopsis:

quote:

"Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world -- whose sole inhabitant is the 'synthetic' David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition."

Does this mean they are writing out Shaw/Noomi Rapace?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rapace is still listed in the cast on IMDB.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Rapace is still listed in the cast on IMDB.

I could list myself in the cast on IMDb, for what that's worth.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Please do.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

quote:

"It's alright to say 'poo poo'. It ain't against God."

Best line in the series :v:

On a more serious note I picked up the anthology bluray for 25 bucks at Best Buy. Last time i saw the assembly cut it was the dvd with the distorted audio for the added scenes. Excited as all hell to watch it on bluray.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

David surgically attached himself to her body via head transplant.
:unsmigghh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Well that's interesting.

Maybe the Covenant thing will be a framing device and Fassbender will tell the crew what happened to him and Shaw in flashbacks or something?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Xenomrph posted:

David surgically attached himself to her body via head transplant.
:unsmigghh:

Now I actually want this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Now I actually want this.

How Jodorowsky. Shades of Ironhead.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

She got Hicks'd.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Uhhh, didn't David leave LV-223 at the end of Prometheus in the Engineer ship? What planet are they talking about?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

A new one obviously

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Immortan posted:

Uhhh, didn't David leave LV-223 at the end of Prometheus in the Engineer ship? What planet are they talking about?

Paradise.

You should watch the alternate ending. It's dope as hell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Paradise.

You should watch the alternate ending. It's dope as hell.

I don't think I ever saw the alternate ending.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5EN6v0utk4

. . . huh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Haha, hell loving yes.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but in Alien 3 when Ripley goes looking for the Xenomorph to have it kill her, she hits a large tubular pipe that she mistakes for the Alien's head. Does this seem like a reference to the often analyzed phallic anatomy of the Xenomorph to anyone else? I mean within the film, it seems plausible that Ripley is so full of fear in that scene that she mistakes a pipe for the alien, but within the greater context of the franchise and the commentary surrounding its imagery, it seems like there's another meaning there.

Idk, just throwing that out there. I'm rewatching Alien 3 right now, inspired by the beautiful mod-challenge in the Batman Vs Superman thread.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but in Alien 3 when Ripley goes looking for the Xenomorph to have it kill her, she hits a large tubular pipe that she mistakes for the Alien's head. Does this seem like a reference to the often analyzed phallic anatomy of the Xenomorph to anyone else? I mean within the film, it seems plausible that Ripley is so full of fear in that scene that she mistakes a pipe for the alien, but within the greater context of the franchise and the commentary surrounding its imagery, it seems like there's another meaning there.

Sometimes a penishead is really just a head resembling a penis. She hits the phallic pipe cause it looks like a penis/alien.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

She really beat that dick

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Makes you wonder about the subtext.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Idk, just throwing that out there. I'm rewatching Alien 3 right now, inspired by the beautiful mod-challenge in the Batman Vs Superman thread.

lol if you think there's actually an alien in alien 3 and can't figure out the very obvious fact that it's all her delusions and is in fact killing everyone here self. It's very fight-club esq but probably beyond most of you peon's ability to understand, but understanding or not it's absolutely a fact.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Baronjutter posted:

lol if you think there's actually an alien in alien 3 and can't figure out the very obvious fact that it's all her delusions and is in fact killing everyone here self. It's very fight-club esq but probably beyond most of you peon's ability to understand, but understanding or not it's absolutely a fact.

didn't read cause you did not say "penis" even once in your post :smug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just watched 3 for the first time in like 10 years and it is "A Good Movie". Not a great one by any stretch but a worthwhile thing in this world.

The only really unforgivable thing is how terrible the Alien looks in CGI and stop motion. When it's an animatronic or guy in a suit it looks absolutely brilliant. Any full body shot looks like a completely different creature though. Even if the effect was straight up better it'd still look pretty bad.

I think Xenos are one of those things that only look good because of how solid they are. The second it's a non-physical effect it looses all menace.

Ah well. Still, decent film. Charles Dance should have lived a bit longer and the stigmatisation of the mentally ill was a bit crap. I'd still love to see the Alien 3 that Fincher wanted to make though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was a rod puppet, and it was just rushed, bad compositing because the entire production was a complete disaster.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CelticPredator posted:

It was a rod puppet, and it was just rushed, bad compositing because the entire production was a complete disaster.

Well gently caress. It looks like a puppet whenever it's scampering along the ground but whenever it jumps or runs along a wall or ceiling it moves differently and looks almost completely different. How did they even manage that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There was exactly one CG shot of the alien when its head cracks under the water. Remember it was released in 1992; a year after T2 and a year before Jurassic Park.

It is my favorite bit of trivia about Alien3, though: the rod-puppet optical compositing was so bad a lot of people assume it had to be early crappy CG. I think it's the way it has that horrible green tint that completely doesn't match the lighting of the rest of the shot. Very similar to how the lighting of early CG was incredibly off. If you look at something similar like the hellhounds from Ghostbusters they don't exactly look lifelike but at least the colors vaguely match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Baronjutter posted:

Actually, the subtext (in the theatrical cut, at least) is that Dillon is killing everyone. Note that the the attempted rapist just disappears, and is never mentioned again, after Dillon decides to "re-educate" him with the big lead pipe.

After Ripley tries to sacrifice herself to the alien, and it refuses to kill her (because it needs her alive to eliminate humanity), the exact same sequence of events is repeated with Dillon. Dillon refuses to kill Ripley because he needs her alive to eliminate the alien. This theme reaches a conclusion when Dillon and the alien merge together to form the weird metal alien and, once that creature is dead, Morse can mercy-kill Ripley without any difficulty.